Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu October 19th, 2017, 12:56 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed August 2nd, 2017, 19:20 GMT 

Don´t mind me pol2jem, just being my usual cheeky self!
sucks if we don´t get good quality release with good sound in the end, though, after hearing that these concerts are like the end of the world...

PostPosted: Wed August 2nd, 2017, 20:21 GMT 
Mercury Member

The end of the world is a good thing?

No, they are more like something happening at the start of a new world. I'm listening to the San Francisco gig as I type, and though the sound quality is far from Hi Fi, anyone used to listening to bootlegs will have heard far worse - the hush, and occasional laughter, during VOJ is astonishing, as is the performance.

It's a great thing that we can get these - and for free. Whoever torrented these could easily have put them out as a for-profit CD, and many people here would have parted with hard cash... It's free, and people still complain!

PostPosted: Wed August 2nd, 2017, 20:33 GMT 

The music comes across fine, better on San Jose. The remarks before Visions are pretty overloaded and nearly impossible to understand.

But it is a plus to have these after 51+ years

PostPosted: Wed August 2nd, 2017, 20:54 GMT 

paid in blood wrote:
The music comes across fine, better on San Jose. The remarks before Visions are pretty overloaded and nearly impossible to understand.

But it is a plus to have these after 51+ years

I feel like the cleaned-up San Jose electric set (previously circulating as Berkeley) is a total highlight! It sounds amazing!

PostPosted: Thu August 3rd, 2017, 03:46 GMT 

I guess the high quality flac files have reached layers 3-5 of the Bob Dylan fandom inner circle...
...but now it's available to us filthy heathens on youtube! :mrgreen:

Previously Unreleased Bob Dylan San Francisco 11 Dec 65 recorded by Allen Ginsberg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sSoVMQhivY

containing these tracks
01 Backstage conversation.flac
02 To Ramona.flac
03 Gates Of Eden.flac
04 It's All Over Now, Baby Blue.flac
05 Desolation Row.flac
06 Love Minus Zero - No Limit.flac
07 Visions Of Johanna.flac
08 Mr Tambourine Man.flac
09 Tombstone Blues.flac
10 I Don't Believe You.flac
11 Baby, Let Me Follow You Down.flac
12 Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues.flac
13 Long Distance Operator.flac
14 It Ain't Me, Babe.flac
15 Ballad Of A Thin Man.flac
16 Positively 4th Street.flac
17 Like A Rolling Stone.flac

PostPosted: Thu August 3rd, 2017, 06:21 GMT 

slimtimslide wrote:
The end of the world is a good thing?

No, they are more like something happening at the start of a new world. I'm listening to the San Francisco gig as I type, and though the sound quality is far from Hi Fi, anyone used to listening to bootlegs will have heard far worse - the hush, and occasional laughter, during VOJ is astonishing, as is the performance.

It's a great thing that we can get these - and for free. Whoever torrented these could easily have put them out as a for-profit CD, and many people here would have parted with hard cash... It's free, and people still complain!

oh, damn, the end of the world is indeed a bad thing, and I misused the expression :oops: . No need to clarify I guess that english is not my native language

And I hate to come across as a whiny little tit, but I´m the kind of guy who will gladly pay some money for a good handsome proper release rather than deal with downloads.

I will go to youtube bit later and check the SF gig out. thanks for the link!

PostPosted: Thu August 3rd, 2017, 08:53 GMT 

I'm hearing bits and pieces from both shows now.
Quality not horrendous, but not great either. I don't see myself revisiting this again unless sound quality is upgraded some time in the future

PostPosted: Thu August 3rd, 2017, 09:33 GMT 

The acoustic set is a bit muddy but the electric set is absolute stunning for a 1965 audience tape.

Clearly one of the greatest performances 1965/66 (Performance, phrasing, etcc.).

PostPosted: Thu August 3rd, 2017, 09:34 GMT 
Mercury Member

"If you don't like listening to poorly recorded bootlegs of obscure gigs, why do you even come here?" :D

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu August 3rd, 2017, 12:16 GMT 

slimtimslide wrote:
"If you don't like listening to poorly recorded bootlegs of obscure gigs, why do you even come here?" :D

there is no room in ER for balanced individuals who have only a mild and healthy obsession with the bobster? :P

PostPosted: Thu August 3rd, 2017, 12:20 GMT 
Mercury Member

wormington wrote:
slimtimslide wrote:

there is no room in ER for balanced individuals who have only a mild and healthy obsession with the bobster? :P

Certainly not! A complete mania for collection, regardless of quality, and a keen interest in cheese are basic requirements - I'm amazed they let you in!

PostPosted: Thu August 3rd, 2017, 12:26 GMT 

slimtimslide wrote:
Certainly not! A complete mania for collection, regardless of quality, and a keen interest in cheese are basic requirements - I'm amazed they let you in!

Well, my family has been manufacturing an excellent quality sheep milk cheese for decades now, which has won awards in Spain.
Does that help redeem me some? :)

PostPosted: Thu August 3rd, 2017, 13:22 GMT 
Mercury Member

wormington wrote:
slimtimslide wrote:

Well, my family has been manufacturing an excellent quality sheep milk cheese for decades now, which has won awards in Spain.
Does that help redeem me some? :)

Some photos and a free sample would probably gain you an access all areas pass!

