Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat September 23rd, 2017, 11:05 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 677 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next
PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 05:06 GMT 

What the heck?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJdKQ92 ... ploademail

Published on Jan 30, 2017

"I Could Have Told You" off Bob Dylan's upcoming album 'Triplicate' is available now: http://smarturl.it/Triplicate

Bob Dylan's first three-disc album 'Triplicate,' which features 30 brand new recordings of classic American songs, will be available March 31.

Pre-order now:
iTunes: http://smarturl.it/TriplicateiT
Amazon MP3: http://smarturl.it/TriplicateAmz
3-CD 8-Panel Digipak: http://smarturl.it/TriplicateCD
Standard vinyl set: http://smarturl.it/TriplicateLP
Deluxe Vinyl Limited Edition: http://smarturl.it/TriplicateDeluxe

Last edited by charlesdarwin on Tue January 31st, 2017, 10:01 GMT, edited 1 time in total.
Edited title to clarify discussion topic.

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 05:11 GMT 

And Tracklist: https://www.amazon.com/Triplicate-Bob-D ... marturl-20

Disc 1
I Guess I'll Have to Change My Plans

September of My Years

I Could Have Told You

Once Upon a Time

Stormy Weather

This Nearly Was Mine

That Old Feeling

It Gets Lonely Early

My One and Only Love

Trade Winds

Disc 2
Braggin'

As Time Goes By

Imagination

How Deep is the Ocean

P.S. I Love You

The Best Is Yet to Come

But Beautiful

Here's That Rainy Day

Where Is the One

There's a Flaw in My Flue

Disc 3
Day In, Day Out

I Couldn't Sleep a Wink Last Night

Sentimental Journey

Somewhere Along the Way

When the World Was Young

These Foolish Things

You Go to My Head

Stardust

It's Funny to Everyone but Me

Not Available
Why Was I Born

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 05:30 GMT 
Titanium Member

Wow, one big diarrhea to clear out the backlog of standards?

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 05:33 GMT 

While I enjoyed his covers of standard songs, I thought two albums were enough and I could have waited for these newly (2016) recorded tracks for a few more years (in form of a Bootleg Series release).
I hope the rumored Lanois-album is still happening...

HunterRose wrote:
Bob Dylan's first three-disc album 'Triplicate,' which features 30 brand new recordings of classic American songs, will be available March 31.
Sorry, I think this is a joke. Shadows In The Night with its 10 songs wasn't even 36 minutes long. Assuming these tracks are of the same length, we'll get 3 albums of 36 minutes each, 108 minutes total.
This could have easily been presented as a 2 disc set with 54 minutes each. But I guess Bob gets paid more this way (and the magical number of 10 songs is reached each time). :roll: This makes me feel like Jesse Pinkman...

Maybe I sound like a spoiled brat, and I'm sure I'll enjoy these songs - but I'm disappointed right now. This is not the album I hoped it to be. And I don't think this is just because of a different preference of style. Shadows In The Night might have been a hard thing to do for him. This seems like an easy way out, like a simple repeat. I wish he'd challenge himself once more.

Edit: Maybe this is just me being cynical... but what are the chances this was supposed to be a Bootleg Series release and releasing it now is a dig at the Nobel price?

Post subject: I could have told you...
PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 05:39 GMT 
Titanium Member

Man, I love it. I've been playing I Could Have Told You on the piano for over a week. Once Upon a Time was masterfully done for the Tony Bennett tribute. I can't wait to hear the groveling from fans.

I can't wait to hear These Foolish Things and I hope it sounds like this one!
https://youtu.be/qO0Bn_H4C3M

My only complaint is that he doesn't sing The Way You Look Tonight, I feel like that is my one last request. Maybe for the fourth one???

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 05:52 GMT 

You gotta be f*cking kidding me.

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 05:56 GMT 

Triplicate? Is he serious? That is quite possibly the worst album title I have ever heard in my life.

I am happy about this, by the way. We all knew 30 standards were recorded in February and were going to be released sooner or later, whether as an album or as part of the Bootleg Series. This does not take away from the current circulating rumours of an upcoming album of originals produced by Lanois.

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 06:20 GMT 
Mercury Member

Like all his releases, I'll listen to it once after he's dead out of respect and then close the book. I doubt it'll be any different than what we've heard before.

It's been fun hERe but there are plenty other places to be. See y'all.

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 06:43 GMT 

It's hard to be critical of it before actually hearing it, but the timing and the sheer quantity of releases from the songbook has taken me by surprise. Why isn't this on his official website?

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 06:45 GMT 

This confirms it. He's a sadist.

