Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun October 22nd, 2017, 00:51 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
PostPosted: Mon April 3rd, 2017, 20:43 GMT 

I'll buy it tomorrow. My biggest problem at the moment is that I can not hear the songs loudly without making people in my environment unhappy, who already had to listen to the excerpts.

PostPosted: Tue April 4th, 2017, 18:27 GMT 

This is so different from what I expected (only listening with headphones!!). Its so funny. It would not have been necessary to record these songs, but Dylan did it. I do not like this saying: He did a good job. But here it is in my head. First impression: Big respect.

PostPosted: Tue April 4th, 2017, 19:36 GMT 

If you listen to Dylan as he sings The Great American Songbook you can forget all your doubts and problems :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed April 5th, 2017, 18:48 GMT 

I've started working on my "complete & curated" crooner set from this era. I think I'll end up having about 2 discs worth with 10-15 songs each. (Or 3 discs total if we're sticking to Bob's structure. Discs being a relative term since in all reality it's all digital for me). In terms of "new music that I like" that's slightly over half which is a goo ratio.

Is anyone else working on something like that? (I apologize if there's already a thread for this.)

Has anyone compiled a set of discs of the original (or iconic) versions of these songs?

EDIT: Loosely speaking, I think it breaks down to: SitN- 2/3 FA-1/2 TR-1/3 in terms of number of songs from the albums I'm keeping.

PostPosted: Thu April 6th, 2017, 14:17 GMT 

I've noticed a few comments saying that the vocals are rougher in places. To what particular songs are people referring? I really haven't noticed any difference between the vocals on Triplicate and the ones on Shadows In The Night and Fallen Angels.

PostPosted: Thu April 6th, 2017, 15:41 GMT 

bobfan wrote:
I've noticed a few comments saying that the vocals are rougher in places. To what particular songs are people referring? I really haven't noticed any difference between the vocals on Triplicate and the ones on Shadows In The Night and Fallen Angels.

It's still early days for me, but I think you are probably right. At first listen my gut instinct was that his voice was a bit more gruff and indistinct sounding on Triplicate. But in hindsight I think that it's basically down to the production. It's been mastered more loudly and the instrumentation is less sparse, causing Bob's voice to sound less clear and upfront, less defined. Overall it still sounds good though, despite some annoying distortion which was also present (less distractingly) on Shadows.

As for the songs, these are performances pieces. Obviously they don't show off Bob's ability as a songwriter/songbuilder. But they are good songs that feature his most expressive and focused singing in many years. Presumably most of us agree that Bob is (or can be) a talented vocalist, second perhaps to his songwriting ability. And he does succeed in bringing these songs to life. I can't really understand how some folks can love his concert voice 2008-2012 but not be impressed by the performances here. They are a major leap up in every way. I think it may just be a case of rose-tinted glasses.

And overall I'm still finding it better to dip into this record and listen to a handful of tracks, rather than a whole discs-worth at a time.

At this time I still think Shadows is the best of the three, as a complete album.

PostPosted: Thu April 6th, 2017, 17:40 GMT 
Titanium Member

I've heard a couple songs that satisfactorily link this period to Christmas in the Heart. And I mean that in a complementary way

PostPosted: Sat April 8th, 2017, 10:00 GMT 

How does the Vinyl sound compared to the CD's? The CD's are mastered louder than SITN and FA.

PostPosted: Thu April 13th, 2017, 19:16 GMT 

Well. I've been listening to a digital download of this so far.
Just today I picked the deluxe vinyl version I pre-ordered (I've been working away from home for the past month).

Listening now. Near the end of disc 1. Can't say I've done any A-B comparisons, but the vinyl sounds beautiful so far. I liked this pretty much as soon as I heard it, but the depths and nuances of these tracks are really growing on me as I listen more.

I can perfectly see how this isn't for everyone - the perhaps 'archaic' position that some may perceive these songs to occupy, the lack of original songwriting by Dylan, the predominantly slow tempos and the similarity in instrumentation throughout....
I can see all of that, and fair enough if this isn't for you... but I'm listening now and I'm repeatedly struck by this album's beauty... from the packaging, which is simple, but classy and of good quality, to the music itself.

The songs come alive for me now as I listen. Some are perhaps more successful than others, but none are failures. Each has its own charms... there's a dreamlike quality to the whole thing, and the sincerity throughout is disarming and refreshing.

I'm really enjoying it.

PostPosted: Thu April 13th, 2017, 23:00 GMT 

Well, I'm not ashamed to say that after a couple of weeks listening I'm really loving Triplicate, perhaps, even, to my great surprise more than Shadows. It's far more uneven, to be sure, but there are so many good tracks here. I wasn't overly thrilled at the initial announcement but my fears that this would turn out to be merely 'more of the same' or flogging a dead horse were, thankfully, misplaced. I thought 3 discs might be a slog to get through but I find myself getting willingly lost in this.

Initial thoughts were that some of the vocals felt a lot less polished than on the previous two (especially Shadows) and I do wish he'd have given some of the songs another few takes - it surely didn't help on first impressions that he decided to put what I consider the worst vocal as the opening track - but having said that, I think there are some fantastic performances here. Once Upon a Time and I Could Have Told You, amongst others, contain some of his very best singing of the last couple of decades.