PostPosted: Thu August 3rd, 2017, 13:41 GMT 

Here´s a pic. God, I salivate myself just looking at it, and I´ve just had lunch.
As for free samples, come to Spain and you´ll get as many as you want

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu August 3rd, 2017, 13:51 GMT 
Mercury Member

wormington wrote:
Here´s a pic. God, I salivate myself just looking at it, and I´ve just had lunch.
As for free samples, come to Spain and you´ll get as many as you want

Droool.... I'm on my way! 8)

PostPosted: Thu August 3rd, 2017, 15:18 GMT 

I'm listening right now. The sound quality is much better than I imagined it would be.

When I was 15 I got a bootleg tape of Bristol Colston hall, from the spring 1966 leg. It was just a muffled echo of a recording, I could barely tell what songs he was doing. But I listened over and over and my mind filled in the gaps. These Ginsberg recordings are a million times better than that, so I have no problem with the quality.

PostPosted: Thu August 3rd, 2017, 16:07 GMT 

These are amazing, nice quality and a lovely snapshot of the time.
Thanks to whoever took the time to share them.

PostPosted: Thu August 3rd, 2017, 17:34 GMT 

Are these cloned off the tapes in the Stanford Library?

PostPosted: Thu August 3rd, 2017, 17:47 GMT 

Bob complaining to Robbie about cameras and picture taking.....52 years later, nothing has changed hahahaha

PostPosted: Thu August 3rd, 2017, 18:34 GMT 

This version of It Ain't me babe is incredible!

On the Dec 11 recording the drummer starts LARS faster than I've ever heard it. Judging by the way it sounded 5 months later, I don't think Bob liked it fast. He's almost falling behind at times.

PostPosted: Thu August 3rd, 2017, 23:18 GMT 

"The drummer", Bobby Gregg, played on the record

PostPosted: Thu August 3rd, 2017, 23:56 GMT 

pol2jem wrote:
To introduce a little more mystery to the "Which one is Berkeley...?" question, I just noticed this at the foot of the relevant page at Searching For A Gem, here:-

http://www.searchingforagem.com/2010s/2 ... hAnniv.htm

Quote:-

The Berkeley tape was recorded by Allen Ginsberg. However, Stephan Pickering says:

"Allen Ginsberg donated almost all of his archive to Stanford University's Special Collections.

MO 733, Ginsberg Papers Subseries 11.b. Reel-to-reel tapes; 7 in.

Box 119, Reel 7. "Bob Dylan, San José, CA, Civic Auditorium, 12 December 1965"

Box 134, Reel 5. "San Francisco, CA, Dylan undated" [AG had identified this tape as Berkeley 4 December 1965 after it was catalogued as 'San Francisco, Dylan undated.']

Box 120, Reel 1: "[Untitled] 1965 Dec 12"

I have not had the opportunity to listen to Box 120 Reel 1, and I would like to know who has reidentified these tapes, and on what documentary basis. No doubt, these are the Stanford archived tape reels. This means the Berkeley 4 December 1965 (Box 134 Reel 5) released by Jeff Rosen is actually 11 December 1965 San Francisco. What happened to 4 December 1965 Berkeley? I was there, and saw Reb Allen taping the electric segment, the acoustic 'Freeze Out' premiered that night, but he wasn't able to tape it."

Unquote

So, it seems Allen Ginsberg himself suggested that the undated San Francisco tape was Berkeley. The reason we believe that the San Francisco tape is San Francisco is that AG asks Bob where he is playing next during their backstage conversation and the answer is "San Jose", and the tour dates support that assertion.

It seems clear that the San Jose tape is definitely San Jose. The information contained in the fan interviews AG conducted prior to and after the show confirm that they are outside the Civic Auditorium. Also Bob confirms to AG during their interval conversation here that his next show is at Long Beach which again fits the tour schedule (although for some reason the Long Beach show on 17 December is not included at bobdylan.com.)

However, it does seem that there is another tape, Box 120, Reel 1: "[Untitled] 1965 Dec 12", that perhaps hasn't been digitised yet, or perhaps is not being offered as a listening experience to visitors to the Library. As Stephan reports that he saw AG taping the electric set at Berkeley (but not the acoustic set at which "Visions of Johanna" was premiered), I think one should assume that this mystery reel is actually the Berkeley electric set.

I've heard only excerpts so far but there was another tape recorded by Allen Ginsberg at San Jose on Dec 12th. Totaling a little more than 80 minutes (no music), it is Allen talking with (interviewing) fans/audience members before and after that concert. The part I heard, AG was quizzing a bunch of 13-year old gals on what they thought about Bob's song "Desolation Row" etc.

I don't know for sure, but I'd guess that this "interview" tape is the one at the Stanford Library archive labeled Box 120, Reel 1: "[Untitled] 1965 Dec 12. I don't know whether it's available for listening at the archives, but apparently the recording is now out and about.

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 05:41 GMT 

Just listened to that whole 1965 SF tape ... wow ... what a wonderful surprise. Bob talk, acoustic and electric.
What a time to be alive!

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 08:03 GMT 
Promethium Member

Thank YOU :D

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 08:04 GMT 
Promethium Member

Since this is in the public domain, it's bound to appear on vinyl soon, right?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next