Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat October 21st, 2017, 14:14 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat September 2nd, 2017, 05:19 GMT 

Joined: Sat September 2nd, 2017, 04:07 GMT
Posts: 3
Hello all. I have been searching for an alternate version of Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues that was posted on YouTube for a while about four years ago. It was all acoustic and sounded like it was an early studio rehearsal recording. There was no piano in it and mainly featured rhythm acoustic guitar. In the very beginning of it you can hear Dylan saying either what chords are played or what key it is in to the other musicians. Also, on this version he played a short kind of chorus singing "heyyy, heyyy, heyyy.... heyyy" in between some of the verse. I've done quite a bit of searching including all the main bootleg Dylan albums and most of the versions are either live or seem to be very similar to the album version. I know one of the for versions on the bootleg series vol 12 is not it but I haven't been able to hear the other three versions on it. I would love to be able to find this version again. If anyone knows what version this is or might be able to help me find it I would very much appreciate it. Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue September 5th, 2017, 22:25 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon January 23rd, 2006, 02:39 GMT
Posts: 1646
I'll bet you're thinking of the version rehearsed with George Harrison during the New Morning sessions. You can download that here: http://thousandhighways.blogspot.com/20 ... eased.html.

I might be way off-base, but that's the only instance I can think of where there's a pseudo-vocal chorus.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu September 7th, 2017, 04:33 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat December 10th, 2011, 15:23 GMT
Posts: 209
That Dylan/Harrison version is a train wreck. What the hell is Bob doing? He decided to do the song in four beat / three measure timing ..or whatever it is, without telling anyone. It's a mess until the last verse. Too bad, because he was in great voice and it could have sounded great after a couple more tries.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat September 9th, 2017, 06:46 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon October 18th, 2010, 03:16 GMT
Posts: 1143
Winter Lude wrote:
That Dylan/Harrison version is a train wreck. What the hell is Bob doing? He decided to do the song in four beat / three measure timing ..or whatever it is, without telling anyone. It's a mess until the last verse. Too bad, because he was in great voice and it could have sounded great after a couple more tries.


Granted, it's no 66, but it at least it has some charm. The One Too Many Mornings from the same session(s) is pretty good imho.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat September 9th, 2017, 15:56 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat December 10th, 2011, 15:23 GMT
Posts: 209
Anr Bjotk wrote:

Granted, it's no 66, but it at least it has some charm. The One Too Many Mornings from the same session(s) is pretty good imho.


The Dylan/Harrison recordings could be improved by replacing the bass guitar track. Charlie Daniels had the worst sound and he barely knew the tunes. I have a hard time listening to that bootleg because of all the bass fumbling. Those tracks could definitely be fixed up with overdubs and editing to get rid of clunkers all around.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat September 9th, 2017, 18:16 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon October 18th, 2010, 03:16 GMT
Posts: 1143
Winter Lude wrote:
Anr Bjotk wrote:

Granted, it's no 66, but it at least it has some charm. The One Too Many Mornings from the same session(s) is pretty good imho.


The Dylan/Harrison recordings could be improved by replacing the bass guitar track. Charlie Daniels had the worst sound and he barely knew the tunes. I have a hard time listening to that bootleg because of all the bass fumbling. Those tracks could definitely be fixed up with overdubs and editing to get rid of clunkers all around.


I love the zany bass-noodlings, especially on 'Ghost riders in the sky'. Reminds me of Phil Lesh. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon September 11th, 2017, 23:44 GMT 

Joined: Sat September 2nd, 2017, 04:07 GMT
Posts: 3
Thank you so much belleseb32... that's it! I've been looking for that for years... I just love this song and this version!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: escapeedrifter


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group