Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat October 21st, 2017, 21:24 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 28  Next
PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2017, 09:44 GMT 

h.egbert wrote:
Desolation Row wrote:
Seems to be we should really judge the reaction to these albums in say twenty years time as we seem to have done with a lot of other eras of Dylan's music.

I would be surprised if I got that much time left.

Given the state of things, I'd say we all have about 20 minutes.

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2017, 10:29 GMT 

WrittenInMySoul wrote:
When I first read about this new release, i was hoping this was some sort of early April Fool joke. But now it seems to be true: we are really going to get three more albums of Dylan doing American Standards...
I was exited about SITN, simply because it was so unexpected, something completly different. When FAllen Angels came out, I was like..."now he is overdoing it".And now this triple set, it's just too much of a not so good thing. It's like telling a joke five times in a row. A joke that wasn't even that funny the first time around. For me, Bob's way of singing, his way of delivering these songs just doesn't fit this kind of material.
For the first time in my life, I will probably pass on a new Bob Dylan release. Sad.

I only know "I Could Have Told You" yet. But shocking for me was to hear so much routine in the voice. I can´t find the spirit of Shadows or Angels anymore. Sure because he produced so much of this stuff. On Shadows and Angels I could believe that the songs are his own stories in a way, everyone a discovery. "I Could Have Told You" by Dylan gives me the feeling, I don´t have to listen because I know the other material. Nice voice is nice voice as requested, highs and downs foreseeable.

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2017, 10:31 GMT 

Desolation Row wrote:
If you remember the Bromberg Tapes may have come out after Good As I been to you/ World Gone Wrong and thats what a double album of covers isnt it that most Dylan fans would die to hear. And I dont think these 1990's acoustic albums were that well recieved when they came out in the 90's either (probably because they weren't originals) I was a young Dylan fan back then and I recall the reaction to hearing he wasnt recording original material as being similar to now (even though not many seemed to like Under the red sky either).

Both 90s Blues solo albums had good/very good critical reception. They're all on file somewhere on line or through newspapers.com. For that matter, reviews for the two recent cover albums have been overwhelmingly positive. Almost all of the criticism is from the fan base.

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2017, 11:01 GMT 

Interesting quote purportedly from Bob talking about Triplicate at the Amazon site which wasn't part of the official release statement. Apologies if posted earlier in the thread

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... X-Ad0EbobA

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2017, 11:04 GMT 

Lots more whingeing and whining going on eh? Ah well....

A triple album of standards isn't for everyone, I guess. For me, Dylan has surprised again with a triple release, and individually-themed...

Fantastic. I can't wait to hear this. Dylan has always been about songwriting/craft in general, and he's always been about ALL the genres that covered the last century and maybe before that. He was always more than just a rock'n'roller.... these are fantastic songs he's covering, and from what I've heard - from the brilliant Shadows In The Night, to the very good Fallen Angels - he's doing incredible work with them.

If he should release more original music in the future, which wouldn't surprise me, then great. If not, there are 30-odd albums of his original material that you're still allowed to listen to.

Meanwhile, Bob travels on through this phase, indulging himself by exploring some of the songs he's always wanted to record (remember, he wanted to record these albums of standards as far back as 1977/78, but the record company wouldn't have it). So be it. I love it.
Bring it on.

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2017, 11:44 GMT 

Great, as if 2016 wasn't bad enough, now I'm gonna have to undergo a triple bypass.

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2017, 11:48 GMT 
Promethium Member

MrJudasPriest wrote:
Interesting quote purportedly from Bob talking about Triplicate at the Amazon site which wasn't part of the official release statement. Apologies if posted earlier in the thread

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... X-Ad0EbobA

Description
Triplicate, is the new three disc studio album from Bob Dylan. The collection features 30 brand-new recordings of classic American tunes and marking the first triple-length set of the artist's illustrious career. With each disc individually titled and presented in a thematically-arranged 10-song sequence, Triplicate showcases Dylan's unique and much-lauded talents as a vocalist, arranger and bandleader on 30 compositions by some of music's most lauded and influential songwriters. The Jack Frost-produced album is the 38th studio set from Bob Dylan and marks the first new music from the artist since Fallen Angels, which was released in early 2016.

