Expecting Rain
http://www.expectingrain.com/discussions/

Opinions of Shadows In The Night, Fallen Angels, Triplicate
http://www.expectingrain.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=90061
Page 7 of 8

Author:  Alouette [ Fri March 31st, 2017, 23:47 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Opinions of Shadows In The Night, Fallen Angels, Triplic

Just got home & found it in mailbox.
Listening to - My one & only love. Sounds beautiful
His insuppressible spirit really is baked into every moonstruck moment
thank you Bob Dylan :D
TGIF
Have a great weekend everybody around the world on ER

Author:  smoke [ Sat April 1st, 2017, 01:29 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Opinions of Shadows In The Night, Fallen Angels, Triplic

A Merry Llama wrote:
He was there! I saw him! But not like I saw him smoking a cigarette behind the Cadillac palace whilst I was riding my bike after departing your fine company that night!

Very much hoping he reprises his theater tour this fall.


What a good night that was!

Author:  Bejitto [ Thu October 26th, 2017, 03:27 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Opinions of Shadows In The Night, Fallen Angels, Triplic

I think his live Restless Farewell from Sinatra's 80th should have been included as a bonus on one of these. Came on in the truck today, and made me think it could have fit nicely somewhere.

Author:  dvdunplugged [ Thu October 26th, 2017, 08:34 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Opinions of Shadows In The Night, Fallen Angels, Triplic

I still can't get into my head why people are saying that this is the music that inspired Dylan, there's me thinking it was all the good old boys on the country / folk circuit were his inspiration for him and all his cronies in the Greenwich Village scene. I thought it was the music of the likes of Hank Snow, Pete Seeger, Hank Williams and Woody Guthrie that inspired him - not the Great American songbook.
I suppose after he entertained his audience singing traditional folk songs and some self written songs he returned to his one room flat, had beans on toast and listened to Sinatra records. I don't think so - how could he have faced the purists in the morning. I always thought of him as a song and dance man but can't reconcile myself that the American songbook was the music that truly inspired him.
Don't get me wrong - I love a lot of those songs and a one album nod would have been a nice tribute but to end up with a 30 song package is just too much to bear. I never thought I'd be looking forward to BS Vol 13 so much - The Gospel Era is not my fave period but at least it's original!

Author:  gibsona07 [ Fri February 2nd, 2018, 18:05 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Opinions of Shadows In The Night, Fallen Angels, Triplic

Just listening to Fallen Angels now. I always really enjoy listening to Shadows in the Night and Fallen Angels. They really are lovely pieces of work, even if I don't spin them too often. It must also be said that the vinyl pressings sound magnificent. Some of the best sounding records I've heard.

Despite this, I've only listened to triplicate once. It's just so big and impenetrable.

Author:  wormington [ Fri February 2nd, 2018, 19:48 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Opinions of Shadows In The Night, Fallen Angels, Triplic

gibsona07 wrote:
Just listening to Fallen Angels now. I always really enjoy listening to Shadows in the Night and Fallen Angels. They really are lovely pieces of work, even if I don't spin them too often. It must also be said that the vinyl pressings sound magnificent. Some of the best sounding records I've heard.

Despite this, I've only listened to triplicate once. It's just so big and impenetrable.

Listen to the Gibz! totally agree. They don´t make me jump and shout of excitement, but I´m glad I have them. Perfect listen for a melancholic sunday evening.
Still haven´t bought Triplicate, but I know I will enjoy it too

Author:  TheBoiledGutsofBirds [ Fri February 2nd, 2018, 23:52 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Opinions of Shadows In The Night, Fallen Angels, Triplic

I've tried to like them (listened to all again just this week 3-4 spins each), but the music is just too slow and boring. "Lucky Old Sun" is the one song that stands out the most for me. I love that song. The rest just sound too alike. "There's a Flaw in my Flue" sorry don't care, hope you get it fixed. Then there's the fact that all these songs could have fit onto 2 CDs instead of 5............. One album of the best songs from the 3 albums would have been enough for me.

Bob and all his 1960s contemporaries brought on the end of this style of music. I, for one, don't miss it. Tempest is way, way better than these albums.

Author:  Still Go Barefoot [ Sat February 3rd, 2018, 01:49 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Opinions of Shadows In The Night, Fallen Angels, Triplic

TheBoiledGutsofBirds wrote:
I've tried to like them, ...but the music is just too slow and boring.

I know, it drives me crazy that there’s Bob out there that I don’t like.

TheBoiledGutsofBirds wrote:
Bob and all his 1960s contemporaries brought on the end of this style of music. I, for one, don't miss it.

I know.
I could never stand Lawrence Welk & then our boy goes Lawrence Welk!

And...I know I shouldn’t continue posting about this ...maybe it’s my way of
going through mourning.

On this New Mourning, with you.

