Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun November 19th, 2017, 14:21 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 2nd, 2017, 16:28 GMT 

Anyone know anything about this? First I've heard of it.... seems like more would have been made of it if they'd got the rights to the songs?

http://www.oldvictheatre.com/whats-on/2 ... =version_A

PostPosted: Thu May 4th, 2017, 15:39 GMT 

I love those version of the songs. I hope there might be a soundtrack.

PostPosted: Thu May 4th, 2017, 16:19 GMT 

A musical... just like a broadway musical... this is the most corny thing in the world... May God have mercy on our souls!

PostPosted: Thu May 4th, 2017, 20:00 GMT 

It sounds pretty interesting, actually. There’s a brief description at the link posted above, but I’ve been able to dig up a little more. The playwright, Conor McPherson, uses Bob’s songs to explore the lives of people on the edge of society during the Depression. Think The Petrified Forest meets The Lower Depths meets The Iceman Cometh—with singing and dancing.

The setting is a guesthouse in Duluth, late at night. It’s not the sort of guesthouse where you gaze out on the lake and breakfast on smoked trout and blueberry muffins as you map out the wineries and antique stores you’ll visit that day. It’s more like a boardinghouse for lost souls. A motley group of people has gathered there that night. There aren’t enough beds for everyone, but no one can sleep anyway. There’s Nick, the owner, who’s hopelessly in debt. There’s Elizabeth, his wife, who drifts in and out of sanity; most of the time she’s back in Red Wing, where her father ran the lollipop factory. There’s Marianne, their daughter, who’s pregnant but won’t say who the father is—won’t say, because she doesn’t know. There’s Pastor Joe, the Bible salesman, who has a range of Bibles to fit any budget, from a paperbound abridged edition up to a gold-stamped, calfskin-bound autographed first edition. There’s Eddie, the washed-up pugilist looking for one more comeback. There’s the Governor, a cheerful little man who may or may not be Tuneful Tommy Swenson, the former singing governor of Minnesota. There’s Louie, the deaf-mute pinboy, with a secret he’s anxious to tell, if only he could. There are Ducky and Muscles, waiting for the boss to show up with the loot from the Chisholm heist. There’s the Countess, a distinguished lady in a dress forty years out of fashion, who watches everyone’s conversation intently and shakes her head sadly as she makes observations in a language no one understands. There’s the folklorist, Robert, with his recording machine, into which he coaxes them all in turn to tell their stories. And there’s a cloaked figure in the corner, whom nobody knows—he may be dead, he may be the devil, he may be Jesus, he may be just a cloak over a chair. And nobody has the courage to find out.

A flood is coming that will wash the whole town away. At least that’s what the radio says. Some in the group deny it; it’s all a big hoax, they say. It’s just what those bankers want you to think. Others, like Nick, are resigned to it. “This town deserves drowning,” he says. And as the cold wind moans and shakes the walls, and the dogs at the dog hospital next door bark and whimper (“Them dogs ain’t so different from us, when you come down to it,” observes Ducky to Muscles), these strangers wait out the long night and comfort themselves with songs and conversation,

Dylan fans, of course, will want to know what songs are featured. There are definitely some unusual choices (the first three can be heard on the play’s Web page):

“Sweetheart Like You”
“True Love Tends to Forget”
“You Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere”
“Something There Is About You”
“Seven Days”
“Ballad of Hollis Brown”
“Tell Ol’ Bill”
“Shelter from the Storm”
“Walls of Red Wing”
“Forgetful Heart”
“Winterlude”
“Night after Night”
“Girl from the North Country”

I don't think I can make it to London, but I can’t wait for the cast album!

PostPosted: Thu May 4th, 2017, 20:09 GMT 

Hollis Brown? Hollis Brown into a musical? Oh my god.

PostPosted: Sun May 7th, 2017, 00:08 GMT 

Senyor Timbaler wrote:
Hollis Brown? Hollis Brown into a musical? Oh my god.

It's being advertised as a play, not a musical.

PostPosted: Sun May 7th, 2017, 00:16 GMT 

mojofilter wrote:
with singing and dancing.

Is it confirmed that there will be dancing? It's being advertised as a play, not a musical.

PostPosted: Sun May 7th, 2017, 09:22 GMT 

It's a play with/inspired by Dylan's music. One look at the people involved should tell you that we're not looking at some awful, misguided jukebox West End musical.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conor_McPherson

Plus, Dylan has given it his blessing.

