Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue October 24th, 2017, 04:14 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu August 17th, 2017, 20:07 GMT 

I'd love to buy a package of the 1988 shows.
He played some amazing shows on that first year, i know he doesn't like the term
'Never Ending Tour', but i'd love it if the record label put together a boxset of
his shows from each year of the NET. It'd need to be released over at least
15 Voiumes if it included complete shows from '88 to 2017 so i guess if such
a release ever comes it'll be selected songs from over the years instead of
full concerts. I'm interested to know what shows from 1988 to present day
you would choose to include.

PostPosted: Fri August 18th, 2017, 05:05 GMT 

Yes, that would be epic. I can't wait for the NET shows to find their way into the official Bootleg Series. It will be interesting to see how the Dylan camp chooses to structure the release of that material. I would love to see Hammersmith 02/08/1990 come out. In regard to ideas for future BS releases, I've noticed while reading stories about Dylan recording sessions that it is often mentioned Dylan would bring a "tape" by the studio to show a new song to the band he was recording with (e.g. recent podcast about Empire Burlesque). The idea of these "tapes" Bob would bring by the studio intrigues me because God knows the amount of unreleased, undocumented material Dylan may have recorded in his own personal recording studio over the years - material that never made it into an official recording session. There may be a lot of currently-unknown original songs Bob wrote over the years (and even recorded) but were never brought out. If such is the case and Bob ever decided to release some of that material, I think that would be interesting... Just a thought. :)

PostPosted: Fri August 18th, 2017, 05:32 GMT 

One of my favourite shows on CD is Red Bluff, CA  Oct. 7, 2002. The set list, as follows, includes two tributes to Warren Zevon and a barnstorming version of The Stones 'Brown Sugar'. Lots of the classics are included and there's the added pleasures of Cold Irons Bound, Honest With Me, High Water, Floater and Summer Days. On the down side Watching The River Flow is included but there's not a hint of a Sinatra song in site. Sounds too good to be true! Roll on Bootleg Series Volume 14!

Intro (long)
Rainy Day Women #12 & 35
You're A Big Girl Now
Tombstone Blues
Accidentally Like A Martyr [Warren Zevon]
Watching The River Flow
Brown Sugar 
My Back Pages
It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
I Shall Be Released
Cold Irons Bound 
One Too Many Mornings
Hard Rain
Honest With Me
It Ain't Me, Babe
High Water (For Charley Patton)
Mutineer [Warren Zevon]
Floater (Too Much To Ask)
Summer Days 
encore:
Like A Rolling Stone 
Knockin' On Heaven's Door
All Along The Watchtower

PostPosted: Fri August 18th, 2017, 05:38 GMT 
Titanium Member

^Red Bluff is already in great sound though, right? I'd rather use the Bootleg Series to get some concerts that are in relatively poor quality or not heard yet at all.

PostPosted: Fri August 18th, 2017, 07:25 GMT 

A large box set with the best NET show of every year, with handsome packaging and excellent remastering. Yes, please. That would make wormington wet enough. I´m not like most of you guys in the sense that I haven´t explored bootlegs that much other than a few exceptions here and there, so his live performances are for the most part unknown to me, so a good box containing la creme de la creme would be OK in my book.
Other than this, like most people here, I want the BOTT and Infidels sessions released, which I´m sure we´ll get sooner or later. And of course the I´m cold tracks if they ever were recorded.
RTR complete box set probably will happen at some point too, I hope.
And I´m hoping the Knocked out loaded studio sessions tape were not destroyed. Still remember Al Kooper saying how they played some amazing music on those sessions and everyone was "wtf?" when they heard the released record with all that sub-par stuff.

Anyway, I still need to buy Witmark demos, The cutting edge and The complete basement tapes, so I´m not in a hurry for more stuff.
Wait, yes I am

PostPosted: Fri August 18th, 2017, 07:59 GMT 

THhr Ardmore studio sessions 2017 in their entirety please...

PostPosted: Fri August 18th, 2017, 08:35 GMT 

The unexpurgated Al&Ben sessions.

PostPosted: Sat August 19th, 2017, 16:44 GMT 

Nightingale's Code wrote:
^Red Bluff is already in great sound though, right? I'd rather use the Bootleg Series to get some concerts that are in relatively poor quality or not heard yet at all.

