Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue October 24th, 2017, 04:12 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon April 24th, 2017, 11:19 GMT 
Titanium Member

As per the front page

THEY'VE GOT FOOTAGE OF THE ELECTRIC TANGLED UP IN BLUE FROM FORT COLLINS '76!!!!!

This is the most exciting thing I've heard all year. Was anyone at the showing in NJ to witness it?

Full list of clips here: http://www.njarts.net/film/bob-dylan-ra ... -festival/

PostPosted: Mon April 24th, 2017, 11:22 GMT 
Promethium Member

No Lily, Rosemary etc? :?

PostPosted: Mon April 24th, 2017, 11:25 GMT 
Titanium Member

Dear Sony,

Please release a big boxset of 75/76 footage. You can add all the deluxe bullshit you want. Charge whatever you want. I'll buy it. Just sell it to me. Please.

PostPosted: Mon April 24th, 2017, 11:28 GMT 
Promethium Member

You got nine years, start saving.

PostPosted: Mon April 24th, 2017, 11:32 GMT 
Titanium Member

Does that apply to film? We never saw a release of Eat The Document last year (or was that officially released in 1971 or something?).

PostPosted: Mon April 24th, 2017, 11:33 GMT 
Promethium Member

Probably not, but don't you think they'll want to protect the music, first and foremost?

PostPosted: Mon April 24th, 2017, 11:35 GMT 
Titanium Member

Then they could just release the audio without the film - and I very much want the film. It's sad that Sony have decided than DVDs aren't marketable (but Triplicate somehow is...) especially when NDH and the archival footage it contained, was so popular with the wider music buying public.

PostPosted: Mon April 24th, 2017, 11:45 GMT 

http://www.njarts.net/film/bob-dylan-ra ... um=twitter

More Bob Dylan rarities screened at Asbury Park Music and Film Festival
By: JAY LUSTIG | 9 HOURS AGO

Bob Dylan on the Canadian television show “Quest” in 1964.
For the second year in a row, the Asbury Park Music and Film Festival offered an approximately hour-long peek into rare and, in some cases, never before publicly screened clips from Dylan’s own archive, which have been purchased by the University of Tulsa, and are now part of the Bob Dylan Archive there.

As he did last year, Dylan’s manager Jeff Rosen, who is on the festival’s board, guided viewers through the clips and gave a little background on each one.

Three were many captivating moments, with the highlight, for me, being a version of “Tangled Up in Blue” from Hughes Stadium in Fort Collins, Colo., in 1976. The clip was made for Dylan’s “Hard Rain” television special but not included in it, perhaps because it’s such an eccentric performance. Dylan changes the song’s arrangement and tempo so many times he astonishes even his backing musicians, yet he never seems to lose touch with the song’s emotional thread.

These are the event’s other 10 clips, in chronological order (as they were shown):

“Talking World War III Blues.” From a Canadian TV show, “Quest,” taped in February 1964. A really weird clip, with Dylan pictured as a Woody Guthrie-esque troubadour, singing his wry lyrics to a bunch of rugged guys sitting around in a rustic cabin. Sometimes they ignore him, but at other times they make an effort to get into the spirit of it and laugh at his jokes.

“The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll,” from “The Steve Allen Show.” A good performance, from just a few weeks later, of this Protest Era classic, preceded by an excruciating awkward interview by the resolutely square Allen.

“Love Minus Zero/No Limit.” An outtake from D.A. Pennebaker’s “Don’t Look Back” documentary: A solo acoustic performance of the song, played in a London hotel room in May 1965, with Donovan and others looking on. The transformation from earnest folkie (in the two previous clips) to surrealistic poet (“Statues made of matchsticks crumble into one another”) in a little more than a year is incredible.

“It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry.” Just two months later (July 1965), Dylan is now in full-blown electric rocker mode in this performance from the Newport Folk Festival, buoyed by Mike Bloomfield’s muscular lead guitar.

