Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed October 18th, 2017, 00:23 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat August 12th, 2017, 02:57 GMT 

Mail Train wrote:
I'm really afraid my future wife won't like Dylan and therefore my children won't be exposed to his music. :shock:

Yeah mine despises him.
But I get to influence the kids as well, and guess what, I am winning on this.

PostPosted: Sat August 12th, 2017, 03:01 GMT 

I took my boy to see Bob when he was 14 months old. It was the Americanarama show so we got lawn seats. It rained so much that they were giving away covered tickets to the poor sods with kids on the lawn.
He is 5 now and his brother is 3. They love the Wilbury Twist, Cats In The Well and Man Gave Name To All The Animals.

PostPosted: Sat August 12th, 2017, 05:58 GMT 

ramblin wrote:
I took my boy to see Bob when he was 14 months old. It was the Americanarama show so we got lawn seats. It rained so much that they were giving away covered tickets to the poor sods with kids on the lawn.
He is 5 now and his brother is 3. They love the Wilbury Twist, Cats In The Well and Man Gave Name To All The Animals.

Why are you even playing those songs???

PostPosted: Sat August 12th, 2017, 11:14 GMT 
Promethium Member

What is anyone dragging along children to shows for who are too young to remember anything about it?

PostPosted: Sat August 12th, 2017, 11:59 GMT 

McG wrote:
ramblin wrote:

Why are you even playing those songs???

The Wilbury Twist is a fun song. The boys get up and dance like maniacs when they hear it.
My 3 year old is obsessed with cats. He loves any song about them.
My 5 year old loves animals. It's almost the only thing he talks about. Man Gave Names To All The Animals to him is a silly rhyming song. We make up new verses for fun. We also have the children's book of it and the illustrations are amazing.

PostPosted: Sat August 12th, 2017, 12:03 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
What is anyone dragging along children to shows for who are too young to remember anything about it?

He had a fun night. No, he won't remember it but by that logic you shouldn't do anything with a child under 4. I figured a lawn show was perfect because nobody would be bothered by him. Now he can brag to the other kindergarteners the he saw the poet laureate of rock and roll.

PostPosted: Sat August 12th, 2017, 12:46 GMT 
Promethium Member

Johanna Parker wrote:
Untrodden Path wrote:
Start with his children's album, Under the Red Sky and sing along so they get the vibe to join in. Worked wonders with my kids...

Nothing from Christmas In The Heart? :P

Two of them were grown by and out of the house by the time Christmas In the Heart was released and the youngest has been unduly influenced by his mother (and siblings)...

But I play it at Christmastime anyway.

PostPosted: Sat August 12th, 2017, 14:58 GMT 

When my kids were little I was on a Dylan kick where I was posting youtube videos of myself imitating him (playing guitar w/harmonica and singing). My kids heard Dylan, but it was mostly through my imitation around the house.

Fast forward to now. My older son is 22 and he has a friend who's a huge Dylan fan and his girlfriend plays guitar and she's also a big Dylan fan, as are her parents. He was over her house and Dylan came up, so he put on my Sad Eye Lady video. Now everyone wants to hear me sing those songs again.

My son says he loves hearing the original versions of the songs I covered because he's been hearing them since childhood.

PostPosted: Sat August 12th, 2017, 23:21 GMT 

My daughter and I are doing it chronologically. We started with the first album, and, each night, before she can eat dinner, we listen to one song (and then the next night, the next, und so weiter). After we listen to the song, she has fifteen minutes to write on essay on the song's affect—how did it make her feel emotionally? Then I give her a copy of the lyrics and she get forty-five minutes to write an analysis of the verse. Every three months we have a test. There's multiple choice questions (e.g., "On what album did "Brownsville Girl" first appear?", or ,"Put these albums in order of their release dates"), and an example essay topic for the test might be something like, "Compare and contrast all extant versions of "On the Road Again," choose your favorite take, and argue for your selection"). I'm willing to bet she'll know more than any other kid in her class about Dylan when Kindergarten starts next week.

