Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu October 19th, 2017, 23:52 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 18th, 2017, 06:13 GMT 

Desolation Row wrote:
Shouldnt this be called the "Why havent I bought Triplicate when I own Knocked out loaded and Down in the groove" topic.

Well that’s too long for a title here. I did have a look and this is all I could get as a title:

“Why haven’t I bought Triplicate when I own Knocked Out Loade

I could use abbreviations, e.g. “Why haven’t I bought Triplicate when I own KOL & DITG” topic

But I think I’ve explained most of my reasoning here already. However, just for the record I used to be a bit of a Dylan completist. I bought all his albums; good, bad or indifferent and bought film score albums, tribute albums and compilations just for the odd track. Even though I’m not a huge fan of Saved or Shot I bought them anyway as there were a couple of gems such as ‘Every Grain of Sand’ tucked away on them. With KOL there was Brownsville Girl and DITG at least has Silvio. I like a lot of Grateful Dead’s albums so an album called Dylan and The Dead was a must, even though I prefer Postcards of the Hanging. I’m also not really into Empire Burlesque – but it was an album of new Dylan originals so I had to add it to my collection. Good As I Been To You and World Gone Wrong weren’t original songs but his vocals and interpretations of some traditional folk songs I quite liked, also the guitar playing was something to behold. Christmas In The Heart was the first album I nearly didn’t buy but as all profits were going to charity I was sucked in.
The difference with Triplicate is that we already had two runs of this Great American songbook stuff! I just feel that an album of thirty more such songs is something I don’t really need. Furthermore seeing him perform two of the songs ‘live’ hasn’t inspired me to rush out and buy it. Lastly, there has been quite a few albums by other artists that I really wanted to buy so decisions had to be made. There's only so much in the pot and I do have the 36 CD set of 1966 live recordings to listen to!

PostPosted: Thu May 18th, 2017, 14:05 GMT 

There are so many important albums of Bob, I dont have yet ...

PostPosted: Thu May 18th, 2017, 14:13 GMT 

To answer the topics question, I haven´t bought it yet because I live in Serbia and there are not many record stores and last time I visited them they didn´t have it yet, plus Amazon doesn´t ship here. But I´ll buy it in a couple weeks hopefully, though I´ll admit I´m not super excited about it. I´m MUCH more excited to get the Live 1966 box and Clinton Heylin´s biography "Behind the shades", both of which are waiting for me in my parents house

PostPosted: Fri May 19th, 2017, 21:58 GMT 

"The difference with Triplicate is that we already had two runs of this Great American songbook stuff! I just feel that an album of thirty more such songs is something I don’t really need." Yes, that's my attitude as well. I don't have anything against the music, and don't regret buying the other two, but I just don't feel motivated to own five CDs of that stuff.

PostPosted: Sat May 20th, 2017, 14:07 GMT 

Lone Pilgrim wrote:
dvdunplugged wrote:
The difference with Triplicate is that we already had two runs of this Great American songbook stuff! I just feel that an album of thirty more such songs is something I don’t really need.

Yes, that's my attitude as well. I don't have anything against the music, and don't regret buying the other two, but I just don't feel motivated to own five CDs of that stuff.

I have to say that if it had been a set comprised of covers of artists who really inspired him - Woody Guthrie, Jimmie Rogers, Hank Snow, Pete Seeger, Bessie Smith, The Carter Family and Johnny Cash (and maybe something by Chuck Berry) I may have been a lot more interested. It would have broken things up for a while at least.

PostPosted: Sun May 21st, 2017, 15:55 GMT 

Found a thread discussing Bob on another forum I am a member of L, and someone made this comment about Fallen Angels about a year ago:

Same decrepit, tired lounge act all over again. This better be the last one, Bob.

PostPosted: Sun May 21st, 2017, 17:11 GMT 
Promethium Member

Dylan must be a member too, the sadist...

I still say that if you liked Shadows there's plenty on here to enjoy, it just isn't the same focused presentation. It's more like rummaging through a trunk found in the attic.

PostPosted: Sun May 21st, 2017, 21:59 GMT 
Titanium Member

smoke wrote:
Dylan must be a member too, the sadist...

