Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat November 25th, 2017, 03:46 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat March 4th, 2017, 03:04 GMT 

We were talking about star wars I guess. I'm a Darth Vader fan, he was a good boy when he was Anakin Skywalker. Oh man, this is not the movies thread!

Well, I'm the Drifter then. I hope the bolt of lighting will be on my side on the outtakes too. :D

PostPosted: Sat March 4th, 2017, 04:59 GMT 
Promethium Member

Some JWH nuggets would be a pleasant surprise.

PostPosted: Sat March 4th, 2017, 13:59 GMT 

goodmeats wrote:
I remember reading somewhere, I think on hERe, that the guy who runs the Dylan archive heard the outtakes and said that there are alternate lyrics to All Along The Watchtower. If that is true, I think that is the holy grail for Dylan fans after all the bootleg series releases (especially the basement tapes). That is why I am interested in the JWH outtakes,

Hearing alternate lyrics to any of the songs, particularly All Along the Watchtower, would be incredible. Unlike the boring throw it all at the wall approach of the Cutting Edge, we might just be able to hear more of Dylan's careful, precise writing. I remember reading Dylan wanted to make John Wesley Harding a 10-minute long ballad, but got bored; I wonder if there's possibly longer takes or alternate lyrics to that song in particular.

PostPosted: Sat March 4th, 2017, 18:43 GMT 

Somebody Naked wrote:
I can't think of a leaner, sparer record than John Wesley Harding. Surely, if there's one record that doesn't need outtakes being released, this is it.

I totally agree, sometimes less is more. I like it that JWH has always been a stand alone unit and wouldn't want to hear lesser tracks from the sessions, or second rate outtakes that might diminish the power of the original album.

PostPosted: Sat March 4th, 2017, 19:06 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
Somebody Naked wrote:
I can't think of a leaner, sparer record than John Wesley Harding. Surely, if there's one record that doesn't need outtakes being released, this is it.

I totally agree, sometimes less is more. I like it that JWH has always been a stand alone unit and wouldn't want to hear lesser tracks from the sessions, or second rate outtakes that might diminish the power of the original album.

I don't mean to be rude, but both posts make absolutely no sense at all. The premises are faulty and contrived. No record "needs" outtakes to be released. And if they are, how can that possibly diminish the power of the original album?

If you like JWH with all it's sparseness, you're not going to be interested in outtakes? And if you don't like the outtakes, it will diminish the original JWH release? Hog wash! i don't buy that for one second.

PostPosted: Sat March 4th, 2017, 22:44 GMT 

Bjorner only says there were four songs recorded in the last JWH session because they don't have the recordings sheets. We have no idea what actually went on that day. And it also says that Watchtower was a splice of take 3 and 5, so there are definitely differences between the takes

http://www.bjorner.com/DSN01620%201967.htm

PostPosted: Sun March 5th, 2017, 00:20 GMT 
Promethium Member

dvdunplugged wrote:
Somebody Naked wrote:

Winter Lude wrote:
I don't mean to be rude, but both posts make absolutely no sense at all. The premises are faulty and contrived. No record "needs" outtakes to be released. And if they are, how can that possibly diminish the power of the original album?

If you like JWH with all it's sparseness, you're not going to be interested in outtakes? And if you don't like the outtakes, it will diminish the original JWH release? Hog wash! i don't buy that for one second.

To disagree is not necessarily rude, Lude.
I see what yer sayin' though. JWH is what it is.
Any outtakes will only make it more interesting IMHO.

PostPosted: Sun March 5th, 2017, 07:57 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
dvdunplugged wrote:
To disagree is not necessarily rude, Lude.

That's so right, and I think sometimes people seem to forget that this is supposed to be a discussion forum and all our likes and dislikes may not conform to one point of view. I thought that the 36CD set of 1966 Live Recordings was a must have, I have no enthusiasm for The Bootleg Series Vol. 13 - The Gospel Years or Triplicate and would much rather see a new original album. I find Budokan quite an easy listen and JWH is my favourite Dylan album. I think that Freewheelin should be re-released as a 2CD set with Disc 2 comprising of outtakes and songs that didn't make the final release but I respect others views on all these subjects.