PostPosted: Sun August 13th, 2017, 07:57 GMT 

Answering in the converse...

I was a big Elvis fan as a kid. A radio station over here in the UK used to have a weekly Elvis Hour, might still do, and my Dad used to have all the 54 an 56 sessions on LP. I would ask him to make me cassette tapes of these as as a 7 year old I couldn't work his unwieldy hifi system. One week he snuck LARS and SHB onto the end of side 2 and I was instantly hooked.

That and I think when my Mum was pregnant they read in the newspaper that playing your unborn baby Mozart would make it intelligent. So they put some headphones over her baby bump and played me Bob.

I didn't stand a chance really...

PostPosted: Sun August 13th, 2017, 14:53 GMT 

Matthew Licht wrote:
My daughter and I are doing it chronologically. We started with the first album, and, each night, before she can eat dinner, we listen to one song (and then the next night, the next, und so weiter). After we listen to the song, she has fifteen minutes to write on essay on the song's affect—how did it make her feel emotionally? Then I give her a copy of the lyrics and she get forty-five minutes to write an analysis of the verse. Every three months we have a test. There's multiple choice questions (e.g., "On what album did "Brownsville Girl" first appear?", or ,"Put these albums in order of their release dates"), and an example essay topic for the test might be something like, "Compare and contrast all extant versions of "On the Road Again," choose your favorite take, and argue for your selection"). I'm willing to bet she'll know more than any other kid in her class about Dylan when Kindergarten starts next week.

I really like what you're doing with your daughter but perhaps you could attain better results quicker by administering different forms of punishment if the young student is performing in an unsatisfactory manner. For example if she shows any emotion other than jubilation during the album listening segment of her studies, rather than just delaying dinner that evening you could postpone it entirely. Or if one of her essays on a particular Dylan lyric is an obvious rehash of an interpretation that she lifted from one of the Dylan books you have instructed her to read you could hide one or two of her dolls. Anything to aid you in this valuable work! What do you think?

PostPosted: Sun August 13th, 2017, 14:58 GMT 

kuddukan wrote:
Mail Train wrote:
I'm really afraid my future wife won't like Dylan and therefore my children won't be exposed to his music. :shock:

Yeah mine despises him.
But I get to influence the kids as well, and guess what, I am winning on this.

Yeah. "Despise" is a good word for how my ex-wife feels about Dylan. "Loathe" is another, and "hate" also works. Once asked, "What's your favorite Dylan song?", she replied, "Which one is shortest?" She prefers Dylan covers sung by obscure singer-songwriters who don't write songs inasmuch as they cover actual "singer-songwriters." And it cuts both ways: my ex may be the reason I that I became allergic to Joan Baez.

I—throw your stones, purists—listen to music on shuffle via the computer almost exclusively. Out of 10.81K songs in the listenig rotation, 1.111K are Dylan songs, so it's pretty much impossible to come to my home and not hear Dylan (or Bruce or Neil). I don't want to take anything away from my ex (except maybe her lungs #bloodeagle), but my daughter is her "daddy's girl," and she loves to mimic me. So, if "Like a Rolling Stone," "Positively Fourth Street," "Desolation Row" or "Isis" or "Idiot Wind" ("This is not a song about your mom"), "Blind Willie McTell" or "Things Have Changed" or any of my two hundred most favorite Dylan songs plays, if and when I sing along, she follows behind me and tries her best to harmonize. I just listen to what I like (which she calls, "Crazy Daddy Music"), and whatever she latches onto, by osmosis or otherwise, so be it.

