Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue October 17th, 2017, 16:58 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Iowa 1996
PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 09:24 GMT 

Was anyone there? Recently re-watched the footage from it and listening to as well,must have been a great night.

Post subject: Re: Iowa 1996
PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 20:40 GMT 

Dubuque in November? Wasn't there either, but vividly recall watching the video capture those space invaders onstage and being astonished at how Dylan was enjoying it--AND his security was obviously allowing it.

If it's true that Dylan mostly took a hit--commercially & critically-- for about a generation, between Saved and Time Out of Mind, then I like to think of this Iowa show as a foreshadowing of things to come. The "comeback" was on the horizon. He sure was having fun that night. Those kids. They must have been handing out free beer. Or maybe it was pure, unadulterated sober joy at the music of a man who they didn't even think or know to negatively judge in the '80s and '90s.

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 21:23 GMT 

I think there were rumours that the Dubuque show (and other 'stage invaders' shows) were filmed by Bob's people, so there's a chance the invasions may not simply have been encouraged, but even set up. In any case, there's a disproportionate amount of young folks for a mid-90s Bob audience - and many of them don't look like they belong there. A bunch of drooling, leather-jacketed upper-middle-aged men slobbering all over Bob would perhaps have been more representative.

Could this have been a pro-active attempt by Dylan, Inc at encouraging the perception that 'the kids are down with Dylan - and he's well relevant'? A prototype for the grooving young hipsters paid to groove hip-ly behind Bob at the Grammys two years later? Only Bob (or Rosen) put the kibosh on releasing the footage?

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 22:43 GMT 

likeatrain wrote:
In any case, there's a disproportionate amount of young folks for a mid-90s Bob audience - and many of them don't look like they belong there.

While I only started seeing shows in the US after "TOOM" came out and even then never really did a College venue tour, I'm not sure what you say is totally true. Dylan's asking price hit rock bottom in the mid-90s and he did play a lot of colleges in those days and G.A. tickets often were around $25. I do think he actually attracted more regular young folks then than he would now that prices have sky-rocketed.

PostPosted: Sat August 5th, 2017, 00:54 GMT 
Promethium Member

I agree, lots more young people in the mid-90's than now, though I also heard rumors of concerts being filmed and of them intentionally letting people onstage. I don't know that they had to pack the audience with ringers, though, crushing towards the stage is kind of young person's game.

PostPosted: Sat August 5th, 2017, 14:41 GMT 

likeatrain wrote:
I think there were rumours that the Dubuque show (and other 'stage invaders' shows) were filmed by Bob's people, so there's a chance the invasions may not simply have been encouraged, but even set up. In any case, there's a disproportionate amount of young folks for a mid-90s Bob audience - and many of them don't look like they belong there. A bunch of drooling, leather-jacketed upper-middle-aged men slobbering all over Bob would perhaps have been more representative.

Could this have been a pro-active attempt by Dylan, Inc at encouraging the perception that 'the kids are down with Dylan - and he's well relevant'? A prototype for the grooving young hipsters paid to groove hip-ly behind Bob at the Grammys two years later? Only Bob (or Rosen) put the kibosh on releasing the footage?

Never heard that rumor. If true, interesting...and a bit sad.

Re: Early 1998 and the Grammys--I hadn't thought about those grooving hipsters, as you say, behind Dylan in a LONG time. They were indeed there, whomever hired them. I think it was the Grammy folks, but can't be sure (from an interview I later read). Of course, it backfired when one of those hipsters darted out of the shadows, ripped off his shirt and began--on live television, no less--gyrating a few feet away from Dylan in this crazy dance (in the moment, it was so surreal, it seemed like he was mere inches from Dylan). These words emblazoned on his bare chest--SOY BOMB. Meantime, Dylan pretty much acted as if the guy wasn't even there, grinding out "Love Sick." Security took FOREVER to remove him. It probably was only 10 seconds, but seemed like an eternity. Had to be one of the most bizarre moments in Grammys history (besides Dylan thanking Jerry Wexler, Barry Beckett--and the Lord--after receiving his first-ever Grammy).

By the way, this Soy Bomb character, not long after his ejection from the Grammys, was tracked down by a Pittsburgh journalist and interviewed for the now defunct Dylan magazine, On the Tracks. Only in Dylan town.