Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue October 24th, 2017, 09:34 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nobel Prize Lecture
PostPosted: Wed June 21st, 2017, 21:12 GMT 

Hard Rain wrote:

Interestingly enough the whole world is spinnin' upwards to higher consciousness I believe. That is nothing I can prove, It's just somethin' in the air. Humans are not meant to fight constant wars. We are here for much higher and nobler reasons.

:D

I hope you're right but with people bombing teenage girls and driving trucks into pedestrians, I'm a little skeptical of your optimism. Again, I hope you are right.

PostPosted: Thu June 22nd, 2017, 03:34 GMT 
Promethium Member

I've got to agree. It seems our propensity for war, tribalism, bloodlust, greed etc. is showing no sign of waning. Things actually seem to be getting worse, in fact.

PostPosted: Sat June 24th, 2017, 04:45 GMT 

charlesdarwin wrote:
McG wrote:
Posts like yours just come across as fanboys getting upset cos their lover's been slighted. Simple as that really - dress it up how you like but if the odd raised eyebrow at ModBob's bizarre behaviour gets you bent out of shape, maybe it's time you took a reality check. Do you really think this would be a better forum if nobody got even the slightest bit agitated? How precious and how ironic given the bloke you're devoted to.

I think you're being a tad disingenuous there because it isn’t the odd raised eyebrow at Dylan’s conduct is it?. It’s post after post disparaging Dylan at every opportunity, five, six, seven times a day; day after day. It is difficult to understand how you consider that kind of behaviour to be any more rational, proportionate or any less obsessive than the activities of other members of this Bob Dylan site who you are so quick to sneer at.

Okay, I can take it you are genuinely concerned about the provenance of passages in Dylan’s Nobel Lecture, it’s not the end of the world though, and unless you show a bit of restraint in how (and how many times) you express your concern it just looks as if you’re using any stick you can find to beat Dylan, for example is it necessary to recycle a weak joke you’ve already used twice this week? Okay, I appreciate you don’t like Triplicate, and that's no big deal, but why is your post count in the Triplicate threads higher by some orders of magnitude than anybody else who has posted there? It would be fine if you' bothered to say anything valid or interesting or nuanced about the album, or even if there was any variety in all your posts, but no, it’s just the same old jokes at Dylan’s expense and the same tedious digs at the forum and its contributors.

The reality is that the real world is big enough and diverse enough to contain a Dylan site like Expecting Rain where people can come to find out about recent developments in the Dylan world and where they can discuss those developments and the past events in his long career with other similarly interested people. We don’t need to reality check that, to be sure, a lot of different people post lots of different things on this site and have many enjoyable and illuminating discussions, all it takes is a bit of good faith and, maybe, a bit of consideration for others. Despite your self-righteous protestations that you love some of his work it obviously annoys you this site persists after you’ve grown disenchanted with so many aspects of Bob Dylan. The impression I get is that you’d rather see post 1976 Dylan (metaphorically) paralysed, why can’t you see that feeling justified in coming out to Expecting Rain six or seven times a day to scream it is more than a little selfish, weird and disruptive?

The old post count. Hahaha. Perhaps he's responding to others' comments which would obviously raise his post count. Just like others adhere to their opinions of admiration of the lecture, others adhere to the contrary. It upsets you and you use the same vernacular time and time again. Post count you hate Bob Dylan, bad for ER, posts don't contribute to a discussion. You twist the most lighthearted of exchanges between people that are inoffensive and use them against people. You did it to me with regards to a jovial exchange with Carnap. People defend their positions. It raises their post count regardless of what type of comment it is. Unfortunately, such a well spoken man somehow cannot fathom that.
I don't think any of us wish to see anyone paralyzed. Your Dylan lift was much too trite. You claim this is a site to read and discuss what is happening in Dylan's career. Well, take a look at the internet and what it's been recently posting about Dylan's lecture. The current topic is plagiarism.

