Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue October 17th, 2017, 20:47 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1071 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
PostPosted: Thu January 5th, 2017, 22:51 GMT 

DCB wrote:
After a single listen to both acoustic and electric sets for each concert in the box, I have been going through repeated listens to individual electric sets to appreciate the nuances of the playing by the Hawks. Currently I am listening to the Belfast show.

During "Tell Me Mama" on this show, Robbie peels off a single-string, Tombstone Blues style riff twice on one of the choruses that I don't recall hearing on any of the other shows. He only plays the riff twice on the second chorus between Dylan's vocals. It's a great little bluesy riff. It's these unique little nuances to each show that make them all essential additions, and I'm glad Sony released them all.

Another favorite moment from the Belfast show is the cheer of recognition from the audience when Dylan starts singing the opening lines of Like a Rolling Stone.

Somebody Naked wrote:
I'm currently of the opinion that the best version of Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues is from Belfast.

Belfast is a great show from start to finish. It's one of the best shows included in this box. Those riffs during Tell Me, Momma are indeed awesome. This concert has my new favorite versions of Desolation Row and One Too Many Mornings. Great organ playing in the latter song. Too bad there's no Baby Blue. Over on the Steve Hoffman forums there's some debate about whether Alderson forgot to record it or Dylan simply didn't play it. This is the first show that we know of where Dylan dedicates LARS to the Taj Mahal. He doesn't do it again until Paris, although he does dedicate LSPBH to the Taj Mahal in Edinburgh I believe.

PostPosted: Sun January 8th, 2017, 01:17 GMT 

Finally ive received my most anticipated, but belated gift from sanity clause. :D

I was amazed how small the box was, but thrilled. Of course ive heard most of it through other ways :roll: . I couldn't wait till Xmas. It feels very much like they went with the Scorpio sets box set.

My worry, after coaxing, was i found out it was bought on eBay, £80. Used once apparently. Are there fakes out there? Doubt it but thought id ask.

Sony have been good to Dylan fans on this one, price and content, good on them.

PostPosted: Mon January 9th, 2017, 11:54 GMT 

escapeedrifter wrote:
Finally ive received my most anticipated, but belated gift from sanity clause. :D

I was amazed how small the box was, but thrilled. Of course ive heard most of it through other ways :roll: . I couldn't wait till Xmas. It feels very much like they went with the Scorpio sets box set.

My worry, after coaxing, was i found out it was bought on eBay, £80. Used once apparently. Are there fakes out there? Doubt it but thought id ask.

Sony have been good to Dylan fans on this one, price and content, good on them.

If the bloke at Manchester shouts "Steve!" instead of "Judas!", then its a fake.

PostPosted: Mon January 9th, 2017, 12:13 GMT 
Titanium Member

That's quite reassuring to hear that the boxes are maintaining most of their value on the second hand market.

PostPosted: Mon January 9th, 2017, 17:33 GMT 

Is there any reason the 26.5.66 London performance is not listed as being previously released on Biograph? Or is it just a typo?

PostPosted: Mon January 9th, 2017, 23:20 GMT 

Ballad of a Thin Man/Like a Rolling Stone from Glasgow is the most intense live Dylan music I've ever heard.

PostPosted: Mon January 9th, 2017, 23:33 GMT 

ForeignSun wrote:
Ballad of a Thin Man/Like a Rolling Stone from Glasgow is the most intense live Dylan music I've ever heard.

Lately I have felt that way about LARS from RAH1.

PostPosted: Tue January 10th, 2017, 11:29 GMT 

ForeignSun wrote:

I noticed on lars glasgow he goes 'quiet' during the 3rd chorus, think its the third. Just reminded me of the 2004 glasgow show where the exact same thing happens during lars (and just like a woman). Although in 66 it could be the musicians drowning him out, in 04 it was us :D .

This is just the best release i could have hoped for.

PostPosted: Tue January 10th, 2017, 13:19 GMT 
Promethium Member

ForeignSun wrote:

Making my way over to that one again, yes...

