Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue December 12th, 2017, 00:59 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed July 12th, 2017, 20:13 GMT 

Dan33185 wrote:
not recording "Love Is Just a Four Letter Word"

I´ve never heard this song and the fact that, if I´m not mistaken, Joan Baez recorded it, doesn´t do much to encourage me.
Also, the title puts me off. It kinda sucks, doesn´t it? Doesn´t sound like Bob at all...

PostPosted: Wed July 12th, 2017, 20:29 GMT 

My favourite live redemption of Love is just a four letter word.

:arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDFlTsbkSH4

I must have thought that there was nothing more absurd than that love is just a four letter word!

I love that song.

PostPosted: Wed July 12th, 2017, 20:41 GMT 

You can nitpick at this and that, but Dylan's catalog is so vast -- and we have been given SO much material from the vaults -- that I'm not going to go down the path of lost causes. Gun to my head from some lunatic who points guns at the heads of people and asks them to name their biggest Dylan disappointment, I would say I'm Cold, I guess. But if those songs exist, we may well still hear them, so even that is a somewhat limp answer.

PostPosted: Wed July 12th, 2017, 21:27 GMT 
Titanium Member

gibsona07 wrote:
That he never recorded Empire Burlesque with a basic rock band live in the studio. Would have been a half decent well received album, instead of an unmitigated disaster.

I'd love to hear the album recorded with Springsteen's guys he used for the BS take of When the Night Comes Falling

PostPosted: Wed July 12th, 2017, 22:13 GMT 
Promethium Member

Md23Rewls wrote:
Gun to my head from some lunatic who points guns at the heads of people and asks them to name their biggest Dylan disappointment

Hey, watch your language!!

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 00:03 GMT 

My vote would probably be failing to record a properly record a definitive version of Caribbean Wind, and consequently releasing a subpar Shot of Love album. For my money, that's the man's great lost masterpiece. Check out the potential sequence:

Shot Of Love
Heart Of Mine
Property of Jesus
Angelina
The Groom's Still Waiting At The Altar
You Changed My Life
Watered Down Love
Dead Man, Dead Man
In The Summertime
Caribbean Wind
Trouble
Every Grain of Sand

That's a stellar record.

Post subject: !!
PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 04:26 GMT 

Not releasing the Basement Tapes. Imagine this being released in 1968:

Side 1:
Goin' To Acapulco
I'm Alright
Please, Mrs. Henry
Open The Door, Homer
Crash The Levee (Down In The Flood)

Side 2:
Tears Of Rage
Nothing Was Delivered
I Shall Be Released
She's On My Mind Again
Quinn The Eskimo (The Mighty Quinn)

Side 3:
Yea! Heavy And A Bottle Of Bread
Too Much Of Nothing
You Ain't Goin' Nowhere
This Wheel's On Fire

Side 4:
I'm Not There
Santa Fe
Million Dollar Bash
Sign On The Cross

I think that this record released in 1968 would be considered the greatest Folk/Country record ever released and Bob's best album
I'm going to take it a step further and say that the album artwork is the Music From Big Pink album artwork. Maybe it could even be a triple record with Music From Big Pink included. That might be a little crazy considering just how good Music From Big Pink is and now that I think of it they could probably come up with an even better album cover.

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 04:37 GMT 

belleseb32 wrote:
My vote would probably be failing to record a properly record a definitive version of Caribbean Wind, and consequently releasing a subpar Shot of Love album. For my money, that's the man's great lost masterpiece. Check out the potential sequence:

Shot Of Love
Heart Of Mine
Property of Jesus
Angelina
You Changed My Life
Watered Down Love
Dead Man, Dead Man
In The Summertime
Caribbean Wind
Trouble
Every Grain of Sand

That's a stellar record.

Seeing as you've stretched it out to two records, you might as well fill in the spare space.

