Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue December 12th, 2017, 04:45 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue September 26th, 2017, 04:50 GMT 

Ain't Talkin' wrote:
The Richard Simmons Sweatin' To The Oldies collaborations. Deserves an official release.

That was the stupidest attempt at humor I've read in some time.

How come you're not a moderator?

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue September 26th, 2017, 05:10 GMT 

goodmeats wrote:
Dylan and the Dead rehearsals.

I suggested that before here and was shot down in flames by someone saying that it would be a waste as the copies circulating are of such good quality.
The fact is that Sony could probably improve on the sound and packaging and the set would be available for all to purchase. I think it would be an ideal choice and it certainly puts the official Dylan and The Dead release in the shade.

PostPosted: Tue September 26th, 2017, 05:44 GMT 

Personally I'd like to see the 1984 through to 1987 tours revisited. There's a lot of great performances to be excavated, and the official releases really don't do them justice. The recent Gospel set gives hope that maybe there's more professionally recorded that we don't know about. I don't ever see any set saving Empire Burlesque, or Knocked Out Loaded, as most of the songs, unlike Infidels say, are mediocre at best to begin with, and that's before you factor in Bob's helium singing.

PostPosted: Tue September 26th, 2017, 06:59 GMT 

BotT superbox or I will overturn cars.

PostPosted: Tue September 26th, 2017, 07:03 GMT 

Street Legal demos, please.

PostPosted: Tue September 26th, 2017, 12:02 GMT 

gerardv wrote:
1) 1985-1988. Without all the production junk stripped off, there must be a treasure trove of great music there. I remember Ron Wood saying he was staggered when he heard Knocked Out Loaded. He was convinced from the sessions that Dylan's next album would be a huge come-back.

THIS. Plus some high quality GE Smith-era live.

PostPosted: Tue September 26th, 2017, 12:15 GMT 

Md23Rewls wrote:
BotT superbox or I will overturn cars.

Who would not love a Blood On The Tracks superbox? By the signs though
the box may be sort of empty. The initial A&R Studio sessions have been
in circulation in decent quality and a number of tracks have been officially
released.
Then you have Up To Me & Call Letter and maybe several more outtakes.

Given the lofty reputation of the album & continued interest, I'd say that IF
there were a great deal more than 1cd's worth, Sony would have put out a
bootleg volume of BOTT some years ago.

PostPosted: Tue September 26th, 2017, 12:39 GMT 

Bob Dylan and The Band tour '74. Before the Flood is great, but there are so many more songs from that tour that didn't make it to the album. Also, just include Dylan songs, no songs by The Band.

RTR 75/76. The RTR 75 bootleg and Hard Rain are great, but there are so many songs that didn't make it.

Tour 1978 - Budokan was kind of lame when you compare to some shows later in the tour. A better 78 show would be good. Some of the performances from the Rundown Rehearsals would be amazing if they were better sounding. Depends on whether that stuff was originally recorded on multitrack or on a boom box, which is what I suspect.

PostPosted: Tue September 26th, 2017, 13:01 GMT 
Titanium Member

mystic garden wrote:
I would love to see a box set covering 1983-1987: Infidels outtakes, stripped-down versions and outtakes from the Empire Burlesque and Knocked Out Loaded sessions, and the outtakes and "other album" Dylan had meant to put together for Down in the Groove; this would be a neat roundoff as Down in the Groove included an Infidels outtake and other recordings from this 4-5 year span. This would hopefully also include a DVD release of Hard to Handle and the best of the Petty tours (some of this is absolutely fire), and the rehearsals and best recordings from the tour with The Grateful Dead. And don't forget the Hearts of Fire soundtrack recordings.

Essentially, this would be covering the years between the gospel years and the NET/Oh Mercy sessions. In other words, I don't want to see an Infidels box set - this sounds very boring to me - I would rather a comprehensive reassessment of Dylan's 'lost years', and I think Infidels is essential to be included considering Someone's Got a Hold of My Heart, Clean Cut Kid and Death Is Not the End are found within the other albums.