PostPosted: Wed January 11th, 2017, 23:24 GMT 

There is a great post on the Steve Hoffman thread highlighting eight questions put together for Richard Alderson which he took some time to generously answer.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/b ... 5/page-240

its about half way down the page

PostPosted: Thu January 12th, 2017, 20:20 GMT 

darkstar wrote:
There is a great post on the Steve Hoffman thread highlighting eight questions put together for Richard Alderson which he took some time to generously answer.

It can't be that great - I wrote it...

PostPosted: Thu January 12th, 2017, 21:39 GMT 
Titanium Member

Thanks for that, pol2jem. Richard Alderson's insights are fascinating. Could you possibly put a notice in this thread when you post part two?

PostPosted: Thu January 12th, 2017, 21:44 GMT 
Mercury Member

Yeah - I'm very much looking forward to reading some more of Richard's responses - great post!

PostPosted: Thu January 12th, 2017, 23:24 GMT 

darkstar wrote:

Fantastic stuff. It would be interesting to have a complete list of the equipment/set-up used by Alderson. Instead of having Heylin (who was not there) do the liner notes they should have done a thorough interview with Alderson to go with the box.

I for one would be interested to know if they only had one Nagra machine which was used by Alderson to tape the shows and by Pennebaker's crew to tape additional sound bites for the film (interviews etc.). Or did they have one Nagra each?

PostPosted: Fri January 13th, 2017, 19:49 GMT 

My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:
darkstar wrote:

Fantastic stuff. It would be interesting to have a complete list of the equipment/set-up used by Alderson. Instead of having Heylin (who was not there) do the liner notes they should have done a thorough interview with Alderson to go with the box.

I for one would be interested to know if they only had one Nagra machine which was used by Alderson to tape the shows and by Pennebaker's crew to tape additional sound bites for the film (interviews etc.). Or did they have one Nagra each?

In case you missed it, upthread on SHF was an interview with Richard by the mighty "notesfrom". It contains some information about the equipment as well as many other memories. Enlightening stuff... post #5878

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/b ... 5/page-236

#

PostPosted: Fri January 13th, 2017, 22:42 GMT 

pol2jem wrote:

In case you missed it, upthread on SHF was an interview with Richard by the mighty "notesfrom". It contains some information about the equipment as well as many other memories. Enlightening stuff... post #5878

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/b ... 5/page-236

Thanks for the hint!

PostPosted: Sat January 14th, 2017, 12:11 GMT 

Interview with Alderson from 2011: http://tapeop.com/interviews/84/richard-alderson/

Some info on Gaslight and 1966.

PostPosted: Sat January 14th, 2017, 13:29 GMT 

Interview with Alderson from 2011: http://tapeop.com/interviews/84/richard-alderson/

Some info on Gaslight and 1966.

great interview, very informative

PostPosted: Sun January 15th, 2017, 13:58 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
Thanks for that, pol2jem. Richard Alderson's insights are fascinating. Could you possibly put a notice in this thread when you post part two?

I've posted Part 2

PostPosted: Sun January 15th, 2017, 14:26 GMT 

pol2jem wrote:
gibsona07 wrote:

I've posted Part 2

awesome, thanks for all of your efforts! fingers crossed for part 3!

PostPosted: Sun January 15th, 2017, 15:02 GMT 

pol2jem wrote:
gibsona07 wrote:

I've posted Part 2

Thanks a lot, again fascinating stuff!

PostPosted: Sun January 15th, 2017, 15:07 GMT 
Titanium Member

Thanks pol2jem! :)

PostPosted: Sun January 15th, 2017, 15:21 GMT 
Mercury Member

I just noticed this post on Steve Hoffman, but there doesn't seem to be a link (or it has been taken down)... anyone?

"I've had a short break from contributing here, slowly working my way through the task of getting everything NOT present on this box and The Cutting Edge into some kind of order. Ultimately, I have been through a few shows several times, and made some executive descisions on what to keep and what to get rid of. Here's what I've written to accompany the stuff I've assembled. I am very happy to share this with people, however, it's mammoth in size - around 3GB. I have no idea where is good to upload this. I can put it in my dropbox for a while, but will need to reclaim that space sooner rather than later, so all ideas welcome.

A huge thanks goes to everyone who has contributed here in working out what was missing initially, but also for providing brilliant commentary to the box that has made it even more enjoyable to work through.

