Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed January 17th, 2018, 13:07 GMT

All times are UTC

At what point does it become socially acceptable to begin playing 'Christmas in the Heart'?
Never. It is never acceptable to play CITH. 19%  19%  [ 21 ]
Perhaps once on Christmas Eve accompanied by a small glass of sherry before bed. 11%  11%  [ 12 ]
It deserves a few spins in the run up to Christmas, and of course, the day itself. 23%  23%  [ 26 ]
From December onwards. 23%  23%  [ 26 ]
In a few weeks time, then it'll be a holiday standard. 9%  9%  [ 10 ]
CITH? It's always playing, I LOVE CHRISTMAS. 16%  16%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 113
PostPosted: Sat November 19th, 2016, 03:25 GMT 
Titanium Member

Md23Rewls wrote:
rolling_thunder wrote:
Never

There's actually good music in the world

Let me guess, you're out on B-horror movies, too?

Some of the most enjoyable things to experience in life are not objectively "good." I will always have a few half-hour spaces in my life to fill with that weirdo album during the holiday season. It's perhaps the most bizarre album in the catalog of one of the most bizarre artists in the history of pop music. Sign me up. Always a fun album, have never regretted listening to it.

To answer thread question, I start into my Christmas music listenership either after first snow or Thanksgiving, whichever comes first.

I like a lot of B movies. Seen a ton of 'em. I like stuff that doesn't suck.

PostPosted: Sat November 19th, 2016, 04:36 GMT 

rolling_thunder wrote:
I like a lot of B movies. Seen a ton of 'em. I like stuff that doesn't suck.

B movies really are the best.

I guess I don't get the outright dismissal. Down in the Groove is a bad album. Christmas in the Heart is not that. If you don't like Christmas music, then there's not much mileage there, and obviously the album has its limitations, but I don't think it's offensively bad. Not like I'm going to listen to it on repeat for a month, but yeah. I just can't knock a Bob Dylan Christmas album. Actually, the opposite. I find it oddly comforting. I'm never going to argue that it's a good album, but I will certainly stand by it is as a respectably interesting experiment.

PostPosted: Sat November 19th, 2016, 14:02 GMT 

When the Christmas album was released, I listened to it on my mp3 player for a year. Sure, there are a few painful vocal moments, but the band plays great throughout. It's just another exceptional Bob album!

I usually don't even think about anything Christmas until after Thanksgiving. The last few years I don't think I got around to playing any Christmas music at all. It's been a rough four years or so and the holidays aren't really my favorite time anymore (especially New Year's).

PostPosted: Fri December 8th, 2017, 06:18 GMT 

Hmmm. I can't be the first to dust-off this seasonal chestnut, can I?

It's been a brutal year for me, but the first listen of 2017 warmed the cockles of my heart.

PostPosted: Fri December 8th, 2017, 06:34 GMT 
Promethium Member

Foggy, here's a hint for you: If you play Christmas In the Heart once or twice a month you can save yourself the time and energy of dusting it off.

PostPosted: Fri December 8th, 2017, 06:39 GMT 

I´ve played it a few times already recently, I bought my own copy about a month ago, finally.
Will probably play it again today, thanks for the reminder...

PostPosted: Fri December 8th, 2017, 07:31 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
Foggy, here's a hint for you: If you play Christmas In the Heart once or twice a month you can save yourself the time and energy of dusting it off.

:lol: But then it would neither be Christmas nor in my heart.

PostPosted: Fri December 8th, 2017, 09:53 GMT 

I can only listen to Christmas music during another time of the year. I HATE the holidays.

So, maybe when it's spring or summer.

PostPosted: Fri December 8th, 2017, 10:02 GMT 

No Christmas music until today (8th December - my daughter's birthday). As I recently posted in the appropriate thread, I like to play the TTRH Christmas episode first. Then my main Christmas albums: a generic hits compilation (Slade, Wizzard, Greg Lake, Pogues, etc.); Phil Spector; The Roches; Jethro Tull; Johnny Coppin; some classical and Christmas carol compilations. Only when I'm very bored and/or very drunk will I turn to Christmas in the Heart. Although it may just be Must Be Santa. It really is a very bad album. Down in the Groove is way better.

PostPosted: Fri December 8th, 2017, 13:53 GMT 
Promethium Member

Foggy wrote:
Untrodden Path wrote:

:lol: But then it would neither be Christmas nor in my heart.

I have Christmas In the Heart year around. It shows in my attitude and the way I treat people. When someone is being a total jerk I think of a song like Must Be Santa (and the video) to remind myself there's more to life that getting caught up in some stupid drama or argument. Adeste Fideles is a constant reminder to never lose faith, no matter how bad things may seem. And the list of inspiration goes on.

Christmas In the Heart is truly like no other album, Dylan or otherwise.