+1

PostPosted: Sun August 20th, 2017, 00:33 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
One of my favourite shows on CD is Red Bluff, CA  Oct. 7, 2002. The set list, as follows, includes two tributes to Warren Zevon and a barnstorming version of The Stones 'Brown Sugar'. Lots of the classics are included and there's the added pleasures of Cold Irons Bound, Honest With Me, High Water, Floater and Summer Days. On the down side Watching The River Flow is included but there's not a hint of a Sinatra song in site. Sounds too good to be true! Roll on Bootleg Series Volume 14!

Intro (long)
Rainy Day Women #12 & 35
You're A Big Girl Now
Tombstone Blues
Accidentally Like A Martyr [Warren Zevon]
Watching The River Flow
Brown Sugar 
My Back Pages
It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
I Shall Be Released
Cold Irons Bound 
One Too Many Mornings
Hard Rain
Honest With Me
It Ain't Me, Babe
High Water (For Charley Patton)
Mutineer [Warren Zevon]
Floater (Too Much To Ask)
Summer Days 
encore:
Like A Rolling Stone 
Knockin' On Heaven's Door
All Along The Watchtower

This is my call too. I love the covers and to me this was the most fun tour. But 98 is not far behind.

PostPosted: Sun August 20th, 2017, 00:57 GMT 

Infidels

PostPosted: Sun August 20th, 2017, 01:07 GMT 
Promethium Member

I don't know how they'll approach this huge amount of material, but I think that at some point we'll start getting Grateful Dead style, small-batch releases of some of his legendary runs of shows, in deluxe packaging and priced to match as an artifact. Hopefully the music itself would be downloadable at a more reasonable price. There's every indication that if they do, indeed, have all or most NET shows in excellent quality it will be an extremely valuable commodity as time goes by.

I'd like to see The Oh Mercy tour, London/Paris/Princeton/Toads 1990, Fall 1991 and on and on and on.

PostPosted: Sun August 20th, 2017, 01:23 GMT 

I figure it will all be available online as a purchase or subscription like the Neil Young catalog is set to do.

PostPosted: Sun August 20th, 2017, 01:29 GMT 
Promethium Member

I also think that down the road technology will exist to use the good recordings as a modeling tool...and that we'll hear these 1965 Ginsberg recordings sounding as good as anything. I also predict purists will swear they notice and that it sucks.

PostPosted: Sun August 20th, 2017, 09:41 GMT 

goodmeats wrote:
Infidels

I agree; but, chronology/copyright-wise, aren't we looking at the Dylan/Cash sessions or something?

PostPosted: Mon August 21st, 2017, 11:47 GMT 

Somebody Naked wrote:
goodmeats wrote:
Infidels

I agree; but, chronology/copyright-wise, aren't we looking at the Dylan/Cash sessions or something?

I don't think they're running the series in order of recording (be great it they did though).
I'm only saying that because of the 'Tell Tale Signs' release.
Maybe a combination of the Cash/Dylan sessions with the 'Harrison/Dylan' would be a good package.
If i were working at Sony and involved in the Official Bootleg Series i'd keep an eye on Expecting Rain,
this is the place where Sony can research the most popular Dylan albums and live shows.

PostPosted: Wed August 23rd, 2017, 19:48 GMT 

1) All of the Rolling Thunder Revue PLEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAASE!!!!!!!!!!! First and second leg! Everything!!!! Now!!!!!
2) Every bit of the New York Sessions. There's NEVER enough Blood On The Tracks. I firmly believe that after the release of the Cutting Edge (if you don't have it buy the deluxe version NOW) it's time now to tackle the only period that could ever equal the incomparable mid-Sixties.
3) These "dark, dark songs" he has said he was writing in 1977 - someone MUST have pushed the "record" button! Come on!
4) Infidels. Anyone listened to that take of Sweetheart Like You on Youtube (Infidels Rough Cuts by Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands, she's got the most incredible stuff, go check her out if you haven't already). Hell his singing might even be sexier than the original and that's one of his sexiest songs I think
5) A beautiful huge Never Ending Tour box set.
6) And somebody PLEASE find a tape of Bob singing "Love Is Just A Four Letter Word"... love that song too much...
7) Oh Mercy and Time Out Of Mind. With all the arguments between Bob and Lanois, please. I've got a feeling that would be funny as hell. Tell Tale Signs is brilliant but definitely not big enough.
8) Can we count official releases of both Eat the Document and Renaldo and Clara too? And by the way does anyone know how to get these films?? I MUST see them!!!
9) John Wesley Harding.

