Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon December 11th, 2017, 17:19 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
PostPosted: Sun August 6th, 2017, 14:05 GMT 

depp91 wrote:
I feel this way about the beginning of "Baby, Let Me Follow You Down" from Manchester. That intro is just sublime and everything comes together in a way that it doesn't during the other performances I've heard.

To quote my old forum buddy Zeppelin Crumble:

"Danko's single bass note intro of doom and Mickey Jones' belligerent flaying of those skins on Baby Let Me Follow You Down are IT for me. I-T, IT."

PostPosted: Sun August 6th, 2017, 23:28 GMT 

Here's a list of all the dates that were filmed, excluding the dates I haven't been able to identify. Much credit goes to Somebody Naked for already compiling much of this.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_pG ... 7WxKw/edit

I compiled the video of Edinburgh and shared it on the ETD remastered forum here, which is included. I don't plan on compiling videos for all the other dates as it would take many many hours of which I don't have patience for and to consider all of this stuff is sitting in the archives in Tulsa already synced to sound supposedly!

PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 10:17 GMT 

Wvalebe wrote:
Here's a list of all the dates that were filmed, excluding the dates I haven't been able to identify. Much credit goes to Somebody Naked for already compiling much of this.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_pG ... 7WxKw/edit

I compiled the video of Edinburgh and shared it on the ETD remastered forum here, which is included. I don't plan on compiling videos for all the other dates as it would take many many hours of which I don't have patience for and to consider all of this stuff is sitting in the archives in Tulsa already synced to sound supposedly!

As you know, I'm a real fan of the work and the effort you've committed to, Wvalebe; and I bow to your knowledge on everything Edinburgh; but I don't know what you mean by the following. Do you mean the 1966 Untold Story promo? Can you provide the points in the running times that these refer to?

Dublin

A possibly of I Don’t Believe You, Baby Let Me Follow You Down or Like A Rolling Stone (The 1966 Live Recordings)
Ballad Of A Thin Man (The 1966 Live Recordings)

Cardiff

One Too Many Mornings (NDH)

Newcastle

Paris

Just Like Tom Thumb’s Blues (NDH, Untold Story) - are you sure this isn't RAH1?

Ballad Of A Thin Man (Brief clips of Dylan sitting at the piano appears in ETD)

And do you have a link to the Paris Mr Tambourine Man on mashable.com?

PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 22:31 GMT 

I was originally going to format the document differently (with pictures), but I'll provide images and more details to answer your questions.

Dublin

A possibly of I Don’t Believe You, Baby Let Me Follow You Down or Like A Rolling Stone (The 1966 Live Recordings)
http://i.amz.mshcdn.com/uPNw31zcOZiYdHK ... 2Fbob3.jpg
http://i.amz.mshcdn.com/hyJak17JeDH326S ... 2Fbob8.jpg
Cardiff

Shot from the stage left, same angle as I Don't Believe You, also from this date

Newcastle

NDH video "From the crossroads..." and some of Robbie's solo

Paris

There's film from RAH1 in both NDH and US, but there's also film from Paris shot from a balcony off stage right.

Ballad Of A Thin Man (Brief clip of Dylan sitting at the piano appears in ETD)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwQ2iC ... sp=sharing

http://mashable.com/2016/11/02/bob-dyla ... 0fIGK75OqH (13 seconds, scroll down to view)

PostPosted: Wed August 9th, 2017, 10:06 GMT 

Wvalebe wrote:
I was originally going to format the document differently (with pictures), but I'll provide images and more details to answer your questions.

Dublin

http://i.amz.mshcdn.com/uPNw31zcOZiYdHK ... 2Fbob3.jpg
http://i.amz.mshcdn.com/hyJak17JeDH326S ... 2Fbob8.jpg
Cardiff

Shot from the stage left, same angle as I Don't Believe You, also from this date

Newcastle

NDH video "From the crossroads..." and some of Robbie's solo

Paris

There's film from RAH1 in both NDH and US, but there's also film from Paris shot from a balcony off stage right.