Here's all the blurb I've written up:

LIVE66+

In the 1966 Live Recordings Box Set several recordings omit gaps between songs and partial sections of songs (notably Bristol, where an audience tape circulates but only a portion of ‘One Too Many Mornings’ is presented on the box set, Edinburgh does similarly with ‘Desolation Row’). The selection of material below hopes to fill in the gaps and provide alternate versions to those presented on the 1966 Live Recordings. There is a lot of overlapping material with that which has already seen release. Sydney, for example, mostly omitted the silence between songs on the official release. Rather than edit together these sections of silence, it seemed wiser to include the entire show with them in place (though I can tell you it was an interesting experience doing the former, but quickly abandoned).

In chronological order (the folders are prefaced by the relevant CD# in the box set):

February 6, Pittsburgh - opening tuning to ‘Like a Rolling Stone’ (only a few seconds).
February 26, Hempstead - fragment of audience tape missing. A few seconds at the end of ‘Mr Tambourine Man’ going into ‘Tell Me, Momma’. An audience member shouts. No music was missing, and, as the rest of the gap between the song/set is unavailable, this was not included.
April 13, Sydney - First tiny snippet of ‘She Belongs to Me’ is missing. Silences are shortened between tracks on the new box set. Entire show and intermission included here.
April 20, Melbourne - Main omission: ‘Mr Tambourine Man’ fragment not included on the new set. In between song silence has been trimmed down on the new set. Entire circulating Melbourne show included here without edits.
April 29, Stockholm - The best version of the audience tape that I could find is included here, and is certainly a step up from the one on the box (which appears to come straight from Jewels and Binoculars).
May 5 Belfast – ‘I Don't Believe You’ from Biograph is included as it has a different sound, though is undoubtedly from the same source.
May 10 Bristol – ‘Only One Too Many Mornings’ from the electric portion is really required, but the sound on Away from the Past, the bootleg this is sourced from, is slightly clearer than the one used on the box set, so the entire thing is included for the sake of it.
May 14, Liverpool – ‘Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues’ single version is included here, as it is in fact the Liverpool version with the opening bars from Belfast tacked on the front.
May 15, Leicester - incomplete audience recording from Jewels and Binoculars included here for the sake of completion.
May 16, Sheffield – ‘Tell Me Momma’ included here. It is most likely the Alderson recording, in very bad quality, however it is included just in case it has any link to the CBS recording of the show - for completion's sake only.
May 17, Manchester -CBS recording of five tracks from the acoustic show.
May 20, Edinburgh - Complete audience tape.
I have decided against including the Guitars Kissing… and Royal Albert Hall acetate-sourced bootlegs, despite their provenance differing from the box, as, in my opinion, they add little to what exists on the box set (the same could be argued for much of what I have included, I realise!).

There are, in a separate folder, the excerpts of press conferences that circulate, and one radio show. This, along with the 1966 Live Recordings, The Cutting Edge and its counterpart Crawling on the Cutting Room Floor and No Direction Home presents pretty much everything available of 1966 Dylan. For the sake of completeness I have also included the Eat the Document disc from Jewels and Binoculars."

PostPosted: Sun January 15th, 2017, 16:16 GMT 

Collated information about Alderson's 1966 sound system

Microphones (said to have been 10 in all):

1x Bob vocal
1x Bob acoustic guitar (removed from stage before electric set)
1x Bob electric guitar
1x Robbie guitar
1x Rick bass
1x Garth organ
1x Richard piano
1x Bob vocal piano
1x Mickey bass drum (visible in Sony promo film "The Untold Story (...)" at 03:59)
1x Mickey overhead (visible in Sony promo film "The Untold Story (...)" at 09:33)

Sennheiser 421 or 441 – on the instruments
Sennheiser MKH 404 – Bob vocal
Neumann U-67 – Mickey overhead

(additional microphones can be seen in footage from the shows taped by CBS)

---

Mixers/compressors/amps:

2x Altec 1567 mixer
1 (?) x Teletronix LA-2A "compressor" (leveling amplifier)
?x Macintosh 275 amp

"The hook up would have been: bass, drums, piano, organ, & Robbie guitar in one mixer, and Bob’s vocal and guitar in the other with the compressor in line." (Alderson in "Percy Song" interview pt. 1)

---

Stage monitors:

2x Altec 604

---

House speakers:

4x Klipsch La Scala

---

Recording equipment:

1x Nagra III NP
1x Beyer headphones
Scotch tapes

"The tape feed would have been the tape outs of the mixers, again combined with an audio transformer. The 1567 has five main channels and a tape out which bypasses the volume and eq." (Alderson in "Percy Song" interview pt. 1)

[I think that there was a second Nagra III NP used by the film crew, mainly Jones Alk.]

