Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed December 13th, 2017, 07:18 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu March 16th, 2017, 01:53 GMT 

A link to purchase the Alan Lomax 'Root Hog Or Die' box set online (as a whole or as individual tracks) was posted on the front page here the other day. Exciting news, as this was a very rare and expensive LP box set that was finally made available to buy digitally (and affordably). However, the track list on the website seems to omit the most enticing track, the previously unreleased 'Masters of War' Dylan recorded in Alan Lomax's apartment in 1963. Am I just overlooking it or is it really not available here? Link:

https://alanlomaxarchive.bandcamp.com/a ... -tribute-2

If anybody can see something I'm missing let me know, I'm keen to find this version of 'Masters'. It's one of the last remaining elusive '60's tracks out there for me!

PostPosted: Thu March 16th, 2017, 02:10 GMT 

i don't see it either. i've been trying to obtain a lossless rip of this as well. if i ever come across, it i'll let you know. please do the same for me!

-justin

PostPosted: Thu March 16th, 2017, 05:11 GMT 

please include me as well. I too will share if i get it.

PostPosted: Thu March 23rd, 2017, 02:00 GMT 

Despite the fact that the album is billed as 100 songs, the original vinyl seems to have 101. The download has only 100 leaving out Masters Of War. :|

PostPosted: Fri March 24th, 2017, 13:04 GMT 

Is this the same
http://research.culturalequity.org/get- ... sortBy=abc

PostPosted: Sat March 25th, 2017, 17:37 GMT 

Planet wave, I think it exactly the track that is on the vinyl collection. If you click on the track, it goes to another page with detailed info about the track. Pretty cool if you ask me. Now I want it even more.

PostPosted: Sat March 25th, 2017, 22:26 GMT 

workingmanblues wrote:
Planet wave, I think it exactly the track that is on the vinyl collection. If you click on the track, it goes to another page with detailed info about the track. Pretty cool if you ask me. Now I want it even more.

It would be intriguing to hear Bob's commentary. On another thread here I think it was indicated that the commentary wasn't included on the Root Hog Or Die album.

PostPosted: Sat March 25th, 2017, 23:47 GMT 

pol2jem wrote:
workingmanblues wrote:

It would be intriguing to hear Bob's commentary. On another thread here I think it was indicated that the commentary wasn't included on the Root Hog Or Die album.

The vinyl album in the box set definitely DOES NOT have the commentary ... just the musical track.

PostPosted: Mon March 27th, 2017, 19:51 GMT 

The whole track is streamed here:

http://www.juno.co.uk/products/alan-lom ... 593336-01/

I think it is meant to be just a clip but, a bit oddly, if you click on other bits of the wave file it will play the whole track.

PostPosted: Tue March 28th, 2017, 04:11 GMT 

So, I was able to get the song from there, albeit only 30 seconds at a time, which I was able to use to rebuild it (very carefully!). But it seems to start on the phrase "ar" as if the "masters of w" gets cut off. Is that how it is on the album?

PostPosted: Mon April 3rd, 2017, 00:55 GMT 

bump

PostPosted: Thu May 25th, 2017, 19:09 GMT 

mikeja75 wrote:
The vinyl album in the box set definitely DOES NOT have the commentary ... just the musical track.

On the basis that if you don't ask you won't get, I wrote to The Association for Cultural Equity 2 months ago asking for a recording or a transcript of the conversation between Bob and Alan Lomax for research purposes.

http://research.culturalequity.org/get- ... sortBy=abc

I got the reply today:-

Dear P****

Sorry for the slow response of this, but it took awhile to get an answer. We have been asked by Dylan's management not to share the audio or transcript of the interview with Lomax.

#

PostPosted: Thu May 25th, 2017, 20:47 GMT 

afilosa09 wrote:
So, I was able to get the song from there, albeit only 30 seconds at a time, which I was able to use to rebuild it (very carefully!). But it seems to start on the phrase "ar" as if the "masters of w" gets cut off. Is that how it is on the album?

No -- the version on the vinyl album kind of starts "in progress" but includes the full word "masters" at the start of the song. If your cut-and-paste doesn't include the full word, then you don't have it all.

PostPosted: Fri May 26th, 2017, 13:16 GMT 

afilosa09 wrote:

I zoomed in on the clip by a lot, to see if placing the cursor would be more accurate. Best I could get was 'asters of war' - I think, from the stream, the 'm' is missing.

PostPosted: Fri August 11th, 2017, 03:24 GMT 

Thanks for the info. I think a vinyl rip would still be the ideal!