Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon December 18th, 2017, 14:52 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 17:29 GMT 

bobfan wrote:
I found the comment about the two guys recording in two separate parts of the auditorium for stereo recordings quite odd. Is it possible to splice audience tapes to produce a stereo recording?

Conceivably. But even very slight differences in tape speed can make synching them difficult to impossible.

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 18:48 GMT 
Titanium Member

bobfan wrote:
Is it possible to splice audience tapes to produce a stereo recording?

Possible in a digital workstation. No splicing necessary. Hope that the analog machines that did the recording weren't off the charts in terms of wow and flutter. More difficult.

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 19:03 GMT 

hammersmith 1990
They could do a 2cd highlights set and a deluxe version containing all the full shows (bd.com freebie : one of the paris shows)

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 19:28 GMT 

BS14: The Rundown Rehearsal Tapes!
I mean, I don't know if more exist, but it's possible. No? And even a slight increase in audio quality is all that's needed.
Imagine...

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 19:54 GMT 

The Rundown tapes are not interesting enough to warrant a stand alone release, despite what Heylin says. I also don't think you can ever redeem the Empire Burlesque album. Just because they sort of managed it with Another Self Portrait (I say sort of because I still think a lot of the material is rubbish, or average at best) doesn't mean they can do it for every album that got a bad rap. Some of them are just rubbish. For 1990 I actually prefer the Paris run to Hammersmith, particularly the 2nd or 3rd night (can't remember which).
Funny how they are already issuing disclaimers about the NET and I do think the haphazard nature of it, particularly in later years; 2008-2012 The Upbarking Years, anyone? will make it hard to document. Even the more celebrated years of '89 and '90 would come as shock to the uninitiated. Safe to say I don't think we'll ever see anything from late '90, early '91. The helium years of '92 and '93 present their own problems, before we have the relatively assured years of '94-96 and so on...

PostPosted: Thu September 28th, 2017, 01:30 GMT 
Promethium Member

I'd also cast a hearty vote for a London/Paris 1990 set - 2 discs of highlights and a deluxe version. Both should be easy to assemble if the shows were, indeed, professionally recorded. Speaking of...the more I think about it the more I think those comments regarding NET recording quality must be at least somewhat wrong. Many shows may have a poor mix but surely many others do not. Think about the Roseland soundboards, for heaven's sake! Even if they only have "some" shows in that kind of quality it will blow minds when the best of it is collected and shoved up the public. They don't deserve it!!!

I suspect there are some scattered multi-tracks, too. I apologize for publishing speculation on an internet forum, I have been partying a little and just can't help myself.

PostPosted: Thu September 28th, 2017, 06:29 GMT 

bobfan wrote:
The Rundown tapes are not interesting enough to warrant a stand alone release, despite what Heylin says.

In your opinion? They're equally interesting as, say, the Bromberg sessions (in my opinion) or the Winark demos...

PostPosted: Thu September 28th, 2017, 06:55 GMT 

smoke wrote:
I'd also cast a hearty vote for a London/Paris 1990 set - 2 discs of highlights and a deluxe version. Both should be easy to assemble if the shows were, indeed, professionally recorded. Speaking of...the more I think about it the more I think those comments regarding NET recording quality must be at least somewhat wrong. Many shows may have a poor mix but surely many others do not. Think about the Roseland soundboards, for heaven's sake! Even if they only have "some" shows in that kind of quality it will blow minds when the best of it is collected and shoved up the public. They don't deserve it!!!

I suspect there are some scattered multi-tracks, too. I apologize for publishing speculation on an internet forum, I have been partying a little and just can't help myself.

A bonus video (if such footage is available) of Disease of Conceit in the manner of the Hurt video that was embedded in Johnny Cash's American IV would be the icing on the cake, but I want too much.

PostPosted: Thu September 28th, 2017, 07:30 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
bobfan wrote:
The Rundown tapes are not interesting enough to warrant a stand alone release, despite what Heylin says.

In your opinion? They're equally interesting as, say, the Bromberg sessions (in my opinion) or the Winark demos...

Of course, only my opinion. Just as Clinton's is his, yours is yours. By the way I find the Witmark Demos dull, and the Bromberg sessions over produced and uninspired, or at least what's available is. In my opinion!

PostPosted: Thu September 28th, 2017, 08:58 GMT 

The rundown rehearsals are a great mix of classic tracks performed in a very flamboyant manner, i know buddokan could be considered as such, but the rundown rehearsals leave room for the band and backing singers to express themselves. That gospel version of blowin in the wind, followed by a reggae version is a good example. But.....its out there in very good quality and so id much rather something we have not got or heard in good quality.

PostPosted: Thu September 28th, 2017, 09:03 GMT 

escapeedrifter wrote:
The rundown rehearsals are a great mix of classic tracks performed in a very flamboyant manner, i know buddokan could be considered as such, but the rundown rehearsals leave room for the band and backing singers to express themselves. That gospel version of blowin in the wind, followed by a reggae version is a good example. But.....its out there in very good quality and so id much rather something we have not got or heard in good quality.

