Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed October 18th, 2017, 22:20 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1071 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
PostPosted: Thu December 22nd, 2016, 19:34 GMT 

Working through the recordings chronologically I'm now up to Dublin. I was familiar with the Melbourne material already but it's interesting to hear that the 'Tom Thumb' intro survived until at least Stockholm. General thoughts are that there really is very little to seperate the acoustic songs so far in terms of performance, and I'm finding the sbd recordings of the electric sets just a little on the dry side so far. Not much drums on the Stockholm recording for the first couple of numbers and the bass is too high in the mix, although it gets better as the set progresses and finishes with an intense 'Rolling Stone'. So far, although they're nice to have, I don't think any of these recordings could have been issued as stand alone releases due to sound issues of one kind or another.

PostPosted: Thu December 22nd, 2016, 19:48 GMT 

We should keep in mind that without the European copyright law there would not be any additional official release (excluding BS 4) from now until the Stone Age.

PostPosted: Fri December 23rd, 2016, 14:44 GMT 

h.egbert wrote:
We should keep in mind that without the European copyright law there would not be any additional official release (excluding BS 4) from now until the Stone Age.

True, and the cost of this box meant value for money. At the same time, none of what I've heard so far could (up to Dublin) be deemed essential. I'm looking forward to getting ot the profesionally recorded shows.

PostPosted: Fri December 23rd, 2016, 16:13 GMT 

bobfan wrote:
h.egbert wrote:

True, and the cost of this box meant value for money. At the same time, none of what I've heard so far could (up to Dublin) be deemed essential. I'm looking forward to getting ot the profesionally recorded shows.

All you need is RAH1.

PostPosted: Fri December 23rd, 2016, 17:07 GMT 

You're probably right, well that and Manchester.

PostPosted: Fri December 23rd, 2016, 17:08 GMT 

RAH 2 was OK. I can't tell if Dylan was completely hammered or just putting people on.

PostPosted: Fri December 23rd, 2016, 18:09 GMT 

McG wrote:

All you need is RAH1.

RAH1 is all you need.

PostPosted: Fri December 23rd, 2016, 18:46 GMT 

bobfan wrote:
Working through the recordings chronologically I'm now up to Dublin. I was familiar with the Melbourne material already but it's interesting to hear that the 'Tom Thumb' intro survived until at least Stockholm. General thoughts are that there really is very little to seperate the acoustic songs so far in terms of performance, and I'm finding the sbd recordings of the electric sets just a little on the dry side so far. Not much drums on the Stockholm recording for the first couple of numbers and the bass is too high in the mix, although it gets better as the set progresses and finishes with an intense 'Rolling Stone'. So far, although they're nice to have, I don't think any of these recordings could have been issued as stand alone releases due to sound issues of one kind or another.

They get better and better, soundwise. Several of these shows could have been released by themselves.

I don't agree at all that RAH1 is all you need. It's a good performance, but it sounds overprocessed to me, and just off somehow. I much prefer the better soundboards, like Belfast or Bristol or Cardiff (electric) or Liverpool (electric) or Sheffield (acoustic) or Edinburgh or Newcastle.

PostPosted: Sat December 24th, 2016, 02:08 GMT 

mojofilter wrote:

I don't agree at all that RAH1 is all you need. It's a good performance, but it sounds over-processed to me, and just off somehow. I much prefer the better soundboards, like Belfast or Bristol or Cardiff (electric) or Liverpool (electric) or Sheffield (acoustic) or Edinburgh or Newcastle.

Yep - Im with you on that. Ive just finished listening to RAH1 for the first time ... no doubt it is a great show, but, but .... I miss the ups and downs of the other shows. RAH1 and Manchester are wonderful but a little too smooth for me ... I like a rougher edge to things ...

... looking forward to RAH2 tomorrow ... the last leg of my chronological journey through this fantastic box!

PostPosted: Sun December 25th, 2016, 11:50 GMT 

I am working my way through the box set, and just by luck today's (Christmas day) is Paris. Whatever else you might think about Dylan, he has a great sense of humour. The interaction with the audience, is at times hilarious.

