Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue October 24th, 2017, 04:14 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 28  Next
PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 19:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

HunterRose wrote:
I actually really like "I Could have Told You" and I agree that his voice sounds really nice here.
But it sounds like the same arrangement and the same sleepy pedal steel as Shadows.
I'm not sure I need 5 albums of that....

Yeah, the steel was an enjoyable little twist for doing these songs on SITN, but it's gotten to be way too much.

The same languid tempos for everything...

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 19:56 GMT 

Maybe now he's won that Nobel prize for literature he doesn't need to write anymore!

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 19:59 GMT 

Perhaps including "Why Was I Born to Love You" is a nod to "Someday Baby." I wonder what other Triplicate tracks contain lines that were lifted.

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 20:01 GMT 

There goes any hopes I had for the next European Tour being a possible return to a pure Dylan set. Gotta feeling it could be shit!!

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 20:20 GMT 
Titanium Member

https://youtu.be/1SXB1hvxnzw

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 20:40 GMT 
Titanium Member

It appears there has been some misinformation about this release. It's not more Sinatra albums, but in fact Bob's long awaited Hip Hop trilogy, as I can exclusively reveal through this leaked cover art.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 20:41 GMT 

^^ :D the gothic font is perfect for hip hop! Love it!

Let's hope Sinatraista in a cleansing of the palate ahead of a new original album later in the year.

Last edited by man in the moon on Tue January 31st, 2017, 20:51 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 20:50 GMT 

We all knew he had recorded more standards, so the fact he's releasing them all in one go should be good news whether you like them or not. Would you prefer he parcelled them out over the next half-decade and rested on his laurels? Dumping them like this is surely the clearest indication he's ready to move on (if he makes another standards album after this then I'll probably join in the chorus of disapproval).
Really like I Could of Told You, and looking forward to finally hearing his version of Stormy Weather.

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 21:01 GMT 

I'd rather buy those fake hip-hop albums than the actual album. I'm not excited for the new release at all, even though his voice does sound pretty great.

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 21:02 GMT 

Sandy wrote:

It explains that such a shit happens, when critics are much too positive.
"Not bad" would have been an adequate comment concerning SHADOWS.
Perhaps I would have remembered this album in some years with a smile in my face.
(And to tell the truth: I like the swing of Melancholy Mood)
But after 5 albums ................

I know, we all are sinners!
But what have we done that we have to bear this?
We are not saved but condemned to listen to such boring songs!

I COULD HAVE TOLD YOU could have been on SHADOWS and on ANGELS.
If someone would have told this, I would have believed it.
These songs don't touch me at all. I don't even remember them.
The Sinatra-stuff-hype of some critics is grotesque.
And what is worse: Bob and his crew seem to believe what they could read the last years.

Great times, when we discussed, if Bob did sing or bark his songs , when we defended his way of singing, when we discussed the meaning of the lyrics. Did he forget the lyrics or did he want to put in some new lines? Such discussions were interesting and exciting.
I wish these times would come back again.

Last edited by HopE on Tue January 31st, 2017, 21:09 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 21:04 GMT 

20yearsofschooling wrote:
We all knew he had recorded more standards, so the fact he's releasing them all in one go should be good news whether you like them or not. Would you prefer he parcelled them out over the next half-decade and rested on his laurels? Dumping them like this is surely the clearest indication he's ready to move on (if he makes another standards album after this then I'll probably join in the chorus of disapproval).
Really like I Could of Told You, and looking forward to finally hearing his version of Stormy Weather.

Very good point. It's been almost 5 years since Tempest. In a way
this is the best case scenario: the releases are done, with some of the
tracks turning out to be pretty good, and the year is still open for
a possible fall release of original material. Even if this turns out
the gospel album, I'm hoping it will contain at least a handful of
self-penned songs.

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 21:14 GMT 
Titanium Member

I've never known bob to do what his critics like.

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 21:22 GMT 

Amos wrote:
Nightingale's Code wrote:
Wow, one big diarrhea to clear out the backlog of standards?

I hope he's done taking his ginormous shit

:lol:

Some amusing posts in this thread.

I enjoyed the earlier 'Sinatra' records, but agree that a 3-CD behemoth is not what any doctor ordered. It definitely feels weird to have no enthusiasm for a new Dylan release. Oh well.

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 21:26 GMT 

goodnitesteve wrote:
I've never known bob to do what his critics like.

He can do what he wants to do! He doesn#t have to to what critics want him to do.
With one little exception: He should do what I want !
Please Bob! No Triplicate-nonsense! A triple album of your songs!

