Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun October 22nd, 2017, 02:53 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: What was Bob on in 1975?
PostPosted: Sat August 5th, 2017, 22:09 GMT 

Joined: Tue October 13th, 2009, 20:44 GMT
Posts: 88
Okay, so he kicked his amphetamine and possibly his heroin habit after the crash, but he certainly seems to be benefitting from some amphetaminic assistance during the eastern leg of the RTR. In The Rolling Thunder Logbook Sheppard makes reference to "little green pills" that Dylan is taking. Anyone alive in 75 recall little green pills? Both Ratso and Sid Griffin refer to the 'extremely strong coffee' that Dylan is fond of, and Ratso mentions him drinking it before going on stage, but I don't see the intensity of Isis in Montreal being generated by coffee alone.

Dexamyl maybe?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexamyl


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun August 6th, 2017, 01:34 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat October 27th, 2007, 12:44 GMT
Posts: 16698
Location: Workin' as a postal clerk
One of the band members compared the sober vibe of '78 to rolling thunder which had people with "duffle bags" of cocaine that the band members could charge to their per diem. But that isn't Dylan, per se, just the environment (and probably not an unusual one for mid-70's rock and roll).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun August 6th, 2017, 09:27 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon April 2nd, 2007, 06:31 GMT
Posts: 751
Bob on heroin? That sound a bit harsh - did this info come from AJ Weberman...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun August 6th, 2017, 14:07 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun June 14th, 2015, 07:15 GMT
Posts: 364
Face paint fumes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun August 6th, 2017, 14:10 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat October 27th, 2007, 12:44 GMT
Posts: 16698
Location: Workin' as a postal clerk
Blind Boy Zimmerman wrote:
Bob on heroin? That sound a bit harsh - did this info come from AJ Weberman...

From Dylan's own mouth to Robert Shelton - 1966, I think.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun August 6th, 2017, 15:39 GMT 

Joined: Wed February 16th, 2005, 21:50 GMT
Posts: 4941
Location: New Hampshire
I remember reading somewhere that Joni Mitchell was paid in cocaine for the tour, so I think that was the main fuel, which makes sense. Pot, of course, is like coffee for that crowd - a staple.

I was behind the Harvard Sq. theater in Cambridge for that show, when the bus unloaded. All the artists were smiling and quite zoned out as they got off the bus.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun August 6th, 2017, 15:53 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat December 10th, 2011, 15:23 GMT
Posts: 209
Drugs? Oh who the heck knows... nobody for sure. Whatever you read is probably untrue unless it came from Bob, and in that case it still might be untrue.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun August 6th, 2017, 16:57 GMT 

Joined: Wed February 16th, 2005, 21:50 GMT
Posts: 4941
Location: New Hampshire
Winter Lude wrote:
Drugs? Oh who the heck knows... nobody for sure. Whatever you read is probably untrue unless it came from Bob, and in that case it still might be untrue.


What planet are you writing in from? Can't be this one. Any other people there?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun August 6th, 2017, 17:04 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat December 10th, 2011, 15:23 GMT
Posts: 209
chrome horse wrote:
Winter Lude wrote:
Drugs? Oh who the heck knows... nobody for sure. Whatever you read is probably untrue unless it came from Bob, and in that case it still might be untrue.


What planet are you writing in from? Can't be this one. Any other people there?


Are you asking a question, or making a point? If the latter, what would that point be?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun August 6th, 2017, 19:13 GMT 

Joined: Mon February 13th, 2006, 11:15 GMT
Posts: 617
Location: East London, UK
Ah, the familiar repeat of the old drug thread, for those who get off on that kind of thing .........


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun August 6th, 2017, 22:58 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue December 14th, 2010, 14:22 GMT
Posts: 43198
Location: Beneath the Southern X
smoke wrote:
Blind Boy Zimmerman wrote:
Bob on heroin? That sound a bit harsh - did this info come from AJ Weberman...

From Dylan's own mouth to Robert Shelton - 1966, I think.


Then again he also claimed a habit in the early '60s.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun August 6th, 2017, 23:31 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun June 5th, 2011, 06:05 GMT
Posts: 6356
Location: One Too Many Mornings and 1000 Miles Behind
He comes across as coked up to me. If he wasn't, and he just naturally had that kinda energy that's awesome, but he certainly sounds cocaine fueled to me in '75, and considering he never sounded quite like that any other time I think it's a safe assumption that there was certainly SOME sort of chemical assistance at play there.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon August 7th, 2017, 01:29 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu March 31st, 2016, 17:53 GMT
Posts: 149
Location: SF, CA
Johanna Parker wrote:
Then again he also claimed a habit in the early '60s.


As well as turning tricks. :roll: It's a guessing game obviously but I just don't see Bob as being on heroin at the time. I'd guess it was pills/a combo of uppers and downers on a daily basis.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon August 7th, 2017, 04:55 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon March 30th, 2009, 14:57 GMT
Posts: 1309
Location: Madly Across the Sun
Cold Irons Bound wrote:
As well as turning tricks. :roll: It's a guessing game obviously but I just don't see Bob as being on heroin at the time. I'd guess it was pills/a combo of uppers and downers on a daily basis.


And what pray tell do you think Dylan was on in that backseat with Lennon that caused him to talk like that and puke?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon August 7th, 2017, 05:34 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu March 31st, 2016, 17:53 GMT
Posts: 149
Location: SF, CA
yopietro wrote:
Cold Irons Bound wrote:
As well as turning tricks. :roll: It's a guessing game obviously but I just don't see Bob as being on heroin at the time. I'd guess it was pills/a combo of uppers and downers on a daily basis.


