Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu December 14th, 2017, 04:29 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu March 30th, 2017, 20:29 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu December 27th, 2012, 20:36 GMT
Posts: 8667
Location: over the shadows & the rain
shipcomesin wrote:
'Triplicate' 4 1/2 stars Rolling Stone review http://www.rollingstone.com/music/album ... te-w474144

Thank you shipcomesin. another great review. excellent!! Wow.

"Time and again he proves the same thing on Triplicate. Though a handful of songs here are delightful bounces..
most are downbeat, spectral ballads...
ruminations on a memory of loss that is now central to the singer's being
Dylan raises devastation to a painful beauty"

He's given us another masterpiece.
Thank you Bob Dylan
Don't ever stop.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu March 30th, 2017, 20:49 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun November 29th, 2015, 23:08 GMT
Posts: 581
Disc One was pretty good, but Disc Two is awesome. I'm really glad we got Triplicate. I think the best of Triplicate would beat a best of SITN... but, due to the size, the overall release isn't quite as good as SITN


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu March 30th, 2017, 22:14 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat January 1st, 2011, 20:57 GMT
Posts: 6740
Location: Out in the West Texas town of El Paso
Braggin' is a favorite


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri March 31st, 2017, 02:14 GMT 

Joined: Mon April 6th, 2009, 20:28 GMT
Posts: 1026
Location: I was there for a party once
I really loved Shadows, found Fallen dull, hardly played.

The NPR streaming certainly sounds more engaging than Fallen, but gets pretty soporific.

That said, I do love long albums that I can get lost in, where unexpected pleasures gradually unfold, and new sideways and byways open up, so hopeful this will do it for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri March 31st, 2017, 09:10 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue December 14th, 2010, 14:22 GMT
Posts: 43306
Location: Beneath the Southern X
So the thing arrived today. Never in my time has a new Dylan album meant less to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri March 31st, 2017, 10:14 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue August 9th, 2011, 09:17 GMT
Posts: 1383
Location: a thousand miles behind.
The up-tempo ones are kinda nice.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri March 31st, 2017, 10:28 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat September 10th, 2016, 12:46 GMT
Posts: 1531
Johanna Parker wrote:
So the thing arrived today. Never in my time has a new Dylan album meant less to me.


"I guess I'll have to change my fans"?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri March 31st, 2017, 10:56 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun June 29th, 2014, 15:40 GMT
Posts: 57
Location: Heart of Europe
Well, I'm just listening to it and I like it.

I really loved Shadows, it was really great, but Fallen Angels it seemed to me maybe a little boring.
And, what's more, Shadows was the first, so it had its magic of the first one, but Angels is the second one, the later one.
Shadows are undoubtedly better than Angels, but I think some songs from Triplicate can be equal to the Shadows' quality.

All of these albums are a good and useful step aside in Bob's discography, but now's the time for Bob's own material.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri March 31st, 2017, 12:44 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun November 29th, 2015, 23:08 GMT
Posts: 581
Since the naysayers are being pretty condescending (and in the other thread, outright disrespectful), I'll join the club...

I feel sorry for anyone who can't enjoy this or the past 2 albums. 52 new Dylan studio recordings in a tad over 2 years, and a number of you are too caught up in who wrote the songs to enjoy the performances. Or unable to enjoy the performances by their own merits. Which is baffling to me as Dylan's voice is mostly on point for all three albums, and certainly improved over the previous 10 years.

Anyway, whatever your reason, I totally respect it. You do you. But I feel sorry for you that you can't enjoy this as much as I am right now.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri March 31st, 2017, 13:01 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat September 10th, 2016, 12:46 GMT
Posts: 1531
TimeandTempo wrote:
Since the naysayers are being pretty condescending (and in the other thread, outright disrespectful), I'll join the club...

I feel sorry for anyone who can't enjoy this or the past 2 albums. 52 new Dylan studio recordings in a tad over 2 years, and a number of you are too caught up in who wrote the songs to enjoy the performances. Or unable to enjoy the performances by their own merits. Which is baffling to me as Dylan's voice is mostly on point for all three albums, and certainly improved over the previous 10 years.