“One Too Many Morning.” A majestic performance from the 1966 European Tour with the band that would basically turn into The Band (featuring Robbie Robertson, Rick Danko, Garth Hudson and Richard Manuel). Danko (who sings backing vocals) and Robertson are visible at times. If I remember correctly, there’s just one shadowy image of Manuel, and none at all of Hudson.

“Hurricane.” A tight, focused performance of the then-new single from the Rolling Thunder Revue in 1975, with some great footage of violinist Scarlet Rivera.

“Blowin’ in the Wind.” A gospelly rendition from a 1981 arena show, with Al Kooper on organ.

“License to Kill.” A 1984 performance from “Late Night With David Letterman,” with just three other musicians: drummer Charlie Quintana and bassist Tony Marsico (both of the Latin punk band The Plugz) and guitarist J.J. Holiday.

“Weeping Willow.” Recorded live at an unusually intimate venue, The Supper Club in New York, in 1993. Dylan never performed the Blind Boy Fuller song before or after this night.

“Once Upon a Time.” Some sweet (well, as sweet as Dylan gets) crooning from last year’s TV special, “Once Upon a Time — Tony Bennett Celebrates 90: The Best Is Yet to Come.”

PostPosted: Mon April 24th, 2017, 12:46 GMT 

A friend of mine on Facebook saw it, and posted this:

"Just saw a video of the most insane version of Tangled Up In Blue, an outtake from "Hard Rain" (the TV show) that made the Maggie's Farm from that tour seem tame, the tempo changed on every verse."

PostPosted: Mon April 24th, 2017, 12:48 GMT 
Titanium Member

outfidel wrote:
A friend of mine on Facebook saw it, and posted this:

"Just saw a video of the most insane version of Tangled Up In Blue, an outtake from "Hard Rain" (the TV show) that made the Maggie's Farm from that tour seem tame, the tempo changed on every verse."

If you haven't heard it, there's a link to the previously circulating audience recording on the front page.

PostPosted: Mon April 24th, 2017, 14:15 GMT 
Promethium Member

Great to know that film does indeed exist. That even the original Hard Rain film is still unreleased shows just how crazy the music world can be.

PostPosted: Mon April 24th, 2017, 14:16 GMT 

Wow, I just can' t wait to see this films, if they only will release it. :D

PostPosted: Mon April 24th, 2017, 16:07 GMT 

Where can I watch this?

PostPosted: Mon April 24th, 2017, 17:23 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
Does that apply to film? We never saw a release of Eat The Document last year (or was that officially released in 1971 or something?).

Pretty sure that an original print of Dont Look Back is PD now or end of this year. A cleaned up digitisation, though, has its own IP. There's doubtless a test case needed for processed derivative works, but a search for PD movies throws up plenty 1960s items. Songwriter/publisher royalties still required for at least another 70y!

PostPosted: Mon April 24th, 2017, 17:52 GMT 

This "Tangled" is a double-win for me, as I was not aware of this version.

I'm not a diehard for '75/'76, but have several versions of the TV specials and have heard many live tapes. Somehow never knew about the long band version of the song.

I guess I skipped audience tape. What a nice surprise.
Hope I get to see it someday, or hear the soundboard.

PostPosted: Tue April 25th, 2017, 03:17 GMT 

I'm excited about the Letterman performances. I assume these are high quality versions which makes it seem (although unlikely) that we might get these officially released one day on a bootleg series.

PostPosted: Tue April 25th, 2017, 06:16 GMT 

workingmanblues wrote:
I'm excited about the Letterman performances. I assume these are high quality versions which makes it seem (although unlikely) that we might get these officially released one day on a bootleg series.

Now you got me all excited... :D Not to mention the Supper Club video. Is there any way to break in there and steal the reels or tapes or whatever? We could all plan a heist togeher. I'll be the driver.

