Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri December 15th, 2017, 13:45 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed April 12th, 2017, 17:10 GMT 

patford wrote:
Is there anyone on this thread who *hasn't* bought TRIPLICATE? Or who hasn't got it via some other means? It's interesting that the people who hate it most seem to have all rushed out to acquire either the album or a download and frequently did so before the album was released.

Me neither. I've listened to the excerpts on itunes and that told me all I needed to know. It's a bad sign when I can't even be bothered to download the album illegally... (not that I would with a Dylan release.)

PostPosted: Wed April 12th, 2017, 17:26 GMT 

carnap wrote:
Frank Ifield was very good at it. If you want to hear it done right check out Frank Ifield.

Thanks, but I don't think I want to check that out either.

PostPosted: Wed April 12th, 2017, 17:58 GMT 
Titanium Member

Suit yourself.

PostPosted: Wed April 12th, 2017, 18:01 GMT 
Titanium Member

carnap wrote:
P.S. I only remember one song on which Bob yodeled but I don't recall which song that was. Yodeling is good but it takes a lot of skill. Frank Ifield was very good at it. If you want to hear it done right check out Frank Ifield.

I don't remember ever hearing Bob yodel.
If you remember which song Bob yodeled on, please post that info here, I'd love to hear it. :D
Just thinking of Bob yodeling makes me just about fall on the floor laughing.
On the other hand, Bob is good at welding & has other surprising talents...maybe he's
a darn good yodeler to boot.

Roy Rogers>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u00Y11x16V0

PostPosted: Wed April 12th, 2017, 18:24 GMT 
Titanium Member

Queen Anne Lace wrote:
carnap wrote:
P.S. I only remember one song on which Bob yodeled but I don't recall which song that was. Yodeling is good but it takes a lot of skill. Frank Ifield was very good at it. If you want to hear it done right check out Frank Ifield.

I don't remember ever hearing Bob yodel.
If you remember which song Bob yodeled on, please post that info here, I'd love to hear it. :D
Just thinking of Bob yodeling makes me just about fall on the floor laughing.
On the other hand, Bob is good at welding & has other surprising talents...maybe he's
a darn good yodeler to boot.

Roy Rogers>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u00Y11x16V0

Bob was singing Jimmie Rodgers' blue yodels as early as 1960 - Muleskinner Blues - but if you wanna hear Bobby yodel, just listen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl8l4CudHyk - Bob and Johnny Cash in 1969 with Blue Yodel No 2. You'll probably have had enough after this, but there's a number of Johnny & Bob blue yodels out there 8)

Oh, go on then: here's Bob at the Finjan Club in 1962 with Muleskinner Blues - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5xSSPZeeUk - yodellin' at 0:50.

PostPosted: Wed April 12th, 2017, 18:49 GMT 
Titanium Member

Futile Horn wrote:
carnap wrote:
Frank Ifield was very good at it [yodellin']. If you want to hear it done right check out Frank Ifield.

Thanks, but I don't think I want to check that out either.

OK, but check where Frank got it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpd5KS8WrKA

and here's Frank any way - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LybSS4amIS0

:D 8) :P

PostPosted: Wed April 12th, 2017, 18:58 GMT 

supermabel1 wrote:
OK, but check where Frank got it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpd5KS8WrKA

and here's Frank any way - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LybSS4amIS0

:D 8) :P

Dear god! :shock:

PostPosted: Wed April 12th, 2017, 19:16 GMT 

OK. Admittedly Dylan is doing some kind of reverse yodeling right now. But I would not be surprised if this kind of upsinging would form his next repertoire and would be interesting to see how enthusiastically this would be received. Maybe even number 36 debut on the Billboard charts?

PostPosted: Wed April 12th, 2017, 19:30 GMT 
Titanium Member

supermabel1 wrote:
Bob was singing Jimmie Rodgers' blue yodels as early as 1960 - Muleskinner Blues - but if you wanna hear Bobby yodel, just listen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl8l4CudHyk - Bob and Johnny Cash in 1969 with Blue Yodel No 2. You'll probably have had enough after this, but there's a number of Johnny & Bob blue yodels out there 8)

Oh, go on then: here's Bob at the Finjan Club in 1962 with Muleskinner Blues - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5xSSPZeeUk - yodellin' at 0:50.

:lol: Thanks, SuperM. That made my day.

I don't know how Yodeling-Bob escaped my attention all these years.

PostPosted: Wed April 12th, 2017, 23:51 GMT 

The rights and wrongs on reverse yodelling and Frank Ifield's prowess on the subject makes me wonder if Triplicate would have been more acceptable if Winifred Atwell was playing piano!

PostPosted: Thu April 13th, 2017, 03:32 GMT 

patford wrote:
Is there anyone on this thread who *hasn't* bought TRIPLICATE? Or who hasn't got it via some other means? It's interesting that the people who hate it most seem to have all rushed out to acquire either the album or a download and frequently did so before the album was released.

Me.

Instead, I currently have side B of BIABH on perma situ on the turntable.

PostPosted: Thu April 13th, 2017, 06:29 GMT 

Some mighty fine lyrics on this album.

Although I haven't come across any flat-chested junkie whores, I did end up, unfortunately, with a flaw in my flue.