Anyway, whatever your reason, I totally respect it. You do you. But I feel sorry for you that you can't enjoy this as much as I am right now.


How I wish I was you, so badly it hurts. What is your secret?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri March 31st, 2017, 13:06 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat June 1st, 2013, 08:42 GMT
Posts: 5853
Location: on a rail leading West
If anyone purchases the vinyl edition could you confirm whether CDs are included?
I may hold off on my vinyl purchase this time until I can afford the scotch to go with it.
So a run to get the CDs may be in order this weekend.
It's been awhile since I've done CDs first, but that's an exciting thing too,
Since that's the setup I have in my office.
I have a feeling interrupted family noise will take away from the gloriousness packed up
in this volume of sounds.


Side note: bennyboy has hacked my spellcheck - autocorrect wanted me to type 'glorious mess'


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri March 31st, 2017, 13:21 GMT 

Joined: Fri June 12th, 2009, 21:46 GMT
Posts: 28
Another question re the Vinyl versions..do we know if the included digital download is in MP3 or lossless / hirez format..?

Any prompt info would be much appreciated as in the store now and about to pull the trigger on a purchase. Cheers


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri March 31st, 2017, 13:26 GMT 

Joined: Mon November 15th, 2010, 20:04 GMT
Posts: 402
Location: Tyneside UK
I like it because I know and love most of the songs (ok I'm old). And fair enough, Bob's got some musicality back in his voice, his timing and pitch and rhythm is as perfect as ever. But I could probably sing them all too, in tune, word perfect etc :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri March 31st, 2017, 13:53 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat January 1st, 2011, 20:57 GMT
Posts: 6740
Location: Out in the West Texas town of El Paso
My deluxe vinyl is scheduled to arrive today. I'll be home around 8 tonight, I'll pour some blended whiskey and give them a spin.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri March 31st, 2017, 14:20 GMT 

Joined: Sat August 25th, 2007, 21:54 GMT
Posts: 1726
Some much of music enjoyment is based on associations we can only guess at. When my mother passed away I couldn't get enough Charlie Parker and Billie Holiday, two artists she never mentioned and presumably never cared for. But she loved so many old songs and knew the words to most of them so over time I was sort of compelled to learn what the songs were. I could remember melodies but didn't know what songs the melodies belonged to. Then it became a game of who sings or plays this tune best (it had to be an interesting tune, of course, and not all old tunes were interesting by any means).

Dylan is obviously fascinated by melodies at this point if you read his interview. There's something mysterious about melodies; often the classical composers had to fish them out of ancient folk melody. After a half century of often lousy Dylan impersonators (occasionally including the man himself) the notion that the 1960's changed everything seems silly. That era is in the museum along with Dylan.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri March 31st, 2017, 14:25 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun June 14th, 2015, 07:15 GMT
Posts: 403
Johanna Parker wrote:
So the thing arrived today. Never in my time has a new Dylan album meant less to me.


It's a close thing with the last two; but yeah.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri March 31st, 2017, 14:55 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu December 27th, 2012, 20:36 GMT
Posts: 8667
Location: over the shadows & the rain
TimeandTempo wrote:
Since the naysayers are being pretty condescending (and in the other thread, outright disrespectful), I'll join the club...

I feel sorry for anyone who can't enjoy this or the past 2 albums. 52 new Dylan studio recordings in a tad over 2 years, and a number of you are too caught up in who wrote the songs to enjoy the performances. Or unable to enjoy the performances by their own merits. Which is baffling to me as Dylan's voice is mostly on point for all three albums, and certainly improved over the previous 10 years.

Anyway, whatever your reason, I totally respect it. You do you. But I feel sorry for you that you can't enjoy this as much as I am right now.

well said timeandtempo
waiting for my delivery of Triplicate today.
Congratulations and all the best to Mr Dylan
See you in June.
Anticipating songs from last three albums to sound more beautiful than ever live.


Last edited by Alouette on Fri March 31st, 2017, 14:57 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri March 31st, 2017, 14:57 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue December 14th, 2010, 14:22 GMT
Posts: 43306
Location: Beneath the Southern X
McG wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:
So the thing arrived today. Never in my time has a new Dylan album meant less to me.


