Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon October 23rd, 2017, 19:07 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 05:34 GMT 

Wymer UK will in October publish a limited edition book about the legendary concert at Blackbushe.

Here from the website:

In 1978 esteemed concert promoter Harvey Goldsmith put on the single biggest, paid one day concert in UK history at the Blackbushe Aerodrome in Surrey with some estimates putting the audience figure at around 250,000. Goldsmith still considers it the high point of his career: “The best event I’ve been involved in was a performance from Bob Dylan and Eric Clapton at Blackbushe Aerodrome in 1978. It was amazing to see so many people come out to enjoy The Picnic. I think there was around 200,000 people. Even to this day, there’s still a buzz about the event, which is extraordinary.”
Now you can relive the magic of Blackbushe in this stupendous limited edition coffee table style deluxe book. Crammed full of glorious, largely, previously unpublished colour photos of Dylan, Clapton, Armatrading and Parker, the book also covers each performance with memorabilia, stories, reviews, anecdotes and memories from the artists and audience alike.

This unique item is presented in an aluminium flight case and will be published in late October

https://www.wymeruk.co.uk/the-picnic-at-blackbushe.html

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 06:32 GMT 

I just visited Wymer site by the link you provided, thanks. It's all very interesting and to think that I was in the company of such celebs as actress Jenny Agutter! However the price tag of £79.99 is a big turn off and I'll just stick with my memories of a truly wondrous day.

It was my first Dylan show, but I got there as one of the guys on the illustration course I was on had a wife who worked for the company who were doing the merchandising. They were crying out for people to sell t-shirts and programmes, etc so four of us volunteered.
We travelled down to Blackbushe the night before from Rayleigh in Essex. We were told 'accommodation' would be provided but when we turned up there nothing had been arranged. So three of us ended up sleeping in the back of an empty Hertz rent-a-van without any bedding. Severe neck ache followed, I had used my jeans as a pillow, but it wasn't very effective!
Anyway, after breakfast - we had vouchers for the Artist Facilities - we were taken to our posts and spent most of the morning and afternoon selling. When our allotted amount of programmes had been sold we were free to spend the day as we pleased. I bought some water and started making my way to as near to the front of stage as I could. Eric Clapton had just started to play by then, I tripped over an old girl friend trying to make my way further forward but gave up still some way off.
I enjoyed the whole experience. We didn't get much money for working - the company didn't even send the programme and t-shirt they promised would be sent. However, those memories will be something I cherish forever.

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 07:07 GMT 

Thanks for the story, dvdunplugged.

I was not there, but I have listened to the recording of Dylan´s set many times. Not a high quality recording, but a truly excellent show!!!

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 07:32 GMT 

^^ have to think to this lines of the Kinks:
Thank you for the days,
Those endless days, those sacred days you gave me.
I'm thinking of the days,
I won't forget a single day, believe me.

Days I'll remember all my life,
Days when you can't see wrong from right.
You took my life,
But then I knew that very soon you'd leave me,
But it's all right,
Now I'm not frightened of this world, believe me.
Days.

Thank you dvdunplugged, for your memories.

Would be wonderful , we could here some other voices here about these magical days in 1978 ...
when we were young. ......

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 15:28 GMT 
Titanium Member

That's a very specific coffee table book. I can imagine guests wincing at it, if I could only justify the price.

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 17:42 GMT 

Metal flight case? WTAF? I'd love a nice Blackbushe book (I was there), but not at that price. Metal flight case, indeed. Pah.

PostPosted: Mon August 7th, 2017, 12:35 GMT 

Just seen one on resale for £2000.