PostPosted: Tue April 25th, 2017, 06:35 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
We could all plan a heist togeher. I'll be the driver.

ER's 11.

They didn't want to be forced into a life of continual crime.
But then there was unreleased '76 Tangled footage.

Rated PG for Parental Guidance Suggested when the discussion of Triplicate is read out loud.

PostPosted: Tue April 25th, 2017, 16:54 GMT 

my precious time wrote:
Anr Bjotk wrote:
We could all plan a heist togeher. I'll be the driver.

ER's 11.

They didn't want to be forced into a life of continual crime.
But then there was unreleased '76 Tangled footage.

Rated PG for Parental Guidance Suggested when the discussion of Triplicate is read out loud.

"Two doors down the boys finally made it through the wall
And cleaned out the archives, it’s said that they got off with quite a haul"

PostPosted: Tue April 25th, 2017, 17:20 GMT 
Titanium Member

I'm already on my way to the balaclava store to stock up. Count me in!

PostPosted: Tue April 25th, 2017, 17:42 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
Then they could just release the audio without the film - and I very much want the film. It's sad that Sony have decided than DVDs aren't marketable (but Triplicate somehow is...) especially when NDH and the archival footage it contained, was so popular with the wider music buying public.

Maybe it will be included in the Scorsese doc?

On Monday, The Desert Sun published an article in which author Douglas Brinkley--one of the few outsiders to have been granted access to Dylan's inner sanctum over the years--spoke about the book he's currently writing on Dylan with, in his words, "... the cooperation of Dylan’s company."

He went on to say:

"The main focus of my book is going to be built around Bob Dylan and the American road," he said. "What is Dylan’s tradition as a troubadour? He did a tour for the nation’s bicentennial called the Rolling Thunder Revue, where Bob Dylan toured the country with Joan Baez and Alan Ginsberg, Ramblin' Jack Elliott, playwright Sam Shepard, T Bone Burnett and others. Martin Scorsese is doing a documentary right now on the Rolling Thunder Revue and I’ve been able to get copies of all of the interviews that have been done by the Scorsese team over the decades as a primary source for my book

Can't wait for this!

PostPosted: Tue April 25th, 2017, 18:06 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
I'm already on my way to the balaclava store to stock up. Count me in!

What? You don't have an emergency balaclava handy? And you call yourself a criminal?... tsk tsk.

PostPosted: Tue April 25th, 2017, 18:12 GMT 

man in the moon wrote:
gibsona07 wrote:

Maybe it will be included in the Scorsese doc?

On Monday, The Desert Sun published an article in which author Douglas Brinkley--one of the few outsiders to have been granted access to Dylan's inner sanctum over the years--spoke about the book he's currently writing on Dylan with, in his words, "... the cooperation of Dylan’s company."

He went on to say:

"The main focus of my book is going to be built around Bob Dylan and the American road," he said. "What is Dylan’s tradition as a troubadour? He did a tour for the nation’s bicentennial called the Rolling Thunder Revue, where Bob Dylan toured the country with Joan Baez and Alan Ginsberg, Ramblin' Jack Elliott, playwright Sam Shepard, T Bone Burnett and others. Martin Scorsese is doing a documentary right now on the Rolling Thunder Revue and I’ve been able to get copies of all of the interviews that have been done by the Scorsese team over the decades as a primary source for my book

Can't wait for this!

Was it Douglas Brinkley or you that managed to misspell Allen Ginsberg's name?

PostPosted: Tue April 25th, 2017, 18:35 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:

Was it Douglas Brinkley or you that managed to misspell Allen Ginsberg's name?

I mostly just copy and paste these days. Learned from the best! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue April 25th, 2017, 18:36 GMT 

There's a rehearsal boot from 1976 that has a couple snippets of Tangled up in blue. My folder says "Going going guam"

There's a little bit that's slow, some fast, there's a rollicking version where the band stops for the "Tangled up in blue" line in harmony, then they start up again.