Author:  Ain't Talkin' [ Sat February 3rd, 2018, 01:57 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Opinions of Shadows In The Night, Fallen Angels, Triplic

Welk remained on TV and kickin' it into the 1980's. Dylan and his cohorts didn't quicken any 'end' there.

Author:  Still Go Barefoot [ Sat February 3rd, 2018, 02:46 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Opinions of Shadows In The Night, Fallen Angels, Triplic

Ain't Talkin' wrote:
Welk remained on TV and kickin' it into the 1980's. Dylan and his cohorts didn't quicken any 'end' there.

Can you restate that some other way please, Talkin?
I’m a little slow.
I have no idea what you are trying to say.

Author:  Ain't Talkin' [ Sat February 3rd, 2018, 02:58 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Opinions of Shadows In The Night, Fallen Angels, Triplic

I was responding to this :

Still Go Barefoot wrote:

TheBoiledGutsofBirds wrote:
Bob and all his 1960s contemporaries brought on the end of this style of music. I, for one, don't miss it.

I know. I could never stand Lawrence Welk & then our boy goes Lawrence Welk!



Ain't Talkin' wrote:
Welk remained on TV and kickin' it into the 1980's. Dylan and his cohorts didn't quicken any 'end' there.


:D

Author:  Still Go Barefoot [ Sat February 3rd, 2018, 03:02 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Opinions of Shadows In The Night, Fallen Angels, Triplic

I know. I’m not THAT slow.
So what are you saying?

Author:  Ain't Talkin' [ Sat February 3rd, 2018, 03:09 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Opinions of Shadows In The Night, Fallen Angels, Triplic

Can't really explain any other way. It'll just have to remain a question mark.

Author:  Still Go Barefoot [ Sat February 3rd, 2018, 03:23 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Opinions of Shadows In The Night, Fallen Angels, Triplic

OK, wouldn’t want you to put yourself out.

Ain't Talkin' wrote:
Dylan and his cohorts didn't quicken any 'end' there.

Since the person that wrote it can’t explain,
can someone else please translate the quoted sentence?

Author:  Loose Fur [ Sat February 3rd, 2018, 04:01 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Opinions of Shadows In The Night, Fallen Angels, Triplic

These albums are great.

I think even this amount of time has been generous to Fallen Angels (side two is dynamite, plus I am a sucker for "Young at Heart." Cried eating my cereal the first time I heard "Maybe You'll Be There" on the npr stream before work).

Triplicate is just such an awesome hybrid of the two paces and tones of SITN and FA. Makes sense given that even the first two albums were recorded together.

And my god the band just has some astonishing moments on Triplicate. The first side! The last side! "The Best is Yet to Come," "When the World Was Young!"

Thank fracking god for Bob and Band and these offerings. And chill out if you think they interfered with you getting a batch of new original recordings.

Author:  Desolation Row [ Sat February 3rd, 2018, 09:11 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Opinions of Shadows In The Night, Fallen Angels, Triplic

My own opinion is that these albums are lovely.I can understand Triplicate being daunting but to be honest theres a lot of stuff there that Im glad he didnt leave off the cutting room floor.

As for this music not bein stuff he listened to, the conclusion you got from theme time is that young Bob was like a musical sponge and that his musical world didnt just revolve around people like Hank Williams or Woody who we know were huge influences.

Of course the natural conclusion is that Tempest is a better record than all these, but I reckon it would be a hard record to follow up its that good. and by going off in this direction did he not wrong foot everyone by doing something unexpected?

Id rather he made albums like these than where he went in the 80s where he seemed completely uninspired, but if you preferred Down In the groove or Knocked out loaded dont worry because this phase is over.

Author:  gerardv [ Sat February 3rd, 2018, 10:52 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Opinions of Shadows In The Night, Fallen Angels, Triplic

If Shadows had been followed up with 1 disk containing the
best of Triplicate, the standards phase would have been a real
victory, as was the case with the two blues/folk albums in the
1990s.
Because these standards albums were not rigorously edited,
we end up with a collection that is bit samey and even tedious.
Yes the individual performances may be fine but for a 5-cd
collection there is not sufficient variety in instrumentation and
execution.

Author:  Ain't Talkin' [ Sat February 3rd, 2018, 19:59 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Opinions of Shadows In The Night, Fallen Angels, Triplic

gerardv wrote:
Because these standards albums were not rigorously edited,
we end up with a collection that is bit samey and even tedious.
Yes the individual performances may be fine but for a 5-cd
collection there is not sufficient variety in instrumentation and
execution.


Sez it all right there ! One could go round and round in discussions of these albums, and probably will on this forum even after the rest of the outside world has already yawned and moved on, but those are the among the most salient points / criticisms.

Author:  yolacrary [ Sat February 3rd, 2018, 20:56 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Opinions of Shadows In The Night, Fallen Angels, Triplic

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
OK, wouldn’t want you to put yourself out.

