Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed February 21st, 2018, 05:38 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri January 27th, 2017, 11:32 GMT 

Welcome Everybody,
I'm proud to inform you there's a massive "Dylan in Polish" event coming.
First half of Feb - a double album of BD's songs translated into Polish and played & sung by the http://dylan.pl band is to be released. 29 songs, divided into two discs (A - "public Dylan"; B - "private Dylan"), with 6 guest voices (Polish stars of pop, rock, folk, ragga & jazz). Arranged in the unplugged mood, with a bow towards Americana/Heartland but also with a Slavic tinge. Title: NIEPOTRZEBNA POGODYNKA, ŻEBY ZNAĆ KIERUNEK WIATRU (a Polish translation of the line You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows).
Second half of Feb - a 130-plus song volume of translated lyrics/poems, commented. Entitled DUSZNY KRAJ, a Polish title of the song Mississippi.
Both the album and the book contain translations by yours truly (Filip Łobodziński), the lead singer of the dylan.pl band.
It's going to be the first that massive presentation of Dylan in Polish.
Just FYI.

PostPosted: Fri January 27th, 2017, 16:09 GMT 
Mercury Member

Filip wrote:
Welcome Everybody,
I'm proud to inform you there's a massive "Dylan in Polish" event coming.
First half of Feb - a double album of BD's songs translated into Polish and played & sung by the http://dylan.pl band is to be released. 29 songs, divided into two discs (A - "public Dylan"; B - "private Dylan"), with 6 guest voices (Polish stars of pop, rock, folk, ragga & jazz). Arranged in the unplugged mood, with a bow towards Americana/Heartland but also with a Slavic tinge. Title: NIEPOTRZEBNA POGODYNKA, ŻEBY ZNAĆ KIERUNEK WIATRU (a Polish translation of the line You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows).
Second half of Feb - a 130-plus song volume of translated lyrics/poems, commented. Entitled DUSZNY KRAJ, a Polish title of the song Mississippi.
Both the album and the book contain translations by yours truly (Filip Łobodziński), the lead singer of the dylan.pl band.
It's going to be the first that massive presentation of Dylan in Polish.
Just FYI.

That sounds fascinating Filip. I love new international angles on Dylan. Is there also room in the planned festivities for Polish songwriters' own Dylan- inspired ditties?
I'll be checking your website out. Although I live in a neighbouring country in theory, it would be a long journey for me to see this in the flesh, but I wish you all the best
EDIT: you were using 'event' to mean 'release'. I understand now.

PostPosted: Sat January 28th, 2017, 12:34 GMT 

Panie Filipie,
płyta brzmi wspaniale! Zwłaszcza podoba mi się "Adam dał imiona zwierzętom"- sama kiedyś przekładałam ten tekst. Trafnie dobrane słowa świetnie nadają tej piosence polskości, jednocześnie zachowując jej pierwotny charakter i przekaz. Mam nadzieję, że Dylan słyszał i sam się zachwycił :D
Pozdrawiam i z niecierpliwością czekam na więcej ;)

PostPosted: Mon January 30th, 2017, 10:20 GMT 

leavinclaud wrote:
I'll be checking your website out. Although I live in a neighbouring country in theory, it would be a long journey for me to see this in the flesh, but I wish you all the best
EDIT: you were using 'event' to mean 'release'. I understand now.

Should somebody be that crazy to invite us to your country and give us an opp to sing Dylan in Polish to non-Polish speakers/listeners, you'd have a chance :)
Our website is in Polish only, so is the FB fanpage https://www.facebook.com/bobdylanpopolsku/, unfortunately. But the peculiarity of our activity is that Polish language sperakers are our main target group.
There have been isolated stabs at nailing Dylan in Polish in the past but we're the first to do it in a massive way.
Dylan-inspired creativity among Polish artists is a vast territory still waiting to be explored. Inspirations go through differents places and take various directions.
Warm regards!

PostPosted: Mon January 30th, 2017, 10:29 GMT 

Sweepingcindrella wrote:
Mam nadzieję, że Dylan słyszał i sam się zachwycił :D
Pozdrawiam i z niecierpliwością czekam na więcej ;)

Nice to have read this one! Sorry to reply in English but I do it for obvious reasons (it's a lingua franca over here).
Your hope is unsupported, I'm afraid. Mr. Dylan does have probably a zillion better things to do than listening to some obscure cover versions of his own songs. We had to send his publishers/management re-translations of his songs for approval - I wouldn't bet even his managers read them before giving us their acceptance. There is a batallion of clerks who check the compatibility of the translated lyrics with the originals and that's all. Of course, we're obliged to send Mr. Dylan's management some copies of our forthcoming album but I wouldn't bet anybody there would listen to it. Please remember Todd Haynes didn't get any feedback from Dylan's office if the Man himself had ever watched the I'm Not There movie. So - we'd rather be humble ;).
Serdeczności!

PostPosted: Wed February 15th, 2017, 14:14 GMT 

The release is due March 10. So watch out! 8)

PostPosted: Wed February 15th, 2017, 14:44 GMT 

Nice one.
Loved Martyna Jakubowicz 'Tylko Dylan' (familiar?) too.

PostPosted: Fri March 3rd, 2017, 14:46 GMT 

Nelien wrote:
Loved Martyna Jakubowicz 'Tylko Dylan' (familiar?) too.

Martyna guests on our album! (Only in one song's chorus, but...)

PostPosted: Thu January 11th, 2018, 08:25 GMT 

TWIMC, the dylan.pl cover band from Poland has a new video out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0HkyoOaa2s
The song is The Times They Are a-Changin' and the guest vocals are by Muniek Staszczyk, one of the top Polish rock voices.