Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri June 22nd, 2018, 20:29 GMT

All times are UTC

Does Dylan deserve the Nobel Prize in Literature?
Yes 95%  95%  [ 173 ]
No 5%  5%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 183
PostPosted: Tue February 13th, 2018, 00:24 GMT 

a question impossible to answer, but not a really important question either.

they gave him the price, that's fine with me. there have been questionable choices before, so people will get over it. of course bob looks odd among great writers like hamsun or t.s.eliot who wrote in different spheres. also, you really can't take the whole thing seriously with glaring omissions like henry miller or fante or kerouac, so it's in many ways similar to the rock n roll hall of fame.

the only thing irking me is that dylan does not write literature. never has, never will. so, why the nobel prize in literature? he is no novelist, in the same way he is no filmmaker (see renaldo & c), no role model for political issues, no actor (see hearts of fire), or no lead guitarist (see tight connection video).

but they made a point. no problem, carry on.

PostPosted: Tue February 13th, 2018, 12:01 GMT 

:lol: Hes certainly no bob dylan.

PostPosted: Tue February 13th, 2018, 12:56 GMT 
Titanium Member

sammy's_cat wrote:

they gave him the price, that's fine.

Sam, when one clearly has a loose grip on the English language, one does not qualify to comment on this subject of great import. I'm guessing maybe English is a second language for you, and that gives you some room. However, your self absorbed assumption of your own position of greatness in deciding who qualifies and who does not is aiming in the wrong direction.
I think you would be far more successful judging cat shows.

PostPosted: Tue February 13th, 2018, 17:05 GMT 

sammy's_cat wrote:
you really can't take the whole thing seriously with glaring omissions like henry miller or fante or kerouac

Or indeed with the glaring omissions of dozens of other great european, southamerican or asian authors, even if they fall outside of the almighty USA literature :roll:

And btw, I don´t know if he actually deserved the Nobel prize or not, but Bob was for sure a much more worthy winner than Kerouac

PostPosted: Tue February 13th, 2018, 17:53 GMT 

wormington wrote:
I don´t know if he actually deserved the Nobel prize or not, but Bob was for sure a much more worthy winner than Kerouac
Ginsberg's schoolboy crush? I heard he was a good linebacker

PostPosted: Tue February 13th, 2018, 17:56 GMT 

wormington wrote:
And btw, I don´t know if he actually deserved the Nobel prize or not, but Bob was for sure a much more worthy winner than Kerouac

That I would disagree with, and I've only read a few of Kerouac's novels (Big Sur I especially liked). He's just a huge (yes, American) literary figure with a very large output of books, including one of the classics of 20th c. lit. But I think Bob deserved it. (I would have given it to Roberto Bolaño before both of them though :o ).

PostPosted: Wed February 14th, 2018, 04:13 GMT 

I mean, no. But hopefully he's enjoyed the kick of it all. More power to the dude.

If there was a Nobel Prize in Music and some author won over Dylan for their collected readings of poetry, people would be flipping the f*ck out.

PostPosted: Wed February 14th, 2018, 04:39 GMT 

Md23Rewls wrote:
If there was a Nobel Prize in Music and some author won over Dylan for their collected readings of poetry, people would be flipping the f*ck out.
This is pure theory - poems can't stand alone as music, no matter how broad your definition of music. Lyrics can stand alone as poems - based on a broad definition of poetry.

Or are you talking about a poet putting out a spoken word album and competing in the music space?? If someone could win for that, I think there'd be props offered.

PostPosted: Wed February 14th, 2018, 18:11 GMT 

"The world's most famous set of awards are the Nobel Prizes. Presented for outstanding achievement in literature, peace, economics, medicine and the sciences, they were created a century ago by Alfred B. Nobel (1833-1896), a man who amassed his fortune by producing explosives. Among other things, Nobel invented dynamite."

"You do nothing, but build to destroy"

Does Alfred Nobels prize deserve to have Dylan.

PostPosted: Thu February 15th, 2018, 21:51 GMT 

AndoDoug wrote:
Md23Rewls wrote:
This is pure theory - poems can't stand alone as music, no matter how broad your definition of music. Lyrics can stand alone as poems - based on a broad definition of poetry.

Or are you talking about a poet putting out a spoken word album and competing in the music space?? If someone could win for that, I think there'd be props offered.

It's an absurd hypothetical, I'll readily admit, though I would argue no more absurd than the fact that just 10 people on this forum voted "No" on the poll question. If the music did not exist -- and in this equation, it cannot -- and Dylan had simply written the songs literally as poetry starting in the 60's, odds are that nobody would even know who he is right now. Dylan won the award for his impact on music, not his impact on poetry. He had little impact on poetry or literature, unless we're bending the term "literature" to include the literal music. Which I don't think we can do. So no guitars, no harmonica, no SINGING, no drums, no organ, no piano, none of that. Just the words on the page.

I love Dylan, love his lyrics, love his music, just to be clear.

PostPosted: Fri February 16th, 2018, 04:08 GMT 

Much of the pro Dylan Nobel argument is based on placing his work within the bardic traditions, from Greco-Roman poetics thru the Anglo-Saxon traditions, etc. If we follow that line of thinking, then yes, I can clearly see where Dylan fits into it all in a uniquely American way. Read/listen to the Nobel pronouncement, and Dylan's response.

PostPosted: Fri February 16th, 2018, 11:26 GMT 

he gets it just for desolation row

PostPosted: Sat February 17th, 2018, 22:23 GMT 
Titanium Member

Md23Rewls wrote:
He had little impact on poetry

Really? And you know this how?

PostPosted: Sat February 17th, 2018, 23:29 GMT 
Promethium Member

Well, i hafta say I’m still pretty much astounded he got it.
It’s amazing really. I think it’s great he won...um...
...but...I just still don’t really know enough about the Nobel Literature
Prize to ascertain or even comment on if he deserved it or not.
Outside of my job description & skill set.
I humbly defer to the Nobel experts here and on the Nobel committee.

Regardless of accolades, just really happy to live on the same planet, and
in the same timeframe, as Bob. Lucky us.