It is currently Tue October 24th, 2017, 07:56 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu August 10th, 2017, 06:23 GMT 

...and the contenders are

Under The Red Sky (1990)
Good As I Been To You (1992)
World Gone Wrong (1993)
Time Out Of Mind (1997)

The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration* (1993)
MTV Unplugged* (1995)

* I know they are live albums but they can be discussed if you feel that strongly about them! Other notable releases were The Bootleg Series, Vols 1-3, The Bootleg Series, Vol 4, Greatest Hits Volume 3 and The Best of Bob Dylan.

There's only going to be one winner surely?

PostPosted: Thu August 10th, 2017, 06:30 GMT 

Obviously Time Out Of Mind wins the best credit by a mile.

What's the worst though. For me, just as a listening experience and body of work I'd have to nominate Under The Red Sky. I know Good As I Been To You is an album of covers but I really find it quite a good listen and I like the guitar playing. I also like MTV Unplugged, not new songs but I quite like the overall performance.

I don't like World Gone Wrong as much as Good As I Been To You and find the 30th Anniversary set a bit of a yawn.

PostPosted: Thu August 10th, 2017, 06:32 GMT 
Titanium Member

I'm a big fan of both acoustic albums, so for me they'd both be right under Time Out Of Mind.

The others (UTRS, Unplugged, 30th Concert) are in the "stuff I rarely ever listen to" pile down at the bottom, all pretty much on the same level.

Both Bootleg Series installments are brilliant.

PostPosted: Thu August 10th, 2017, 07:10 GMT 

Really difficult decade to analyze due to the big variety of records released: only 2 studio albums of new songs, 2 albums of covers, 2 live releases, one of them with guests, bootleg series...

If we count only studio, obviously Time out of mind takes it. World gone wrong number 2 for me, great record.
if we include however the bootleg series, vols 1-3 and vol 4 are the winners.

PostPosted: Thu August 10th, 2017, 08:12 GMT 

Under the red sky.

It´s the worst one from the 90s.

I won´t count Dylan & The Dead cause it´s a live Album, also Unplugged. ( Both I like. )

PostPosted: Thu August 10th, 2017, 10:20 GMT 

Best: Under The Red Sky (only decent, let's say)

Worst: any other

PostPosted: Thu August 10th, 2017, 17:33 GMT 

Giuseppe Gazerro wrote:

It's all down to personal choice obviously but I find it hard to believe anyone would rate UTRS more highly than TOOM.

Btw, Dylan and The Dead was released in 1989

PostPosted: Thu August 10th, 2017, 17:39 GMT 

Yes, indeed it´s all down to personal choice, but it is simply wrong to say UTRS is better than TOOM :P

I´m currently listening to UTRS, btw. Some good tunes here. 2 x 2, quite a nice melody. Still a very poor record

PostPosted: Thu August 10th, 2017, 18:01 GMT 

wormington wrote:
Yes, indeed it´s all down to personal choice, but it is simply wrong to say UTRS is better than TOOM :P

I´m currently listening to UTRS, btw. Some good tunes here. 2 x 2, quite a nice melody. Still a very poor record

I quite like the title track, seen him do that a couple of times. Also seen him perform Cat's In The Well a few times but I'm afraid it didn't change my mind about the song. Second rate!

PostPosted: Thu August 10th, 2017, 18:22 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
Giuseppe Gazerro wrote:

It's all down to personal choice obviously but I find it hard to believe anyone would rate UTRS more highly than TOOM.

Yes, I know.
And I understand both things:

That Under The Red Sky is nothing more than a decent record, with a couple of good tracks - Handy Dandy and Under The Red Sky, to me -; the rest is *another day at the office - songs*; I agree.
And that Time Out Of Mind is much more profound, felt, introspective, deprived of naiveness and mature.

The point is that I don't like it; plain and simple.

The very first days I managed to get a kick from Highlands and Dirty Road Blues.
Then even those songs started getting stale, to me.

I've never been able to listen to the acclaimed numbers, like Not Dark Yet, Lovesick and Trying To Get To Heaven; slow, dull, monotonous, predictable, repetitive and old *inside*.

I understand Time Out Of Mind it's objectively *better*, but it's not my cup of my tea.

PostPosted: Thu August 10th, 2017, 19:38 GMT 
Titanium Member

GAIBTY / WGW in first place by some ways, then TOOM and the other one. TOOM has some good songs on it, but it's not aging too well for me.

PostPosted: Fri August 11th, 2017, 00:47 GMT 

This seems pretty easy. Under The Red Sky might be the worst Dylan album, period- it's right there with Knocked Out Loaded. I think those are the only two albums in Dylan's catalog where I don't like one single song.

PostPosted: Fri August 11th, 2017, 05:54 GMT 

Funny, I always find it hard to believe that Bob released only two albums of new material in that decade.
But what a difference there is between these two albums...
Obviously, TOOM wins this contest.
UTRS is a disappointment. Not only because it is so much weaker than its predecessor, Oh Mercy, but also because so much musical talent was assembled for this project. Slash, Elton John, Bruce Hornsby...
so much star power, completly wasted for so little.

PostPosted: Fri August 11th, 2017, 06:53 GMT 

WrittenInMySoul wrote:
UTRS is a disappointment. Not only because it is so much weaker than its predecessor, Oh Mercy, but also because so much musical talent was assembled for this project. Slash, Elton John, Bruce Hornsby...
so much star power, completly wasted for so little.