I don't know, I think maybe Dylan's "lost years" started "Shadows In The Night" and have not end yet.

PostPosted: Tue September 26th, 2017, 13:32 GMT 

Oh yeah, and the full Bromberg sessions.

PostPosted: Tue September 26th, 2017, 13:47 GMT 

In addition to a BOTT Box, Sony really hasn't done a proper Rolling Thunder Revue release yet. By proper, I mean one that really captures the "Revue" aspect of the tour, with a complete show including all sets and songs by the guest artists....Rob Stoner, T-Bone, Mick Ronson, Joan Baez, Ramblin Jack Elliott, Joanie Mitchell, Roger McGuinn. I am partial to the '75 version of RTR, and a release of the Complete "Night of the Hurricane" - as the final concert of the '75 Rolling Thunder - would represent a historic concert and an outstanding performance. Of course the Montreal performance was more fiery, and would be an excellent choice for complete release as well, though perhaps not as "historic" as the final show in NYC.

From the '76 RTR, a release of the complete 25 May Salt Lake City show would be considered a holy grail by many Dylan fans.

PostPosted: Tue September 26th, 2017, 14:00 GMT 

Personally speaking I wouldn't want a Review release with all the other artists.

PostPosted: Tue September 26th, 2017, 14:19 GMT 

bobfan wrote:
Personally speaking I wouldn't want a Review release with all the other artists.

I have a feeling that may be a majority view, and (unfortunately for me) Sony would find such a release "not commercially viable". I'm glad to have what can be found from the RTR tour at Wolfgang's Vault, but would love to have a complete show in the same amazing sound as on BS5.

PostPosted: Tue September 26th, 2017, 15:24 GMT 

gerardv wrote:
Who would not love a Blood On The Tracks superbox? By the signs though
the box may be sort of empty. The initial A&R Studio sessions have been
in circulation in decent quality and a number of tracks have been officially
released.

Then you have Up To Me & Call Letter and maybe several more outtakes.

Given the lofty reputation of the album & continued interest, I'd say that IF
there were a great deal more than 1cd's worth, Sony would have put out a
bootleg volume of BOTT some years ago.

haven't we actually been told that such a set is already in the can, just awaiting the decision to release? and that it involves more than what you're describing here?

PostPosted: Tue September 26th, 2017, 16:10 GMT 

wormington wrote:
And of course the "I'm cold" tracks if they ever were recorded.

Why haven't I heard of this before?

notdarkyet wrote:
Don't think it will be the next one, but one of these years they definitely should release a nice three disc set with the best of the many amazing TEMPLES IN FLAMES performances which Bob Dylan delivered all over Europe thirty years ago.

Yes, yes, yes, oh, god yes!

PostPosted: Tue September 26th, 2017, 16:37 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
wormington wrote:
And of course the "I'm cold" tracks if they ever were recorded.

Why haven't I heard of this before?

Can´t answer that, Anr, boy. Hardly anything is known about them, other than the what´s in the note below that appeared in Uncut I believe, not so long ago

In 1977, while visiting Rolling Thunder tour-mates Steven Soles and T-Bone Burnett, he played a set of songs too frightening to ever be heard again: like Blood On The Tracks 2, with the love torn out. “They were all very, very, very tough, dark, dark, dark songs,” Soles told Howard Sounes. “None of them saw the light of day. They got discarded because I think they were too strong. They were the continuation of the Bob and Sara tale, on the angry side of that conflict.” One of these blackest of tracks, “I’m Cold”, scared Soles. “It was scathing and tough and venomous. A song that would bring a chill to your bones. That’s what it did to me. T-Bone and I, when he left, our mouths were just wide open. We couldn’t even believe what we’d heard.”