For Triplicate, Dylan assembled his touring band in Hollywood's Capitol studios to record hand-chosen songs from an array of American songwriters such as Charles Strouse and Lee Adams ("Once Upon A Time"), Harold Arlen and Ted Koehler ("Stormy Weather"), Harold Hupfield ("As Time Goes By") and Cy Coleman and Carolyn Leigh ("The Best Is Yet To Come").

The titles of the individual discs are 'Til The Sun Goes Down, Devil Dolls and Comin' Home Late. According to Bob Dylan, "I am finding these great songs to be a tremendous source of inspiration that has led me to one of my most satisfying periods in the studio. I've hit upon new ways to uncover and interpret these songs that are right in line with the best recordings of my own songs, and my band and I really seemed to hit our stride on every level with Triplicate."

Dylan's two previous album of classic American songs, 2016's Fallen Angels and 2015's Shadows in the Night, were both worldwide hits and garnered Grammy Award nominations in the category of Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album. Both albums received worldwide critical acclaim, with Randy Lewis writing of Fallen Angels in The Los Angeles Times, "[Dylan] immediately liberates songs from the big band/big orchestra world from which they emerged, and in which they are most frequently revisited…. [He] reaches to the blues at the core of many of these songs. Thus, they elicit the ache of romantic yearning and loss that often gets subsumed by swelling orchestral forces, background choirs or by singers who are more focused on crafting elegant vocals than finding emotional resonance." The Telegraph's Neil McCormick awarded Shadows in the Night five out of five stars and described the work as "spooky, bittersweet, mesmerizingly moving [with] the best singing from Dylan in 25 years." Jon Pareles wrote of that album in the New York Times, "Mr. Dylan presents yet another changed voice…a subdued, sustained tone….Shadows in the Night maintains its singular mood: lovesick, haunted, suspended between an inconsolable present and all the regrets of the past."

Bob Dylan has sold more than 125 million records around the world.

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2017, 11:55 GMT 
Promethium Member

McG wrote:
Great, as if 2016 wasn't bad enough, now I'm gonna have to undergo a triple bypass.

Ha! Had a similar diagnosis.
Lemme know which therapy works.
I'm still fighting Dylan Detox.

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2017, 12:26 GMT 

I have just heard the rolling stones 'new' track. Oh how i wish blob was doing something similar. Hes not, and there is hee haw we can do about it. Is he trying to 'lose' his fans as he has gone out his way to do so in the past? Is it bobs way of reinventing himself.

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2017, 12:42 GMT 

yopietro wrote:
A question to all those enthused by this next round of Sinatra. To those who feel that any new Dylan release is a reason to get excited. And who revel in Dylan once again being a contrarian and confounding his critics. Do you have a breaking point? How about if he releases another batch of 50 standards next year? How about if it turns out he recorded 276 standards with Al Schmitt and the next 8 Dylan releases are batches of standards? When would be too much for you??

If he released something I didn't like, and then something similarly disagreeable the following year, I would certainly refrain from buying future releases until I'd given them a listen. For those who aren't moved by SITN and FA, that point has arrived, underlined in Triplicate. For the rest of us, the question of a breaking point doesn't arise. (Billie Holiday spent her career singing these songs -- along with a lot of markedly less good ones -- and I treasure her recordings as much as anything by Dylan.)

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2017, 13:06 GMT 
Promethium Member

McG wrote:

Post of the week.

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2017, 13:08 GMT 

I've approached the latest phase with an open mind and there's recordings on SITN and FA that I enjoy. I also appreciate the positive effect it's had on Dylan's live set and, in concert, a few of these tunes is no bad thing. I even purchased a number of Sinatra recordings of the songs. However,after months of listening to this stuff, while I don't mind it, my initial opinion is pretty much unchanged; it just really doesn't do that much for me. It's nice enough, relaxing, late night listening. Nothing more;nothing less. Five volumes of recordings is, intentionally or not, very funny though. Of all the triple albums Dylan could have released over the years, we had to wait for the 'standards' phase.

