Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon December 18th, 2017, 14:49 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed August 9th, 2017, 23:07 GMT 

[So this is a thread for all my fellow "textbook fanboys." If your ear fears no foreign sound, if you are busy being born, if at any point his music has been that special something that you needed needed so bad, if you have a shred of faith that there is something real that binds together and animates Dylan's work, or even if you're willing to just set aside your expectations and step out from behind your cynicism for a moment, then you are welcome to participate. Everyone else can BUGGER OFF! ]

Leonard Cohen has said that he doesn't look to music for entertainment but for nourishment. His tastes in music had to do with whether or not it aided his daily survival. Likewise, Dylan has said that he isn't interested in entertainment but in substance.

This is what Dylan's music is for me and I'm hoping that there are some others here who feel the same way.

Which songs, for you, have nothing to do with entertainment? Which have had the most profound, personal affect on you? Have made you see old things with new eyes? Which straighten you out when your mind gets all tied up in knots? Which lines have "an unpaved path to your heart"?

PostPosted: Wed August 9th, 2017, 23:12 GMT 
Titanium Member

Not a Dylan song, but Paul's elegy to John after his murder was very powerful the first time I heard it.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ADskZxJ_bcU

Say what you will about Paul as a songwriter, but there's no fluff in this one.
"And if I say I really loved you and was glad you came along"

PostPosted: Thu August 10th, 2017, 10:27 GMT 

Hurricane; then Mobile.
Jokerman later on.

PostPosted: Thu August 10th, 2017, 10:32 GMT 

NateW wrote:
Which songs, for you, have nothing to do with entertainment? Which have had the most profound, personal affect on you? Have made you see old things with new eyes? Which straighten you out when your mind gets all tied up in knots? Which lines have "an unpaved path to your heart"?

For me, the whole Dylan business is just about that. I'm not a particularly troubled person and believe that I'm leading a quiet, normal life with all the highs and lows that one would expect. Bob just seems to be a good, old friend of mine that speaks to me in a musical way and sets me on ways that I want to tread. As for these days, it's "To Ramona" that touches me deep in my heart. A song I can take my guitar and sing to my girl (for she indeed IS a woman of a troubled past). It's the kind of song that you ain't gonna move your head to. You ain't gonna turn up the volume. You ain't gonna scream it, you ain't gonna yell it. Just a message, delivered while looking straight into her eyes.

I'd forever talk to you
But soon my words
Would turn into a meaningless ring,
For deep in my heart
I know there is no help I can bring.
Everything passes,
Everything changes,
Just do what you think you should do.
And someday maybe
Who knows, baby,
I'll come and be cryin' to you.