I understand that some are vehemently opposed to this whole direction and fair enough, if you don't like it then you don't like it but what I take exception to is the idea, put forward by certain parties around here, that those of us who do like it are uncritical fanbois lapping up whatever shit Dylan serves up and pretending it's chocolate ice cream. Or that we have somehow stunted tastes, and rather than listen to an old geezer belt out ancient tunes we should be discovering new and 'exciting' music. All I can say is that I'm probably younger than the parties in question and I listen to a lot of new and 'current' music. In the past few weeks I've purchased albums from Father John Misty, Laura Marling, Car Seat Headrest, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, The Magnetic Fields and Courtney Marie Andrews and I enjoy and recommend them all to a greater or lesser extent but it is still - again, to my surprise -Triplicate which I've found myself coming back to the most. Listening to Dylan croon about wishing wells and children's carousels just scratches an itch that those others don't reach somehow.

PostPosted: Fri April 14th, 2017, 21:44 GMT 
Titanium Member

^ post of the Sinatra Era

PostPosted: Sat April 15th, 2017, 17:52 GMT 

^He's the Romare Beardon of jazz crooners...

PostPosted: Sat April 15th, 2017, 18:38 GMT 

20yearsofschooling wrote:
Well, I'm not ashamed to say that after a couple of weeks listening I'm really loving Triplicate, perhaps, even, to my great surprise more than Shadows. It's far more uneven, to be sure, but there are so many good tracks here. I wasn't overly thrilled at the initial announcement but my fears that this would turn out to be merely 'more of the same' or flogging a dead horse were, thankfully, misplaced. I thought 3 discs might be a slog to get through but I find myself getting willingly lost in this.

Initial thoughts were that some of the vocals felt a lot less polished than on the previous two (especially Shadows) and I do wish he'd have given some of the songs another few takes - it surely didn't help on first impressions that he decided to put what I consider the worst vocal as the opening track - but having said that, I think there are some fantastic performances here. Once Upon a Time and I Could Have Told You, amongst others, contain some of his very best singing of the last couple of decades.

I understand that some are vehemently opposed to this whole direction and fair enough, if you don't like it then you don't like it but what I take exception to is the idea, put forward by certain parties around here, that those of us who do like it are uncritical fanbois lapping up whatever shit Dylan serves up and pretending it's chocolate ice cream. Or that we have somehow stunted tastes, and rather than listen to an old geezer belt out ancient tunes we should be discovering new and 'exciting' music. All I can say is that I'm probably younger than the parties in question and I listen to a lot of new and 'current' music. In the past few weeks I've purchased albums from Father John Misty, Laura Marling, Car Seat Headrest, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, The Magnetic Fields and Courtney Marie Andrews and I enjoy and recommend them all to a greater or lesser extent but it is still - again, to my surprise -Triplicate which I've found myself coming back to the most. Listening to Dylan croon about wishing wells and children's carousels just scratches an itch that those others don't reach somehow.

You should see a doctor about that itch.

PostPosted: Sat April 15th, 2017, 23:11 GMT 

I'm afraid medical science has yet to develop a cure for what ails me, but you'll be pleased to know they're making good progress on treatments for excess levels of snark.

PostPosted: Tue April 18th, 2017, 08:03 GMT 

Very nice post 20years. Dylan and his band have given these songs real love.

PostPosted: Tue April 18th, 2017, 08:47 GMT 

Fair Play wrote:
How does the Vinyl sound compared to the CD's? The CD's are mastered louder than SITN and FA.

I have only heard the vinyl and it sounds great. But unfortunantely - disturbing sibilance here and there. See from the Hoffman site that this i rather common - too bad.
But what a great record, been listening a lot during easter - perfect late night music.

PostPosted: Tue April 18th, 2017, 09:38 GMT 

Yes, Triplicate is a very beautiful vinyl.
Sounds great.
Only vinyl form for me

PostPosted: Wed April 19th, 2017, 11:45 GMT 

For Dylan fans, "Triplicate" gives us the opportunity to experience Dylan's voice through the ears of someone who isn't already a fan.

This is why Dylan Inc. should sell promotional "Triplicate" puke buckets.

PostPosted: Thu April 20th, 2017, 08:40 GMT 

Just read the Greil Marcus review on the front page.

Have no clue to what the man is saying. As per usual.

PostPosted: Thu April 20th, 2017, 08:56 GMT 

Foggy wrote:

Me neither, although he seems to snap into focus in the last sentence.

PostPosted: Thu April 20th, 2017, 15:28 GMT 

McG wrote:
Foggy wrote:

Me neither, although he seems to snap into focus in the last sentence.

Says someone with an avatar of Dylan wearing a fake t shirt...

PostPosted: Thu April 20th, 2017, 15:37 GMT 

art wrote:

Says someone with an avatar of Dylan wearing a fake t shirt...

Indeed, well looked at with your eyes!

PostPosted: Thu April 20th, 2017, 15:58 GMT 

Whom'st here hates Bob with a burning passion?

PostPosted: Thu April 20th, 2017, 16:01 GMT 

goodmeats wrote:

Is this a trick question?

PostPosted: Thu April 20th, 2017, 16:39 GMT 

McG wrote:
goodmeats wrote:

Is this a trick question?

A skilled psychoanalyst might posit that the ones who really hate Dylan are those who enable his worst creative instincts by showering hyperbolic praise on objectively pedestrian artistic endeavors, thus keeping him mired in a bog of uninspired mediocrity.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next