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2017, 13:46 GMT 

yopietro wrote:
A question to all those enthused by this next round of Sinatra. To those who feel that any new Dylan release is a reason to get excited. And who revel in Dylan once again being a contrarian and confounding his critics. Do you have a breaking point? How about if he releases another batch of 50 standards next year? How about if it turns out he recorded 276 standards with Al Schmitt and the next 8 Dylan releases are batches of standards? When would be too much for you??

I recieved this very question many times from bemused friends, about cutting edge! The 66 live boxset and sooo many more, more than 8 albums worth. But i like them, i love them, listening to them. So why would i get bored?

Why would anyone who likes this crooner stuff not want more? Going by the reaction hERe, so far, there may not be many that wish for more. But my point stands, if you really like something, theres no breaking point.

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2017, 14:11 GMT 
Titanium Member

In a way it's similar to Tom Waits's Orphans set, except Waits's was more of The Basement Tapes. Eh, I'm tired of defending this new release. I know I'll be pleased. I spin Fallen Angels more than Shadows in the Night for some reason, I guess it gives me more hope.

I could have told you may have a bit of routine and predictability in it, more so than the live versions, but that's how every Dylan album is if you really think about it. Go see him live before it's too late!

I'm sure he'll fall into his Bobness on at least one of the other 29 tracks!

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2017, 14:29 GMT 

yopietro wrote:

Can't exactly call myself "enthused." Is it any worse than the postmodernish "box wrote this cut & paste unrelated phrases" phase? Original is a relative term. Would I be more excited by new words to a Willie Dixon chestnut? No, Zim isn't an automatic buy. I did snag a Fallen Angels CD in the used store. OTOH all I've ever wished from him is that he sings what he likes. If I'm feeling rich and the price is right I'll listen to it.

There are some songs on this one (or these three) that I'm unfamiliar with so that might make it more interesting. In some cases that was the attraction of the 1990's cover albums.

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2017, 14:54 GMT 
Titanium Member

littlemaggie wrote:
I think it's wrong that anyone should be judging this steaming pile of crap before they've heard it.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2017, 15:02 GMT 

patford wrote:
I'm thrilled this is coming out. With all the crying and moaning from some fans I was concerned that Sony or Dylan might never release this material.
Of course I'd also like an album of all original material, or another album of covers. Or whatever Dylan decides to record and release.

I feel something similar to this. I'm glad that Bob is enjoying recording these, feeling inspired, in good voice..keeping this spending a lot of time in the recording studio going..more likely he will record some orginal stuff too. I have a feeling that he most likely has. He just seems really free, and more than ever not paying attention to what others are thinking, his heart well and truely alive, trusting his instinct..I trust his instinct too. Just listening to I could have told you so..on about the fifth listen and he is sounding younger with each listen. I think I was slightly distracted on first listen, on a bit of a downer after reading through this thread last night. I usually avoid all reviews and forums after a bob album comes out, I just don't want to be influenced by others peoples ideas of songs before I really hear them myself.

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2017, 15:06 GMT 
Titanium Member

This will be the last.

As mentioned, he has had these songs recorded for some time.

He has decided to put them out in one lump in order to be finished.

We will get new Lanois Album soon enough :wink:

It's early 2016 and still talks of a GBS released.

& hey, it's Sinatra, but at least we didn't have to wait an Eternity for this like we did for "Shadows."

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2017, 15:08 GMT 

nightly moth wrote:
patford wrote:
I'm thrilled this is coming out. With all the crying and moaning from some fans I was concerned that Sony or Dylan might never release this material.
Of course I'd also like an album of all original material, or another album of covers. Or whatever Dylan decides to record and release.

I feel something similar to this. I'm glad that Bob is enjoying recording these, feeling inspired, in good voice..keeping this spending a lot of time in the recording studio going..more likely he will record some orginal stuff too. I have a feeling that he most likely has. He just seems really free, and more than ever not paying attention to what others are thinking, his heart well and truely alive, trusting his instinct..I trust his instinct too. Just listening to I could have told you so..on about the fifth listen and he is sounding younger with each listen. I think I was slightly distracted on first listen, on a bit of a downer after reading through this thread last night. I usually avoid all reviews and forums after a bob album comes out, I just don't want to be influenced by others peoples ideas of songs before I really hear them myself.