Budokan hasn't got any of the raw spur-of-the-moment quality of Rundown. The electric 'It's Alright Ma' is truly one of the finest things Bob ever did. Rundown is my go-to whenever wanting to introduce people to the lesser-known side of Bob.
It's true, it's already out there, but do we know for certain that's all that was ever recorded or rehearsed there?

PostPosted: Thu September 28th, 2017, 16:26 GMT 

The sessions with Johnny Cash, including their version of "Don't Think Twice/Understand Your Man" - that recording in particular may be among strangest Dylan recordings in existence. And based on the Nashville Skyline remaster, the sound quality will be perfect.
While (parts of) the sessions will probably be up for release in 2019 due to copyright, that duet along with the incomplete versions of "Wanted Man", "Five Feet High and Rising", "Mystery Train" and "Amen" really ought to be included.

PostPosted: Thu September 28th, 2017, 16:36 GMT 

BenjaminH wrote:
The sessions with Johnny Cash, including their version of "Don't Think Twice/Understand Your Man" - that recording in particular may be among strangest Dylan recordings in existence. And based on the Nashville Skyline remaster, the sound quality will be perfect.
While (parts of) the sessions will probably be up for release in 2019 due to copyright, that duet along with the incomplete versions of "Wanted Man", "Five Feet High and Rising", "Mystery Train" and "Amen" really ought to be included.

Has a recording of those songs ever circulated? If they're anything like the other sessions they'll just be two friends jamming.

PostPosted: Thu September 28th, 2017, 17:55 GMT 
Titanium Member

^ Dylan / Cash = trash. Sloppy jamming.

PostPosted: Thu September 28th, 2017, 23:18 GMT 

I don't know enough about the live concerts to have many suggestions of what shows to include in a live box set, but I think a curated release of shows would be great. One show I have heard that I thought was amazing was May 26, 1995 in Berkeley. It was a phenomenal performance from beginning to end.

PostPosted: Tue October 3rd, 2017, 16:44 GMT 

bobfan wrote:
In terms of the NET, there's enough decent '88 sbds to make a good compilation. Then there's complete Supper Club/Unplugged CD/DVD possibilities ready to go, although they're not the NET as such. I'm not sure where the 1996 live recordings on the Not Dark Yet single originate from (Atlanta 1996?) but they're in fantastic quality and great performances too. You also have Hyde Park from that year that was also professionally filmed.
I found the comment about the two guys recording in two separate parts of the auditorium for stereo recordings quite odd. Is it possible to splice audience tapes to produce a stereo recording?

I was just gonna mention the Supper Club. Keep forgetting they're hogging the entire concert footag from this. Greedy buggers...

PostPosted: Tue October 3rd, 2017, 16:46 GMT 

tendril wrote:
I don't know enough about the live concerts to have many suggestions of what shows to include in a live box set, but I think a curated release of shows would be great. One show I have heard that I thought was amazing was May 26, 1995 in Berkeley. It was a phenomenal performance from beginning to end.

The May 25th Berkeley show is also phenomenal. Would you say the 26th is superior? (Maybe I just have a random connection to the 25th...)

PostPosted: Wed October 4th, 2017, 05:38 GMT 

We will eventually get a complete or near complete BOTT set. I think that's actually inevitable.

I have a sense we've heard no JWH outtakes because there isn't a whole lot there of note. I'm aware there are numerous takes of the songs, and maybe some interesting ones, but my guess is not enough for an entire Bootleg Series that would be of interest to anyone but completists. Still, I'd like to have some sense of how those songs developed in the studio. Same for Love and Theft though, again, I doubt that's enough for entire BS entry.

Now that Petty has left us, there may be an upsurge of interest in his work with Bob. I don't necessarily love that era of live material, but I'd drop some dough for a good sampling. I think we'll get it someday.

I imagine the Supper Club dates will be available at some point. Personally, I'd like to couple that with a complete version of the MTV Unplugged show. It was a more interesting performance than the official release indicates.

They will eventually have to figure out an approach to the NET. They'll do something. Don't know what, but something.

Also, I imagine there are enough outtakes from the SITN-Triplicate era for another standards collection. I'm chomping at the bit myself.

Kidding, I'm kidding.

PostPosted: Wed October 4th, 2017, 05:50 GMT 

mumbles wrote:
Also, I imagine there are enough outtakes from the SITN-Triplicate era for another standards collection. I'm chomping at the bit myself.

The horror... It'd be interesting just so see whether I'd actually buy it on principle or stand my ground and refuse.

On a side note, I hope they'll soon smell the coffee and start releasing the BS's deluxe editions digitally. How many of us buy 10 discs bootleg series only to import the music and discard the boxes. I know they've released them on itunes too, but never the complete collectors/deluxe/bells and whistles editions, which means we have to store clunky box sets because we wanted the full package. The only time I've bought physical cd in the last five years is the bootleg series.
It's easy enough: release the tunes digitally and the video and booklet with download codes (which can be abused, but so what?)