Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu December 14th, 2017, 04:29 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
PostPosted: Thu March 30th, 2017, 20:29 GMT 
Titanium Member

shipcomesin wrote:
'Triplicate' 4 1/2 stars Rolling Stone review http://www.rollingstone.com/music/album ... te-w474144

Thank you shipcomesin. another great review. excellent!! Wow.

"Time and again he proves the same thing on Triplicate. Though a handful of songs here are delightful bounces..
most are downbeat, spectral ballads...
ruminations on a memory of loss that is now central to the singer's being
Dylan raises devastation to a painful beauty"

He's given us another masterpiece.
Thank you Bob Dylan
Don't ever stop.

PostPosted: Thu March 30th, 2017, 20:49 GMT 

Disc One was pretty good, but Disc Two is awesome. I'm really glad we got Triplicate. I think the best of Triplicate would beat a best of SITN... but, due to the size, the overall release isn't quite as good as SITN

PostPosted: Thu March 30th, 2017, 22:14 GMT 
Titanium Member

Braggin' is a favorite

PostPosted: Fri March 31st, 2017, 02:14 GMT 

I really loved Shadows, found Fallen dull, hardly played.

The NPR streaming certainly sounds more engaging than Fallen, but gets pretty soporific.

That said, I do love long albums that I can get lost in, where unexpected pleasures gradually unfold, and new sideways and byways open up, so hopeful this will do it for me.

PostPosted: Fri March 31st, 2017, 09:10 GMT 
Promethium Member

So the thing arrived today. Never in my time has a new Dylan album meant less to me.

PostPosted: Fri March 31st, 2017, 10:14 GMT 

The up-tempo ones are kinda nice.

PostPosted: Fri March 31st, 2017, 10:28 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
So the thing arrived today. Never in my time has a new Dylan album meant less to me.

"I guess I'll have to change my fans"?

PostPosted: Fri March 31st, 2017, 10:56 GMT 

Well, I'm just listening to it and I like it.

I really loved Shadows, it was really great, but Fallen Angels it seemed to me maybe a little boring.
And, what's more, Shadows was the first, so it had its magic of the first one, but Angels is the second one, the later one.
Shadows are undoubtedly better than Angels, but I think some songs from Triplicate can be equal to the Shadows' quality.

All of these albums are a good and useful step aside in Bob's discography, but now's the time for Bob's own material.

PostPosted: Fri March 31st, 2017, 12:44 GMT 

Since the naysayers are being pretty condescending (and in the other thread, outright disrespectful), I'll join the club...

I feel sorry for anyone who can't enjoy this or the past 2 albums. 52 new Dylan studio recordings in a tad over 2 years, and a number of you are too caught up in who wrote the songs to enjoy the performances. Or unable to enjoy the performances by their own merits. Which is baffling to me as Dylan's voice is mostly on point for all three albums, and certainly improved over the previous 10 years.

Anyway, whatever your reason, I totally respect it. You do you. But I feel sorry for you that you can't enjoy this as much as I am right now.

PostPosted: Fri March 31st, 2017, 13:01 GMT 

TimeandTempo wrote:
Since the naysayers are being pretty condescending (and in the other thread, outright disrespectful), I'll join the club...

I feel sorry for anyone who can't enjoy this or the past 2 albums. 52 new Dylan studio recordings in a tad over 2 years, and a number of you are too caught up in who wrote the songs to enjoy the performances. Or unable to enjoy the performances by their own merits. Which is baffling to me as Dylan's voice is mostly on point for all three albums, and certainly improved over the previous 10 years.

Anyway, whatever your reason, I totally respect it. You do you. But I feel sorry for you that you can't enjoy this as much as I am right now.

How I wish I was you, so badly it hurts. What is your secret?

PostPosted: Fri March 31st, 2017, 13:06 GMT 
Titanium Member

If anyone purchases the vinyl edition could you confirm whether CDs are included?
I may hold off on my vinyl purchase this time until I can afford the scotch to go with it.
So a run to get the CDs may be in order this weekend.
It's been awhile since I've done CDs first, but that's an exciting thing too,
Since that's the setup I have in my office.
I have a feeling interrupted family noise will take away from the gloriousness packed up
in this volume of sounds.

Side note: bennyboy has hacked my spellcheck - autocorrect wanted me to type 'glorious mess'

PostPosted: Fri March 31st, 2017, 13:21 GMT 

Another question re the Vinyl versions..do we know if the included digital download is in MP3 or lossless / hirez format..?

Any prompt info would be much appreciated as in the store now and about to pull the trigger on a purchase. Cheers

PostPosted: Fri March 31st, 2017, 13:26 GMT 

I like it because I know and love most of the songs (ok I'm old). And fair enough, Bob's got some musicality back in his voice, his timing and pitch and rhythm is as perfect as ever. But I could probably sing them all too, in tune, word perfect etc :)

PostPosted: Fri March 31st, 2017, 13:53 GMT 
Titanium Member

My deluxe vinyl is scheduled to arrive today. I'll be home around 8 tonight, I'll pour some blended whiskey and give them a spin.