Shot of Love
Heart of Mine
Property of Jesus
Lenny Bruce

The Groom's Still Waiting at the Alter
Dead Man, Dead Man
Need a Woman
Watered-Down Love

Yonder Comes Sin
You Changed My Life
Angelina
In the Summertime

Caribbean Wind
Trouble
Every Grain of Sand

goodmeats wrote:

Side 1:
Goin' To Acapulco
I'm Alright
Please, Mrs. Henry
Open The Door, Homer

Side 2:
Tears Of Rage
Nothing Was Delivered
I Shall Be Released
She's On My Mind Again

Side 3:
Too Much Of Nothing
You Ain't Goin' Nowhere
This Wheel's On Fire

Side 4:
I'm Not There
Santa Fe
Million Dollar Bash
Sign On The Cross

I think that this record released in 1968 would be considered the greatest Folk/Country record ever released and Bob's best album
I'm going to take it a step further and say that the album artwork is the Music From Big Pink album artwork. Maybe it could even be a triple record with Music From Big Pink included. That might be a little crazy considering just how good Music From Big Pink is and now that I think of it they could probably come up with an even better album cover.

I totally agree; not releasing the Basement Tapes is the biggest tragedy of Dylan's recording career. What an earth-shattering release that would have been in-between Blonde on Blonde and John Wesley Harding. I love your double LP but you have some sides worth 12 minutes of music and others worth 19, I think it can fit some more gems or do with a re-sequencing.

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 10:46 GMT 

I'm not sure that I can think of a scenario where the word "tragedy" is appropriate. A fair argument can be made about Dylan's questionable choices regarding "Infidels" (and other albums) but the outtakes in question have since seen release. Same goes for concerts with the Grateful Dead and/or Joan Baez--is the "tragedy" that these performances were recorded, released, or or that these performances were simply performed?

Maybe I'm missing the point of the thread, but the plain meaning of the word "tragedy" would apply to a scenario such as the master tapes of "Blonde On Blonde" somehow being destroyed before anybody could hear them (or at least copy them) or Dylan getting hit by a bus and killed while traveling to the studio to record "Tangled Up In Blue".

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 12:03 GMT 

belleseb32 wrote:

Angelina
Caribbean Wind
Every Grain of Sand

Good EP.

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 12:23 GMT 

Hank wrote:
I'm not sure that I can think of a scenario where the word "tragedy" is appropriate. A fair argument can be made about Dylan's questionable choices regarding "Infidels" (and other albums) but the outtakes in question have since seen release. Same goes for concerts with the Grateful Dead and/or Joan Baez--is the "tragedy" that these performances were recorded, released, or or that these performances were simply performed?

Maybe I'm missing the point of the thread, but the plain meaning of the word "tragedy" would apply to a scenario such as the master tapes of "Blonde On Blonde" somehow being destroyed before anybody could hear them (or at least copy them) or Dylan getting hit by a bus and killed while traveling to the studio to record "Tangled Up In Blue".

This is the internet, tragedy's bar is set rather lower than the real world.

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 12:26 GMT 

belleseb32 wrote:

Shot Of Love
Heart Of Mine
Property of Jesus
Angelina
You Changed My Life
Watered Down Love
Dead Man, Dead Man
In The Summertime
Caribbean Wind
Trouble
Every Grain of Sand

That's a stellar record.

Agreed! Love these songs and Caribbean Wind is a masterpiece in waiting. Wouldnt it be wonderful if this upcoming Bootleg Series delivered a great version?! Throw in Yonder Comes Sin !

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 13:19 GMT 

probably a better word would be "travesty"

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 15:04 GMT 

monklover wrote:
probably a better word would be "travesty"

Sheesh, way to open up the choices.

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 16:10 GMT 

Hank wrote:

Yeah, my first thought was not recording & releasing Red River Shore, but then I realized he did record it, and it was released, and I've probably listened to Tell Tale Signs more than any record of the past 20 years (save L&T), so, yeah.

