Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue November 21st, 2017, 15:48 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue October 11th, 2016, 19:40 GMT 

GuillemTM wrote:
I've always loved that album and its live feel. Vocals are great and I like the instruments sound in it.

Every grain of sand is obviously a masterpiece and the rest are minor songs, but many of them they really work. I really like the power of the start with Shot of kove, Heart of mine is great, I really like the Lenny Bruce feel, In the summertime is catchy for me and Trouble is powerful for me too. More recently I got more into Watered-down love too.

I really liked the album years ago hearing its vinyl version and Groom's still waiting at the alter kind of doesn't belong there for me. I like it anyway.

Dead man, dead man and Property of Jesus are the weakest for me.

I dunno. Trouble is awful and Dead Man at least conjures a vision of the opposing divorce lawyers.

PostPosted: Tue October 11th, 2016, 19:43 GMT 

I've always loved this album and never understood the flak it gets. I also never minded Chuck Plotkin's production on it, even if it's a bit dated now. To me it sounds 'good dated' rather than 'bad dated' (ie, When The Night Comes Falling From The Sky) Here's my track by track breakdown for what it's worth:

Shot of Love - Awesome groove, the outtake version where the piano is more prominent rolls along even sweeter. I can imagine anyone who undergoes a whole-hearted religious conversion in their late 30s must face a lot of bewilderment and even hostility from the people in their lives. This song seems to take an honest look at the isolation and confusion Dylan must have felt over those couple of years. Some great vengeful lyrics in there too: "Why would I want to take your life?/You've only murdered my father, raped his wife/Tatooed my babies with a poisoned pen/Mocked my God, humiliated my friends" Very Mod-Bob, that verse could have come straight off Tempest.

Heart of Mine - Great pop song, could have been a hit in another time and place. The Biograph version is wonderful too. Here's a cool video of Dylan (on keyboard) playing it live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY39GVzw84w

Property of Jesus - The keyboards drag this one down for me, it's probably the most dated of the SoL tracks in my opinion. That said, some lovely backing vocals. I prefer the lonely, awake-worrying-all-night vibe of Shot of Love (the song) to the quite literally holier-than-thou tone of this one.

Lenny Bruce - I've always found this one a bit odd. The "or cut off any babies heads" line always jars because it's so out of place with the rest of the lyrics and the tone of the music. Don't get me wrong, I love a horribly violent Dylan lyric as much as the next guy but this doesn't fit here. I think this one was best with The Heartbreakers in '86/'87.

Watered Down Love - Another solid pop song in the same vein as Heart of Mine. Great organ part, especially the little flourishes right before the chorus!

Groom's Still Waiting at the Altar
- Absolutely balls out, what a groove. This song is awesome, I get goosebumps just reading the lyrics: "Cities on fire, phones out of order/They're killing nuns and soldiers, there's fighting on the border/What can I say about Claudette? Ain't seen her since January/She could be respectably married or running a whorehouse in Buenos Aires." How can you not love this one? Wish he'd bring it back to his live show in the place of Early Roman Kings.

Dead Man, Dead Man - Lyrically, this is one of my favourite songs on the album, not so much because of its sentiment or message, but just because there are so many wonderful images: "Satan got you by the heel, there's a bird's nest in your hair."...."The tuxedo that you're wearin', the flower in your lapel"...."Cobwebs in your mind, Dust upon your eyes." I also love the opening line, what a putdown: "Uttering idle words from a reprobate mind". The plodding reggae inspired groove of the album version is cool, but the live versions from 1981 are off the chart. Honourable mention to the Heartbreakers versions too, these guys really knew how to handle any gospel years material Bob threw at them! Wembley Arena, 1987: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3it8ao

In the Summertime - Nice song, nothing special lyrics wise but enjoyable nontheless. There are some cool versions from Fall 2002 with lovely harmonies from Larry and Charlie. I love the harmonica on the album version.

Trouble - I like that jagged riff even if the drums sound like they're fighting their way out of a wet sack. Yeah it's just an excuse for a jam and most of the lyrics are filler fluff, but I always loved the final verse: "Nightclubs of the broken-hearted, stadiums of the damned. Legislature, perverted nature, doors that are rudely slammed.
Look into infinity, all you see is trouble." I love when Dylan is moaning about how the world has gone to hell, which to be fair is a substantial chunk of his back catalogue.

Every Grain of Sand - Never really got into this one in a big way, despite everyone saying it's the best thing on the album (or not on the album in the case of the Bootleg Series version). I can see why people rate it so highly, it's just never been a favourite of mine.

Honorary mention to Angelina, an absolute blinder of an outtake full of really rich imagery:
"His eyes were two slits, make any snake proud
With a face that any painter would paint as he walked through the crowd
Worshipping a god with the body of a woman well endowed
And the head of a hyena"

PostPosted: Tue October 11th, 2016, 20:23 GMT 

there are a lot of good posts here,
this turned into a good thread,
i would only add that
"property of jesus" has a great groove
and if you try to hear it as
a response to the holier-than-thou
you can find a lot of humility in its faith

PostPosted: Tue October 11th, 2016, 20:31 GMT 
Titanium Member

As good as the album is, the album cover is easily among Dylan's worst

PostPosted: Tue October 11th, 2016, 20:37 GMT 
Promethium Member

Shot of Love. Good album. Underrated. Ages well.

PostPosted: Tue October 11th, 2016, 20:38 GMT 

Nightingale's Code wrote:

The cover is God awful. I think the original cover of Saved is way better, even though that's awful too.

PostPosted: Tue October 11th, 2016, 21:17 GMT 
Titanium Member

That video of Bob playing keyboards on Heart of mine is like some weird flash forward to the circus organ days. Great stuff!