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 21:43 GMT 

A question to all those enthused by this next round of Sinatra. To those who feel that any new Dylan release is a reason to get excited. And who revel in Dylan once again being a contrarian and confounding his critics. Do you have a breaking point? How about if he releases another batch of 50 standards next year? How about if it turns out he recorded 276 standards with Al Schmitt and the next 8 Dylan releases are batches of standards? When would be too much for you??

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 22:01 GMT 

yopietro wrote:
A question to all those enthused by this next round of Sinatra. To those who feel that any new Dylan release is a reason to get excited. And who revel in Dylan once again being a contrarian and confounding his critics. Do you have a breaking point? How about if he releases another batch of 50 standards next year? How about if it turns out he recorded 276 standards with Al Schmitt and the next 8 Dylan releases are batches of standards? When would be too much for you??

The breaking point would be after this release, I'm sure. An album of this scope isn't released with the hint that there could be more of the same along the way.

Nonetheless I must say that I am looking forward to this release very much. I've been doing my chores today and shaking my head in wonder that Bob can continue to shock us like this again and again (despite the fact that we already knew he recorded these songs!).

It's already clear to me form most reactions on this thread that Triplicate is going to stand with Self Portrait and Christmas in the Heart as albums that are divisive even among Bob's core fans. I say bring it on. The conversations are going to be very fun and I think this album will grow in popularity as the decades advance, like most of Bob's more divisive works.

...But maybe I should hear it before making another assessment of it.

Also, those hip hop album covers are damn rich. Especially the top one. Could be real.

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 22:06 GMT 
Titanium Member

I'm most interested in hearing these two of my favorites.

Stormy Weather, a great Ethel Waters song.
Stardust, a great Hoagy Carmichael song.

I would buy the album on day one and pay full price even if it only contained those two.

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 22:09 GMT 

My breaking point is another Christmas record. Otherwise, Bobby can do what he wants.

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 22:21 GMT 

yopietro wrote:

In my opinion this not "the next round of Sinatra", this Dylan singing some of the greatest American songs of the 20th century. I have been listening to Billie Holiday for pretty much as long as I have been listening to Dylan. Billie Holiday recorded "standards" throughout her whole career, often with small bands, like Dylan, instead of Sinatra-style orchestras. Billie Holiday's recordings for Commodore and Verve/Clef for example, are very similar in spirit, style and approach to Dylan's "Shadows" and "Fallen Angels". All of Billie Holiday's releases were "batches of standards". And some of the greatest art of the 20th century, because, like Dylan, Billie Holiday strips away the bull***t, cuts to the core of the songs and through the force of her personality and the most human of voices paints a picture of all humanity, by singing those songs. Dylan doing another three albums of that kind of music? I love it.

Here's the great Billie Holiday doing some of the "Triplicate" songs.

Billie Holiday: Stormy Weather
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4JTE76Xnp0

Billie Holiday: As Time Goes By
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e07Bpv7uOrM

Billie Holiday: How Deep Is The Ocean?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vEum7syn00

Billie Holiday: P.S. I Love You
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouO_iqY_gRk

Billie Holiday: But Beautiful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeqLftGkaEI

Billie Holiday: Day In, Day Out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-3RSKqOKWI

Billie Holiday: These Foolish Things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_20tKuKtF8

Billie Holiday: You Go To My Head
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7xQd3yt590

Billie Holiday: Why Was I Born
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr-eR_t6fcc

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 23:09 GMT 
Titanium Member

yopietro wrote:

Only if they're songs he's done already.

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 23:10 GMT 

Hahahahaha

Good lord.

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 23:14 GMT 

How can people knock on this (especially so early) and say they are Dylan fans? This is clearly him clearing the vaults of songs he recorded the past few years and I am excited to hear it. What was nice about Shadows In The Night and Fallen Angels is they were an homage to Frank Sinatra, but now he is continuing the theme of honoring the songs he grew up listening to and is giving us a broader picture of his influences. He is clearly thinking of this as the third album of a trilogy of American Standards and it will hopefully be a strong closer.

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 23:30 GMT 
Titanium Member

Winter Lude wrote:
Now that he's figured out how to not sound like a throat cancer patient, it's too bad he's not writing his own songs. If I want to hear this kind of music, I'll listen to Johnny Hartman.

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 23:32 GMT 
Titanium Member

slimtimslide wrote:
I reckon I know exactly what Bob is thinking...

"I suffered for my art, now it's your turn"

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 23:35 GMT 
Titanium Member

gibsona07 wrote:
It appears there has been some misinformation about this release. It's not more Sinatra albums, but in fact Bob's long awaited Hip Hop trilogy, as I can exclusively reveal through this leaked cover art.

Image Image Image

Where are the first and 3rd photos from?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 28  Next