PostPosted: Sat June 24th, 2017, 20:23 GMT 

viewtopic.php?f=38&p=1758844#p1758844
Fred@Dreamtime wrote:

"I’m not interested in the “Bob Dylan is a plagiarist” angle at all.
There’s nothing more boring."

PostPosted: Sat June 24th, 2017, 21:00 GMT 
Mercury Member

juststepintothearena wrote:
http://www.expectingrain.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=38&p=1758844#p1758844
Fred@Dreamtime wrote:

"I’m not interested in the “Bob Dylan is a plagiarist” angle at all.
There’s nothing more boring."

This was a good read. Gave me a different look at SW's work. That said i am glad i am in the don't care where he got it group..

PostPosted: Sat June 24th, 2017, 21:36 GMT 
Promethium Member

Lily Rose wrote:
... i am glad i am in the don't care where he got it group..

Me too, Rose.

PostPosted: Sat June 24th, 2017, 22:32 GMT 

And me

moab

PostPosted: Tue June 27th, 2017, 21:19 GMT 

i don't lack a curiosity about it,
especially since the work of finding it
is already being done,
and being done double-time,
i find the whole phenomenon fascinating

PostPosted: Wed June 28th, 2017, 02:21 GMT 

This is an intellectual "Bob went electric" moment, but that is not grasped yet.

Vintage Dylan.

PostPosted: Wed June 28th, 2017, 04:19 GMT 

chrome horse wrote:
This is an intellectual "Bob went electric" moment, but that is not grasped yet.

Vintage Dylan.

OR Bob didn't really give a shit, had an intellectual theft moment, and mailed in the lecture. Vintage Dylan.

PostPosted: Wed June 28th, 2017, 05:02 GMT 
Titanium Member

yopietro wrote:
chrome horse wrote:

Vintage Dylan.

OR Bob didn't really give a shit, had an intellectual theft moment, and mailed in the lecture. Vintage Dylan.

:lol: except that no one can do it like bob.

you try being an enigma for fifty years, his greatest lesson.

we, as they say, are f'ed. thank you sir.

PostPosted: Wed June 28th, 2017, 13:00 GMT 

yopietro wrote:
chrome horse wrote:

Vintage Dylan.

Sort of. You think he didn't know his every word would be searched for sources? I think the only question is did he do it as weird way to get even more publicity or to challenge the literary world to his style - in the
highest literary peak in the business? My guess is the latter. He knows his own words and music have no peer, and justify every award he has ever won. And the speech was just that, a speech. He throws in some bulk filler here and there - so what?

And his comment on the complainers couldn't clearer - he hopes they "rot in Hell".

PostPosted: Wed June 28th, 2017, 13:47 GMT 
Promethium Member

I'm not sure he's as arrogant as all that...but I do agree he surely knew his thefts would be discovered, and quickly. It's been part of his modus operandi for some years now. This was an important moment for him, and I think he rose to the challenge admirably even if he does eventually conclude that songs are unlike literature.

I also think it's key that he said he didn't only have his mastery of the folk lexicon but a worldview shaped by his mid-century, mid-west American education to propel him. Such lengthy perspective does make one think about one's own place, and the chance elements that shape us all. The admonition comparing the land of the living to the land of the dead sticks, too, and his placement of his songs (of all songs that are still sung) in the former has a kind of ringing purity to it that the young man who wrote Hard Rain would surely recognize.

Bravo Bob Dylan, and congrats!

PostPosted: Wed June 28th, 2017, 20:26 GMT 

smoke wrote:
I'm not sure he's as arrogant as all that...but I do agree he surely knew his thefts would be discovered, and quickly. It's been part of his modus operandi for some years now.

But a question arises: Why? Because he ain't capable to produce anything original anymore?

PostPosted: Wed June 28th, 2017, 22:03 GMT 

Futile Horn wrote:

But a question arises: Why? Because he ain't capable to produce anything original anymore?