Ain't Talkin' wrote:
Dylan and his cohorts didn't quicken any 'end' there.

Since the person that wrote it can’t explain,
can someone else please translate the quoted sentence?


Obviously this means that Dylan et al didn't drive that kind of music out, since it persisted well into the 1980s. Pretty straightforward.

In any case, the approach Dylan has taken to his standards albums (about which I have mixed feelings) have nothing to do with Lawrence Welk.

Author:  Mickvet [ Sat February 3rd, 2018, 23:38 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Opinions of Shadows In The Night, Fallen Angels, Triplic

gerardv wrote:
If Shadows had been followed up with 1 disk containing the
best of Triplicate, the standards phase would have been a real
victory, as was the case with the two blues/folk albums in the
1990s.
Because these standards albums were not rigorously edited,
we end up with a collection that is bit samey and even tedious.
Yes the individual performances may be fine but for a 5-cd
collection there is not sufficient variety in instrumentation and
execution.


Yes, that would have been the best way to do it. Perhaps there were contractual obligations that he wanted to get out of the way.

Author:  Still Go Barefoot [ Sun February 4th, 2018, 01:00 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Opinions of Shadows In The Night, Fallen Angels, Triplic

yolacrary wrote:
Obviously this means that Dylan et al didn't drive that kind of music out, since it persisted well into the 1980s. Pretty straightforward.

In any case, the approach Dylan has taken to his standards albums (about which I have mixed feelings) have nothing to do with Lawrence Welk.

OK, thanks Yola.
I can’t help but think Welk every time I have to endure the Standards.

Author:  Still Go Barefoot [ Sun February 4th, 2018, 01:02 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Opinions of Shadows In The Night, Fallen Angels, Triplic

Mickvet wrote:
Perhaps there were contractual obligations that he wanted to get out of the way.

Bingo.

Author:  Desolation Row [ Sun February 4th, 2018, 01:42 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Opinions of Shadows In The Night, Fallen Angels, Triplic

gerardv wrote:
If Shadows had been followed up with 1 disk containing the
best of Triplicate, the standards phase would have been a real
victory, as was the case with the two blues/folk albums in the
1990s.
Because these standards albums were not rigorously edited,
we end up with a collection that is bit samey and even tedious.
Yes the individual performances may be fine but for a 5-cd
collection there is not sufficient variety in instrumentation and
execution.


I was a fan when the two blues folk albums came out in the 1990s and they werent hailed as a real victory at the time, infact the reaction was pretty similar to how it is now which is why I read all the criticisms with a big smile on my face because its deja vu. Even Under The Red sky gets defended as being an ok album now when that most definately wasnt the reaction to it when it came out.

Now quite often World Gone Wrong is hailed as an important album in helping Bob find the ability to connect to his muse but it took him 7 years to follow it up so maybe its just about Dylan fans having a change of heart again.

On two albums of just Bob backing himself on guitar and harmonica on two songs that means theres even less variety in instrumentation and execution than on these last few albums which see him with a full band and thus more instrumention.

Im actually not criticising Good As I been to you and World Gone Wrong I like them both but there was a period of adjustment in the reaction to those records because fans never expected to hear Bob back with an acoustic guitar, just like they dont expect him tackling songs from the American Songbook.

Author:  Still Go Barefoot [ Sun February 4th, 2018, 02:37 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Opinions of Shadows In The Night, Fallen Angels, Triplic

Desolation Row wrote:
Good As I been to you and World Gone Wrong
...there was a period of adjustment in the reaction to those records because fans never expected to hear Bob back with an acoustic guitar, just like they dont expect him tackling songs from the American Songbook.

Finding it very difficult to equate these two
experiences and try to make them analogous.

Not how I remember it.

Author:  Desolation Row [ Sun February 4th, 2018, 10:04 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Opinions of Shadows In The Night, Fallen Angels, Triplic

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Desolation Row wrote:
Good As I been to you and World Gone Wrong
...there was a period of adjustment in the reaction to those records because fans never expected to hear Bob back with an acoustic guitar, just like they dont expect him tackling songs from the American Songbook.

Finding it very difficult to equate these two
experiences and try to make them analogous.

Not how I remember it.


Thats the trouble most of the posts from people who dont like the last three records are from fans that cant seem to remember their initial reaction to a Dylan record when it came out. At the shows that Ive been too where I socialise with older fans and dont get me wrong its brilliant to hear their experiences but everyone of those older fans has always liked Self Portrait for instance from the moment it came out , and we all know thats bullshit. We all know that repeated plays of it over the last fourty years or so have meant they changed their opinions.

If Expecting rain had existed back at the time of Under the red sky, Good As I been to you and World Gone Wrong the threads would mainly read like this is right now. My money is on this whole period becoming more appreciated especially once Bob leaves us, because the history books tell it and they tell it so well. that Dylan fans nearly always warm to records they didnt initially like.

Page 7 of 8 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/