Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat January 20th, 2018, 14:37 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri December 16th, 2016, 17:53 GMT 

jrqbliss wrote:
It's one of his best albums, period. Everything from the arrangements to the vocals. The first time I played it for my son, he asked if it was Santa singing.

Satan.

PostPosted: Fri December 16th, 2016, 18:44 GMT 
Mercury Member

McG wrote:
jrqbliss wrote:
It's one of his best albums, period. Everything from the arrangements to the vocals. The first time I played it for my son, he asked if it was Santa singing.

Satan.

I vowed I'd never listen to it forwards, now I've found a way to play songs backwards, the true message of 'SixSixSiXmas stake through the heart' may become clear. How curious am I? That's the question.

PostPosted: Fri December 16th, 2016, 18:53 GMT 

I play it every year for Christmas. It's perfect.

PostPosted: Fri December 16th, 2016, 19:02 GMT 
Titanium Member

Alouette wrote:
It's definitely the best Christmas album ever recorded.

Considering there are no good Christmas albums this ain't saying much.

PostPosted: Fri December 16th, 2016, 20:06 GMT 
Titanium Member

Oh, sure there some good Christmas albums. Like this one : https://www.amazon.com/Wolcum-Yule-Celtic-British-Lawrence-King/dp/B0000AZKK4

PostPosted: Fri December 16th, 2016, 22:36 GMT 

Chrissmyass

PostPosted: Sun December 18th, 2016, 01:26 GMT 
Mercury Member

So, coming home from town this evening, the radio station was, as always, tuned to Sirius Outlaw Radio, when what to our delicate ears did appear 'Must Be Santa' ever so dear! Must be Bob Dylan, I exclaimed with a shout! while my husband was wondering 'what the hell' without doubt!
(disclaimer - Jim loves Dylan, but doesn't really care for CITH. I've decided not to divorce him .... yet)

PostPosted: Sun December 18th, 2016, 02:27 GMT 
Promethium Member

rolling_thunder wrote:
Alouette wrote:

You sound like the Grinch whose heart was three times too small... Perhaps if you would listen to Christmas In the Heart a few times a day leading up to Christmas your heart may grow three sizes. Trust me, it will be worth it!!!

PostPosted: Sun December 18th, 2016, 04:48 GMT 

It's an absolutely great record. It has made it difficult to listen to almost any other version of the songs he covers. So many singers just perform the song as a collection of notes. I could do without "Must Be Santa" and "Christmas Island" but they do work very effectively in the way they are sequenced as part of the whole album.

PostPosted: Sun December 18th, 2016, 07:36 GMT 

patford wrote:
It's an absolutely great record. It has made it difficult to listen to almost any other version of the songs he covers. So many singers just perform the song as a collection of notes. I could do without "Must Be Santa" and "Christmas Island" but they do work very effectively in the way they are sequenced as part of the whole album.

Are you ill?

PostPosted: Sun December 18th, 2016, 12:24 GMT 
Promethium Member

The Bob Chistmas album and the two Bob 'Sinatra' releases seem to be a Trilogy of old-folks music.
It seems that if someone likes one, they naturally like all 3.

Is there anyone out there that only likes one or two of this Trilogy, but not them all?
(Guessing not)

PostPosted: Sun December 18th, 2016, 12:36 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
The Bob Chistmas album and the two Bob 'Sinatra' releases seem to be a Trilogy of old-folks music.

Is there anyone out there that only likes one or two of this Trilogy, but not them all?
(Guessing not)

Yes, I really like Wrinkles In The Neck, but can't get on with Fallen Arches and I really f*cking hate Crispness In The Fart.

PostPosted: Sun December 18th, 2016, 14:24 GMT 
Titanium Member

I think a lot of folks have a problem with the album because it is an album of cover versions. They see Bob as the great originator who can hold forth musically on any subject - be it race relations, cowboys, drugs, trans-Atlantic shipping, war, sex, Hollywood, religion or Christmas. They feel let down that Christmas Through The Heart did not contain any original tracks.

Now, I love the record, and try to play it regularly _ including at Easter, Jewish Holidays, Thanksgiving, Ramadan, Vesak Day and at half time during the Superbowl. I think the sentiments and ideas that it expresses are universal and timeless and entirely appropriate for most fun filled occasions involving the whole family. But I do share that wish that it contained more Bob-written material.

Who, for instance, wouldn't love to hear Bob's take on the Nativity, the Virgin Birth or The Three Wise Men? What kind of wonderfully amusing hard rocking song could he come up with involving Santa Claus, a turkey and tinsel? We are left to wonder. The same goes for the Great American Songbook albums.

Long time readers of Expecting Grain will note that I predicted both the Christmas record and the crooner albums. I state now that it is my belief that we have so far only received half the story and these albums are all part of a long-term plan by Bob to rewrite the record books in regard to Christmas and Jazz vocal music.

Just as he did in the folk, blues, rock'n'roll, country and singer-songwriter genres, Bob has been absorbing himself deeply in the traditions of those ouvres and will soon be emerging with something radical and completely different there, such as he did on Freewheelin, Highway 61 Revisited, John Wesley Hardin, Blood on the Tracks, Love and Theft etc.