PostPosted: Fri December 8th, 2017, 15:30 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
I have Christmas In the Heart year around. It shows in my attitude and the way I treat people. When someone is being a total jerk I think of a song like Must Be Santa (and the video) to remind myself there's more to life that getting caught up in some stupid drama or argument. Adeste Fideles is a constant reminder to never lose faith, no matter how bad things may seem. And the list of inspiration goes on.

I haven´t figured out yet if you are joking or not with your constant and ultra-exaggerated praise of Christmas in the heart. But one thing´s for sure, if you´re not joking, you need to get it checked, bro :P

PostPosted: Fri December 8th, 2017, 17:05 GMT 

I find inappropriate to listen to Christmas in The Heart before the Holy Night Solemn Mass.
After the Mass, it's time to put Christmas in The Heart back in the closet.

PostPosted: Fri December 8th, 2017, 18:44 GMT 
Promethium Member

wormington wrote:
Untrodden Path wrote:

I haven´t figured out yet if you are joking or not with your constant and ultra-exaggerated praise of Christmas in the heart. But one thing´s for sure, if you´re not joking, you need to get it checked, bro :P

There are some things one should not joke about and the beauty of Christmas In the Heart is one of them.
Giuseppe Gazerro wrote:
I find inappropriate to listen to Christmas In the Heart before the Holy Night Solemn Mass.
After the Mass, it's time to put Christmas In the Heartback in the closet.

I have written letters to the Holy Father beckoning him to declare listening to Christmas In the Heart as part of the Christmas Eve Mass the world over. He has not agreed yet but on the bright side, he has not turned me down. :D

PostPosted: Fri December 8th, 2017, 20:35 GMT 
Titanium Member

When I play it is immaterial , it plays me, like the strings of a beautiful harp.

PostPosted: Sat December 9th, 2017, 01:28 GMT 
Promethium Member

Ain't Talkin' wrote:
When I play it is immaterial , it plays me, like the strings of a beautiful harp.

Words cannot adequately express my gratitude for your wonderful post. For the eloquence and beauty of your statement, you are hereby acknowledged as today's recipient of the Untrodden Path Hero of the Day Award.

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your insights with all of us at Expecting Rain and your presence and contributions make all of us better people. May Christmas In the Heart continue to bring you untold joy during this festive holiday season!

Blessings and best wishes... :D

PostPosted: Sat December 9th, 2017, 01:38 GMT 

Ain’t Talkin’ has received one of Expecting Rain’s highest honors.

I hope you understand that such rewards are not given lightly!

PostPosted: Sat December 9th, 2017, 04:38 GMT 

when i play it, its feels like being inside one of those snow globes, kind of like the new shows, like walking in some dream world, full of beauty and heartbreak.. who spiked my eggnog :shock:

PostPosted: Sat December 9th, 2017, 05:14 GMT 
Titanium Member

ifitwastruetennessee wrote:
when i play it, its feels like being inside one of those snow globes, kind of like the new shows, like walking in some dream world, full of beauty and heartbreak.. who spiked my eggnog :shock:

Another amazing insight about Christmas In the Heart

PostPosted: Sat December 9th, 2017, 12:38 GMT 

This has to be the ultimate "Not sure if serious" thread.

PostPosted: Sat December 9th, 2017, 12:50 GMT 

I find myself sitting here and wondering how many people of Untrodden Path's personal environment have already received Christmas In the Heart as a Christmas present...

(And I'm wondering whether I should buy it or not.)

PostPosted: Sat December 9th, 2017, 13:39 GMT 
Titanium Member

Ain't Talkin' wrote:
:)
ifitwastruetennessee wrote:
Untrodden Path wrote:
I have written letters to the Holy Father beckoning him to declare listening to Christmas In the Heart as part of the Christmas Eve Mass the world over. He has not agreed yet but on the bright side, he has not turned me down. :D
Christmas In the Heart is sublime.
It is impossible to listen to it enough.
I started listening last night

PostPosted: Sat December 9th, 2017, 13:58 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:

Giuseppe Gazerro wrote:
I find inappropriate to listen to Christmas In The Heart before the Holy Night Solemn Mass.
After the Mass, it's time to put Christmas In The Heartback in the closet.

I have written letters to the Holy Father beckoning him to declare listening to Christmas In The Heart as part of the Christmas Eve Mass the world over. He has not agreed yet but on the bright side, he has not turned me down. :D

There's at least one song included in that album - Adeste Fidelis, namely - which is already in the Holy Night Canon.
Not Dylan's version, fortunately.

PostPosted: Tue December 12th, 2017, 04:42 GMT 
Titanium Member

I will have to listen to it this week :)

PostPosted: Mon December 25th, 2017, 04:53 GMT 

Listening to it right now!

PostPosted: Mon December 25th, 2017, 07:34 GMT 

Remember folks - don't drink and CITH.

Or CITH at all, in fact.

Merry Xmas!