PostPosted: Tue October 11th, 2016, 21:59 GMT 
Titanium Member

TimeandTempo wrote:

Side A
Heart of Mine
Property of Jesus
Watered-Down Love
Need A Woman
Angelina

Side B
The Groom's Still Waiting at the Altar
You Changed My Life
In The Summertime
Caribbean Wind
Every Grain Of Sand

Nice. You 86'd all the duff tracks like a razor through hot butter, while retaining POJ. I can imagine some wanting to dump POJ, but I have a fondness for it. Sequencing is good except that a lighterweight song like ITS should be a buffer btw. a great song like EGOS. I'd move CW to perhaps the opening spot on side two and move TGSWATA to somewhere on side one, maybe second before closing of side one. This sequence of LP's would have gone Slow Train Coming / Saved / Every Grain of Sand.

PostPosted: Tue October 11th, 2016, 22:01 GMT 
Titanium Member

For me, In The Summertime isn't a weak song at all, it's one of his strongest of the decade.

PostPosted: Tue October 11th, 2016, 22:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

^ I don't say ITS is "weak". I like it quite a bit. It's just a scrawnier (but still scrappy) carrot in that stew. Kind of like SOL itself. The sequence that TimeandTempo put together is a high ranking middleweight.

Last edited by Ain't Talkin' on Tue October 11th, 2016, 22:10 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue October 11th, 2016, 22:10 GMT 
Titanium Member

I understand. I just happen to like the scrappy stuff. :)

PostPosted: Tue October 11th, 2016, 22:40 GMT 

deplorable after the Lennon assassination

PostPosted: Wed October 12th, 2016, 05:17 GMT 
Mercury Member

I don't see that at all.

PostPosted: Wed October 12th, 2016, 05:54 GMT 

I always loved the picture on the backside, Dylan looking at the rose.
Wasn't there also a different cover for the South American release of that album?

PostPosted: Wed October 12th, 2016, 07:19 GMT 

leavinclaud wrote:
I don't see that at all.

Neither can I. The idea never entered my head in thirty-five years until I read this. I think Dylan was thinking of a different kind of shot and the lyrics support this.

PostPosted: Wed October 12th, 2016, 09:22 GMT 

Location: In the valley of the giants where the stars and stripes explode
Nothing wrong with the cover imho. I like it!
There are much, much worse ones!

PostPosted: Wed October 12th, 2016, 12:18 GMT 
Promethium Member

Crazy that Angelina ending up on the cutting room floor. Great song.
Caribbean Wind, too, but Angelina is such a standout, a Dylan fave over here.

Wasn't there another tune named Magic too? Can't recall if I've ever heard it or not.
Anyone here have a link to that?

PostPosted: Wed October 12th, 2016, 16:27 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Wasn't there another tune named Magic too? Can't recall if I've ever heard it or not.
Anyone here have a link to that?

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIy_RYZrWT8

I get the feeling there's lots from this era that we don't know even exists. I look forward to it as a future Bootleg Series release once Sony have finished mining all the 'golden years'...

PostPosted: Wed October 12th, 2016, 19:58 GMT 

WrittenInMySoul wrote:
I always loved the picture on the backside, Dylan looking at the rose.
Wasn't there also a different cover for the South American release of that album?

rear sleeve apparently Image

PostPosted: Wed October 12th, 2016, 20:06 GMT 

leavinclaud wrote:
I don't see that at all.

Perhaps you weren't around back then. I believe it gets called out in the title song, for that matter ("a man there who hates me").

PostPosted: Wed October 12th, 2016, 20:28 GMT 

I love SOL! Groom Still Waiting and Every Grain are two of my very favorite tracks. I recommend searching out the live 1980 performance of Groom included in the recent Michael Bloomfield box set, man is it raw and scorching

Except that Groom was not included in the original release.

PostPosted: Wed October 12th, 2016, 20:33 GMT 

monklover wrote:
leavinclaud wrote:
I don't see that at all.

Perhaps you weren't around back then. I believe it gets called out in the title song, for that matter ("a man there who hates me").

I was around back then. I never heard such an allegation, of course we were all isolated without internet, then. It doesn't make sense from the lyrics to me. The 'man' you mention refers back to the previous verse, the one who murdered his father, raped the father's wife and so forth. In that verse where he sings of the 'man there who hates me', he also rejects a Veronica and a Mavis, which brings to my mind that 'man' in Trouble In Mind that offers 'another woman for ya', who's 'gonna build a bird's nest in your hair'.

PostPosted: Wed October 12th, 2016, 20:48 GMT 

monklover wrote:
leavinclaud wrote:
I don't see that at all.

I've never came across this before. Can you tell me more? Can't see any anti-Lennon thing if thats whats being implied, was thee bad feeling between them?
the full lyric of that verse..
Don’t wanna be with nobody tonight
Veronica not around nowhere, Mavis just ain’t right
There’s a man that hates me and he’s swift, smooth and near
Am I supposed to set back and wait until he’s here?

I bought the album on release and its always brought back good memories of first seeing him at Earl's Court in 1981

PostPosted: Sun October 22nd, 2017, 14:38 GMT 
Titanium Member

There's a great piece on the album here, with new interviews from Chuck Plotkin, Fred Tackett and Benmont Tench.
https://damienlove.com/writing/a-hole-f ... t-of-love/

Really interesting.

PostPosted: Sun October 22nd, 2017, 15:06 GMT 
Titanium Member

monklover wrote:
leavinclaud wrote:
I don't see that at all.

I was around back then. I was a teenager. I remember seeing the cover in a Christian book store. The release coincided with the onset of puberty for me. Confusing thoughts let me tell you.