PostPosted: Tue September 26th, 2017, 16:47 GMT 

wormington wrote:
Can´t answer that, Anr, boy. Hardly anything is known about them, other than the what´s in the note below that appeared in Uncut I believe, not so long ago

In 1977, while visiting Rolling Thunder tour-mates Steven Soles and T-Bone Burnett, he played a set of songs too frightening to ever be heard again: like Blood On The Tracks 2, with the love torn out. “They were all very, very, very tough, dark, dark, dark songs,” Soles told Howard Sounes. “None of them saw the light of day. They got discarded because I think they were too strong. They were the continuation of the Bob and Sara tale, on the angry side of that conflict.” One of these blackest of tracks, “I’m Cold”, scared Soles. “It was scathing and tough and venomous. A song that would bring a chill to your bones. That’s what it did to me. T-Bone and I, when he left, our mouths were just wide open. We couldn’t even believe what we’d heard.”

Oh, I've heard of those before. Just never heard them called "I'm cold". Weren't those ostensibly in the Tulsa archives?

PostPosted: Tue September 26th, 2017, 16:48 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
wormington wrote:

Oh, I've heard of those before. Just never heard them called "I'm cold". Weren't those ostensibly in the Tulsa archives?

Where did you hear that?
If this is true, you´ve made my year

PostPosted: Tue September 26th, 2017, 16:56 GMT 

wormington wrote:
Where did you hear that?
If this is true, you´ve made my year

Ah, shucks. Didn't mean to get your hopes up. Prolly me misremembering. I thought I read it here, but was prolly just wild speculation and wishful thinking about the mysterious vaults. Some of the elders here will set the record straight soon enuff.

PostPosted: Tue September 26th, 2017, 17:45 GMT 
Titanium Member

The I’m Cold recordings will forever be my holy grail

PostPosted: Tue September 26th, 2017, 22:10 GMT 

I dunno, we forget pretty quickly how the full basement tapes were the holy recordings, the sad eyed lady of the lowlands outtakes were always drooled over and the gospel recordings are for some the holiest of holies. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue September 26th, 2017, 23:04 GMT 

I think it's about time the Bucklen Tape got an official release. In a deluxe edition with a facsimile of Bob's senior yearbook. Is that too much to ask?

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 02:24 GMT 

60s - if they were to dip back into that decade, a release of any JWH outtakes. BUT, if they do release JWH outtakes they should do it without any notice like the original album was released.

70s-
. anything BOTT related, which seems to be the next step already (can't wait!)
. 75-76 set, which is already being talked about. Personally I'd like them to release it separate from the Blood Set
. Street Legal piano demos

80s-
. A scrubbed version of Infidels, maybe call it Clean Cuts (if they include the infidels version of clean cut kid)
. '84 tour, there's some good stuff
. Cleaned up versions of Empire/Knocked Out Loaded. What the heck, id like to hear what it would sound like without all the 80s production
. 86-87 set, maybe a four disc kind of deal. I guess you could do 85 too. I would snatch up this set instantly (Petty shows and the Dead rehearsals, and maybe the Giants stadium show)
. 88 shows , or maybe an official jones beach release, why not?
. Oh Mercy outtakes

Of course I love the 60s work, but I'd pretty much be up for anything outside of that decade.

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 10:51 GMT 

A compilation of live sets from the Never Ending Tour.
The sound of the band has so much changed through the years
and there were some great lead guitarists from G.E Smith to Denny Freeman
the amazing Freddie Koella and of course Charlie Sexton.
Enough material to release a nice box set no?

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 17:20 GMT 

In terms of the NET, there's enough decent '88 sbds to make a good compilation. Then there's complete Supper Club/Unplugged CD/DVD possibilities ready to go, although they're not the NET as such. I'm not sure where the 1996 live recordings on the Not Dark Yet single originate from (Atlanta 1996?) but they're in fantastic quality and great performances too. You also have Hyde Park from that year that was also professionally filmed.
I found the comment about the two guys recording in two separate parts of the auditorium for stereo recordings quite odd. Is it possible to splice audience tapes to produce a stereo recording?