Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue October 17th, 2017, 20:25 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu August 3rd, 2017, 16:33 GMT 
Mercury Member

It's a fantastic song, in Dylan's finest tradition of the picaresque - skipping it is tantamount to treason. What kind of person would do that?

PostPosted: Thu August 3rd, 2017, 16:47 GMT 

slimtimslide wrote:
It's a fantastic song, in Dylan's finest tradition of the picaresque - skipping it is tantamount to treason. What kind of person would do that?

Sometimes skipping long songs is a way to keep from hating them. If you listen to a long song too much you get sick of it faster. Better to skip it while brain cells die and when it's almost forgotten, listen to it again. It's like a new experience. My dad used to say that about watching old movies.

PostPosted: Thu August 3rd, 2017, 17:32 GMT 

Hmm.

Jack of Hearts might be my favorite track on BOTT.

PostPosted: Thu August 3rd, 2017, 18:43 GMT 

I guess we can summarize this affair as we say in my town: Throw the stone and hide the hand.

PostPosted: Thu August 3rd, 2017, 18:58 GMT 
Mercury Member

Winter Lude wrote:
slimtimslide wrote:

Sometimes skipping long songs is a way to keep from hating them. If you listen to a long song too much you get sick of it faster. Better to skip it while brain cells die and when it's almost forgotten, listen to it again. It's like a new experience. My dad used to say that about watching old movies.

I listen to it on the correct speed album release, which lasts even longer than the regular version!

PostPosted: Thu August 3rd, 2017, 20:36 GMT 

I am honored that I got to hear even just a snippet of the rehearsal. I am sure there are lots of other fans who never got the chance to hear this

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 01:21 GMT 

goodmeats wrote:
I am honored that I got to hear even just a snippet of the rehearsal. I am sure there are lots of other fans who never got the chance to hear this

Sadly, I'm one of those fans who missed it. Can anyone tell me how long of a clip it was? And if it was really good?

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 01:32 GMT 

20YearsAgo wrote:
goodmeats wrote:

Sadly, I'm one of those fans who missed it. Can anyone tell me how long of a clip it was? And if it was really good?

It was just like 1:30 long and mainly Joan Baez singing with an occasional word from Bob

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 02:01 GMT 

goodmeats wrote:
[quote="20YearsAgo"

It was just like 1:30 long and mainly Joan Baez singing with an occasional word from Bob[/quote]

Ahh.. well now I can dream about it at least. It's been a great week in the Bob World-- the '65 AG shows, plus I see that upgrade Dylan/Cash '69 acetate is starting to circulate.

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 04:53 GMT 

Is it still on YouTube?

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 07:02 GMT 

Darnit! Why did it have to happen when I was stuck on a ten hour train ride? If anywhere here is anything like me, you downloaded the track before even playing it, so: Who has it? And who do I have to pretend to offer sexual favors to to make it appear in my inbox?

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 07:58 GMT 
Promethium Member

No favors offered, but I'd like to hear it too, if anyone's feeling generous.

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 08:23 GMT 

I wouldnt worry if you missed it, im 100% sure some-one got the audio and it will be back up soon enough.

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 11:12 GMT 

i don't blame mister porco one bit for wanting the snippet removed, i'd hate to know there's been negative consequences in his life and his friends, cause of us. (although, he has himself to blame firstly)

this is what happens when the studio/owners and other people dangle a piece of meat in front of the rabid bob-cats.
either they release everything, or just burn the tapes.

they can't keep hiding this stuff from us.
and they can't expect us to buy falsely advertised, high-priced, badly edited packages for us to burn our money on, like the editing done on "see ya later allen ginsberg"
or saying that the basement tapes were "complete".

stop lying, stop over-charging.
and release everything
or nothing.

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 11:34 GMT 
Promethium Member

Only 9 years til public domain...

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 12:11 GMT 

kuddukan wrote:
Hmm.

Jack of Hearts might be my favorite track on BOTT.

I wouldn't call it *my fav in BOOT* when in front of titans like Idiot, Shelter and Tangled.
But it's sure one of Dylan's finest moments as a whole, not just in Blood On The Tracks.

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 12:59 GMT 

wormington wrote:
bobfan wrote:
It's not the sixties. Times have changed. Does any one really care if a few minute fragment of a rehearsal circulates amongst the couple of hundred people on the planet who have even the remotest interest in listening to it? As for skipping the track on BOOT tracks, never; it's a highlight of the album for me, great lyric; great vocal.

never understood the bad reputation this song has. masterful track, love it

It has? I always assumed it was regarded as a classic.

I remember one critic back in the day describing it as 'the best of Dylan - and Dylan's the best'.

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 13:27 GMT 

Gazza63 wrote:

I remember one critic back in the day describing it as 'the best of Dylan - and Dylan's the best'.

Many people would have left it out of BOTT. I understand it´s a total different song from the other tracks so some people even if they like it think it doesn´t fit, but I like that, it gives you a bit of a break from all that emotional depth.

Other similar cases are Joey on Desire, Disease of conceit from Oh mercy, Tweedle dee & tweedle dum from L&T, or Neighborhood bully from Infidels. All often bashed, but I think they´re all great

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 14:11 GMT 

wormington wrote:
Gazza63 wrote:

Many people would have left it out of BOTT. I understand it´s a total different song from the other tracks so some people even if they like it think it doesn´t fit, but I like that, it gives you a bit of a break from all that emotional depth.

Other similar cases are Joey on Desire, Disease of conceit from Oh mercy, Tweedle dee & tweedle dum from L&T, or Neighborhood bully from Infidels. All often bashed, but I think they´re all great

Whoa whoa hold on. No Jack of Hearts on BOTT. My heart just skipped two beats. Calm down!!

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 14:15 GMT 

I first heard Blood on the tracks from my father´s old vinyl.
his copy had Lily, Rosemary and JOH underlined with a thick red marker, so I thought, "Damn, this must the highlight of the record!", and I wasn´t disappointed.
Later however, I saw he had done the same with Man gave names to all the animals on Slow train coming.
I lost some faith on my dad that day. On a deep level

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 14:30 GMT 

wormington wrote:
his copy had Lily, Rosemary and JOH underlined with a thick red marker, so I thought, "Damn, this must the highlight of the record!", and I wasn´t disappointed.
Later however, I saw he had done the same with Man gave names to all the animals on Slow train coming.

Was the marker at least a different color?

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 14:38 GMT 

kuddukan wrote:
wormington wrote:

Was the marker at least a different color?

haha, not sure, kudz, but my crappy memory thinks it was also red. It was a cassette. I haven´t seen those for many many years
He also declared with a straight face that Hurricane is the only good song on Desire and that At Budokan is Dylan´s absolute best LP.
Some times I think I might have been adopted :?

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 15:13 GMT 

Song should have been dumped, along with Hurricane. A shame they ate up valuable exposure during "Peak Dylan" time.

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 15:43 GMT 

awwww man, i always miss the best stuff

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 16:01 GMT 

chrome horse wrote:
Song should have been dumped, along with Hurricane. A shame they ate up valuable exposure during "Peak Dylan" time.

Are you talking about Jack of Hearts? No way!! You've said some incendiary things here before - but this takes the cake!! Sad!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next