Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon December 18th, 2017, 03:17 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 23:57 GMT 

The old wig bearer hasn't picked up a harp in months. Is it too hard on his lungs? Old age? Bored of it perhaps?

The fans want to see a guitar wielding Bob who plays his own songs with the occasional accompaniment of harmonica. Seems we've lost some key elements of a bob concert.

PostPosted: Fri July 14th, 2017, 00:01 GMT 
Titanium Member

Never mind Bob, Harmonica Al hasn't posted in ages. One of the most eloquent and insightful contributors to this great community.

PostPosted: Fri July 14th, 2017, 00:12 GMT 

I don't recall that person but many users have left.
I remember an expecting rain user that went by old man reily. He died while browsing the site and then a few weeks later he mysteriously made another post or two before signing off for good. I enjoyed having him around.

PostPosted: Fri July 14th, 2017, 00:18 GMT 

I came here thinking this was a thread about Harmonica Al. I miss reading what that guy had to say.

PostPosted: Fri July 14th, 2017, 02:52 GMT 

dylanswife wrote:
I remember an expecting rain user that went by old man reily. He died while browsing the site and then a few weeks later he mysteriously made another post or two before signing off for good. I enjoyed having him around.

I remember him too! But I think that was actually back at the old Dylan Pool, before it imploded. That place was nuts.

PostPosted: Fri July 14th, 2017, 03:02 GMT 
Promethium Member

kuddukan wrote:
I came here thinking this was a thread about Harmonica Al. I miss reading what that guy had to say.

Same here.

PostPosted: Fri July 14th, 2017, 03:06 GMT 

How did you know they died while browsing the site?

PostPosted: Fri July 14th, 2017, 03:22 GMT 

kuddukan wrote:
How did you know they died while browsing the site?

As I remember it, his daughter or granddaughter posted afterwards. Said they found him slumped in front of his computer with the Dylan Pool up and a smile on his face.

PostPosted: Fri July 14th, 2017, 03:28 GMT 

Wow.
I hope Bob gave him one last surprise on the set list.

PostPosted: Fri July 14th, 2017, 14:20 GMT 

Where's MilkCow?

PostPosted: Fri July 14th, 2017, 16:04 GMT 
Titanium Member

grwarrington wrote:
Where's MilkCow?

Most likely, in the front row of a Dylan concert, in her big shoes, and a smile on her face. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri July 14th, 2017, 16:55 GMT 
Mercury Member

grwarrington wrote:
Where's MilkCow?

Still hoping for a Spanish Kiss. I did shout out to Bob for one on her behalf back in 2009, dunno if he ever kept his end of the deal....

PostPosted: Fri July 14th, 2017, 17:00 GMT 

slimtimslide wrote:
grwarrington wrote:
Where's MilkCow?

Still hoping for a Spanish Kiss. I did shout out to Bob for one on her behalf back in 2009, dunno if he ever kept his end of the deal....

Am I allowed to know what the deal was about slimtimslide? I knew milk cow too......

PostPosted: Fri July 14th, 2017, 17:41 GMT 
Mercury Member

Well you know a French kiss, right? A Spanish kiss is similar, just a bit further south. I promised Milkcow I'd shout out a request to Bob on her behalf at the Roundhouse, which I did - "Spanish kiss for Milkcow" I yelled..... strangely it doesn't appear on the tape I got, but I did do it, honest! No idea if he followed up, but it could explain the mysterious star-jumps he did there when the lights went down! :D

PostPosted: Fri July 14th, 2017, 17:59 GMT 
Mercury Member

I still see posts from harmonica Al now and then. They're few and far between but I see them.

He's always eloquent but he's very selective.

PostPosted: Fri July 14th, 2017, 18:14 GMT 
Promethium Member

dylanswife wrote:

Before or after he died?

PostPosted: Fri July 14th, 2017, 21:17 GMT 

It happened just like mojofilter said. A family member found him slouched over in his chair dead on a dylan forum with a smile on his face and then posted the experience. I think they ran his account for a while until someone said "I thought you were dead!"

PostPosted: Sun July 16th, 2017, 00:01 GMT 

That is so funny because EXACTLY the same thing happened to me last night. I fell over the computer drooling over a picture of Bob, and then I passed out, I dreamt that I came to the pearly gate, and St Peter was wondering a lot of things, and he asked me a lot of strange questions. He wasn't going to let me in, so then I got back into my body, and I woke up, and the computer fell on the floor, hurting my big toe, and then I woke up. I really thought I was dead though, and I looked at the clock and 3 hours and 40 minutes was just GONE.

This is what happens all the time to Bob Dylan supporters. Well we have to get used to it you see.

PostPosted: Sun July 16th, 2017, 02:06 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
Never mind Bob, Harmonica Al hasn't posted in ages. One of the most eloquent and insightful contributors to this great community.

Shame he's not a Dylan fan.

PostPosted: Sun July 16th, 2017, 11:06 GMT 

Hard Rain wrote:
That is so funny because EXACTLY the same thing happened to me last night. I fell over the computer drooling over a picture of Bob, and then I passed out, I dreamt that I came to the pearly gate, and St Peter was wondering a lot of things, and he asked me a lot of strange questions. He wasn't going to let me in, so then I got back into my body, and I woke up, and the computer fell on the floor, hurting my big toe, and then I woke up. I really thought I was dead though, and I looked at the clock and 3 hours and 40 minutes was just GONE.

This is what happens all the time to Bob Dylan supporters. Well we have to get used to it you see.

You sure it wasn't one of his recent shows you were at, and not your computer? :wink:

PostPosted: Wed August 2nd, 2017, 02:33 GMT 
Promethium Member

I came across this huge file of Harmonica Albert posts on my computer. I don't know from whence it came (probably from around here). I'll throw it up on sendspace: https://www.sendspace.com/file/xjkg2d

An excerpt:

7. At Budokan - mush. So many excuses are offered - too early in the tour, you
had to be there, other nights were better, blah blah blah, but the album just
doesn't hold up, was painful to listen to on release. Bob strains to update songs
that don't need it, can't really sing the ballads with plain piano / guitar backing,
and the band sounds both bloated and thin, quite an achievement in live
recording. Again with the saxophone. When they try to rock, like on Maggie's
Farm, it's pathetic, like watching a fat man try to pole vault.

If you don't know, he writes just as well when praising Bob Dylan, and on a variety of other subjects.

Come back, Albert!

PostPosted: Wed August 2nd, 2017, 05:03 GMT 

^ Thanks Smoke.
so many insightful comments from Al.
A long read coming up.............

PostPosted: Sat August 5th, 2017, 11:22 GMT 

Tim Finnegan wrote:
Hard Rain wrote:

You sure it wasn't one of his recent shows you were at, and not your computer? :wink:

I have been thinking about this since the 16th of July and I still don't know. It MIGHT have been at the concert? But I am not sure of anything concerning Bob? All I remember is the pain in my big toe.