Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun November 19th, 2017, 16:08 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun October 22nd, 2017, 15:28 GMT 

Nightingale's Code wrote:
As good as the album is, the album cover is easily among Dylan's worst

Not if you appreciate the works of Roy Lichtenstein.

johnh wrote:
WrittenInMySoul wrote:
I always loved the picture on the backside, Dylan looking at the rose.
Wasn't there also a different cover for the South American release of that album?

rear sleeve apparently Image

From http://www.searchingforagem.com/1980s/I ... nal026.htm :
"The original rear sleeve design using a Cadillac was withdrawn and was only used for the original 1981 Brazilian release, probably by mistake."

PostPosted: Mon October 23rd, 2017, 10:26 GMT 
Promethium Member

Pretty good Shot Of Love article from today’s front page:
https://damienlove.com/writing/a-hole-f ... t-of-love/

PostPosted: Mon October 23rd, 2017, 15:46 GMT 

Until reading this thread, I'd always misheard the lyric as

"There’s a man that hates me, and he sweats through the mirror.
Am I supposed to set back and wait until he’s here?"

Regarding the album cover, I'm not a fan of Roy Lichenstein. But what do I know? In 2011, his piece below sold for $43.2 million.

PostPosted: Mon October 23rd, 2017, 16:31 GMT 
Titanium Member

I’ve always loved it, never got the hate.

PostPosted: Mon October 23rd, 2017, 20:14 GMT 

It's a strong album. It's also NOT part of this mythical trilogy of
religious albums that Sony are trying to sell it as.
It reminds me of 'Street Legal' (although its not as good as SL in my opinion)
It's also one of Dylan's favourite albums.
'Watered Down Love' & 'Property Of Jesus' let it down a little, as other posters
have pointed out, there were much better outtakes than some of the tracks
that ended up on the album.

PostPosted: Mon October 23rd, 2017, 21:02 GMT 

The Shot Of Love sessions produced some of the best songs Dylan ever wrote - Groom, Every Grain of Sand, Caribbean Wind, Angelina. Absolute career highlights for me and it's mental that only one of those made it onto the original album. There was a handful of other great tracks too; Shot of Love, Heart of Mine, You Changed My Life, In the Summertime. It really should have been one of his greatest albums but he didn't stick the landing. Poor tracklist and a mediocre cover do it no favours at all.

That said, I still love it and revisit the album/outtakes all the time.

PostPosted: Tue October 24th, 2017, 04:39 GMT 

It's a really fun album, which just so happens to have one of his most rocking songs ("Groom...") and one of his most beautiful with Every Grain of Sand. I was pretty much obsessed with this album for a while (I guess the username hints at that), I thought it was great to drive to and just blast when I needed something fun to listen to. I don't listen to it nearly as much but I still consider it a decent album. So besides those two songs..

1. Heart of Mine is a nice little tune, though of course once I heard the Biograph version I'm always tempted to replace it on the album when I'm listening on Spotify

2. I always underestimate Property of Jesus, but its pretty enjoyable to me. I think I have to be in a certain mood for it though.

3. Lenny Bruce.... I'm glad it exists only because it's so weird.

4. Watered-Down Love is a funky pop song. I don't think it's supposed to be more than that

5. Dead Man, Dead Man has some good lines, and a pretty brutal vocal

6. In The Summertime is a sweet song, and I like the harmonica on it

7. Trouble can be enjoyable, but like Property of Jesus I think I really have to want to listen to it to enjoy it, which isn't too often.

I heard this is Ron Sexsmith's favorite Dylan album. I wouldn't go that far, but it's certainly enjoyable to listen to if you're looking to blast something. However much Dylan himself likes this album, I don't think he was going for a "masterpiece" kind of album. He just wanted to jam, and they wound up releasing those sessions without really mixing it. I think he also so the value in Every Grain of Sand and put it on the album just to get it out there. If anything this gave him more material to take on the road, some of the live renditions of these songs are really nice.

I think there was a comment made by Leonard Cohen about Shot of Love. Apparently he read an article saying that there was only one masterpiece on the album, and he remarked that people act as though one masterpiece isn't enough. He definitely had a point (and he should know, to me I think nearly all his songs are just that, and I can't think of one that isn't at least really good)

However the argument isn't really the material as much as how he put together said material. That's certainly understandable. You look at an album like Blood On The Tracks and aside from having I think some of the greatest songs ever it's also structured perfectly. He also took time to re-record some of the songs (I guess we should really thank his brother David for that). The argument could be made that Dylan had a reason to do all that, he knew they were important songs. That said, his faith was very important to him, and the songs were tied to his beliefs. If he didn't dislike the clean sound of records like Slow Train Coming, Shot of Love might have been a more appealing record for some people.

But I'm basically rambling on at this point. People should at least give the album a shot (I know). If they like it, great. If not, the man made so many amazing records that they can listen to.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 08:40 GMT 

I don't have a problem with the cover. I do have a problem with most of the content, the exception being Every Grain of Sand!

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 09:22 GMT 

I really like Lenny Bruce, although I had to look up Synanon.

It's one of the last songs, at least in that period, which Dylan actually sings properly. It's within his range and he comes across.

I know it's dumb to wonder what songs are really about but this song makes a lot more sense thinking of John Lennon than Lenny Bruce.

The sheer chutzpah of some of the lines. 'I rode with him in a taxi once , only took half an hour, felt like it took a couple of months' The audacity of the man, hats off.

The version with the Heartbreakers in the Hard to Handle video with Mr Tench bashing the keyboards is excellent.