Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue November 21st, 2017, 19:09 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu August 10th, 2017, 22:57 GMT 

juststepintothearena wrote:
what's security like?
a little bit of bootleg is impossible?

would be very easy. in theory there is no photography, but even that wold be easy to circumvent.

PostPosted: Fri August 11th, 2017, 02:48 GMT 

The Bard wrote:
juststepintothearena wrote:

a little bit of bootleg is impossible?

would be very easy.

but i feel like i should add
(after all the hoo-ha of late)
always remember to be cool

PostPosted: Fri August 25th, 2017, 10:55 GMT 

Haven't seen Girl From the North Country yet, but I went to see Hamlet last night at the Harold Pinter Theatre.

The production was great and the acting excellent but my favourite part was the sound track - it's exclusively Dylan songs!

They really worked well, stylistically with what was going on and a lot of the lyrics tied in with what was going on on stage at the time - especially Spirit on the Water (I guess when you've got 500+ Dylan songs to choose from, you'll be able to find some appropriate lyrics)

From what I can remember, these are the songs they're using.

One More Cup of Coffee
Spirit on the Water
Up to Me
One Too Many Mornings
Tryin' to Get to Heaven
All Along the Watchtower
Not Dark Yet

Thought it was interesting that there are two plays featuring Dylan tracks on at the minute. Hoping to go see the other one, soon and would thoroughly recommend Hamlet

PostPosted: Fri August 25th, 2017, 11:49 GMT 

I was back in London for 10 days and was lucky enough to see both GFTNC and Hamlet.

The former was excellent, not least because the choice of songs was creative and, except for Hurricane, parallel to the plot, rather than literal. The songs added to the plot and the plot added to the songs.

Hamlet, on the other hand, was disappointing to me. The songs were rather crassly chosen and didn't really add anything. "Up To Me" after Hamlet has seen his father's ghost? Not Dark Yet at the end? Really ? A little too easy for my taste.

Interesting that they are both on at the same time though. Hamlet doesn't feature the use of Bob Dylan music anywhere in the marketing as far as I know - also interesting.

PostPosted: Wed August 30th, 2017, 14:17 GMT 

https://www.oldvictheatre.com/news/2017/08/the-girl-from-the-north-country-cast-recording

Conor McPherson’s critically-acclaimed Girl from the North Country has been captivating audiences and critics since it opened here at The Old Vic in July. Simon Hale’s arrangements of Bob Dylan’s classic and lesser-known songs have been hailed as ‘ravishing’ and today we are incredibly excited to join Sony Music Entertainment in announcing the release of the Official London Cast Recording.

Featuring music and lyrics by Bob Dylan, the album was recorded at the iconic Abbey Road Studios and will be available to buy, download and stream on 29 Sep 2017.

‘I’m so delighted the brilliant talent of our cast will be captured at Abbey Road Studios. It’s been an honour working with them on Bob Dylan’s incredible songs. The reaction from audiences every night and the clamour for a recording has been overwhelming and is a true testament to their stunning voices.’
Conor McPherson

Girl from the North Country features songs from every period of Bob Dylan’s catalogue with new musical arrangements by Simon Hale.

TRACK LISTING

1. Sign On the Window - Karl Queensborough / Bronagh Gallagher / Kirsty Malpass
2. Went to See the Gypsy - Debbie Kurup / Original London Cast of Girl From The North Country
3. Tight Connection to My Heart - Sheila Atim / Original London Cast of Girl From The North Country
4. Slow Train Coming/License to Kill - Michael Shaeffer / Arinzc Kene / Debbie Kurup
5. Ballad of a Thin Man (Instrumental) - Scarecrow Hat
6. I Want You - Sam Reid / Claudia Jolly
7. Blind Willie McTell - Scarecrow Hat
8. Like a Rolling Stone/To Make You Feel My Love - Shirley Henderson / Debbie Kurup / Kirsty Malpass
9. Like a Rolling Stone (Reprise)/I Want You - Shirley Henderson / Original London Cast of Girl From The North Country
10. You Ain't Goin' Nowhere/Jokerman - Karl Queensborough / Claudia Jolly / Tom Peters
11. Sweetheart Like You/True Love Tends to Forget - Bronagh Gallagher / Debbie Kurup / Original London Cast of Girl From The North Country
12. Girl from the North Country - Kirsty Malpass / Original London Cast of Girl From The North Country
13. Hurricane/All Along the Watchtower/Idiot Wind - Arinzc Kene / Sheila Atim / Original London Cast of Girl From The North Country
14. Lay Down Your Weary Tune (Instrumental) - Scarecrow Hat
15. Duquesne Whistle/Señor (Tales of Yankee Power)/Is Your Love In Vain?/License to Kill - Jack Shalloo / Claudia Jolly / Michael Shaeffer
16. Tight Connection to My Heart (Underscore/Reprise) - Scarecrow Hat / Sheila Atim
17. Lay Lady Lay (Instrumental)/Jokerman (Reprise)/Clair De Lune - Scarecrow Hat / Sheila Atim / Bronagh Gallagher
18. Forever Young - Shirley Henderson / Original London Cast of Girl From The North Country
19. My Back Pages - Scarecrow Hat

