Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun July 22nd, 2018, 08:23 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Thu July 20th, 2017, 07:11 GMT 

goodmeats wrote:
His first album was pretty religious

That's quite true. I've often wondered why such a young man would introduce himself to the wider world via an album with a primary theme of 'Death', and from a mostly Christian viewpoint long before his future conversion. And it was quite deliberate. Did he not choose for his eponymous debut an album of songs that he had not been concurrently performing in concert?

PostPosted: Thu July 20th, 2017, 13:45 GMT 

Mickvet wrote:
goodmeats wrote:
His first album was pretty religious

That's quite true. I've often wondered why such a young man would introduce himself to the wider world via an album with a primary theme of 'Death', and from a mostly Christian viewpoint long before his future conversion. And it was quite deliberate. Did he not choose for his eponymous debut an album of songs that he had not been concurrently performing in concert?

That's the story, although I don't know exactly how much truth there is to it. I read somewhere that he wanted to make a big splash with the debut album, so he essentially cherry-picked the repertoire of other folk singers he knew at the time to create a best-of. But in general they weren't songs he'd been performing. Again, I don't know how much truth there is to this anecdote. Doesn't seem like the whole story to me!

PostPosted: Thu July 20th, 2017, 17:30 GMT 
Mercury Member

I guess we've drifted a bit from the main point of the thread, but for what it's worth to understand the first album one needs to look at the entire sessions, not just what was released on the album. I kinda doubt he had complete control over what was, or wasn't, included... though as CBS were dealing with a 'phenomenon' (and one that didn't actually sell very well at that time) they may have given him more leeway than the average artist just because they didn't know what to do with 'Hammond's folly'.

They did run a simultaneous campaign, complete with cardboard cut-outs, trying to sell 'Dylan Hats' as seen on the cover....

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 05:18 GMT 

Pure and utter speculation.

Mojo says of the Trouble No More film:

Trouble No More: A Musical Film, directed by Jennifer Lebeau, has been selected to premiere at the prestigious 2017 New York Film Festival. We’ll tell you more about this when we’re allowed. Let’s just say that, as curveballs go, it’s Dylan-sized.

http://www.mojo4music.com/25761/bob-dylan-bootleg-13-trouble-no-more-gospel-years/

Possibility, perhaps, that Dylan recorded something extra at the Ardmore studios? Just me thinking aloud--I know it's a long shot.

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 08:21 GMT 

Foggy wrote:
Pure and utter speculation.

Mojo says of the Trouble No More film:

Trouble No More: A Musical Film, directed by Jennifer Lebeau, has been selected to premiere at the prestigious 2017 New York Film Festival. We’ll tell you more about this when we’re allowed. Let’s just say that, as curveballs go, it’s Dylan-sized.

http://www.mojo4music.com/25761/bob-dylan-bootleg-13-trouble-no-more-gospel-years/

Possibility, perhaps, that Dylan recorded something extra at the Ardmore studios? Just me thinking aloud--I know it's a long shot.

It also says the film features "extraordinary live footage from 1980 intercut with new dramatic material written by Luc Sante and performed by Academy Award nominated actor Michael Shannon." No mention of newly recorded Dylan parts. So far Dylan has never gotten actively involved with the Bootleg Series releases (at least not in a way that was documented) and certainly has never added new recordings to go with the archive material. The Ardmore sessions must have been recorded for another project.

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 09:50 GMT 

And it's bugging the s*** out of me as to what that project is...

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 11:54 GMT 

Definitely not related to the Gospel documentary... these sessions were directed by John Hillcoat.

It's bugging me too, Judas. It doesn't seem to be a session of recordings for an album (Bob would surely not allow a film crew to infiltrate that), but perhaps the filming of a promotional video or bonus DVD for an album that was recorded at an earlier date, or perhaps for a live album/DVD release.

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 14:32 GMT 
Promethium Member

I'm beginning to seriously suspect a Christmas tv special.

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 14:36 GMT 
Promethium Member

Maybe along these lines:

http://nypost.com/2015/12/01/bill-murra ... oliday-tv/

PostPosted: Sat September 23rd, 2017, 15:41 GMT 

smoke wrote:
I'm beginning to seriously suspect a Christmas tv special.

Haha!! Dylan performing Christmas carols on tape would be a dream come true, but perhaps is too good to be true.

He did share that Roland James Christmas story recently — perhaps a hint at what's to come.

edit: Saying this now in case I'm right: Mark my words, this will be a performance video of gospel songs, and one of those songs will be - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LentzBblyQ

PostPosted: Thu April 12th, 2018, 04:14 GMT 

Did Don Was co-produce these sessions?

Any news, rumors, or big lies said about them since September 2017?

PostPosted: Thu April 12th, 2018, 15:29 GMT 

Impressive. The Ardmore Sessions happened ten months ago and we still don't even know a single song title.