PostPosted: Mon September 25th, 2017, 18:11 GMT 

1) 1985-1988. Without all the production junk stripped off, there must be a treasure trove of great music there. I remember Ron Wood saying he was staggered when he heard Knocked Out Loaded. He was convinced from the sessions that Dylan's next album would be a huge come-back.
2) Rundown rehearsals 1978.
3) 1978 World tour, especially the US leg of the tour. It's a must. Budokan does not cover 1978 any more than Hard Rain covered Rolling Thunder.
4) Rolling Thunder. It's been covered but they can get away with doing more. First they are Dylan's greatest live days arguably, secondly they never brought out Vol 5 with the Rolling Thunder banner-1975 only covered one year, not '76, and last of all: there's a soon-to-be-finished documentary about the Rolling Thunder that an audio box could get paired with.
This really may well be No 14 rather than the Blood On The Track boot. Check the Rolling Stone article published today http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featu ... oc-w504817
5) BOTT NY Sessions and other extras.
6) Never Ending Tour!!
7) Box set of early sixties live work, including Gaslight 1962
8] Oh Mercy Sessions
9) 1973-1974 Pat & Planet

PostPosted: Mon September 25th, 2017, 18:40 GMT 
Promethium Member

gerardv wrote:
This really may well be No 14 rather than the Blood On The Track boot. Check the Rolling Stone article published today http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featu ... oc-w504817

They say they want to 'fold in' the BOTT sessions with RTR. That probably suggests they'll milk for all it's worth - make BOTT the exclusive bonus material because all the suckers want it. It's not like BOTT alone is likely to fill an expensive box set.

PostPosted: Mon September 25th, 2017, 18:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

I'd like to hear the entire sessions he did with David Bromberg.

PostPosted: Mon September 25th, 2017, 19:48 GMT 

Don't think it will be the next one, but one of these years they definitely should release a nice three disc set with the best of the many amazing TEMPLES IN FLAMES performances which Bob Dylan delivered all over Europe thirty years ago.

PostPosted: Mon September 25th, 2017, 20:50 GMT 

notdarkyet wrote:
Don't think it will be the next one, but one of these years they definitely should release a nice three disc set with the best of the many amazing TEMPLES IN FLAMES performances which Bob Dylan delivered all over Europe thirty years ago.

The Petty connection lasted from 1985 (Farm Aid) until 1987, so an installment is warranted. If they do it, I think they may well combine the best of those three years. Bob's US tour in '86 was the biggest of the summer tours that year.

PostPosted: Tue September 26th, 2017, 01:38 GMT 

Dylan and the Dead rehearsals.

PostPosted: Tue September 26th, 2017, 02:47 GMT 

I would love to see a box set covering 1983-1987: Infidels outtakes, stripped-down versions and outtakes from the Empire Burlesque and Knocked Out Loaded sessions, and the outtakes and "other album" Dylan had meant to put together for Down in the Groove; this would be a neat roundoff as Down in the Groove included an Infidels outtake and other recordings from this 4-5 year span. This would hopefully also include a DVD release of Hard to Handle and the best of the Petty tours (some of this is absolutely fire), and the rehearsals and best recordings from the tour with The Grateful Dead. And don't forget the Hearts of Fire soundtrack recordings.

Essentially, this would be covering the years between the gospel years and the NET/Oh Mercy sessions. In other words, I don't want to see an Infidels box set - this sounds very boring to me - I would rather a comprehensive reassessment of Dylan's 'lost years', and I think Infidels is essential to be included considering Someone's Got a Hold of My Heart, Clean Cut Kid and Death Is Not the End are found within the other albums.

PostPosted: Tue September 26th, 2017, 03:56 GMT 

More odds and ends from the 1980s.

I'd like to see Dylan's studio versions of "Prince of Darkness" and "Freedom for the Stallion" officially released.

A link to "Prince of Darkness":

https://youtu.be/JGpjmR5QR_Q?t=392

And "Freedom for the Stallion":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ptOGBU6MKg

PostPosted: Tue September 26th, 2017, 04:15 GMT 
Titanium Member

The Richard Simmons Sweatin' To The Oldies collaborations. Deserves an official release.