Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed October 18th, 2017, 04:07 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 13:30 GMT 

bstacy wrote:
pol2jem wrote:
To introduce a little more mystery to the "Which one is Berkeley...?" question, I just noticed this at the foot of the relevant page at Searching For A Gem, here:-

http://www.searchingforagem.com/2010s/2 ... hAnniv.htm

Quote:-

The Berkeley tape was recorded by Allen Ginsberg. However, Stephan Pickering says:

"Allen Ginsberg donated almost all of his archive to Stanford University's Special Collections.

MO 733, Ginsberg Papers Subseries 11.b. Reel-to-reel tapes; 7 in.

Box 119, Reel 7. "Bob Dylan, San José, CA, Civic Auditorium, 12 December 1965"

Box 134, Reel 5. "San Francisco, CA, Dylan undated" [AG had identified this tape as Berkeley 4 December 1965 after it was catalogued as 'San Francisco, Dylan undated.']

Box 120, Reel 1: "[Untitled] 1965 Dec 12"

I have not had the opportunity to listen to Box 120 Reel 1, and I would like to know who has reidentified these tapes, and on what documentary basis. No doubt, these are the Stanford archived tape reels. This means the Berkeley 4 December 1965 (Box 134 Reel 5) released by Jeff Rosen is actually 11 December 1965 San Francisco. What happened to 4 December 1965 Berkeley? I was there, and saw Reb Allen taping the electric segment, the acoustic 'Freeze Out' premiered that night, but he wasn't able to tape it."

Unquote

So, it seems Allen Ginsberg himself suggested that the undated San Francisco tape was Berkeley. The reason we believe that the San Francisco tape is San Francisco is that AG asks Bob where he is playing next during their backstage conversation and the answer is "San Jose", and the tour dates support that assertion.

It seems clear that the San Jose tape is definitely San Jose. The information contained in the fan interviews AG conducted prior to and after the show confirm that they are outside the Civic Auditorium. Also Bob confirms to AG during their interval conversation here that his next show is at Long Beach which again fits the tour schedule (although for some reason the Long Beach show on 17 December is not included at bobdylan.com.)

However, it does seem that there is another tape, Box 120, Reel 1: "[Untitled] 1965 Dec 12", that perhaps hasn't been digitised yet, or perhaps is not being offered as a listening experience to visitors to the Library. As Stephan reports that he saw AG taping the electric set at Berkeley (but not the acoustic set at which "Visions of Johanna" was premiered), I think one should assume that this mystery reel is actually the Berkeley electric set.

I've heard only excerpts so far but there was another tape recorded by Allen Ginsberg at San Jose on Dec 12th. Totaling a little more than 80 minutes (no music), it is Allen talking with (interviewing) fans/audience members before and after that concert. The part I heard, AG was quizzing a bunch of 13-year old gals on what they thought about Bob's song "Desolation Row" etc.

I don't know for sure, but I'd guess that this "interview" tape is the one at the Stanford Library archive labeled Box 120, Reel 1: "[Untitled] 1965 Dec 12. I don't know whether it's available for listening at the archives, but apparently the recording is now out and about.

Bob,

The San Jose fan interviews are on the same reel as the San Jose concert - Box 119, Reel 07.

Box 120, Reel 01 remains a mystery.

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 15:23 GMT 

If historic relevance was one of the reasons for Ginsberg to go through all these motions I guess he's smiling in his grave reading these threads.

The quality of these tapes is amazingly good to my ears. All the instruments are clearly distinguishable (is this a word?), even better than on many later bootlegs. I would never have guessed that open reel tapes would be so durable for such a long time.

And lots of thanks to the person(s) who made this available.

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 20:31 GMT 

[quote="pol2jem]

>Bob,
>The San Jose fan interviews are on the same reel as the San Jose concert - Box 119, Reel 07.
>Box 120, Reel 01 remains a mystery.[/quote]

Ok thanks - senior moment - I overlooked AG's handwritten note displayed at the archive.

One other thing to note. On what has recently circulated, the acoustic half of the San Francisco tape originally ran about 3% slow. There were also numerous volume fluctuations on the San Jose tape. I've been assured that the files sent to the uploader at TD are the speed-corrected versions with volume fluctuations smoothed as much as possible. So, the San Francisco/San Jose combo set at TD is the one to seek since that also apparently includes the San Jose fan interviews.

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 23:10 GMT 
Mercury Member

bstacy wrote:

One other thing to note. On what has recently circulated, the acoustic half of the San Francisco tape originally ran about 3% slow. There were also numerous volume fluctuations on the San Jose tape. I've been assured that the files sent to the uploader at TD are the speed-corrected versions with volume fluctuations smoothed as much as possible. So, the San Francisco/San Jose combo set at TD is the one to seek since that also apparently includes the San Jose fan interviews.

That certainly seems to be the case - about an hour of fan interviews on the San Jose section, which are quite amusing. The fidelity may not be perfect but this remains a fantastic discovery.

PostPosted: Sat August 5th, 2017, 08:56 GMT 

pol2jem wrote:
bstacy wrote:

Bob,

The San Jose fan interviews are on the same reel as the San Jose concert - Box 119, Reel 07.

Box 120, Reel 01 remains a mystery.

Is there a high-res version of the San Jose sheet? Source? Please and thank you :)

PostPosted: Sat August 5th, 2017, 12:18 GMT 

slimtimslide wrote:
Is there a high-res version of the San Jose sheet? Source? Please and thank you :)

check this...
https://library.stanford.edu/blogs/digi ... erg-papers

PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 16:43 GMT 

I was just about to put one of the concerts on while I clean up my work shop and I can't find it. I think it may have been taken down. Can someone please confirm, and if it's still out there, provide a link?

It's probably gone. Damn.. I should have copied the audio. :cry:

PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 17:17 GMT 
Titanium Member

Here's a link - xx

Last edited by SirDogg on Sun August 13th, 2017, 07:41 GMT, edited 1 time in total.
removed link, may contain copyrighted material, please do not share

PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 23:50 GMT 

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed August 9th, 2017, 13:30 GMT 

Or...

xx

Last edited by SirDogg on Sun August 13th, 2017, 07:41 GMT, edited 1 time in total.
removed link, may contain copyrighted material, please do not share

PostPosted: Thu August 10th, 2017, 10:23 GMT 

What's really interesting about these shows, wonderful though they are, is what they lack compared to the 1966 tour recordings. Hudson, and particularly Robertson, would have to learn to play a lot less, for example. There's an intricacy to the arrangements of things like It Ain't Me Babe (which, admittedly, works beautifully in San Jose) and Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues which really don't do them any favours. Too bloody clever. So Tombstone Blues morphs into the chugging onslaught of Tell Me, Momma; Baby, Let Me Follow You Down and Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues become much simpler and more scathing; Long Distance Operator is ditched for another, more driving, blues; It Ain't Me Babe is replaced by another jaded love song from roughly the same period; and Ballad Of A Thin Man and Like A Rolling Stone are slowed right down so they be delivered in all their finger-pointing, bilious glory. "Beautiful" may be the reaction from in-the-know Northern Californians in December; but, by May 1966, as Richard Manuel himself was to sing, only a few years later: "I'm tired of everything being 'beautiful, beautiful'". Let's go with something a little nastier...