PostPosted: Fri June 9th, 2017, 20:44 GMT 

Searching for a Gem thinks so
Quote:
6 Jun 2017: More sympathy has to be extended to the family and friends of the latest London atrocities, the second there in two months. Even though the people of London and Manchester have been so badly hurt by these events, extremists should realise they will never ever be cowed. Thanks to Éamonn Ó Catháin for news that, after their cock-up with a white vinyl Highway 61 Revisited earlier this year, FNAC in France will now be selling The Times They Are A-Changin' on white vinyl, to be released on 6 Jun 2017. Sadly, I have to announce a long break from updating this web-site because I have several other projects to work on that have been badly neglected because the high volume of site additions and amendments. No updates will be accepted until the beginning of October 2017. After that we should have a new Bootleg Series release, and probably a 50th Anniversary 1967 release with the John Wesley Harding sessions from Oct-Nov 1967. That will give me plenty to work on without revisiting earlier releases.

http://www.searchingforagem.com/

PostPosted: Fri June 9th, 2017, 22:39 GMT 

goodmeats wrote:
Searching for a Gem thinks so
Quote:
6 Jun 2017: More sympathy has to be extended to the family and friends of the latest London atrocities, the second there in two months. Even though the people of London and Manchester have been so badly hurt by these events, extremists should realise they will never ever be cowed. Thanks to Éamonn Ó Catháin for news that, after their cock-up with a white vinyl Highway 61 Revisited earlier this year, FNAC in France will now be selling The Times They Are A-Changin' on white vinyl, to be released on 6 Jun 2017. Sadly, I have to announce a long break from updating this web-site because I have several other projects to work on that have been badly neglected because the high volume of site additions and amendments. No updates will be accepted until the beginning of October 2017. After that we should have a new Bootleg Series release, and probably a 50th Anniversary 1967 release with the John Wesley Harding sessions from Oct-Nov 1967. That will give me plenty to work on without revisiting earlier releases.

http://www.searchingforagem.com/

The official word still is:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... et-w444654
October 17, 2016

"Next year marks the 50th anniversary of John Wesley Harding, but there won’t be any copyright-protection release of the raw sessions for a simple reason: bootleggers never got their hands on the session tapes."

PostPosted: Sat June 10th, 2017, 00:55 GMT 

My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:

October 17, 2016

"Next year marks the 50th anniversary of John Wesley Harding, but there won’t be any copyright-protection release of the raw sessions for a simple reason: bootleggers never got their hands on the session tapes."

How is the rolling stone official?

PostPosted: Sat June 10th, 2017, 03:09 GMT 

JWH is a top five (maybe ten) Dylan record for me, so I would love to hear anything else that was recorded during the making of it, it would be an instant purchase for me. If alternate lyrics for Watchtower exist, that'd be very interesting to hear. However, my one concern is whether or not there is a ton of material from those sessions. Given that the Basement tapes were recorded around that time, it makes sense if Dylan had some other ideas swimming around in his head while in the studio for JWH, but the stories surrounding it make it seems like there wasn't a ton of room for anything but the songs that were released. It sounded like he had a clear idea of what he wanted to do, and wanted to get right down to it. Of course I could be wrong, and I don't want to sound like a downer. If by chance there's only a few things here and there, they could still release it. Much like Bowie's additional songs for Blackstar being released on the No Plan album.

Regardless, I'm excited and hope that something is released. If anything this thread made me want to listen to the album again, so that's good!

PostPosted: Sat June 10th, 2017, 05:00 GMT 

ShotofMercy wrote:
JWH is a top five (maybe ten) Dylan record for me, so I would love to hear anything else that was recorded during the making of it, it would be an instant purchase for me. If alternate lyrics for Watchtower exist, that'd be very interesting to hear. However, my one concern is whether or not there is a ton of material from those sessions. Given that the Basement tapes were recorded around that time, it makes sense if Dylan had some other ideas swimming around in his head while in the studio for JWH, but the stories surrounding it make it seems like there wasn't a ton of room for anything but the songs that were released. It sounded like he had a clear idea of what he wanted to do, and wanted to get right down to it. Of course I could be wrong, and I don't want to sound like a downer. If by chance there's only a few things here and there, they could still release it. Much like Bowie's additional songs for Blackstar being released on the No Plan album.

