Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri November 24th, 2017, 15:08 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Sun April 9th, 2017, 19:57 GMT 

jimboo wrote:
Wow , a thread about why you are not buying something because you think it is crap , not that you have heard it , because it is crap , not that you have heard it , because it is crap not that...................................

You people , you must never read half the threads , i think you just post , like e-bay fever , you just keep bidding , even when you could have bought it cheaper new, If you didn't buy it , i don't give a flying fig why , this ain't no topic .

And yet you just posted in it.

PostPosted: Sun April 9th, 2017, 20:15 GMT 

I know ! You know why ?

PostPosted: Sun April 9th, 2017, 20:17 GMT 

jimboo wrote:
I know ! You know why ?

Because we're mad as hell and we're not gonna take it anymore!!!

PostPosted: Sun April 9th, 2017, 20:26 GMT 

RichardW wrote:
"Why I haven't bought Triplicate" - because I've lost all interest in what Dylan is doing.

goodnitesteve makes an interesting point above - why like "Moonlight" but not this stuff?

I'll try and answer. When "Love and Theft" appeared it was a huge and refreshing change from what Dylan had done before. The songs like "Moonlight" and "Bye and Bye" were completely different to what he'd done before, and he mixed in several other styles on the alterate songs. The album sounds like someone throwing every style they've ever heard and loved, and Dylan seems to be present in every style. And the band was so unbelievably brilliant (I think Kemper and Campbell blow away Recelli, Kimball and Herron). The band swings, and it hasn't swung since then.

I found Modern Times hugely disappointing. It was an attempt to repeat the "Love and Theft" trick and it fails. I love "Moonlight" and I don't like "Spirit of the Water" or "Beyond the Horizon". For a while I used to listen to a version of Modern Times which involved listening only to alternate tracks. Then I stopped entirely. I think it is to self-conscious an attempt - too studied.

Together Through Life was also a disappointing. It had a bit more life to it, but seemed under-developed with some very boring and routine songs.

Tempest - I really tried to like it, but it wore me out. It just doesn't work for me. It seems a fairly conscious effort to start doing again what he used to do, and he fails.

And since then, Sinatra covers. I'd lost interest in Dylan crooning on the Bing Crosy songs on Modern Times - albums and albums of stuff like "Beyond The Horizon" is simply painful.

And there is so much MORE music in the world than Dylan. He has made the best albums ever, but there is so much music that is better than Modern Times let alone the stuff that has come since. Why listen to Triplicate when you could listen to something else?

I may be bizarre, but my favourite Dylan album since "Love and Theft" is Christmas in The Heart. And that's because it is so incredibly weird. The Sinatra stuff isn't weird, it doesn't involve Dylan doing anything he hasn't done before, and it is so tame.

Your experiences pretty much mirror my own, except even on Love and Theft I felt that there were too many of these 'western swing' 'crooner' type songs. Modern Times was the first Dylan album I bought at the time of its release and was actively disappointed by. Together Through Life has some ok songs, and some truly awful ones. Tempest, I just don't enjoy listening to, and I have tried...numerous times... As for the Sinatra stuff, it's ok, but we don't need five albums and, the fact is, none of the subsequent for have topped the original release of Shadows...Oh, and I did buy Triplicate btw, and have gave it numerous spins.

PostPosted: Mon April 10th, 2017, 09:13 GMT 

I have Triplicate and have listened through a few times.

I was prepared to loath it because I thought it would be more of same from Shadows and Fallen.

In a way it is but it is WAY better the singing the playing the overall mood and atmosphere its as if he finally cracked this genre, some of the singing is just exquisite.

There are clunkers it is 30 tracks after all but there are also gems that I for one am very happy to hear Dylan sing.

Don't get me wrong I cannot wait and hope for a new album of originals, however don't dismiss Triplicate its a remarkable achievement and very well worth its place in the cannon.

I think the liner notes sums it up Great Album

PostPosted: Mon April 10th, 2017, 10:04 GMT 
Promethium Member

Bought it on day one played it once , then no more

PostPosted: Mon April 10th, 2017, 10:21 GMT 

MartinR sums up my feelings exactly. Far better than I had expected.
A genuine pleasure. I find myself unearthing new pleasures on repeated
listenings.

PostPosted: Mon April 10th, 2017, 13:41 GMT 

McG wrote:
You can have my free copy for a fiver. Oh wait, I seem to have deleted it.

Thanks for the very generous offer, Ben! Unlike some, I'm happy to pay for the legal physical product, it just needs to fall to the right price for my budget, and I'm sure it will soon enough.