I, for one, can;t wait to have my blown yet again by this incredible artist. Until then have a Merry Christmas.

PostPosted: Sun December 18th, 2016, 14:55 GMT 
Promethium Member

Mister.Jones wrote:
I think a lot of folks have a problem with the album because it is an album of cover versions.

That's not it, at all, for me.
I absolutely LOVE Good As I Been & World Gone.

PostPosted: Sun December 18th, 2016, 15:04 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:

(Guessing not)

Me.

PostPosted: Sun December 18th, 2016, 15:17 GMT 
Titanium Member

I love Christmas in the heart,
like Shadows in the night & I'm ok with Fallen Angel.

It would be interesting if he recorded an album of fallen Christmas Angel songs

PostPosted: Sun December 18th, 2016, 16:01 GMT 

I really like "Christmas in the Heart" in the sense that it's meaningful to me hearing a singer who has been so important to my life sing songs that linger in the background of so many pleasant childhood memories. But man, I wish his voice was as smooth on it as it is on the Sinatra albums. It's a special album to me, but it's probably his graveliest vocal performance on record, on a group of songs that really demands otherwise.

PostPosted: Sun December 18th, 2016, 16:11 GMT 

rolling_thunder wrote:
Alouette wrote:

LOL...what? Vince Guaraldi? Sinatra? Nat King Cole? Any of dozens of comps of traditional hymns?

The Christmas canon contains some of the most beautifully composed songs in popular history, and they have been interpreted over the years by numerous worthy musicians. Do you have some ulterior motive for dismissing this entire subgenre of music wholesale? Loved one run over by a reindeer?

PostPosted: Sun December 18th, 2016, 20:20 GMT 
Titanium Member

Christmas In the Heart is way ahead of SITN or FA for me - I find those dull for the most part. Christmas In the Heart is not dull.

PostPosted: Sun December 18th, 2016, 21:32 GMT 

agreeing with what it says right above

PostPosted: Sun December 18th, 2016, 22:16 GMT 

I love half the tracks and really like the rest. I wouldn't have imagined genuinely enjoying a bob Christmas album before 2009 but I really do. Also like the fact he gets airplay on BBC radio with 'must be santa' now added to their cheesy Xmas list. I get to prove to workmates bob isn't the dull dreary singer they imagine. :D

PostPosted: Sun December 18th, 2016, 22:21 GMT 

Mister.Jones wrote:
I think a lot of folks have a problem with the album because it is an album of cover versions. They see Bob as the great originator who can hold forth musically on any subject - be it race relations, cowboys, drugs, trans-Atlantic shipping, war, sex, Hollywood, religion or Christmas. They feel let down that Christmas Through The Heart did not contain any original tracks.

Now, I love the record, and try to play it regularly _ including at Easter, Jewish Holidays, Thanksgiving, Ramadan, Vesak Day and at half time during the Superbowl. I think the sentiments and ideas that it expresses are universal and timeless and entirely appropriate for most fun filled occasions involving the whole family. But I do share that wish that it contained more Bob-written material.

Who, for instance, wouldn't love to hear Bob's take on the Nativity, the Virgin Birth or The Three Wise Men? What kind of wonderfully amusing hard rocking song could he come up with involving Santa Claus, a turkey and tinsel? We are left to wonder. The same goes for the Great American Songbook albums.

Long time readers of Expecting Grain will note that I predicted both the Christmas record and the crooner albums. I state now that it is my belief that we have so far only received half the story and these albums are all part of a long-term plan by Bob to rewrite the record books in regard to Christmas and Jazz vocal music.

Just as he did in the folk, blues, rock'n'roll, country and singer-songwriter genres, Bob has been absorbing himself deeply in the traditions of those ouvres and will soon be emerging with something radical and completely different there, such as he did on Freewheelin, Highway 61 Revisited, John Wesley Hardin, Blood on the Tracks, Love and Theft etc.

I, for one, can;t wait to have my blown yet again by this incredible artist. Until then have a Merry Christmas.

Misterjones, where have you been? Have I the right person? The author of the famous Kenny Rodgers thread? How I miss these updates :(

PostPosted: Sun December 18th, 2016, 22:25 GMT 

Is anyone else excited as I am about bobs Christmas lights this year? Will the Nobel be symbolized, will they just stop dead but start again round the corner? What will we be able to read from them this year.

PostPosted: Sun December 18th, 2016, 22:57 GMT 
Titanium Member

Kevin Davis wrote:
rolling_thunder wrote:

LOL...what? Vince Guaraldi? Sinatra? Nat King Cole? Any of dozens of comps of traditional hymns?

The Christmas canon contains some of the most beautifully composed songs in popular history, and they have been interpreted over the years by numerous worthy musicians. Do you have some ulterior motive for dismissing this entire subgenre of music wholesale? Loved one run over by a reindeer?

Nah I just hate most Christmas songs. Too phony for me.

PostPosted: Sun December 18th, 2016, 23:12 GMT 
Titanium Member

I have a real warm feeling for Christmas in the Heart, it is a warmness which I don't have in the same degree for any other Bob Dylan album, this is because it is wonderful, it is a Christmas album, and Bob Dylan did it, which I think is pretty cool as they say.