Ballad Of A Thin Man (Brief clip of Dylan sitting at the piano appears in ETD)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwQ2iC ... sp=sharing

http://mashable.com/2016/11/02/bob-dyla ... 0fIGK75OqH (13 seconds, scroll down to view)

Of course, all of this is 100% correct. Thank you. Particularly impressed with your attempt to pinpoint some of the CD cover art; and with the Paris balcony spot. So that electric set was shot from three different angles?!

PostPosted: Wed August 9th, 2017, 10:25 GMT 

Can anyone determine the location of the backstage footage from NDH - "I shouldn't be singing/I'm gonna get me a new Bob Dylan" etc? For ages I thought it was Newcastle; and it still could be, but Mickey Jones is wearing a different shirt from the "everybody walked out" sequence (which definitely is Newcastle). And, while we're at it, the "don't boo me any more" car footage? Possibly all the same night. Don't know.

PostPosted: Tue October 24th, 2017, 22:33 GMT 

I found myself walking down Princes Street In Edinburgh today, and happened to walk past the spot where this photo was taken:

This what it looks like now:

And then I found myself walking past the site of the Edinburgh concert itself, on May 20th 1966:

The venue itself has quite a history. More here:

http://www.edinburghgigarchive.com/page2.htm

PostPosted: Tue October 24th, 2017, 22:41 GMT 
Titanium Member

Great! I'd never quite been able to work out the exact location on Princes Street myself.

Does anyone else find themselves making pilgrimages to the 1966 venues when they find themselves in UK cities?

PostPosted: Tue October 24th, 2017, 23:05 GMT 

Those windows at 121 are the giveaway, as that link very helpfully points out.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 10:40 GMT 

Edinburgh, cont...

Back in May, Zeppelin Crumble and I became slightly fixated on identifying some of the less exciting, less musical bits of 1966 footage. He, through sterling research and detective work based largely around the colour scheme of buses, concluded that there's lots of driving footage in Eat The Document and No Direction Home that was filmed in Edinburgh: for example, the 'Woodbine' bridge at the end of NDH; and the exterior rainy streets in ETD that are edited to seem as if they are the same journey as the cab journey with John Lennon in London. To back up the Edinburgh theory, we were trying to identify this hotel - and indeed what it's called: NORA-something? - based on a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment at the beginning of the Lennon sequence in ETD.

Based on my bus journey and a bit of walking around yesterday, I conclude that said hotel was at 71 Lothian Road, Edinburgh - virtually opposite the concert venue that Dylan and the Hawks played on 20th May - and that it is now, er, Nando's.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 13:14 GMT 

Did you heart start beating faster when you recognized the spot? Confess! :P

PostPosted: Fri October 27th, 2017, 07:03 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Somebody Naked wrote:
Edinburgh, cont...

Based on my bus journey and a bit of walking around yesterday, I conclude that said hotel was at 71 Lothian Road, Edinburgh - virtually opposite the concert venue that Dylan and the Hawks played on 20th May - and that it is now, er, Nando's.

:D Excellent work, sir!

And people say there's something odd about Dylan fans, I can't think why. :)

PostPosted: Fri October 27th, 2017, 08:45 GMT 

charlesdarwin wrote:
Somebody Naked wrote:
Edinburgh, cont...

:D Excellent work, sir!

And people say there's something odd about Dylan fans, I can't think why. :)

It does feel a tad obsessive. I console myself by saying that it would only be odd if I'd made the trip especially for this purpose. Yeah. I can live with that. Yeah.

PostPosted: Fri October 27th, 2017, 19:04 GMT 

Great sleuthing, SN, thanks!

(I had to Google "Nando's" to find out what it was, but that's just an age thing. I don't get out much these days.)

PostPosted: Sun October 29th, 2017, 07:56 GMT 

Great work, SN! Only that high rail bridge across the river to crack, now. You'd think that would be the easy one, too.

PostPosted: Mon October 30th, 2017, 00:07 GMT 

Over to you for this one, Zep. You know you want to.

PostPosted: Mon October 30th, 2017, 12:20 GMT 

Somebody Naked wrote:
Over to you for this one, Zep. You know you want to.