When I was a boy—and here I'm thinking seven, c. 1977—my mother and father had a duplicate LP of Another Side that my mother gave me to play on my tiny, portbale record player. My favorite song was "Motorpsycho Nightmare," and I learned to detest "Ballad in Plain D" early in life. In addition to listening to them play Dylan a lot (they divorced when I was eight, so I essentially grew up listening to Blood on the Tracks over and over and over again (there are far worse fates)). I remember when my father bought Biograph, but, really, the first post BotT that I remember hearing on its release was Oh, Mercy. By the time that I was thirty, I only owned Blonde on Blonde, Greatest Hits, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, Desire, BotT, and TooM, but in '06 I began buying it all up (I still don't own the Christmas album—the only hole in my catalog—but I can live with that). That was the beginning of the end of my marriage. I only wish I had become obsessed with Bob far earlier in life (especially "Nineties Bob").

I always liked and revered Dylan. It just took me a long time to fully commit. I blame that on my father, who always sang the first verse of "Highway 61 Revisited" with a bit too much zest. (Whenever he asked me what I was reading or taking in school, Dad would always reply, "These people that you mention / Yes, I know them, they're quite lame.")

This last bit isn't a Bob anecdote, but, in terms of being exposed to music, I remember being about ten: my father and I were driving through Seattle, and we were down by University Village headed up the hill toward campus on the northern side streets alongside the viaduct. The opening of "Stairway to Heaven" came on the radio, and my father looked over at me in the passenger seat and asked, "Do you know this song?" When I told him "No," he said, "Well, listen up. This is a song that you should know." And then he turned it up to eleven.

If my daugher loves onto Bob, she will. If she doesn't, she won't. But I trust her. :)

Plus, my top priority, as a dad, is that she falls in love with Steely Dan. Donald Fagen is the only musician whom my ex-wife hates more than Dylan. 8)

PostPosted: Sun August 13th, 2017, 17:33 GMT 

seg wrote:
I really like what you're doing with your daughter but perhaps you could attain better results quicker by administering different forms of punishment if the young student is performing in an unsatisfactory manner. For example if she shows any emotion other than jubilation during the album listening segment of her studies, rather than just delaying dinner that evening you could postpone it entirely. Or if one of her essays on a particular Dylan lyric is an obvious rehash of an interpretation that she lifted from one of the Dylan books you have instructed her to read you could hide one or two of her dolls. Anything to aid you in this valuable work! What do you think?

(Boldfaced emphasis added by yours truly.)

Thanks for your supportive and kind words (perhaps you could talk to my ex and child protective services on my behalf). Rest assured, there is no eating until satisfactory jubilation (or disappointment ("Aw, you missed, Bob")) is expressed. It's a double-edged strategy that I use both to combat igonorance of Bob and childhood obesity. Sometimes she has to wait for school lunch, but those are the breaks.

I used to take dolls (and her plush animals) away from her, but it got to the point where she didn't have any more dolls and my closet was full. But—boy, oh, boy—once she saw the first doll that I tossed in the fireplace go up in flames, someone got her act together right quick.

Thank you for bringing up possible plagiarism issues. Sometime I assume that—just because she's my daughter—her academic integrity it fully formed and she would never plagiarize a paper on the arts (I don't care if she cheats at math). I need to be more vigilant about that, however. I appreciate the feedbak. Pedagogy is one of my most favorite of things.

PostPosted: Sun August 13th, 2017, 18:46 GMT 

Wow, you're all so young.

I can remember an era before Bob's first album. My wife likes Dylan (faves: BoB, New Morning, BotT, Oh Mercy, Tell Tale Signs, Modern Times). Our daughters (30 & 27) like some Bob, but less than us.

PostPosted: Mon August 14th, 2017, 14:23 GMT 

It never occurred to me to force Dylan down my kid's throats before they're allowed to eat and then punish them if they don't write good essays. I went right to waterboarding. Now they love Dylan!

PostPosted: Wed August 16th, 2017, 15:14 GMT 

Play the records. My experience was that the kids found him impossibly obscure after Times. Absent the lyrics it's a matter of whether it's good pop. I'm pessimistic about his future reputation.

PostPosted: Wed August 16th, 2017, 16:41 GMT 

Always play Dylan and lots of other music around the house. Kids pick up on stuff... for years now they request Christmas In the Heart around the holidays. :lol: