Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed October 18th, 2017, 09:28 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 16:33 GMT 

Hey kuddukan, I have one question.

You saw the "original" post by Porco, what kind of footage came along with the audio? Old pictures or real footage of the rehearsal?

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 16:33 GMT 
Promethium Member

Sad indeed. :lol:
What would you rather have included on the record?

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 16:36 GMT 

Sure, chromester, Lilly and Hurricane, both thrash, we all know that. Sit down, please, you look tense. Cuppa tea?

*goes away, calls loony bin* Yes, come over please, we have a case for you. Book a room, long term. Tranquilizers? I don´t think we need them, just make sure you don´t mention Donald Trump. Yes. Thanks

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 16:38 GMT 

Senyor Timbaler wrote:

You saw the "original" post by Porco, what kind of footage came along with the audio? Old pictures or real footage of the rehearsal?

There was no real footage.
The video was using a laptop webcam to record audio.
There was a piece of tape over the webcam at first. The author had put a still picture on the video. Then about halfway through the author took the tape off the webcam and you could see him sitting on a sofa thumbing through a book or binder while listening to the audio of the rehearsal.

It was bizarre that it was even distributed as a video in the first place. More appropriately would have been an audio clip.

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 16:42 GMT 

Wow I did not know some people hate the song so much. I personally love the song, although I think it fits the Desire album better than BOTT.

About the youtube clip people are discussing, honestly, I think that you don't miss much if you miss it. It may be due to the fact that I am usually not a fan of Baez singing Dylan. This one is mostly Baez singing, with Dylan threw in some words here and there. If my memory serves me well, there's only a picture, not a live footage.

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 16:44 GMT 
Titanium Member

Huh, that's interesting. The video I saw was just a slideshow of Bob/Joan photos.

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 16:46 GMT 

Nightingale's Code wrote:
Huh, that's interesting. The video I saw was just a slideshow of Bob/Joan photos.

That wasn't the original. It was a repost where someone took out the footage of who I guess was Porco on the couch.

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 16:49 GMT 

Porco on the couch... That´s how I would have titled the vid :lol:

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 16:52 GMT 

kuddukan wrote:
Senyor Timbaler wrote:

There was no real footage.
The video was using a laptop webcam to record audio.
There was a piece of tape over the webcam at first. The author had put a still picture on the video. Then about halfway through the author took the tape off the webcam and you could see him sitting on a sofa thumbing through a book or binder while listening to the audio of the rehearsal.

It was bizarre that it was even distributed as a video in the first place. More appropriately would have been an audio clip.

Thanks so much.

I'm still trying to discern what was the real purpose behind this strange leak. The audio player was in sight?

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 17:09 GMT 

I didn't see the audio player. He had a book or binder in his lap sitting on a couch in a living room or den. I wasn't sure that maybe the audio was playing out of the laptop speakers which might be why he recorded it on his laptop webcam.

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 17:25 GMT 

Thanks again. Yes, this makes sense. There are some strange noises in the audio that didn't seem to emanate from the original tape but from the ambience when he recorded the sound from the original source. I asked about the audio player to know if there was a tape player in sight or if it was a digital audio player. Seems to be a record of the record. Well, at least now we have some idea (perhaps) about the arrangement they played in Salt Lake. Maybe someday... sooner or later... we will hear that tape.

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 18:38 GMT 

Senyor Timbaler wrote:
Thanks again. Yes, this makes sense. There are some strange noises in the audio that didn't seem to emanate from the original tape but from the ambience when he recorded the sound from the original source. I asked about the audio player to know if there was a tape player in sight or if it was a digital audio player. Seems to be a record of the record. Well, at least now we have some idea (perhaps) about the arrangement they played in Salt Lake. Maybe someday... sooner or later... we will hear that tape.

If such a tape exists at all. Somewhere I read - though long ago - that Bob's crew abandoned recordings of that tour after Fort Collins was in the can.

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 20:04 GMT 

I don't remember well now, but there is some source (a guitar tech I guess) who said Salt Lake was recorded and filmed. The mistery goes on.

PostPosted: Sat August 5th, 2017, 17:32 GMT 

Senyor Timbaler wrote:
I don't remember well now, but there is some source (a guitar tech I guess) who said Salt Lake was recorded and filmed. The mistery goes on.

Joel Bernstein said he wished this show was recorded instead of Fort Collin. He worked as a guitar tech on the tour starting with Clearwater Rehearsals, and then went on to work with Dylan until the shows in Australia in 1978. He also made several photo covers for Hard Rain, Street Legal, At Budokan, Biograph and BS 1-3. That was in an interview with the Telegraph in 1994. Someone posted a link of those excerpts about Salt Lake, in this thread or the locked thread in the rare recordings section.

PostPosted: Sat August 5th, 2017, 17:48 GMT 

What's crazy is the combination of the huge percentage of shows that have been recorded and shared - compared to the fact that THIS is like the one that got away. It wasn't some throwaway repeat shows, it was this legendary mythic show with one off performances that was the one that got away.