Regardless, I'm excited and hope that something is released. If anything this thread made me want to listen to the album again, so that's good!

If you look at the recording sessions for John Wesley Harding, there are not recording sheets for the second session so I don't think it is unreasonable to assume that there was more recorded that we do not know about. I remember reading that the song John Wesley Harding was supposed to be longer, so who knows what we would see

PostPosted: Sat June 10th, 2017, 05:56 GMT 

I suppose if all the JWH outtakes were all on a stand alone 1 or 2 CD set I wouldn't have any real objections. It would keep me occupied until an album of original material was released. I have no interest in either Triplicate or The Gospel Era Bootleg Series.

PostPosted: Sat June 10th, 2017, 07:22 GMT 

goodmeats wrote:
My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:

October 17, 2016

How is the rolling stone official?

The whole article is based on quotes from "a source close to the Dylan camp".

PostPosted: Sun June 11th, 2017, 02:36 GMT 

How about JWH outtakes as a "bonus disk" for Bootleg series 13? Like how the 1963 Brandeis show was released?

PostPosted: Sun June 11th, 2017, 03:04 GMT 

mikepierce wrote:
How about JWH outtakes as a "bonus disk" for Bootleg series 13? Like how the 1963 Brandeis show was released?

That would be great, and would subtly fit in with the gospel theme, considering the biblical aspects of JWH.

I can't imagine there would be a Bootleg Series release of the outtakes, so I don't see why they wouldn't release them? Unless they're saving it for the archive?

PostPosted: Sun June 11th, 2017, 06:08 GMT 

If I recall correctly Dylan ( or someone close to him) said that JWH was a response to what the Beatles and others were doing at the time - more or less drums, bass and guitar. Outwardly simple but just as enduring ( to me) as any of the exploratory stuff others were doing. Recorded in no time flat, versus months of piss-balling about.

PostPosted: Sun June 11th, 2017, 10:49 GMT 

mikepierce wrote:

No thanks, that would mean that I'd have to buy the Gospel Era Bootleg Series and I don't really want it.

PostPosted: Tue June 13th, 2017, 13:38 GMT 

Jelly Roll wrote:
In one of these threads, I think it was in the bootleg 13, I posted news that mutuelles Entreprise, yes, they are planning to release JWH outtakes this year. Most likely, they will be in some limited release, like the first copyright set was.

And there will be a demo version before the launch or it will be put directly on the market.

PostPosted: Tue June 13th, 2017, 19:05 GMT 

acanais65 wrote:
Jelly Roll wrote:
In one of these threads, I think it was in the bootleg 13, I posted news that mutuelles Entreprise, yes, they are planning to release JWH outtakes this year. Most likely, they will be in some limited release, like the first copyright set was.

And there will be a demo version before the launch or it will be put directly on the market.

mutuelles Entreprise????

PostPosted: Tue June 13th, 2017, 23:47 GMT 

Well, I would like to see the still missing tunes of The Basement Tapes, that were not included in the "Complete Box"! :-D Is this possible?

PostPosted: Wed June 14th, 2017, 01:49 GMT 

amonmarktalk wrote:
Well, I would like to see the still missing tunes of The Basement Tapes, that were not included in the "Complete Box"! :-D Is this possible?

What missing songs do you speak of?

PostPosted: Wed June 14th, 2017, 02:31 GMT 

Quote:

mutuelles Entreprise????

I did not write mutuelles Entreprise. I don't even know what that is. Someone edited my post. Weird-o-weird.

PostPosted: Thu June 15th, 2017, 11:55 GMT 

Jelly Roll wrote:
Quote:

mutuelles Entreprise????

I did not write mutuelles Entreprise. I don't even know what that is. Someone edited my post. Weird-o-weird.

It seems a troll hijacked your quote.

I still go by what "Rolling Stone" (quoting "a source") said: There will be no "John Wesley Harding" copyright protection release/anniversary collection.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next