PostPosted: Mon December 26th, 2016, 11:51 GMT 

Here's a silly question ... Can one buy a copy of the booklet that came with the 20CD set ... the booklet that gives details of who played on the various songs...Maybe the information is online somewhere even. Cheers and Happy New Year to the community. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon December 26th, 2016, 15:25 GMT 

While we are on silly questions, I notice that the photo on the back of the Paris gig, is actually from that concert. Am I right therefore in thinking tht all the other C.D have pictires from the concert that it acompanies. I thought at first they were just 1966 photos used at random

PostPosted: Mon December 26th, 2016, 15:28 GMT 
Titanium Member

motherwell wrote:
While we are on silly questions, I notice that the photo on the back of the Paris gig, is actually from that concert. Am I right therefore in thinking tht all the other C.D have pictires from the concert that it acompanies. I thought at first they were just 1966 photos used at random

I don't think they are, given that they are all film stills and I don't think every show was filmed.

PostPosted: Mon December 26th, 2016, 15:41 GMT 

Good point gibson07. Perhaps the ones that were filmed are from the correct concert photo's, and the rest just picked at random. So it might be a mixture of both.

PostPosted: Mon December 26th, 2016, 15:42 GMT 
Titanium Member

That would be my guess as well.

PostPosted: Mon December 26th, 2016, 19:44 GMT 

Listening to RAH1, there's a good deal of shouting in the electric set. LARS to close the set as a prime example. (And it's fantastic!)
If he continued to tour into 1967 or 1968, he probably would have blown out his voice a lot earlier than 1976 singing like that. (Assuming he survives a couple of more years on the road that is).

PostPosted: Mon December 26th, 2016, 20:00 GMT 

yopietro wrote:
Listening to RAH1, there's a good deal of shouting in the electric set. LARS to close the set as a prime example. (And it's fantastic!)
If he continued to tour into 1967 or 1968, he probably would have blown out his voice a lot earlier than 1976 singing like that. (Assuming he survives a couple of more years on the road that is).

Obviously we can't be certain, however I strongly believe that if he had not had his accident when he did, he would have been another casualty of that type of life style. I really don't think he would have survived.

PostPosted: Mon December 26th, 2016, 21:24 GMT 
Promethium Member

I agree with Motherwell.

Robbie Robertson on RAH1 (from 'Testimony'):
"...in the biggest venue we'd played on this tour, in the biggest city, we faced the harshest reaction to our music. On this night the hostility truly spewed toward the stage.

Bob poured his soul out in those songs. A couple of times his balance wavered a bit. I didn't know where he was pulling the energy from, and kept a watchful eye in his direction during the show.

As thick as out skins had become throughout the tour, the negative reaction at the Albert Hall made us angry. Sometimes we'd been able to let it roll off our backs like a joke, but it wasn't funny anymore."

Then, according to Robbie, after RAH2 (paraphrased):
Bob almost drowned when he passed out and sunk down in the water after Albert and Robbie put him in the tub to try and revive him from nearly fainting of exhaustion. This, while the Beatles waited to visit with Bob after the show.

Yeah, Motherwell, the motorcycle mishap after the 66 Tour probably saved Bob from himself, a blessing in disguise.
For him, his family and all of us.

PostPosted: Tue December 27th, 2016, 00:33 GMT 

h.egbert wrote:

Yep - as we can see from the desultory attention and release given to the 1966 concert footage material.

PostPosted: Mon January 2nd, 2017, 22:28 GMT 

motherwell wrote:

A quick look at the cover photos: the Paris covers are appropriate to the content. I'm not sure that any of the others are.

PostPosted: Tue January 3rd, 2017, 10:04 GMT 

Is there are a proper poll anywhere as to the best shows on the new release? Would be nice to see a complete best to worst as voted for by this parish.

PostPosted: Tue January 3rd, 2017, 16:25 GMT 

MrJudasPriest wrote:
Is there are a proper poll anywhere as to the best shows on the new release? Would be nice to see a complete best to worst as voted for by this parish.

See Below

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=89311

PostPosted: Tue January 3rd, 2017, 17:57 GMT 

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu January 5th, 2017, 14:20 GMT 

After a single listen to both acoustic and electric sets for each concert in the box, I have been going through repeated listens to individual electric sets to appreciate the nuances of the playing by the Hawks. Currently I am listening to the Belfast show.

During "Tell Me Mama" on this show, Robbie peels off a single-string, Tombstone Blues style riff twice on one of the choruses that I don't recall hearing on any of the other shows. He only plays the riff twice on the second chorus between Dylan's vocals. It's a great little bluesy riff. It's these unique little nuances to each show that make them all essential additions, and I'm glad Sony released them all.

Another favorite moment from the Belfast show is the cheer of recognition from the audience when Dylan starts singing the opening lines of Like a Rolling Stone.

PostPosted: Thu January 5th, 2017, 22:21 GMT 

I'm currently of the opinion that the best version of Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues is from Belfast.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1071 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next