And what pray tell do you think Dylan was on in that backseat with Lennon that caused him to talk like that and puke?


I shouldn't have commented on the first place since 1) there is no way to come to a factual conclusion and 2) this is in very poor taste. But to end it, there are lots of drugs that, if you take too much of, will make you talk incoherently and vomit. There are/were lots of downers besides heroin. That being said, I have no idea what he was taking.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon August 7th, 2017, 13:38 GMT 

Joined: Mon June 12th, 2006, 17:46 GMT
Posts: 114
Location: Swords-Co. Dublin-Ireland
Dylan was ON fire in '75. He was also ON, in no particular order, stage, a bus, television, the radio, Sara, various other women, the guitar, harmonica, and rumour has it that he may have used some narcotics.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon August 7th, 2017, 14:52 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat January 3rd, 2009, 15:19 GMT
Posts: 8262
Location: Desolation Row
I think Ratso's book goes into more detail, if not of Bob's perscriptions, certainly that of the immediate entourage. Certainly prescription amphetamines, valium, barbituates. Doubtlessly coke and pot. And on one date in the north east, vitamin B shots from a doctor who insisted it would be much healthier than their usual amphetamine script.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon August 7th, 2017, 22:02 GMT 

Joined: Sat September 6th, 2014, 17:09 GMT
Posts: 5
yopietro wrote:
Cold Irons Bound wrote:
As well as turning tricks. :roll: It's a guessing game obviously but I just don't see Bob as being on heroin at the time. I'd guess it was pills/a combo of uppers and downers on a daily basis.


And what pray tell do you think Dylan was on in that backseat with Lennon that caused him to talk like that and puke?


Alcohol would do it, among many other things. So would illness. And so, of course, would heroin.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 01:38 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed April 29th, 2009, 03:22 GMT
Posts: 215
Location: Oceanside, CA, USA
Fog, amphetamine and pearls.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 02:05 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu February 2nd, 2006, 05:11 GMT
Posts: 3049
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Purely speculative thread.

Dylan somehow doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who was ever a big drug-taker (other than booze, esp. in the very early 90s). I'm sure he tooted and snorted a bit during 1965-66, and occasionally thereafter, but I really don't think he was ever this big near-junkie that people imagine, even during the 1966 tour, when he was just tired and getting bored. I suspect he just used the occasional upper to get him through the longer tours. By 1975, cocaine was the rock equivalent of a cup of tea, so obviously it was around.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 05:58 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat September 10th, 2016, 12:46 GMT
Posts: 1500
panther wrote:
Purely speculative thread.

Dylan somehow doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who was ever a big drug-taker (other than booze, esp. in the very early 90s). I'm sure he tooted and snorted a bit during 1965-66, and occasionally thereafter, but I really don't think he was ever this big near-junkie that people imagine, even during the 1966 tour, when he was just tired and getting bored. I suspect he just used the occasional upper to get him through the longer tours. By 1975, cocaine was the rock equivalent of a cup of tea, so obviously it was around.


Delusion, thy name is panther.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 06:14 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed December 4th, 2013, 06:39 GMT
Posts: 5760
Location: in the mystic garden
panther wrote:
Purely speculative thread.

Dylan somehow doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who was ever a big drug-taker (other than booze, esp. in the very early 90s). I'm sure he tooted and snorted a bit during 1965-66, and occasionally thereafter, but I really don't think he was ever this big near-junkie that people imagine, even during the 1966 tour, when he was just tired and getting bored. I suspect he just used the occasional upper to get him through the longer tours. By 1975, cocaine was the rock equivalent of a cup of tea, so obviously it was around.

You haven't heard Robbie Robertson's bathtub story then have you


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 13:37 GMT 

Joined: Sat February 7th, 2009, 20:08 GMT
Posts: 87
sam shepard mentions "Dylan is cranked up on some kind of funny chemical and keeps tapping his entire body to an inside rhythm. His eyes snake around the room, trying to find an opening. He's cornered by a sixteen-millimeter lens, a boom mike, a short girl who keeps referring to marriage, and various acoustic guitar pickers in the background, pretending he's out of earshot. " that sure sounds like coke or amphetamines.

and he also mentions David Blue Giving out animal tranqs.

and joints the size of cigars.

and lomotil, some medicine against "the trots" that has some sort of benzodiazepine like effects.

i think i read somewhere that dylan took alot of vitamins and weird herbal tea during the tour.
he drank alot of bourbon and cognac/brandy i believe.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 16:15 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon March 30th, 2009, 14:57 GMT
Posts: 1309
Location: Madly Across the Sun
When Dylan was at his rail thinnest (1966, 1975-76), most drug intake.
When he was at his fattest (early 1990's), most alcohol intake.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 19:15 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri January 5th, 2007, 23:38 GMT
Posts: 1833
Location: Ireland
Maxwinner wrote:
sam shepard mentions "Dylan is cranked up on some kind of funny chemical and keeps tapping his entire body to an inside rhythm. His eyes snake around the room, trying to find an opening. He's cornered by a sixteen-millimeter lens, a boom mike, a short girl who keeps referring to marriage, and various acoustic guitar pickers in the background, pretending he's out of earshot. " that sure sounds like coke or amphetamines.

and he also mentions David Blue Giving out animal tranqs.

and joints the size of cigars.

and lomotil, some medicine against "the trots" that has some sort of benzodiazepine like effects.

i think i read somewhere that dylan took alot of vitamins and weird herbal tea during the tour.
he drank alot of bourbon and cognac/brandy i believe.


What was Shepard on?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jordan


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group