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 07:13 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Some interesting song choices on the album(s). We'll have to wait and see what he makes of them. If Bob wants to do them I'm happy to hear them and reserve judgement.

Will it be three times the fun or -

... time will tell.

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 07:42 GMT 

Oh dear...

I've been pretty kind to him over this "American standards" period. I still think "Shadows In The Night" was a great record with a nice mood and a strong song selection. "Fallen Angels", while not as interesting as "Shadows" still held my interest slightly. But really? A triple album? With quite possibly the most bland cover he's ever put out (yeah, it's even worse than knocked out loaded's cover).

also this doesn't bode well for setlists on the Euro tour

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 08:25 GMT 

mad man with a box wrote:
With quite possibly the most bland cover he's ever put out (yeah, it's even worse than knocked out loaded's cover).

I'm sure each CD will have it's own cover and title... the current cover will be the collection's cover... right?

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 08:29 GMT 

well, putting all those cover songs on a single release could mean that he doesn't want to spend the next years releasing one cover album after the other. and this might indicate that he has something else in the pipe (maybe only wishful thinking).
I agree that the release of Triplicate isn't very promising for the setlists of the forthcoming shows. But on the other hand: we might see a lot of live debuts

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 08:30 GMT 

oh god... :roll:

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 08:34 GMT 

Interesting that Dylan had chosen to cover 'There's a Flaw in My Flue', which was supposedly recorded by Sinatra as a leg-pull aimed at A&R people who don't pay attention to the words. (Sinatra discovered it listening to Crosby's 'Your All-Time Flop Parade' radio show.) I wonder if Dylan's trying to tell us something...

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 08:48 GMT 

As Times Goes By… play it again, Bob. If she can stand it, I can stand it, too.

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 08:49 GMT 

Have the copyright laws changed from 50 years down to 12 months?

Seriously though, here's hoping it's a deck clearing exercise for a new direction and new album. That said, he's in gorgeous vocal form on the studio take of I Could Have Told You.

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 09:00 GMT 

^^ imaging a hot summers eve´, some people sit on a veranda, the stars twinkle above and
they´re singing and playing guitar one old song after the other and have so much fun -so
can´t find an end to do and to do so on, having so much fun - that´s for me the case of all
latest albums.

Imaging another similar scenery in 70s or 60s ? Bob and Happy Traum (what a beautiful name! :) )
sittin´on a veranda in Woodstock singing
" I see my light come shining
From the west unto the east.
Any day now, any day now,
I shall be released." :)

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 09:03 GMT 

Okay. :o

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 09:37 GMT 

Delicious. :D

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 09:48 GMT 

I've been laughing so hard for the last couple of hours that I feel like now I have to buy a physical copy of this thing. :lol: :lol: :lol:

My first thought was that this can't be worse than FA, but then I remembered how I felt when that album was announced and decided to hold out on my judgement until after I actually hear the whole thing.

goodnitesteve wrote:
Man, I love it. I've been playing I Could Have Told You on the piano for over a week. Once Upon a Time was masterfully done for the Tony Bennett tribute.

I don't like Once Upon a Time at all and there's a good chance I'll feel the same way about most of the new tracks. However, I Could Have Told You is one of those songs I like for no good reason. I even paid for it just to be able to download it now and I hope he'll keep it in the set list for at least one of the Stockholm shows.

my precious time wrote:
Maybe this is just me being cynical... but what are the chances this was supposed to be a Bootleg Series release and releasing it now is a dig at the Nobel price?

I'd say very low. Why waste almost a month (and a ton of money) recording 30 tracks for a Bootleg Series volume that wouldn't come out for more than a decade anyways? There's plenty of material available to fill several volumes already and there's also all the live recordings from the 70s on. If these were just tracks recorded on the road (either on short studio sessions during the days off or during sound checks or even on the bus), then maybe that theory could make some sense. The way things went down (all tracks were recorded months earlier and some had already been included in the set list before the Nobel prize was announced), I doubt that was even a thought.

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 09:56 GMT 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJdKQ92-H_c

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 10:18 GMT 

mystic garden wrote:
mad man with a box wrote:
With quite possibly the most bland cover he's ever put out (yeah, it's even worse than knocked out loaded's cover).

I'm sure each CD will have it's own cover and title... the current cover will be the collection's cover... right?

This sounds about right!

Triplicate definition from Google:

1) a thing which is part of a set of three copies or corresponding parts.
"the triplicate of a letter to the Governor"

Could be like Tom Waits' Orphans album in that vein (which even included Young at Heart!)

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 10:25 GMT 

Aural sleeping draught..........please Bob no more, we get the point you liked Frank Sinatra.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 677 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next