Well, SN- extends white-gloved, fluttering fingers over keyboard- for the longest time, of course, we felt this had to be the crossing of the Tyne into Newcastle, but couldn't find a rail bridge with those arched girders, to prove it. Our, my, mistake was to assume that this sequence had been shot from a train. Even when I found out that the High Level bridge is two-tiered, running road and rail traffic across it, the penny didn't initially drop, because the rail track is on the upper, open level:

Then- doh- I realised that Pennebaker/ Alk could just have crossed the Tyne by car and filmed it. And that's what they did. The bridge that can be seen, as shot from the tour limo, is another rail bridge, the 1906 King Edward Seventh bridge:

The map shows the position of the bridges across the Tyne. Back in 1966, before the Queen Elizabeth Metro bridge was built, there was no other bridge between the two:

So, with the King Edward Seventh bridge to the left, the shot was filmed as they crossed the Tyne on the High Level bridge, south to north, by road. It doesn't make sense that this would be an actual arrival shot since the tour map went clockwise thus:

Manchester (May 17) - Glasgow (May 19) - Edinburgh (May 20) - Newcastle (May 21)

Unless they detoured or crossed both ways, this was most likely shot post-arrival, May 21/ pre-departure, May 22.

Hopefully, this revelatory piece of scholarship will eventually find its way- if not within 24 hours- to Tulsa.

PostPosted: Mon October 30th, 2017, 13:02 GMT 

I wish I could read one - just one - Dylan book about the 1966 tour that cared about this stuff as much as you or I do.

Looking at ETD again the other day, I thought again about the onstage footage that's not Edinburgh; and concluded that it must be Glasgow. Someone a few pages back claimed that the entire gig was filmed from the stage; and the lighting looks very similar to the Ballad Of A Thin Man sequence in ETD that definitely is Glasgow.

There's so much sharp editing in that film that almost no two shots can be assumed to be from the same source. For example: Richard Manuel beaming at Johnny Cash playing with Dylan in Cardiff. Who's to say that shot isn't from the tour bus weeks either side of the day in Cardiff? I'd be happy for them to release it with a caption in every single shot identifying the location.

PostPosted: Mon October 30th, 2017, 16:29 GMT 

Somebody Naked wrote:
I wish I could read one - just one - Dylan book about the 1966 tour that cared about this stuff as much as you or I do.

Looking at ETD again the other day, I thought again about the onstage footage that's not Edinburgh; and concluded that it must be Glasgow. Someone a few pages back claimed that the entire gig was filmed from the stage; and the lighting looks very similar to the Ballad Of A Thin Man sequence in ETD that definitely is Glasgow.

There's so much sharp editing in that film that almost no two shots can be assumed to be from the same source. For example: Richard Manuel beaming at Johnny Cash playing with Dylan in Cardiff. Who's to say that shot isn't from the tour bus weeks either side of the day in Cardiff? I'd be happy for them to release it with a caption in every single shot identifying the location.

One day we may just get to see all 18 hours of footage that Pennebaker & Alk shot on the 1966 tour. In roll order. I'd gladly watch every minute. 18 hours. That's just over one 'waking' day of the 28 days they toured Europe. If they'd shot the other twenty-seven, I'd gladly sit through them, too.

PostPosted: Mon October 30th, 2017, 19:42 GMT 

Hats off to both of you.

Question: wasn't it 30 hours of footage from 1966? I'm recalling an early interview with Michael Chaiken who still hasn't answered my email. I stopped holding my breath a while ago...

PostPosted: Tue October 31st, 2017, 08:11 GMT 

pol2jem wrote:
Question: wasn't it 30 hours of footage from 1966? I'm recalling an early interview with Michael Chaiken who still hasn't answered my email. I stopped holding my breath a while ago...

pol2jem, I got the 18 hours quota around the time that NDH came out. I may have also gleaned it from a David Dalton interview with Pennebaker.

30 hours is a lot of footage. Each 16mm roll would have contained 10 minutes of film, so that equates to 180 rolls.

But if you're right, then all the better! That would equal 2 days out of the 28 they toured Europe. An impressive return.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15