PostPosted: Fri March 31st, 2017, 14:20 GMT 

Some much of music enjoyment is based on associations we can only guess at. When my mother passed away I couldn't get enough Charlie Parker and Billie Holiday, two artists she never mentioned and presumably never cared for. But she loved so many old songs and knew the words to most of them so over time I was sort of compelled to learn what the songs were. I could remember melodies but didn't know what songs the melodies belonged to. Then it became a game of who sings or plays this tune best (it had to be an interesting tune, of course, and not all old tunes were interesting by any means).

Dylan is obviously fascinated by melodies at this point if you read his interview. There's something mysterious about melodies; often the classical composers had to fish them out of ancient folk melody. After a half century of often lousy Dylan impersonators (occasionally including the man himself) the notion that the 1960's changed everything seems silly. That era is in the museum along with Dylan.

PostPosted: Fri March 31st, 2017, 14:25 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:

It's a close thing with the last two; but yeah.

PostPosted: Fri March 31st, 2017, 14:55 GMT 
Titanium Member

TimeandTempo wrote:

well said timeandtempo
waiting for my delivery of Triplicate today.
Congratulations and all the best to Mr Dylan
See you in June.
Anticipating songs from last three albums to sound more beautiful than ever live.

Last edited by Alouette on Fri March 31st, 2017, 14:57 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri March 31st, 2017, 14:57 GMT 
Promethium Member

McG wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:

"I guess I'll have to change my fans"?

What fans? All those people on the street?

Somebody Naked wrote:
It's a close thing with the last two; but yeah.

Especially after the last two.
The physical product is kinda okay though.

PostPosted: Sat April 1st, 2017, 02:38 GMT 
Titanium Member

bucketsorain wrote:
Another question re the Vinyl versions..do we know if the included digital download is in MP3 or lossless / hirez format..?

Any prompt info would be much appreciated as in the store now and about to pull the trigger on a purchase. Cheers

Record store clerk told me MP3 download. The vinyl was sold out by 1pm. I got my CDs and I'll eagerly consume the vinyl after Easter

PostPosted: Sat April 1st, 2017, 02:52 GMT 
Titanium Member

monklover wrote:
Some much of music enjoyment is based on associations we can only guess at. When my mother passed away I couldn't get enough Charlie Parker and Billie Holiday, two artists she never mentioned and presumably never cared for. But she loved so many old songs and knew the words to most of them so over time I was sort of compelled to learn what the songs were. I could remember melodies but didn't know what songs the melodies belonged to. Then it became a game of who sings or plays this tune best (it had to be an interesting tune, of course, and not all old tunes were interesting by any means).

Dylan is obviously fascinated by melodies at this point if you read his interview. There's something mysterious about melodies; often the classical composers had to fish them out of ancient folk melody. After a half century of often lousy Dylan impersonators (occasionally including the man himself) the notion that the 1960's changed everything seems silly. That era is in the museum along with Dylan.

My father's passing has contributed greatly to my appreciation for this Dylan phase. Dylan used to bridge his love of all things Irish and my love for all things Dylan. Now he's formed another bridge for me. A longer and wider bridge.

PostPosted: Sat April 1st, 2017, 22:14 GMT 
Titanium Member

thank you for your post llama.
Sorry to hear about you losing your father.

PostPosted: Sun April 2nd, 2017, 15:11 GMT 

I've been listening to the 10 track sampler on Apple Music.

I found that I don't think the words are the problem for me. I have heard some people say that if Bob wrote these words then we would be slavering over the songs.

I'm not so sure. For me, it's the music and the sound that doesn't hold my interest. So much steel guitars and so many tracks seem so slow and dragging.

Still I think I'm going to order the CD - I can't not.

I can't listen to this while driving - it literally sings me to sleep.

PostPosted: Sun April 2nd, 2017, 15:16 GMT 

A Merry Llama wrote:
If anyone purchases the vinyl edition could you confirm whether CDs are included?
I may hold off on my vinyl purchase this time until I can afford the scotch to go with it.
So a run to get the CDs may be in order this weekend.
It's been awhile since I've done CDs first, but that's an exciting thing too,
Since that's the setup I have in my office.
I have a feeling interrupted family noise will take away from the gloriousness packed up
in this volume of sounds.

Side note: bennyboy has hacked my spellcheck - autocorrect wanted me to type 'glorious mess'

I got the vinyl version, and it does not include CD's. It has a digital download card, but I'm not sure of the file format, as I haven't used it yet.

PostPosted: Sun April 2nd, 2017, 15:19 GMT 

I love Dylan, I love these classic songs, I love steel guitar, and I love melancholy mood music to play on a foggy morning or lonely night. This album is right up my alley.

PostPosted: Sun April 2nd, 2017, 16:07 GMT 

tomandshell wrote:
I love Dylan, I love these classic songs, I love steel guitar, and I love melancholy mood music to play on a foggy morning or lonely night. This album is right up my alley.

Only the strongest are able to stand the three cds one after the other!
What a lucky man you are!
I hope, Bob's next cds will make me as content as you are it right now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next