PostPosted: Tue April 11th, 2017, 14:14 GMT 

OK, I've been sceptical about the whole "Dylan does standards" project; I love Dylan, and I love the "songbook", but I felt they weren't a good fit for each other. But I'm coming round to the idea. I'm currently on an epic trawl through listening to Bob's entire catalogue (while reading Shelton, Williams, Heylin, et al). To my slight surprise, I've found myself enjoying albums that I'd previously dismissed (particularly the 80s stuff). I'm currently up to 1989, and I'm looking forward to everything to come - including the 'Sinatra' albums. Basically, I've remembered that I just like what Bob does. Some records more than others, sure, but I do like all of it. Unless he does hip hop.

PostPosted: Tue April 11th, 2017, 15:08 GMT 

Is there anyone on this thread who *hasn't* bought TRIPLICATE? Or who hasn't got it via some other means? It's interesting that the people who hate it most seem to have all rushed out to acquire either the album or a download and frequently did so before the album was released.

PostPosted: Tue April 11th, 2017, 15:50 GMT 

patford wrote:
Is there anyone on this thread who *hasn't* bought TRIPLICATE? Or who hasn't got it via some other means? It's interesting that the people who hate it most seem to have all rushed out to acquire either the album or a download and frequently did so before the album was released.

Me.

I did listen to the few tracks that were briefly made available pre-release on line at, I think it was NPR or some such. I can't say what I heard was my cup of tea particularly, unlike several of the performances on SITN which I enjoyed immensely, but I'm happy to buy it when it's the right price.

Of course, I'll take a free donation of the physical product from anyone who can't bear to have it sully his/her shelf...

PostPosted: Tue April 11th, 2017, 16:28 GMT 

patford wrote:

If a Bob Dylan album gets released in a forest and nobody hears it, can it still be crap?

PostPosted: Tue April 11th, 2017, 16:29 GMT 

patford wrote:

I haven't and won't until I get my price and I'm in the right mood. My Dylan buy-on-release-day era ended with Tempest (and should have ended with Modern Timrod). The thrill is gone.

I have no issue with ole Bob singing his favorites once his writing is in eclipse. As he's said more than once, he's written lots of songs. I even thought the samples sounded OK but there are other things I would buy before I bought Triplicate.

PostPosted: Tue April 11th, 2017, 16:51 GMT 

I can confirm that as of this moment in time Triplicate is the only Dylan album of new material that I don't have in my collection.

PostPosted: Tue April 11th, 2017, 17:23 GMT 

pol2jem wrote:
but I'm happy to buy it when it's the right price.

There are a bunch of fairly recent Dylan discs I've passed on due to the price or general disinterest. I passed on THE CUTTING EDGE because I wanted the six disc version and considered it overpriced. Around two months ago I was able to pick it up with some damage to the packaging for $50. I still haven't purchased the BASEMENT TAPES set for the same reason. The multiple disc version was priced outrageously and I've never cared for The Band. And most recently I passed on all version of the Live 1966 material because I already have the BOOTLEG SERIES Vol. 4. And I would have passed on THE WHITMARK DEMOS if I had known how lackluster those performances are compared to the studio and live recordings.
TRIPLICATE was less than $20 when I purchased it.

PostPosted: Tue April 11th, 2017, 19:21 GMT 

patford wrote:
pol2jem wrote:
but I'm happy to buy it when it's the right price.

There are a bunch of fairly recent Dylan discs I've passed on due to the price or general disinterest. I passed on THE CUTTING EDGE because I wanted the six disc version and considered it overpriced. Around two months ago I was able to pick it up with some damage to the packaging for $50. I still haven't purchased the BASEMENT TAPES set for the same reason. The multiple disc version was priced outrageously and I've never cared for The Band. And most recently I passed on all version of the Live 1966 material because I already have the BOOTLEG SERIES Vol. 4. And I would have passed on THE WHITMARK DEMOS if I had known how lackluster those performances are compared to the studio and live recordings.
TRIPLICATE was less than $20 when I purchased it.

:) I think I understand. For me it's a (perhaps delicate) balance of price, interest, and also now the realities of retirement and shocking interest rates, I suppose, even though I'm what you might call a completist. Yes, definitely a completist..., or do I really mean completist idiot? I mean, I have something like 20 different issues of Blonde on Blonde, for example, so it's possible I'm the only person who thinks I am sane.

Since I can't remember when exactly, but definitely in the 1960's, I have purchased Bob-product on the release date, or at least as soon as I was able to get to a store, often paying inflated airport prices immediately upon returning home from some far off overseas foray in a jungle or swamp or desert or mountain range. I bought the 18-disc Cutting Edge and the 6-disc Cutting Edge. The cost of the 18-wheeler was painful, for sure, and it made me angry for a while, but I soon got over that. I picked up the 2-disc Cutting Edge later when it was on a special deal somewhere or other. (Roger Ford's comprehensive commentary on The Cutting Edge recordings, published in Isis magazine last year, is masterful, by the way - a priceless companion to the sessions - and knocks the official book into a cocked hat).