The answer to your question - you don't get it. The lecture is not a published work like a song. It was simply a requirement to get a million dollars. There is plenty of "original" Bob Dylan writing in it - which apparently is beyond your visionary abilities. His original prose writing, and he puts out a lot of it, is fantastic, just like his songs. Being 76, he is probably somewhat burnt out and lazy - who wouldn't be after a long career like his? He has a way with words, prose or poems, which is instantly recognizable and unique - it's why he is who he is. Equally important, he achieved worldwide fame when he was 21 - think about that. He has nothing to prove now, nobody to impress - he's done it all, and then some. Many insatiable fans continually cry out - "we want more new 60's type stuff!". Sorry - he already gave.

PostPosted: Wed June 28th, 2017, 22:14 GMT 

Futile Horn wrote:
But a question arises

only one question?

and this:
Futile Horn wrote:
Why? Because he ain't capable to produce anything original anymore?
is as far as you can see into it?

and what's "original" anyway?

PostPosted: Wed June 28th, 2017, 23:18 GMT 
Promethium Member

Futile Horn wrote:
smoke wrote:
I'm not sure he's as arrogant as all that...but I do agree he surely knew his thefts would be discovered, and quickly. It's been part of his modus operandi for some years now.

When Dylan was asked if that line about his mother in Lonesome Day Blues was about his actual mother, I think Dylan said something like he didn't know what else it could be. I suspect this is a similar situation, which doesn't mean there isn't room for original ideas and genuine expression. I can't imagine anyone arguing, on the basis of the evidence, that original lines flow out of him like they used to and he simply chooses not to use them. It's what he DOES that matters, and for my money he does plenty.

PostPosted: Thu June 29th, 2017, 11:30 GMT 

Ah but bob says so many things you know.....

PostPosted: Mon July 10th, 2017, 08:21 GMT 

Can anybody tell me the 3 books Bob mention with their german titel, please ???

I know it´s Moby Dick, then Odysseus and what was the third one in german ???

PostPosted: Mon July 10th, 2017, 08:58 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Im Westen nichts Neues by Erich Maria Remarque, it was written in German, the title that was given to the English translation is All Quiet on the Western Front.

PostPosted: Mon July 10th, 2017, 13:28 GMT 

Thanks for the answer, Mr. Darwin.

Last week I bought Moby Dick and Ulysses so my next book will be Im Westen nichts Neues.

:D

PostPosted: Mon July 10th, 2017, 20:41 GMT 

smoke wrote:
When Dylan was asked if that line about his mother in Lonesome Day Blues was about his actual mother, I think Dylan said something like he didn't know what else it could be. I suspect this is a similar situation, which doesn't mean there isn't room for original ideas and genuine expression. I can't imagine anyone arguing, on the basis of the evidence, that original lines flow out of him like they used to and he simply chooses not to use them. It's what he DOES that matters, and for my money he does plenty.

When was he asked this? You have a link? I thought the same thing when I heard it. One of his last original lines. Bob shouldn't be allowed to use the internet, all he does is steal other peoples words!

PostPosted: Tue July 11th, 2017, 01:57 GMT 

boo
https://giphy.com/gifs/bob-dylan-boo-BnMxOs3SrH3na

PostPosted: Tue July 11th, 2017, 02:16 GMT 
Promethium Member

dylanswife wrote:
smoke wrote:

When was he asked this? You have a link? I thought the same thing when I heard it. One of his last original lines. Bob shouldn't be allowed to use the internet, all he does is steal other peoples words!

It's on the Rome 2001 interview, this link appears to be good: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=87319&hilit=rome+interview

(thanks kuddukan!)

I think he's had original lines since then, I just wouldn't hazard a guess as to which ones :)

PostPosted: Tue July 11th, 2017, 02:22 GMT 
Promethium Member

Looks to be on YouTube also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7MMfU-_bv4

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next