PostPosted: Fri April 14th, 2017, 06:50 GMT 

Bob is reading all the mean comments and is ending his shows with Ballad Of A Thin Man now

PostPosted: Fri April 14th, 2017, 06:51 GMT 

patford wrote:

I haven't bought it. And I probably never will. And I also didn't hear this album any other way.
I was exited to get the Shadows album, but i didn't really like it. very reluctantly, I bought Fallen Angels. And I liked it even less. If Triplicate would have been a single album, maybe I would have bought it. But three more albums of this stuff is just too much for me. I just can't stand the way Bob is trying to "sing" all those songs that are just not made for him.
One good thing about these albums: I checked out some of the "original" versions of the songs presented by Bob here. And I discovered some artists, and some tunes that I really liked. I probably never would have found them without Bob.

It still makes me sad that there will be this hole in my Bob Dylan album collection. Triplicate is the only one of his original albums I'm not gonna own.

PostPosted: Fri April 14th, 2017, 07:39 GMT 

WrittenInMySoul wrote:
patford wrote:

I haven't bought it. And I probably never will. And I also didn't hear this album any other way.
I was exited to get the Shadows album, but i didn't really like it. very reluctantly, I bought Fallen Angels. And I liked it even less. If Triplicate would have been a single album, maybe I would have bought it. But three more albums of this stuff is just too much for me. I just can't stand the way Bob is trying to "sing" all those songs that are just not made for him.
One good thing about these albums: I checked out some of the "original" versions of the songs presented by Bob here. And I discovered some artists, and some tunes that I really liked. I probably never would have found them without Bob.

It still makes me sad that there will be this hole in my Bob Dylan album collection. Triplicate is the only one of his original albums I'm not gonna own.

What I've highlighted in bold more or less highlights my feelings exactly. The only difference being that I actually quite enjoyed Shadows In The Night. When I think that I've got Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid, the 'Dylan' album released when he left Columbia in the early 70's, Empire Burlesque, Shot, Saved, Down In The Groove, Dylan & The Dead, Knocked Out Loaded and Together Through Life none of which are favourites it is a huge milestone for me not purchasing Triplicate in any format. ....and yes I have Christmas In The Heart as well!

PostPosted: Fri April 14th, 2017, 08:45 GMT 

If you're a real fan then you'll buy 80 copies, Triplicate goes 12 times platinum and tops the charts in forty countries.

Only way to guarantee we never hear another Sinatra song ever.

PostPosted: Fri April 14th, 2017, 15:06 GMT 

Walked past HMV in Liverpool yesterday, with a spare £20 in my pocket. Not a second's hesitation.

Enjoyed a good lunch, with a nice glass of house red.

PostPosted: Fri April 14th, 2017, 16:23 GMT 

Leonard wrote:
Walked past HMV in Liverpool yesterday, with a spare £20 in my pocket. Not a second's hesitation.

Enjoyed a good lunch, with a nice glass of house red.

Solid choice.

PostPosted: Fri April 14th, 2017, 16:53 GMT 

Foggy wrote:
Amos wrote:
The lyrics is Spirit are much more interesting than these standards.

They're not, though. They are just different.

I like Spirit, but there are lyrics here that spring from a different well, one that is not Dylan's forte, and it's great to hear him bring his vocal talent to them. PS I Love You--Dylan, with all his gifts, doesn't tend to provide such beautiful vignettes of ordinary life, the everyday, underscored by the transcendence of romance. September of My Years is another absolutely gorgeous lyric. There are so many of them.

Sorry for the typo. Should have said in not is.

It's opinion. And I disagree with what you say.

You say they're different than the standards. Yes. We agree on that. Thank goodness they're different. Perhaps that's why I find them more interesting.

PostPosted: Fri April 14th, 2017, 21:38 GMT 
Titanium Member

I vote to change this thread title to why isn't there a book published by SuperMabel yet!

PostPosted: Sat April 15th, 2017, 06:25 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
smoke wrote:
Many people say Dylan doesn't have the voice for this type of material, which is fair enough, but there are still many people who say he doesn't have the voice for folk music or rock and roll.

For sure there are lots of people who can't stand Bob Dylan whatever he sings, however there are many more that aren't his greatest of fans who do appreciate that he has written a host of good songs that have been covered by other artists. For me the fact that this is his third album of non-original material speaks volumes. It's a shame when the winner Nobel for literature decides to release another set of covers just before he accepts the prize.

...but I don't think will be attracting too many new fans with his versions of stuff from the Great American Songbook!

PostPosted: Sat April 15th, 2017, 09:07 GMT 

patford wrote:

I have not and have no plans to. I'm sure it's fine. Bring the whole thing to Spotify, Sony, and I will listen to it at least once before forgetting that it exists.

PostPosted: Sat April 15th, 2017, 09:19 GMT 

Md23Rewls wrote:
patford wrote:

I have not and have no plans to. I'm sure it's fine. Bring the whole thing to Spotify, Sony, and I will listen to it at least once before forgetting that it exists.

Your loss. It's exquisite.

Time will tell.

PostPosted: Wed April 19th, 2017, 05:34 GMT 

If he was really that bothered about people buying the set surely he would include more songs in the set list. Stormy Weather has now made an appearance but apart from that and I Could Have Told You he seems to be keeping faith with Shadows and Fallen Angels.

PostPosted: Wed April 19th, 2017, 11:47 GMT 
Titanium Member

A Merry Llama wrote:
I vote to change this thread title to why isn't there a book published by SuperMabel yet!

:shock: :oops: :oops: :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next