Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri November 17th, 2017, 19:40 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue October 10th, 2017, 16:29 GMT 

I found it amusing that anyone who uses the phrase ‘errant nonsense’ should be allowed out at night.

PostPosted: Tue October 10th, 2017, 16:33 GMT 

Rodin wrote:
I found it amusing that anyone who uses the phrase ‘errant nonsense’ should be allowed out at night.
Perhaps he's a night arrant.

PostPosted: Tue October 10th, 2017, 16:39 GMT 

I bet he wears a velvet cape and uses a cigarette holder.

PostPosted: Wed October 11th, 2017, 21:41 GMT 

errant nonsense/hokum/nonsense on stilts/b*llocks

take your pick my friends

PostPosted: Fri October 27th, 2017, 16:19 GMT 

I apologize if there's another thread, I didn't see it but -
I received the Soundtrack CD last night and...

I'm disappointed. But not surprised.

I was looking forward to this (more so than the gospel package) and maybe there's more context in the live show, but...
As an album of "covers" it's got some nice ideas but I am so so so tired of Dylan covers being done in this dirge-like self serious style.

I've only gone through the disc twice, and I intend to give a another few plays.
But I can't think of a single upbeat tune on the album.

PostPosted: Fri October 27th, 2017, 18:11 GMT 

HunterRose wrote:
I received the Soundtrack CD last night and...

I'm disappointed. But not surprised.

I was looking forward to this (more so than the gospel package) and maybe there's more context in the live show, but...
As an album of "covers" it's got some nice ideas but I am so so so tired of Dylan covers being done in this dirge-like self serious style. ...

So I assume you did not see them performing these songs live yourself.
As this is not simply an album of "covers", but a cast recording of the songs performed during the play, I would understand it is harder to enjoy this disc without the context.

I flew to London eight weeks ago to see the play for myself at The Old Vic (after reading the script two weeks earlier in one sitting), and I enjoyed the performances of these actors very very much, both regarding the play and the songs.

I also received the disc this week, and listened to it several times. I am not disappointed, as the songs are performed like in the play, very well recorded, some tracks I might like more than others for repeated listening, but I am glad they did this cast recording.

PostPosted: Fri October 27th, 2017, 22:12 GMT 

I finally got my copy from Amazon. I think the music is amazing, even though I did not see the play. It is a very well done piece of work that serves to rekindle lyrics, which I have heard many times before.

Truly beautiful!

PostPosted: Sun October 29th, 2017, 22:33 GMT 

I understand that it is a play. I've listened to many cast albums prior to seeing a show. Like I said, I was really looking forward to this. I posted in THIS thread. I understand context.

Sadly I won't make it to London to see the show. And I'm sure that context adds something (like always). But most cast recordings can stand on their own to some extent as well.

But even after a few more listens, (and I've discovered that the pacing does pickup, albeit briefly, ion a few songs) I still find myself enjoying the idea of the album more than any of the songs themselves.

Often when listening to a Cast recording of a musical, you can begin to piece together the stor of the play. The songs may not be 100% but they'll give you the big character and plot moments.

One thing I'm interested in seeing is how the show actually works with the plain random stuff the actors are singing. I've read enough reviews to know that the songs aren't literal in any way.

So far my favorite track is the LARS/Wantyou mashup. I just wish it was developed more. It ends right as I'm getting invested.