Even the President of the United States could learn a thing or two from Dylan Inc. about keeping secrets.

PostPosted: Sat April 14th, 2018, 13:56 GMT 

3 whole days of recording/filming..there has to be treasure in there.

PostPosted: Sat April 14th, 2018, 14:20 GMT 

MrJudasPriest wrote:
3 whole days of recording/filming..there has to be treasure in there.

It's all being saved for the 2091 "Extremely Slow Train Coming: 100 Years of the Bootleg Series" special collectors edition.

PostPosted: Sat April 14th, 2018, 20:11 GMT 
Promethium Member

A Million Faces wrote:
Impressive. The Ardmore Sessions happened ten months ago and we still don't even know a single song title.

Even the President of the United States could learn a thing or two from Dylan Inc. about keeping secrets.

I know.
We still only have one Summer date so far too.
Dylan, Inc. is wrapped tighter than a drum.

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2018, 02:09 GMT 

Down the years Dylan has appeared to drop hints about his musical path either on record or in concert. His first few albums chart a very rapid change in style which sometimes seemed to occur on a particular album. He is also capable of sudden changes in direction, nobody expected JWH after Blonde on Blonde. At the conclusion of JWH he included two country influenced tunes which seemed to signpost Nashville Skyline.

In '78 at Earls Court on a couple of evenings the band took stage without Dylan and played what was a previously unheard instrumental, which later appeared as Slow Train Coming on the album of that name.

It occurred to me (probably incorrectly) that Stu's noodling of 'The Foggy Dew' and 'Wild Mountain Thyme' might hint at a future recording, which might be associated with the 3 days spent at Ardmore studios. The Clancy Bros and various Irish, Scottish and English folk artists and folk songs are a very large part of the bedrock of Dylan's music. Bono said that Dylan knows more Irish songs than he does. Personally I would love to hear him tackle the tunes mentioned above and others like 'Roving Blade' and 'Female Rambling Sailor'.

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2018, 02:30 GMT 
Promethium Member

Cool theory Huck and good imagination.
Just about any direction away from the Standard Phase is most welcome.

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2018, 02:44 GMT 

Huck27 wrote:
Down the years Dylan has appeared to drop hints about his musical path either on record or in concert. His first few albums chart a very rapid change in style which sometimes seemed to occur on a particular album. He is also capable of sudden changes in direction, nobody expected JWH after Blonde on Blonde. At the conclusion of JWH he included two country influenced tunes which seemed to signpost Nashville Skyline.

In '78 at Earls Court on a couple of evenings the band took stage without Dylan and played what was a previously unheard instrumental, which later appeared as Slow Train Coming on the album of that name.

It occurred to me (probably incorrectly) that Stu's noodling of 'The Foggy Dew' and 'Wild Mountain Thyme' might hint at a future recording, which might be associated with the 3 days spent at Ardmore studios. The Clancy Bros and various Irish, Scottish and English folk artists and folk songs are a very large part of the bedrock of Dylan's music. Bono said that Dylan knows more Irish songs than he does. Personally I would love to hear him tackle the tunes mentioned above and others like 'Roving Blade' and 'Female Rambling Sailor'.

As a huge folk music fan, particularly Irish folk, I love your theory. Hope you’re onto something here!

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2018, 03:13 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Cool theory Huck and good imagination.
Just about any direction away from the Standard Phase is most welcome.

Charlie said that Dylan has a reason for all of his actions, and nothing is done by chance. Stu has been noodling away at 'The Foggy Dew' etc for four years or more, presumably following Bob's instructions.

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2018, 15:10 GMT 
Promethium Member

Huck27 wrote:
Charlie said that Dylan has a reason for all of his actions, and nothing is done by chance. Stu has been noodling away at 'The Foggy Dew' etc for four years or more, presumably following Bob's instructions.

But what else could he say? "Stu just goes out and strums his guitar 'cause Bob doesn't have a clue what we're doing?" That wouldn't go over very well.

Every note and gesture of the Never Ending Tour is laden heavy with hidden meaning. It is up to us to discover the message therein.

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2018, 19:51 GMT 

Location: Well I'm already there in my mind and that's good enough for now
Huck27 wrote:

Oh think I´m beginning to feel Irie!

PostPosted: Mon April 30th, 2018, 07:09 GMT 

Maybe they shot the video for this Heaven's Door whiskey commercial.

If we're lucky along with a new version of Moonshiner

PostPosted: Mon April 30th, 2018, 19:49 GMT 

Oh man. Old Irish folk songs? I think my soul just left my body. Please let this be so.

PostPosted: Tue May 1st, 2018, 11:29 GMT 
Promethium Member

h.egbert wrote:
Maybe they shot the video for this Heaven's Door whiskey commercial.

That’s a cool thought.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8