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2016/ ... -programme

PostPosted: Sun May 7th, 2017, 12:07 GMT 

"The times they are a changin" (The musical) also had Dylan's blessing... I'm pretty sure Bob has not read the play of this new thing. Give me a bunch of dollars and I'll give you a blessing. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 9th, 2017, 18:03 GMT 

HardTimes wrote:
mojofilter wrote:
with singing and dancing.

Is it confirmed that there will be dancing? It's being advertised as a play, not a musical.

A musical is a play. It's a play with music. And where there's music, there has to be dancing, because who can keep their feet still when the band strikes up "Forgetful Heart"?

PostPosted: Tue May 9th, 2017, 21:51 GMT 

Sounds interesting. No more a Broadway musical than ‘Masked & Anonymous’ is a Hollywood one, I'd guess.

Conor McPherson (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conor_McPherson) is an upfront playwright and filmmaker and there are some serious actors involved. I’ve had the pleasure of seeing two of his engrossing group psychodrama plays, ‘The Wayfarer’ and ‘The Weir’.

It's not surprising that Dylan was enthusiastic and gave them carte blanche with the songs given the setting -Minnesota in the 30s - and scene - a group of misfits stranded in a room. Hopefully it’ll do well and travel outwards from London.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJCmgKRszYM

PostPosted: Thu May 11th, 2017, 00:50 GMT 

https://youtu.be/-93Ck62tsGQ

PostPosted: Tue June 27th, 2017, 11:54 GMT 

I seen this mentioned on another thread was the first i had heard of it, just got tickets for the 8th of July.

Duluth, Minnesota. 1934.

A community living on a knife-edge huddle together in the local guesthouse.

The owner, Nick, owes more money than he can ever repay, his wife Elizabeth is losing her mind and their daughter Marianne is carrying a child no-one will account for.

And, when a preacher selling bibles and a boxer looking for a comeback show up in the middle of the night, things start to spiral beyond the point of no return…

Brought to life by a 20-piece company of actors and musicians, award-winning playwright Conor McPherson beautifully weaves the iconic songbook of Bob Dylan into this new show full of hope, heartbreak and soul.

https://www.oldvictheatre.com/whats-on/ ... -country-3

PostPosted: Sat July 8th, 2017, 22:35 GMT 

Just out of the opening night, fantastic show that I would highly recommend.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun July 9th, 2017, 02:52 GMT 

the_hurricane wrote:
Just out of the opening night, fantastic show that I would highly recommend.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Great! I have had tickets booked for a while - luckily it coincides with a trip home for me.
Looking forward!

PostPosted: Sun July 9th, 2017, 07:38 GMT 

Would like to hear more about it when you get a chance.

I really like the cover version of "Slow Train" on the Old Vic website--is it in the play? The songs seem to be done really well.

PostPosted: Sun July 9th, 2017, 08:30 GMT 

I also saw the first performance last night. It's really great.

But... I don't want to start any wild rumours (I so do) but it's so Dylanesque in its style, themes, dialogue and jokes that I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't a secret co-write with Sergei Petrov.
That would also explain some of the song choices, which tend towards those that are critically underappreciated but that Bobby has continued to believe in. Who'd expect so many songs from Infidels?

It's more likely that Conor McPherson is such a huge Dylan fan that he wrote the play in Bob's voice and likes all the same shit we like. But you should definitely go.
The songs are all done brilliantly. I'd love the cast to perform a concert version. And while they don't make a whole heap of sense in the narrative, they act more as an indicator of the state of mind of the characters.

And Bishop Brennan from Father Ted is in it.

4 stars.

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 06:45 GMT 

A friend of mine saw this the other night and said it was quite remarkable: so moving, and the songs are skillfully selected to enhance the sheer loneliness and desolation of the characters (the song choices seem to be changing a bit whilst in previews, incidentally). He said he'd never seen anything like it - most of the songs were new to him, and many were a revelation in how they were performed. A musical? Not really. A play with music? Kinda. But unlike anything that has gone before, by the sounds of things.

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 08:19 GMT 

oneofthesupremes wrote:
I also saw the first performance last night. It's really great.

But... I don't want to start any wild rumours (I so do) but it's so Dylanesque in its style, themes, dialogue and jokes that I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't a secret co-write with Sergei Petrov.
That would also explain some of the song choices, which tend towards those that are critically underappreciated but that Bobby has continued to believe in. Who'd expect so many songs from Infidels?

It's more likely that Conor McPherson is such a huge Dylan fan that he wrote the play in Bob's voice and likes all the same shit we like. But you should definitely go.
The songs are all done brilliantly. I'd love the cast to perform a concert version. And while they don't make a whole heap of sense in the narrative, they act more as an indicator of the state of mind of the characters.