Post subject: Re: !!
PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 19:19 GMT 
Promethium Member

goodmeats wrote:

Side 1:
Goin' To Acapulco
I'm Alright
Please, Mrs. Henry
Open The Door, Homer

Side 2:
Tears Of Rage
Nothing Was Delivered
I Shall Be Released
She's On My Mind Again

Side 3:
Too Much Of Nothing
You Ain't Goin' Nowhere
This Wheel's On Fire

Side 4:
I'm Not There
Santa Fe
Million Dollar Bash
Sign On The Cross

As Mystic Garden said, we could probably squeeze a few more on there but, yes, what a record!! Unfortunately, if they had released it there would probably have no John Wesley Harding, and maybe no All Along The Watchtower at all!! Where would that leave song #3 for about 75 years of the NET?

It's quite the metaphysical conundrum.

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 20:18 GMT 

Infidels and Oh Mercy immediately come to mind for leaving off so much good stuff and leaving in a few crapy songs. That said, it made the bootleg series vol 1-3 that much better and one of my favourite albums.

PostPosted: Thu August 24th, 2017, 01:35 GMT 

Winter Lude wrote:
His biggest tragedy is his cocaine and alcohol use in the mid 80's. It left him a shell of what he once was with a voice that sounds like a broken down dump truck. At the time, it caused me to lose all interest in his new music. He would tour and I never went to see him because I couldn't stand how crappy he sounded. Unfortunately that's still the case.

I've read this theory before, someone years ago posted a thread on the official Dylan
site when it had a discussion board about the theory
that Dylan had been smoking crack cocaine when on tour in the mid/late 80s and
that this led to the burning of his vocal chords.
Bob did do drugs and drank a lot, but i think his voice just changed due to the touring
and age naturally changing his voice.
He sounded great in 1988 Winterlude so if you missed those shows then you missed
out big time. Also, he was singing brilliantly in 1994 and 1999/2000.
I think he can control how he sounds to an extent, that growly bark he adopted after
releasing Modern Times has now gone, mainly due to his crooning the songs from
the last three albums.
I love his voice, he's the best vocalist ever in my opinion, i don't mean range, i mean
the inflection in his delivery, true he doesn't always try, the Grateful Dead Stadium shows
in 1987 are a good example, and then the following year he was on fire with G.E Smith.
Also, the last show he played 'We Better Talk This Over' in Anaheim in 2000, he sounded
great, hit all the high notes, i always wondered why he didn't play it again after that,
sounded excellent and wasn't far off how he sounded on the Street Legal album.

PostPosted: Thu August 24th, 2017, 03:58 GMT 

Falling off or crashing a Triumph motorcycle in Woodstock.

Ramblin' Jack Elliot -- who gave the bike to Bob -- knew it had issues.

Now an unpaid servant of Dylan INC., Cowboy Jack is used as sextortion black-mail bait to thwart Dylan's enemies around the globe.

PostPosted: Thu August 24th, 2017, 04:34 GMT 
Titanium Member

^ That is a libelous post and should be deleted. People with less than a 1000 posts should be on probation.

PostPosted: Thu August 24th, 2017, 05:20 GMT 

Ain't Talkin' wrote:
^ That is a libelous post and should be deleted. People with less than a 1000 posts should be on probation.

And those with more than 1000 should be in a secure institution.

PostPosted: Thu August 24th, 2017, 06:33 GMT 

The real lowpoint of Bob was Down IN the groove and knocked out loaded, despite the flak aimed at Bob in recent years for recording christmas songs and then "Sinatra" songs.

PostPosted: Thu August 24th, 2017, 07:17 GMT 

When one reads some of the comments on here, one might be tempted to suggest the foundation of ER.

PostPosted: Thu August 24th, 2017, 11:05 GMT 

should have left "talkin john birch paranoid blues" on freewheelin
Caribbean wind as already mentioned
Its cold
the basement tapes not being released

PostPosted: Thu August 24th, 2017, 15:00 GMT 

I think my biggest disappointment with Bob's recording career is that despite remixes and remastering and whatever else they've done with Street Legal we still don't have a recording that shows off the songs to their full potential. He's made his share of duffo albums, I'd be the first to agree but Street Legal could have been a whole lot better if the production was better in the first place.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next