PostPosted: Sat August 5th, 2017, 18:05 GMT 

BobDylan66 wrote:
Senyor Timbaler wrote:

Joel Bernstein said he wished this show was recorded instead of Fort Collin. He worked as a guitar tech on the tour starting with Clearwater Rehearsals, and then went on to work with Dylan until the shows in Australia in 1978. He also made several photo covers for Hard Rain, Street Legal, At Budokan, Biograph and BS 1-3. That was in an interview with the Telegraph in 1994. Someone posted a link of those excerpts about Salt Lake, in this thread or the locked thread in the rare recordings section.

Yes, this is the source I was thinking about. I did overlook that he was talking about his wishes.

kuddukan wrote:
What's crazy is the combination of the huge percentage of shows that have been recorded and shared - compared to the fact that THIS is like the one that got away. It wasn't some throwaway repeat shows, it was this legendary mythic show with one off performances that was the one that got away.

Yes, and bobdylan.com promotes the mistery saying that Black Diamond Bay was played that day too, when all the good sources (I hope I am now remembering well) said that Black Diamond was never played. I hope there is a reel somewhere, probably in the hands of Dylan's people.

PostPosted: Sun August 6th, 2017, 06:33 GMT 

kuddukan wrote:
Reply from Porco on blog: "Can't add more than what I have relayed here...a full rehearsal clip exists somewhere but this snippet is all I could muster..."

ER's reporting on this clip actually began four days earlier than this thread's, on page two here, with a post by Hard times- perhaps a Mod could copy it to the top of this thread to unify it?http://www.expectingrain.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=90388&start=50

PostPosted: Sun August 6th, 2017, 10:43 GMT 

This song got me into Dylan from a pallete of hip hop.

PostPosted: Mon August 7th, 2017, 06:08 GMT 

Brian_Eire wrote:
Had you already taken all of the dye out of your pallete?*

*no idea what this means

PostPosted: Mon August 7th, 2017, 10:11 GMT 
Promethium Member

Senyor Timbaler wrote:
Yes, and bobdylan.com promotes the mistery saying that Black Diamond Bay was played that day too, when all the good sources (I hope I am now remembering well) said that Black Diamond was never played. I hope there is a reel somewhere, probably in the hands of Dylan's people.

I believe it. Always have.
Hoping it's worth it's weight in wait.

MAY 25, 1976
Salt Lake City, UT
Salt Palace

SET LIST

Mr. Tambourine Man
Gates Of Eden
Vincent van Gogh
Mozambique
Just Like A Woman
Isis
Maggie’s Farm
Lay, Lady, Lay
Blowin’ In The Wind
I Pity The Poor Immigrant
I Shall Be Released
Lily, Rosemary And The Jack Of Hearts
Tangled Up In Blue
You’re A Big Girl Now
You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go
Shelter From The Storm
Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again
Oh, Sister
Black Diamond Bay
Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door
Gotta Travel On

source: BobDylan.com

PostPosted: Mon August 7th, 2017, 10:36 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:

MAY 25, 1976
Salt Lake City, UT
Salt Palace

SET LIST

Mr. Tambourine Man
Gates Of Eden
Vincent van Gogh
Mozambique
Just Like A Woman
Isis
Maggie’s Farm
Lay, Lady, Lay
Blowin’ In The Wind
I Shall Be Released
Tangled Up In Blue
You’re A Big Girl Now
Shelter From The Storm
Oh, Sister
Black Diamond Bay
Gotta Travel On

Close to perfection.

PostPosted: Mon August 7th, 2017, 14:05 GMT 

AndoDoug wrote:
Brian_Eire wrote:
Had you already taken all of the dye out of your pallete?*

*no idea what this means

Didn't mean to put double L's! A palette of hip hop seemed like a normal thing to say... To me! That's where my taste was at the time. The wordplay, metaphor and language used in something like Nas's 'memory lane' made a jump into 'blood on the tracks' a very logical step in my mind. The scenery more vivid and definitely more economy of word but many parallels. Street poetry from early 90's NY rap artists reminds me in many ways of "highway 61 revisited" and "bringing it all back home"

PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 21:08 GMT 

Brian_Eire wrote:
Brian_Eire wrote:
Didn't mean to put double L's! A palette of hip hop seemed like a normal thing to say... To me! That's where my taste was at the time. The wordplay, metaphor..."

I didn't notice the misspelling - and yes i knew exactly what you meant - pardone my silliness, :D it was a non sequitur re-phrase of a line from LRATJOH

PostPosted: Wed August 9th, 2017, 04:28 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Senyor Timbaler wrote:

MAY 25, 1976
Salt Lake City, UT
Salt Palace

SET LIST

Mr. Tambourine Man
Gates Of Eden
Vincent van Gogh
Mozambique
Just Like A Woman
Isis
Maggie’s Farm
Lay, Lady, Lay
Blowin’ In The Wind
I Shall Be Released
Tangled Up In Blue
You’re A Big Girl Now
Shelter From The Storm
Oh, Sister
Black Diamond Bay
Gotta Travel On

Presumably if Dylan's people had it it's now in OKC, right? Has anyone been there and checked their inventory?

PostPosted: Wed August 9th, 2017, 05:16 GMT 
Titanium Member

josemesa wrote:
Presumably if Dylan's people had it it's now in OKC, right? Has anyone been there and checked their inventory?

Not necessarily. I was under the impression that a good percentage of the archive went to Tulsa but not everything. I could be wrong.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next