4 stars.

2 Points

I agree with the song choice and i could see where most of them fitted into the story apart from one, i couldnt see how "Like a rolling stone" related to the story, i just seemed to be put in there due to it being such a big song.

2. Thanks for mentioning Bishop Brennan, i knew i knew who that was but i couldnt think how.

PostPosted: Mon July 17th, 2017, 18:20 GMT 

Another reason to look forward to this- thanks Karen for sorting out tickets!

Do we get to kick him up the arse for the encore?

(Apologies if you're not a Father Ted fan. You need to see it...Go on, go on, go on...)

PostPosted: Mon July 17th, 2017, 18:33 GMT 
*Senior Contributor*

I have to admit to being somewhat disappointed to discover that the play is full of old songs... why didn't Dylan write some new songs for this new play?

I can only think that it's Dylan fleecing his fans once again... just like he does with his tour programme scam.

Astronomically priced, and the same bloody programme for all the shows on that particular tour... I end up with four or five identical programmes! Absolutely the same bloody programme. Disgraceful!

Some of his fans are elderly or even blind, and it's them that I feel sorriest for. These old blind folk don't even know that they are being scammed. They don't know that it's the same programme as the night before.

I would like to remind Mr. Dylan that money does not grow on trees!

PostPosted: Tue July 18th, 2017, 12:35 GMT 

thickboy wrote:
I have to admit to being somewhat disappointed to discover that the play is full of old songs... why didn't Dylan write some new songs for this new play?

I can only think that it's Dylan fleecing his fans once again... just like he does with his tour programme scam.

Astronomically priced, and the same bloody programme for all the shows on that particular tour... I end up with four or five identical programmes! Absolutely the same bloody programme. Disgraceful!

Some of his fans are elderly or even blind, and it's them that I feel sorriest for. These old blind folk don't even know that they are being scammed. They don't know that it's the same programme as the night before.

I would like to remind Mr. Dylan that money does not grow on trees!

Probably the most apt username I've ever seen on an internet forum

PostPosted: Tue July 18th, 2017, 21:54 GMT 

After reading the reviews of others I was expecting to love this. To my disappointment I found it an unmitigated bewildering mess. The use of some songs I found particularly crass - e.g. One of the characters is a black boxer so we get half of Hurricane shoe-horned into the play - itself a narrative heavy song - it just doesn't work. There are one or two good dramatic lines but I'm afraid they're not enough to save this. The second half is especially bad - several songs in quick succession completely derail what little narrative thread was there to begin with, and the last 20 minutes where the characters rush to deliver the rest of the story feels creaky. The only good point was the cast universally had great singing voices, and seemed to be good actors. However they were I'm afraid wasted on this tosh.

PostPosted: Sun July 23rd, 2017, 17:51 GMT 

More “Madhouse On Castle Street” than “Evita” …and all the better for it!

Thoroughly enjoyed the play…with songs…on Saturday as it seemed did the rest of the audience, resulting in the now pretty much inevitable west end standing ovation, and much discussion as we filed out onto the wet streets.

The song arrangements are quite special and the actor/singers impressive, particularly Shirley Henderson who plays Elizabeth Laine the dementia suffering wife of the boarding house owner. How can such a powerful voice come out of such a tiny frame??

Difficult to imagine the critics liking this production, not “musical” enough, not enough “drama” etc etc.

As always Mr D will confound and split opinion.

Go see it’s a unique piece of theatre.

Oh, and Conor McPherson doesn’t write “tosh” he wouldn’t know how to go about it, and he likes all of his old plays.

Chris

PostPosted: Mon July 24th, 2017, 08:31 GMT 

ChristopherG wrote:
More “Madhouse On Castle Street” than “Evita” …and all the better for it!

Thoroughly enjoyed the play…with songs…on Saturday as it seemed did the rest of the audience, resulting in the now pretty much inevitable west end standing ovation, and much discussion as we filed out onto the wet streets.

The song arrangements are quite special and the actor/singers impressive, particularly Shirley Henderson who plays Elizabeth Laine the dementia suffering wife of the boarding house owner. How can such a powerful voice come out of such a tiny frame??

Difficult to imagine the critics liking this production, not “musical” enough, not enough “drama” etc etc.

As always Mr D will confound and split opinion.

Go see it’s a unique piece of theatre.

Oh, and Conor McPherson doesn’t write “tosh” he wouldn’t know how to go about it, and he likes all of his old plays.

Chris

She stole the show for me, and she was rather attractive as well.