Sounding younger with each listen? Your poor brain, give it a break.

I listened to it once and he sounded exactly like he did on the other 2 cover albums.

In fact, the song itself sounds exactly like all those others. I don't know why he doesn't just record himself singing each letter of the alphabet then get a some software to punch out another box set of these fuckers every time he needs a pension top up.

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2017, 15:17 GMT 

yopietro wrote:

I don't think that I think in terms of too much.

Maybe someone would be in a certain state internally that meant they didn't get a kick out of this album at the moment.. Years down the line, they might be sitting by a window with a glass of purple wine, feeling strange and new, they put this album on and end up in floods of tears with joy. For months they listen it over and over. Hearing the closeness of bob's voice, hearing things they didn't hear years before as they were all wrapped up in other things. These types of things happen to varying degrees I think. So this too much idea just doesn't register somehow with me, it's just not how I think about it.

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2017, 15:22 GMT 

McG wrote:
nightly moth wrote:

Sounding younger with each listen? Your poor brain, give it a break.

I listened to it once and he sounded exactly like he did on the other 2 cover albums.

In fact, the song itself sounds exactly like all those others. I don't know why he doesn't just record himself singing each letter of the alphabet then get a some software to punch out another box set of these fuckers every time he needs a pension top up.

I'm glad I'm not you.

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2017, 15:22 GMT 

My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:
Billie Holiday's recordings for Commodore and Verve/Clef for example, are very similar in spirit, style and approach to Dylan's "Shadows" and "Fallen Angels". All of Billie Holiday's releases were "batches of standards". And some of the greatest art of the 20th century, because, like Dylan, Billie Holiday strips away the bull***t, cuts to the core of the songs and through the force of her personality and the most human of voices paints a picture of all humanity, by singing those songs. Dylan doing another three albums of that kind of music? I love it.

I'll have to admit that some of the pleasure of Verve era Holiday is the caliber of musicians playing on her records. Unfortunately this is not an era where you can call up Charlie Shavers or Benny Carter to blow something profound between the verses.

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2017, 15:23 GMT 

Regardless of whether you look at this with an open mind or as a betrayal,
this release at the very least means an indefinite delay of an album of original songs (or even another Bootleg Series),
and because of that, I am more than a little upset.

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2017, 15:34 GMT 

nightly moth wrote:

I'm glad I'm not you.

Me too.

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2017, 16:52 GMT 
Promethium Member

summerteeth wrote:
Regardless of whether you look at this with an open mind or as a betrayal,
this release at the very least means an indefinite delay of an album of original songs (or even another Bootleg Series),
and because of that, I am more than a little upset.

He could easily release something later this year, there's no reason to give up hope for that.

I was excited when Shadows came out but markedly less so by Fallen Angels-it just seemed more of the same but without the sense of purpose...I suppose this hits me about the same way but at the end of the day I'm glad we'll have such an extensive catalog of Dylan "uncovering" these old songs, and I can't imagine any fan not being happy about it, in a hindsight sort of way. After all, there's now a whole other chapter (or book with 50 chapters) we didn't have in 2012, and even if it's not exactly earthshaking it's far more than fans of most artists in their 70's are going to get. That said, like pretty much every other human, I will be far more excited when news of a new original album hits my ears, especially if it's something of a leap forward - let's face it, Tempest was well-constructed but largely followed the template he'd been using for over a decade, and caused nary a whimper outside of this forum*. I suspect he's already recharged himself and recorded that album but only time will tell.

I will say that it's nice to get this all on one release instead of 3 albums over several years (which didn't seem implausible after Shadows and FA).

Also, any comparison to Tom Waits' Orphans is nuts - that 3 cd set was more like the original Bootleg Series and acts as an alternate "best of" hitting all the pleasure centers a Tom Waits fan might expect, rather than shunning them with music that's a stylistic 360 from everything the artist is known for.

*not counting exposure to the vocals on Pay In Blood, causing an altogether different kind of whimper.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 28  Next