I still say that if you liked Shadows there's plenty on here to enjoy, it just isn't the same focused presentation. It's more like rummaging through a trunk found in the attic.

Can I trade the trunk for what is behind door number 2....like some songs Dylan wrote, or some Stanley Brothers covers...anything but more Frank. Please God make it stop... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 23rd, 2017, 02:57 GMT 

115th wrote:
jman wrote:
I can neither except nor accept.

Sorry, but English is not my mother language, I am from Austria, so I mixed accept with except.

Either way, monsoon you'll be drenched to the bone!

PostPosted: Tue May 23rd, 2017, 07:01 GMT 

It's still not on Spotify. I can't do anything. Hands are tied. There is no other way to procure it. Hands are tied.

PostPosted: Tue May 23rd, 2017, 19:14 GMT 
Titanium Member

There's a 10 song Triplicate sampler on TIDAL. I played it a while back. Also the NPR preview. Can't remember if they were the same songs. It's all like a glistening mound of gruel that's been sitting out in a bowl on the counter for a day or three.

PostPosted: Tue May 23rd, 2017, 23:08 GMT 

songs always get better live

PostPosted: Thu May 25th, 2017, 03:05 GMT 
Promethium Member

I know its your BDay Bob.
I still can't do it, sorry.

PostPosted: Thu May 25th, 2017, 03:40 GMT 

Triplicate is Self Portrait 2.0, and I'm so very glad they exist

In my opinion, at this point in Dylan's life, something is always better than nothing

PostPosted: Wed June 7th, 2017, 15:49 GMT 
Titanium Member

dvdunplugged wrote:
Lone Pilgrim wrote:
[quote="dvdunplugged"] The difference with Triplicate is that we already had two runs of this Great American songbook stuff! I just feel that an album of thirty more such songs is something I don’t really need.

Yes, that's my attitude as well. I don't have anything against the music, and don't regret buying the other two, but I just don't feel motivated to own five CDs of that stuff.

I have to say that if it had been a set comprised of covers of artists who really inspired him - Woody Guthrie, Jimmie Rogers, Hank Snow, Pete Seeger, Bessie Smith, The Carter Family and Johnny Cash (and maybe something by Chuck Berry) I may have been a lot more interested. It would have broken things up for a while at least.[/quote]

Lyrically, all of these songs have inspired The Bob Dylan you all love.

PostPosted: Sat June 10th, 2017, 22:00 GMT 

I didn't have either of the previous two "Sinatra" albums by Bob and didn't plan on buying this, despite the first song I heard from it, I Could Have Told You, sounded pretty good to me - at least, until I heard Sinatra's version again of it. Then the NPR streaming sampler didn't impress me at all. But all the raving about it from some, I went against my whole steadfast stance of being against him doing this at all and finally bought it on April 18th just to find out for myself; it arrived from Amazon the next day.

At first it didn't sound good at all, and I took a break during the second disc; when I came back, it was a wholly different listening experience for me, and I wondered why the few songs I thought sounded awful on first listen did to me originally. In short, I loved it.

I later got Shadows In The Night (I have most of Bob's albums, and just avoid those I know from listening to them that I don't like - the Christmas album, Knocked Out Loaded, the first two born-again ones [I have Shot Of Love though, some great songs on there], or a normal CD copy of Self-Portrait [a friend once surprised me with a CD-R of it; man, that's enough for me! I think it's the worst; I love the Another Self-Portrait though).
Shadows In The Night I really enjoy. I revisited that again the past night, and it's so soothing, for the most part. It's late-night listening, as is Triplicate.

I then noticed I could stream Fallen Angels on Amazon via Prime (I have heard all the Bob I don't have via Unlimited Music or whatever it's called on there, I did a free trial one month just to hear the Bob I didn't have - wound up buying some, and know the ones I don't want); anyway Fallen Angels didn't impress me really at all. It's not nearly as good as Shadows Of The Night, or Triplicate. I can see why after Fallen Angels came out how fans on here would want him to just STOP already! But I like Triplicate.