---

Can anybody add any information to this list?

How was the exact set-up? Can somebody draw a chart of it?

Where did Alderson set up the tape recorder? On the side of the stage?

There was no mixing board positioned out in the audience as is customary today, right?

---

Since the sound system was build twice* (for Hawaii/Australia and again for Europe) I think that there is a good chance of paperwork/invoices of Alderson's orders for the equipment surviving in the estate of Albert Grossman or in Dylan's office/archive.

*paid for by Ashes and Sand, Inc. (Dylan's/Grossman's production company)

PostPosted: Sun January 15th, 2017, 16:57 GMT 

Collated information about Alderson's 1966 sound system

Microphones (said to have been 10 in all):

1x Bob vocal
1x Bob acoustic guitar (removed from stage before electric set)
1x Bob electric guitar
1x Robbie guitar
1x Rick bass
1x Garth organ
1x Richard piano
1x Bob vocal piano
1x Mickey bass drum (visible in Sony promo film "The Untold Story (...)" at 03:59)
1x Mickey overhead (visible in Sony promo film "The Untold Story (...)" at 09:33)

Sennheiser 421 or 441 – on the instruments
Sennheiser MKH 404 – Bob vocal
Neumann U-67 – Mickey overhead

(additional microphones can be seen in footage from the shows taped by CBS)

---

Mixers/compressors/amps:

2x Altec 1567 mixer
1 (?) x Teletronix LA-2A "compressor" (leveling amplifier)
?x Macintosh 275 amp

"The hook up would have been: bass, drums, piano, organ, & Robbie guitar in one mixer, and Bob’s vocal and guitar in the other with the compressor in line." (Alderson in "Percy Song" interview pt. 1)

---

Stage monitors:

2x Altec 604

---

House speakers:

4x Klipsch La Scala

---

Recording equipment:

1x Nagra III NP
1x Beyer headphones
Scotch tapes

"The tape feed would have been the tape outs of the mixers, again combined with an audio transformer. The 1567 has five main channels and a tape out which bypasses the volume and eq." (Alderson in "Percy Song" interview pt. 1)

[I think that there was a second Nagra III NP used by the film crew, mainly Jones Alk.]

---

Can anybody add any information to this list?

How was the exact set-up? Can somebody draw a chart of it?

Where did Alderson set up the tape recorder? On the side of the stage?

There was no mixing board positioned out in the audience as is customary today, right?

---

Since the sound system was build twice* (for Hawaii/Australia and again for Europe) I think that there is a good chance of paperwork/invoices of Alderson's orders for the equipment surviving in the estate of Albert Grossman or in Dylan's office/archive.

*paid for by Ashes and Sand, Inc. (Dylan's/Grossman's production company)

I like this post Mr. My Echo. This is how jigsaws eventually develop into complete pictures.

Are you also posting on the Steve Hoffman Forum thread? If not, may I respectfully suggest that you get over there sharpish, join up and do so, starting with this one.

I think RA mentioned in the YouTube Roosevelt House presentation with Sean Wilentz that you posted a link to last week that a bunch of paperwork had been kept. May only have been shipping docs and itineraries, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-zQUr6hVr8

I wonder if there is any more visual evidence of the equipment, however fleeting, in the Mickey Jones Home Movies DVD (particularly the re-release with the RA interview as an extra feature)? My best friend Percy Song included a 4 part review of the original DVD footage but, like the idiot he is, didn't take much notice of the technical stuff and wouldn't be able to identify it even if it was labelled and highlighted with a big yellow arrow...

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/b ... t-15409934

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/b ... t-15422406

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/b ... t-15439319

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/b ... t-15449068

#

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1071 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next