My thoughts exactly, just as Oh Mercy lifted your spirits and you thought he was 'back on track' he reverted to the shambles of the previous hotch potch of albums released at the back end of the 80's, I was very disappointed.

PostPosted: Fri August 11th, 2017, 12:36 GMT 

Best: World Gone Wrong.
Worst: Good As I Been To You.

I like Under A Red Sky personally.
It's not great, but doesn't deserve all the scorn it gets either.

I'd maybe vote for Time Out Of Mind if it was all as fantastic as Not Dark Yet.
But World Gone Wrong hits me in a very personal way...

PostPosted: Fri August 11th, 2017, 13:43 GMT 

Best: Time out of mind

Worst: Under the red sky

PostPosted: Sat August 12th, 2017, 08:40 GMT 

115th wrote:
Best: Time out of mind

Worst: Under the red sky

What s/he said!

PostPosted: Sat August 12th, 2017, 12:22 GMT 

Under the Red Sky and Good as I Been to You are top tier Dylan.

Time out of Mind is interesting and ambitious but ruined by over processed production and works better on M&A and TTS.

World Gone Wrong much less interesting than its predecessor but still good.

Unplugged awful (except John Brown).

Love and Theft (and Things Have Changed) were extraordinary return to form.

What a decade?

PostPosted: Sun August 13th, 2017, 03:42 GMT 

Under The Red Sky was really my first Bob Dylan album which stemmed from my Beatles obsession and then getting into the Wilburys from there. It has a charm to it but while its better than Knocked Out Loaded and Down In the groove, I also think its worse than say Together Through Life which while not hitting the standards set by Love and Theft etc is probably a little underated.

Now to set the cat among the pigeons while five cover albums from a particularly man or genre may be five too many for some, I think this period is more rewarding than Under the red sky or knocked out etc, I think that period was Bob at his lowest. I think it was a moment of time when he was completely devoid of inspiration.

I think this later period we are in and even Christmas in the Heart are sincere and heartfelt and genuine even if the fans dont want to hear his take on the American songbook and these later albums do have something going for them if your prepared or even want to dig.

Time out of Mind is a good album its only the production that might spoil it for some people, and it knocks any defence ive just made of these last five albums out of the water obviously.

The two acoustic albums even if they were low key and maybe again not Bob at his best did I believe play an important part in giving us Toom because he felt his creative spark again. The two shows I saw on this last European tour were two of my best I felt, so if Bob has an album of originals left in him I think your owe it to this last trilogy of cover albums even if you could never listen to them.

Looking back at Bob in the 1990s helps you appreciate that where Bob is now isnt really as bad as you might think it is, even if your copy of Triplicate lays unopened on a shelf somewhere.

PostPosted: Sun August 13th, 2017, 04:06 GMT 
Promethium Member

I don't think there's any question that UTRS is the worst of all those, or that TOOM is the best.

The others are all solid entries. Not counting the 30th Anniversary album, which doesn't qualify as a Dylan album to me although Dylan's acoustic set is wonderful. The MTV album is interesting because it's professional but lacking the improvisational spark that both defines his live work and makes that live work so challenging for many. I actually think it's one of his better live albums but I don't think his live albums are generally that good (not counting Bootleg Series releases). I'll take it over Real Live or Budokan any day.

PostPosted: Sun August 13th, 2017, 10:30 GMT 

1. Time Out Of Mind (obviously)
Some say this album is ruined by the production. I see where they are coming from, but I appreciate that it's a completely different approach to the songs compared to how they were performed live. I like the dichotomy.

2. World Gone Wrong
3. Good As I Been To You
The two albums are so similar, but World Gone Wrong has a few more songs that I love.

4. Under The Red Sky
I actually do like Unter The Red Sky, 10.000 Men, Cat's In The Well and God Knows, but I don't care for the production at all.

I wonder why people include Love And Theft in their list, that one is from the 2000s. Just like the people who mentioned UTRS in the 1980s thread... :lol:

PostPosted: Sun August 13th, 2017, 18:34 GMT 
Titanium Member

smoke wrote:
I don't think there's any question that UTRS is the worst of all those, or that TOOM is the best.

Of course that can be questioned. Those choice old folk / blues standards are better than the songs on TOOM.

PostPosted: Sun August 13th, 2017, 19:30 GMT 
Promethium Member

I love those albums so question away, but I do value original content when making a choice like this. Those songs can be heard elsewhere, after all.

PostPosted: Sun August 13th, 2017, 21:42 GMT 

I am a World Gone Wrong fan. Part of it is the timing of the release relative to my personal journey as a Dylan fan. I have been playing TOOM a lot lately, but I have greater affection for WGW.

On a related note, I love the 2 versions of "Born in Time" on Tell Tale Signs.

PostPosted: Wed August 16th, 2017, 15:25 GMT 

I never play the live records. Unplugged had a chance with some other songs if I recall but those were omitted. I enjoy second side of UTRS from start to finish. There are probably five strong tracks on Good as I Been (Jim Jones, Canadee, Top of the World, Hard Times, and Diamond Joe come to mind) and a few others I can't listen to (Black Jack Davy and McBride once I heard Paul Brady's take). I like Stagolee and Broke Down Engine from WGW and little else, although Two Soldiers is a fine song, just a little too stylized in Dylan's rendition. Dave Alvin demolished his Delia to my ears. TooM is a lot of bile and therefore a challenging listen, but seems easily the best of his 1990's work. Even Highlands finally grew on me.