Full cast for Girl from the North Country featured on the album includes: Sheila Atim (Marianne Laine), Ron Cook (Doctor Walker), Bronagh Gallagher (Mrs Burke), Shirley Henderson (Elizabeth Laine), Ciarán Hinds (Nick Laine), Claudia Jolly (Katherine Draper), Arinzé Kene (Joe Scott), Debbie Kurup (Mrs Neilsen), Kirsty Malpass (Ensemble), Jim Norton (Mr Perry), Tom Peters (Ensemble), Karl Queensborough (Ensemble), Sam Reid (Gene Laine), Michael Shaeffer (Reverend Marlowe), Jack Shalloo (Elias Burke), and Stanley Townsend (Mr Burke).

Musicians include: Alan Berry (piano and harmonium), Charlie Brown (violin and mandolin), Pete Callard (resonator and acoustic guitar) and Don Richardson (bass).

PostPosted: Thu August 31st, 2017, 12:37 GMT 

Great news about the cast recording. I was somewhat ambivalent on the play, but the song performances were uniformly excellent.

PostPosted: Sun September 3rd, 2017, 22:35 GMT 

Peter V wrote:
The play is 2 hours 10 minutes plus a 20 minute interval. That’s on the short side of average for London theatre, and it flies by. Unusually Act One is 10 minutes shorter than Act Two. The interest is that it’s NOT a musical. As to the quality of the play, I review plays 50 plus times a year, and I list “What The Critics Said” on nearly every one … scroll to the bottom of my review: https://peterviney.wordpress.com/stage/girl-from-the-north-country/
The seven prestige reviews are Guardian, Independent, Observer, Times … all five stars. Then Sunday Times, Daily Mail four stars. Telegraph three stars. That’s theatre critics, not music critics. I can assure you that gaining so many five star reviews from the quality newspapers is very rare (OK, maybe the Daily Mail doesn’t count as “quality” but Quentin Letts is an astute reviewer). My point is that to the theatre critics listed, Conor McPherson has written and directed a very good play.

Didn't want to make You angry :wink: Just my opinion based in my feelings when I saw it.

PostPosted: Mon September 4th, 2017, 02:11 GMT 

I'm curious about this insistence that it's not a musical. Is it because if it's a musical, it can't be a serious play? That idea went extinct a long time ago. (Is South Pacific not a musical? West Side Story? Cabaret?) It's a play that features songs through which the characters express their feelings. That's pretty much the definition of a musical, even if it doesn't have any dancing cowboys or giant shoes. Seriously, what else would you call it? A revue, like Side by Side by Sondheim An opera, like Street Scene? You tell me.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 20:09 GMT 

Location: I've just reached a place where the willow don't bend...
Seeing the play on Saturday - and super excited - however I'm just wondering if you can purchase the cast recording/posters etc.? - I presume they'll have programmes too.

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 22:16 GMT 

Programmes available at the theatre and I think you can also buy a transcript of the play. I'm going for the third time next Wednesday. The whole thing was much tighter than when I saw a preview...it's joyous!

Chris

PostPosted: Thu September 21st, 2017, 23:05 GMT 

ChrisG wrote:
Programmes available at the theatre and I think you can also buy a transcript of the play. I'm going for the third time next Wednesday. The whole thing was much tighter than when I saw a preview...it's joyous!

Chris

Great, thanks, Chris - do you know, by chance how much the programmes/transcripts were? I imagine I'll be picking a few up for interested pals who couldn't get tickets. :o

PostPosted: Fri September 22nd, 2017, 09:21 GMT 

The programme was 4 quid I think, not sure about the script. One thing I noticed was that nowhere, not even in the small print, are Robert Hunter or Jacques Levy credited for their lyrical contributions.

