Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat November 25th, 2017, 03:42 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun March 26th, 2017, 23:24 GMT 

And the haters gonna hate hate hate hate hate.

Did you say Taylor Swift?

PostPosted: Mon March 27th, 2017, 00:06 GMT 

goodmeats wrote:
I am amazed that the haters want Bob to fail with Triplicate instead of keeping an open mind

That's mental. Nobody wants Bob to fail. I'm pulling for Bob to come out with an excellent, compelling record. From the 10 songs we have heard so far, it's not Triplicate.

PostPosted: Mon March 27th, 2017, 08:11 GMT 

kuddukan wrote:
And the haters gonna hate hate hate hate hate.

Did you say Taylor Swift?

Congratulations, your lifetime subscription is in the post, good sir! https://www.bunker-mentality.com/

PostPosted: Mon March 27th, 2017, 10:41 GMT 

It's 2017 people! You either love something or you hate it! Especially on the Internet! You haters!

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon March 27th, 2017, 11:13 GMT 
Promethium Member

I reserve the right to think something is "ok", which is how I felt about the last 2 albums and expect to feel about this one.

PostPosted: Mon March 27th, 2017, 18:26 GMT 

Looking at the lists of songs, Bob doesn't seem to have chosen any by the Gershwins. My favourites. I wonder why? Sinatra did perform some of them. http://www.jazzmessengers.com/en/70721/ ... e-gershwin
Many others are for female singers.

PostPosted: Wed March 29th, 2017, 05:11 GMT 

I can listen to some roots music for the intellectual curiosity, even appreciate it on occasion. Some of it is clearly fantastic timeless stuff, but mostly it's there to inform the future, it's history, musicology, you can't listen to the old timey as if it were your music unless you lived that time, and that's people who are older than Bob I'd say.

When Bob would play a standard earlier in his career, like the folky version of Soon from 87, it seemed like a guy with just the slightest amount of time for sentimentality and bugger all for reverence. Hey a good tune is a good tune and those old pre-war jazz pop songs are hell fun to play, it's gotta get boring to just play the same old folk blues changes year after year, plus it was a nice juxtaposition against all the folk and rock and blues stuff to hear a song like I'm Glad I Got To See You Once Again or The Times We've Known or Blue Bonnet Girl.

I think Dylan went from the folk blues stuff in the late 80's and early 90's, into the Supper Club era, same source of songs but played entirely in a bluegrass style, which then led him to actual bluegrass and bluegrass gospel bands, particularly the Stanley Brothers. This led him to western swing or texas swing and back to Jimmy Rodgers. Well all those old country swing guys were playing similar songs to what was popular in city swing bands, it's not a big leap. And if you're listening to swing singers like Sarah Vaughan then you're gonna listen to Sinatra.

I'm sure Bob's been into this stuff all his life and now he's probably sick of killing us all off or threatening murder in his lyrics that he's just lightening up and singing some very relaxing mellow cheesy old love ballads.

Maybe I'll listen to them when I'm 80.

PostPosted: Wed March 29th, 2017, 17:14 GMT 

Dylaned wrote:
It's 2017 people! You either love something or you hate it! Especially on the Internet! You haters!

:lol:

Too true, what ever happened to glorious ambivalence?

PostPosted: Wed March 29th, 2017, 17:40 GMT 
Titanium Member

^ the 'meh' meme killed it

PostPosted: Wed March 29th, 2017, 18:27 GMT 

littlemaggie wrote:
Wrong. Jazz is as dead a musical genre as D'oyly Carte opera or doo-wop.

Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny. Frank Zappa said that, and sadly he is dead (not sure how he smells).

I tried to listen to Shadows in the Night - all of it - and I tried one or two tracks off Fallen Angels, and one or two tracks off Triplicate.

I simply hate this type of music. It seems to me the opposite of real music. It is too contrived, too calculated, totally lacking in genuine emotion. Dylan's performances don't help. His band sounds dull - incredibly skilled but dull. As professional as a talented embalmer. Dylan sings plain badly. Simply singing in tune does not make it great singing - for most performers it is the bare minimum requirement. (Part of the uniqueness of Dylan is that we are surprised when his singing is this bland).

Easy listening crooning is simply not a good musical genre. One part of what I love about 60s music is that it consigned this type of drivel to history. One part of what I hate about music today is people are bringing this easy listening dross back. There's nothing different here from Michael Bublé or Robbie Williams.

PostPosted: Wed March 29th, 2017, 21:09 GMT 

Random ER forum-goer: Yeah, this stuff is fine, doesn't do much for me. I hope the greatest living popular songwriter puts out an album of originals soon. Anyway, this new album probably won't have too much of an impact on my life. Cheers.