I hope he does stop though with this, and maybe put out a project of the old folk, blues and country artists' songs that influenced him (as mentioned above by goodnightsteve), if not originals - and I think Bob is through with writing; that's just my guess.

I'd love it if he did write some more, but only if the results were really good. Better than Tempest, anyway...

Last edited by Jim B. on Sat June 10th, 2017, 22:06 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat June 10th, 2017, 22:06 GMT 
Titanium Member

Jim B. wrote:
At first it didn't sound good at all, and I took a break during the second disc; when I came back, it was a wholly different listening experience for me, and I wondered why the few songs I thought sounded awful on first listen did to me originally. In short, I loved it.

this has been my response to many of the Dylan records I now consider my favorites. So perhaps it'll happen with this. i haven't gotten around to picking up Triplicate. Waiting for the inspiration I guess and was put off by yet another american standards release--3 discs of it, no less. I'll grab it one of these days i suppose when I'm caught up with what I've been wanting to hear.

PostPosted: Sat June 10th, 2017, 22:11 GMT 

John B. Stetson wrote:
Jim B. wrote:

this has been my response to many of the Dylan records I now consider my favorites. So perhaps it'll happen with this. i haven't gotten around to picking up Triplicate. Waiting for the inspiration I guess and was put off by yet another american standards release--3 discs of it, no less. I'll grab it one of these days i suppose when I'm caught up with what I've been wanting to hear.

Yeah, you should feel no pressure, by others.
Maybe I'll like some of the ones that didn't sound good to me before, one day.
I'll say "never", I'm never getting that, but I said that about Triplicate, so...

PostPosted: Sun June 11th, 2017, 20:53 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
Seeing that the subject has been brought up again I was wondering if seeing Dylan in concert over the last few weeks has kicked started people into buy the set. Lots of people I've met at the shows I've been to can't believe I've still not purchased it. One guy rates it higher than Shadows In The Night and says when I purchase it I've got to play it through three or four times to get the full effect. I have to say that his rendition of Stormy Weather has done little to tempt me thus far.

So on the eve of the start of his 29 date tour of the U.S. and Canada I do wonder if seeing him croak a few songs from the album will get the punters down the record shops demanding Triplicate or downloading it?

PostPosted: Tue July 18th, 2017, 05:20 GMT 

It's price is still sticking at £16.99 and although I've methodically searched for it in our local charity shops, garage and car boot sales it still hasn't turned up yet.

PostPosted: Tue July 18th, 2017, 09:40 GMT 
Mercury Member

I haven't bought it. I did download it from a torrent and listened to it once all the way through, honest. I think it is an improvement on Fallen Angels. I'm still not going to buy it.

I remember a time when a new Dylan album was a really exciting event. I never anticipated yawning at the prospect of a new release, or listening to one out of a misplaced sense of duty.

Still, if it makes the old duffer happy, who am I to be critical?

PostPosted: Tue July 18th, 2017, 21:58 GMT 

Got it as a birthday present back in April, still havent listened though. Its on the pile to listen to. Just doesnt enthuse at the current time. But i'll get there eventually. Probably 1cd at a time.

PostPosted: Wed July 19th, 2017, 02:25 GMT 
Titanium Member

Same here. Bought it the day it came out but still haven't heard the whole thing. I listened to Disc 1 a couple times, and then a couple random tracks from the sampler on Spotify, but haven't had the interest yet to listen to the whole thing.

PostPosted: Wed July 19th, 2017, 14:46 GMT 
Promethium Member

Haven't bought it, downloaded it or even hand-held it in a music store.
Zero interest in a Bob album...a first for me. (never made it through the other 2, Fallen Shadows)
Won't bother even picking it up used, have all the other Bob and a cartload of boots.
The versions being spewed on stage right now are as good as it's gonna get regarding the Standards, IMHO.
Ready to move to the "next phase"...

PostPosted: Wed July 19th, 2017, 15:00 GMT 

Jeeze. This is like a time-loop, with the same few people constantly re-reminding themselves in triplicate they haven't purchased Triplicate. We get it already, in triplicate.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next