"I guess I'll have to change my fans"?


What fans? All those people on the street?


Somebody Naked wrote:
It's a close thing with the last two; but yeah.


Especially after the last two.
The physical product is kinda okay though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat April 1st, 2017, 02:38 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat June 1st, 2013, 08:42 GMT
Posts: 5853
Location: on a rail leading West
bucketsorain wrote:
Another question re the Vinyl versions..do we know if the included digital download is in MP3 or lossless / hirez format..?

Any prompt info would be much appreciated as in the store now and about to pull the trigger on a purchase. Cheers


Record store clerk told me MP3 download. The vinyl was sold out by 1pm. I got my CDs and I'll eagerly consume the vinyl after Easter


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat April 1st, 2017, 02:52 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat June 1st, 2013, 08:42 GMT
Posts: 5853
Location: on a rail leading West
monklover wrote:
Some much of music enjoyment is based on associations we can only guess at. When my mother passed away I couldn't get enough Charlie Parker and Billie Holiday, two artists she never mentioned and presumably never cared for. But she loved so many old songs and knew the words to most of them so over time I was sort of compelled to learn what the songs were. I could remember melodies but didn't know what songs the melodies belonged to. Then it became a game of who sings or plays this tune best (it had to be an interesting tune, of course, and not all old tunes were interesting by any means).

Dylan is obviously fascinated by melodies at this point if you read his interview. There's something mysterious about melodies; often the classical composers had to fish them out of ancient folk melody. After a half century of often lousy Dylan impersonators (occasionally including the man himself) the notion that the 1960's changed everything seems silly. That era is in the museum along with Dylan.


My father's passing has contributed greatly to my appreciation for this Dylan phase. Dylan used to bridge his love of all things Irish and my love for all things Dylan. Now he's formed another bridge for me. A longer and wider bridge.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat April 1st, 2017, 22:14 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu December 27th, 2012, 20:36 GMT
Posts: 8667
Location: over the shadows & the rain
thank you for your post llama.
Sorry to hear about you losing your father.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun April 2nd, 2017, 15:11 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed December 5th, 2012, 18:52 GMT
Posts: 4954
Location: In a hole in the ground there lived a....
I've been listening to the 10 track sampler on Apple Music.

I found that I don't think the words are the problem for me. I have heard some people say that if Bob wrote these words then we would be slavering over the songs.

I'm not so sure. For me, it's the music and the sound that doesn't hold my interest. So much steel guitars and so many tracks seem so slow and dragging.

Still I think I'm going to order the CD - I can't not.

I can't listen to this while driving - it literally sings me to sleep.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun April 2nd, 2017, 15:16 GMT 

Joined: Sat September 14th, 2013, 17:56 GMT
Posts: 51
A Merry Llama wrote:
If anyone purchases the vinyl edition could you confirm whether CDs are included?
I may hold off on my vinyl purchase this time until I can afford the scotch to go with it.
So a run to get the CDs may be in order this weekend.
It's been awhile since I've done CDs first, but that's an exciting thing too,
Since that's the setup I have in my office.
I have a feeling interrupted family noise will take away from the gloriousness packed up
in this volume of sounds.


Side note: bennyboy has hacked my spellcheck - autocorrect wanted me to type 'glorious mess'


I got the vinyl version, and it does not include CD's. It has a digital download card, but I'm not sure of the file format, as I haven't used it yet.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun April 2nd, 2017, 15:19 GMT 

Joined: Sat September 14th, 2013, 17:56 GMT
Posts: 51
I love Dylan, I love these classic songs, I love steel guitar, and I love melancholy mood music to play on a foggy morning or lonely night. This album is right up my alley.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun April 2nd, 2017, 16:07 GMT 

Joined: Sat October 3rd, 2009, 13:47 GMT
Posts: 1948
tomandshell wrote:
I love Dylan, I love these classic songs, I love steel guitar, and I love melancholy mood music to play on a foggy morning or lonely night. This album is right up my alley.


Only the strongest are able to stand the three cds one after the other!
What a lucky man you are!
I hope, Bob's next cds will make me as content as you are it right now.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lovethatcountrypie


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group