Random standards backer: HERE IS SOME GASOLINE. DRINK IT AND ALSO DOUSE YOURSELF IN IT. HERE IS A ZIPPO. LIGHT YOURSELF ON FIRE. AFTER YOU ARE NO LONGER ALIVE, WE WILL HAVE A BEAR EAT YOUR ASHES YOU MONSTER.

PostPosted: Wed March 29th, 2017, 21:12 GMT 

Md23Rewls wrote:
Random ER forum-goer: Yeah, this stuff is fine, doesn't do much for me. I hope the greatest living popular songwriter puts out an album of originals soon. Anyway, this new album probably won't have too much of an impact on my life. Cheers.

Random standards backer: HERE IS SOME GASOLINE. DRINK IT AND ALSO DOUSE YOURSELF IN IT. HERE IS A ZIPPO. LIGHT YOURSELF ON FIRE. AFTER YOU ARE NO LONGER ALIVE, WE WILL HAVE A BEAR EAT YOUR ASHES YOU MONSTER.

::headscratch::

Should we break down the posts in the various threads between violently against standards, meh, and violently for standards? I think we'd find a higher post count for those antagonizing the recent releases than we would for those for the releases.

PostPosted: Wed March 29th, 2017, 21:18 GMT 

TimeandTempo wrote:
Md23Rewls wrote:

::headscratch::

Should we break down the posts in the various threads between violently against standards, meh, and violently for standards? I think we'd find a higher post count for those antagonizing the recent releases than we would for those for the releases.

We probably shouldn't do that. Jokes aside, I would guess that the split is pretty even, with the lean probably toward disliking (or not caring) about this stuff.

However, I would argue that people who are in the hole for X Dylan entity almost always come out swinging harder than those who are ambivalent or uninspired. You are just naturally going to put up more of a fight over something you like than something you don't.

PostPosted: Wed March 29th, 2017, 22:03 GMT 
Promethium Member

Md23Rewls wrote:
You are just naturally going to put up more of a fight over something you like than something you don't.

Long Johnny and Benny disprove that theory all by themselves.

PostPosted: Wed March 29th, 2017, 22:13 GMT 

smoke wrote:
Md23Rewls wrote:
You are just naturally going to put up more of a fight over something you like than something you don't.

Long Johnny and Benny disprove that theory all by themselves.

I suppose the internet in general disproves my theory.

PostPosted: Wed March 29th, 2017, 23:01 GMT 
Titanium Member

Mr. Doug Heselgrave gave Triplicate a super review today - https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/ ... eview.html

'the performances he captured for Triplicate represent, at the same time, the most naked and ego-free music he has ever recorded'

Thank you Bob Dylan
long may you run

PostPosted: Thu March 30th, 2017, 04:21 GMT 

Bob had to wait to release his new album of originals produced by Daniel Lanios until after he got the Noble prize money because this new album contains a track dissing the Noble Prize. It is like Maggie's Farm except he isnt gonna work for the Noble Academy no more

PostPosted: Thu March 30th, 2017, 12:34 GMT 

I will not buy this triple crap

PostPosted: Thu March 30th, 2017, 14:26 GMT 

goodmeats wrote:
Bob had to wait to release his new album of originals produced by Daniel Lanios until after he got the Noble prize money because this new album contains a track dissing the Noble Prize. It is like Maggie's Farm except he isnt gonna work for the Noble Academy no more

"Day of the Gräshoppor"?

PostPosted: Thu March 30th, 2017, 15:38 GMT 
Titanium Member

So, Stu Kimball doesn't appear on the new record. Dean Parks plays second guitar throughout instead. What does this mean? Let the wild speculation commence!

PostPosted: Thu March 30th, 2017, 15:43 GMT 
Titanium Member

I guess they couldn't find a parking spot for the bus

PostPosted: Thu March 30th, 2017, 16:47 GMT 
Promethium Member

Did anyone notice whether Stu was on the fall tour?

PostPosted: Thu March 30th, 2017, 17:09 GMT 
Titanium Member

He was there! I saw him! But not like I saw him smoking a cigarette behind the Cadillac palace whilst I was riding my bike after departing your fine company that night!

Very much hoping he reprises his theater tour this fall.

PostPosted: Thu March 30th, 2017, 17:26 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
So, Stu Kimball doesn't appear on the new record. Dean Parks plays second guitar throughout instead. What does this mean? Let the wild speculation commence!

Stu hasn't been on "Together Through Life" and the Christmas record either and yet seven years on, he is/was still in the band. I wouldn't read to much into it.

Also, considering the credits on "Tripclate" seem to be kind of sloppy, I wouldn't be surprised if he is on the record, but they failed to mention him.

PostPosted: Thu March 30th, 2017, 18:15 GMT 

And don't forget Triplicate was recorded in early 2016 and Stu remained on the tour after so it's not as if there has been a parting of the ways. I'd lay money Stu will be there on Sat evening.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next