Complete Basement Tapes was a day-of-release purchase for me regardless of the cost (and given the cost of some 6CD sets on the market I thought it was relatively reasonably-priced), as was Witmark Demos and all the other BS releases, including the outrageously-priced 3-disc Tell Tale Signs. The 1966 Live Recordings was a no-brainer as far as I was concerned. £100 for that 36-disc box was simply a dream; there are so many great performances in that set, for me it's immaterial that the set list is the same each night. Quality and quantity in a beautiful box for peanuts. (I could buy it today for £90, but I wouldn't have wanted to wait that long.) The Complete Album Collection Vol.1 box was similarly competitively-priced, I thought; and The Original Mono Recordings box was also a delight.

For me, $20 (or £16.99 as it was over here) is too much to pay for Triplicate at the moment. It may seem a bizarre, even nonsensical, statement to make, given that I paid £80 for the 3CD Tell Tale Signs (and also purchased the single-disc and 2-disc versions when they became available at low prices). I want to own Triplicate, and one day I will. I want to listen to it in its entirety, rather than just the selections I heard on NPR, and I'd like to appreciate it. I can certainly afford to buy it at its current price, but I can wait, and the longer I wait the less expensive it'll be. Fallen Angels is less than a year old and already it retails for half the original retail price.

Also, the less I spend on Triplicate the more food I'll be able to buy for my ducks. :)

#

PostPosted: Tue April 11th, 2017, 19:46 GMT 

pol2jem wrote:
For me, $20 (or £16.99 as it was over here) is too much to pay for Triplicate at the moment. It may seem a bizarre, even nonsensical, statement to make, given that I paid £80 for the 3CD Tell Tale Signs (and also purchased the single-disc and 2-disc versions when they became available at low prices). [...] I can certainly afford to buy it at its current price, but I can wait, and the longer I wait the less expensive it'll be.

I didn't read through the rest of the thread, but this basically sums up the reason why I haven't bought Triplicate yet. I could certainly afford to pay 20€ for these 3discs, but right now, this release isn't worth that price for me. I'm sure I'll buy it at some point, but I'll probably wait for the price to come down a bit. Until then, I'll keep spending my money on the current tour.

PostPosted: Tue April 11th, 2017, 21:42 GMT 
Titanium Member

This is how I look at it. $20 is peanuts.
Even if it cost $20 and was worth $15 it would make no difference.

PostPosted: Tue April 11th, 2017, 21:52 GMT 

carnap wrote:
This is how I look at it. $20 is peanuts.
Even if it cost $20 and was worth $15 it would make no difference.

That's not how I look at it. But I would prefer not to look at it at all.

PostPosted: Wed April 12th, 2017, 00:07 GMT 
Titanium Member

If that's not how you look at it, how do you look at it?

PostPosted: Wed April 12th, 2017, 01:07 GMT 

pol2jem wrote:
It may seem a bizarre, even nonsensical, statement to make, given that I paid £80 for the 3CD Tell Tale Signs (and also purchased the single-disc and 2-disc versions when they became available at low prices).
#

I completely understand and I confess that I bought the el cheapo 2 disk Tell Tale Signs and traded for the third disk which I have annotated but not really listened to. Witmark makes perfect sense. That set is historic and not histrionic.

PostPosted: Wed April 12th, 2017, 01:32 GMT 
Promethium Member

Someone will joke-gift me Triplets sometime and I will stash it with Fallen Shadows & Xmas Thru the Heart.

PostPosted: Wed April 12th, 2017, 15:05 GMT 

patford wrote:

I haven't. Heard a couple excerpts on the net and thought that this is another Christmas in the Heart, which I haven't either. I really don't understand why Dylan must yodel those worn-out jingles. Hope Dylan himself knows what he's doing and this is no dotage yet.

PostPosted: Wed April 12th, 2017, 16:41 GMT 
Titanium Member

Futile Horn,

If you get or don't get Triplicate, that's one thing. But you MUST get Christmas in the Heart. It's one of the best albums there ever was.

PostPosted: Wed April 12th, 2017, 17:00 GMT 
Titanium Member

P.S. I only remember one song on which Bob yodeled but I don't recall which song that was. Yodeling is good but it takes a lot of skill. Frank Ifield was very good at it. If you want to hear it done right check out Frank Ifield.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next