PostPosted: Sun September 24th, 2017, 16:10 GMT 

Saw the matinee yesterday - I thought it was tremendous.

I was slightly worried about how the songs were going to be performed in a 'non-musical' type fashion, but it was flawless. It's reminded me that I need to re-listen to Street Legal and Infidels again!

Ciaran Hinds and Shirley Henderson were superb, and the usually Bob-suffering wife really enjoyed it too.

Great to see a packed house and some fellow young-ish people there too.

PostPosted: Sun September 24th, 2017, 18:04 GMT 

Glad you enjoyed it, I confess to being quite tearful during the curtain call!

Apologies for not getting back to you re the programme costs etc.

I hope that it does well when it transfers to the USA.

Chris

PostPosted: Tue September 26th, 2017, 11:23 GMT 

Hibbing91 wrote:
Saw the matinee yesterday - I thought it was tremendous.

I was slightly worried about how the songs were going to be performed in a 'non-musical' type fashion, but it was flawless. It's reminded me that I need to re-listen to Street Legal and Infidels again!

Ciaran Hinds and Shirley Henderson were superb, and the usually Bob-suffering wife really enjoyed it too.

Great to see a packed house and some fellow young-ish people there too.

Agree on all counts. When I saw the list of songs I wondered how they were going to work but actually it was very clever and the Street Legal and Infidels songs were the emotional core of the production. To hear Is Your Love in Vain sung by a woman got rid of a lot of the sexism crap and the dramatic quality of the song really came across.

Apparently it's completely sold out except for returns at 10am on the day. Deservedly so.

PostPosted: Tue September 26th, 2017, 18:46 GMT 

You couldn't pay me to watch this sentimental tosh. Man, alive. "Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?"

PostPosted: Fri September 29th, 2017, 13:05 GMT 

How do I legally buy this soundtrack in the US? Geez...

PostPosted: Fri September 29th, 2017, 13:24 GMT 

TimeandTempo wrote:

Any good?

https://www.amazon.com/North-Country-L- ... th+country

PostPosted: Fri September 29th, 2017, 13:25 GMT 

Somebody Naked wrote:
TimeandTempo wrote:

Any good?

https://www.amazon.com/North-Country-L- ... th+country

Sorry, should've specified DIGITALLY. I want to listen today. Call me impatient, just weird that it is country specific.

PostPosted: Fri September 29th, 2017, 21:58 GMT 

Yeah, sorry. There seems to be a seven day delay for the US. If it's any consolation, I've decided after two listens today that it couldn't possibly replicate the joy of seeing it; and then that it was actually rather good.

PostPosted: Sat September 30th, 2017, 15:28 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
You couldn't pay me to watch this sentimental tosh. Man, alive. "Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?"

'Sentimental' seems a weirdly specific criticism of a show you refuse to see. What makes you think it's sentimental? Or are you just arrogantly dismissing it as such based on the fact it's a musical? There are plenty of musicals which are about as far from sentimental as you can get (although most contain at least a degree of honest sentiment, which is not the same thing at all) .

PostPosted: Tue October 10th, 2017, 03:12 GMT 

Did anyone purchase the soundtrack? I pre-ordered from Amazon US and the item went from 'shipping soon' to 'we have no idea when we will have the item.'

I am very disappointed in Amazon, but more so I would like to know what people think of the soundtrack disc. Anyone?

PostPosted: Tue October 10th, 2017, 08:02 GMT 

Jelly Roll wrote:
Did anyone purchase the soundtrack? I pre-ordered from Amazon US and the item went from 'shipping soon' to 'we have no idea when we will have the item.'

I am very disappointed in Amazon, but more so I would like to know what people think of the soundtrack disc. Anyone?

I'm enjoying it. As with the show itself, the strongest bits are the songs that don't sound like they're from a conventional musical.

PostPosted: Tue October 10th, 2017, 10:11 GMT 

20yearsofschooling wrote:
Anr Bjotk wrote:

'Sentimental' seems a weirdly specific criticism of a show you refuse to see. What makes you think it's sentimental? Or are you just arrogantly dismissing it as such based on the fact it's a musical? There are plenty of musicals which are about as far from sentimental as you can get (although most contain at least a degree of honest sentiment, which is not the same thing at all) .

It just saves so much time if you can dismiss something without having to actually experience it.

PostPosted: Tue October 10th, 2017, 16:23 GMT 

I find it quite interesting (and amusing) that a play which I found to be errant nonsense has gone down so well with so many others...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next