All times are UTC

Post subject: Tour over - what next?
PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 08:17 GMT 

Is that it for 'The Set'?

Will he do a 'Hits' set at Desert Trip?

Will we get another Sinatra album?

What do we think?

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 09:08 GMT 

Greatest Hits set in Indio, for me. Plus, he may have to fill a 2 hour show with no intermission, which could be a catalyst for change. Is he expected to be up there performing for 2 to 2 and half hours, like his fellow artists do?

Perverse wouldn't be the word for him doing eight Sintra-era covers at a show in front of thousands and broadcast all over the world.

Still...he might just go ahead and change nothing in 3 months time. That's the thing with Dylan who really ever knows?

What I find particularly amusing is the video they've posted at the Indio event website - http://deserttrip.com/artists/ - footage of Dylan from 1965/66, backed by Ballad of a Thin Man - the ravenous hoard of thousands are gonna be damn shocked when they see the reality: a faded haired old fella with a hat on singing 'Where are You?' and 'Why Try to Change me Now?', with his own songs barely comprehensible for those uninitiated.

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 10:11 GMT 

Oneofusmustknow wrote:
Greatest Hits set in Indio, for me. Plus, he may have to fill a 2 hour show with no intermission, which could be a catalyst for change. Is he expected to be up there performing for 2 to 2 and half hours, like his fellow artists do?

Perverse wouldn't be the word for him doing eight Sintra-era covers at a show in front of thousands and broadcast all over the world.

Still...he might just go ahead and change nothing in 3 months time. That's the thing with Dylan who really ever knows?

What I find particularly amusing is the video they've posted at the Indio event website - http://deserttrip.com/artists/ - footage of Dylan from 1965/66, backed by Ballad of a Thin Man - the ravenous hoard of thousands are gonna be damn shocked when they see the reality: a faded haired old fella with a hat on singing 'Where are You?' and 'Why Try to Change me Now?', with his own songs barely comprehensible for those uninitiated.

Well won't that be the fans fault for living in the past not Bob's? Ive heard Ballad Of A thin man live and boy was I disgusted that he sounded nothing like he recorded it in 1966. Strangely enough it seems we only expect Bob Dylan not to change in fifty years, no one expects Robert Plant to sing Black Dog and sound like he did when he recorded it.

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 10:51 GMT 

DR you are neatly sidestepping the alarming decline in Dylan's present day performances; no-one can reasonably expect

him to sound as he did in the sixties but it's perfectly reasonable to expect something rather better than the drivel to which

he subjects his loyal fans. Robert Plant's voice may have changed but he can still sing whereas Dylan can not. He should retire

and save himself from further embarrassment. Leonard Cohen's voice has darkened dramatically over the years but if anything

his most recent performances have been absolutely rivetting.

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 11:15 GMT 

johnnyreality wrote:
DR you are neatly sidestepping the alarming decline in Dylan's present day performances; no-one can reasonably expect

him to sound as he did in the sixties but it's perfectly reasonable to expect something rather better than the drivel to which

he subjects his loyal fans. Robert Plant's voice may have changed but he can still sing whereas Dylan can not. He should retire

and save himself from further embarrassment. Leonard Cohen's voice has darkened dramatically over the years but if anything

Firstly Leonard Cohen has retired from Touring (I was hoping he'd tour when Popular Problems come out)

As far as present day performances go, although you can moan about the static sets, ive been seeing him regularly since 2006 and Id rate the last three shows Ive caught as three of his best (that Ive seen) yep im gonna get the inevitable ah well I saw him at Blackbushe, or the rolling thunder revue but hey I can't help when I was born.

As for Bob not being able to sing haven't they been saying that for over five decades now and wouldnt Cohen have a voice which would challenge such assumptions too?

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 11:27 GMT 

johnnyreality wrote:

My actually point was you wouldnt expect anyone to sound like they did in 1965... not arguing that there are better live years of Bob and I missed them.

If I could see Leonard Cohen perform as an 80 year old man I wouldnt care whether he was past his best or regarded as such.

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 12:27 GMT 

Desolation Row wrote:
johnnyreality wrote:

My actually point was you wouldnt expect anyone to sound like they did in 1965... not arguing that there are better live years of Bob and I missed them.

If I could see Leonard Cohen perform as an 80 year old man I wouldnt care whether he was past his best or regarded as such.

Well here's something form Leonard Cohen's last concert so far , and probably his last ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdfyKRnsk5s

Wellington , New Zealand, December 2013. He was 79.
3 hours plus of cohen singing cohen- a couple of covers but one was ' The Partisan', which he had kind of made his own over the years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTVzzpy ... TVzzpy_0Zs
Has a great audience rapport , is funny and charming , tells jokes. self deprecating-- so a different style from Bob.

Last edited by cohenadmirer on Mon July 18th, 2016, 12:36 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 12:33 GMT 
Promethium Member

arthurprecarious wrote:

What do we think?

I don't anticipate a 'Hits' set... He'll perform The Set to the dismay of everybody expecting '60s Dylan on stage, collect his check, and head on down the road. It's too late in his career for him to start doing what people want.

Another Sinatra album is very likely but not very high on my wish list. Bob has made it a habit to disappoint me and a Sinatra album would be another step in that direction.

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 12:39 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
arthurprecarious wrote:

What do we think?

I don't anticipate a 'Hits' set... He'll perform The Set to the dismay of everybody expecting '60s Dylan on stage, collect his check, and head on down the road. It's too late in his career for him to start doing what people want.

Another Sinatra album is very likely but not very high on my wish list. Bob has made it a habit to disappoint me and a Sinatra album would be another step in that direction.

I really don't know how Bob will tackle Coachella, but wouldn't be surprised if it is the same set list as the last show of the current tour.

Re the last tour , such a shame there was no duet with mavis . I hope that they met backstage from time to time!

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 16:12 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
arthurprecarious wrote:

What do we think?

If your not actually going to the Desert trip it really doesn't matter what he's playing. Your probably just be one of those people scanning the setlists and complaining that he didn't play a song you'd like to hear (even though your actually not at the show)

He recorded another 30 covers in February and another two "sinatra" songs have made their way into the set so prepared to be disapointed.

If Bob had written all the songs on shadows and Fallen Angels no one would be really complaining about any of it, if Autumn Leaves or Skylark were written by Bob Dylan they would be hailed as good songs (albeit Bob's simplest since say Nashville Skyline or Planet Waves) and the singing is no worse than any of the singing on Time out of mind, Love and Theft, or Modern Times it's just sacrilege for a songwriter to record other people's songs (although it was other people's songs that inspired him to write songs in the first place).

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 16:20 GMT 
Titanium Member

I think Bob will play The Set in the desert. It's actually the one place I'd like him to play it, because it would be such a subversive, Dylan-esque fuck you to the audience.

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 16:22 GMT 

If Leonard Cohen just performed and didnt tell jokes it wouldn't bother me, its the music I want to hear. Ive actually been to some shows and actually just wanted the artist to play the songs and cut out the rabbiting. Its the artist choice.

Dont get me wrong Ive got a Leonard Cohen DVD and it's magical. It's actually possible to be a fan of Bob and Leonard strangely enough they both admire each other.

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 18:16 GMT 

Leonard Cohen over the last number of years has been a far superior performer than Dylan. And yes, his voice has dropped about two octaves since his debut album, but his voice is still a pleasure to listen to.

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 19:16 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
I think Bob will play The Set in the desert. It's actually the one place I'd like him to play it, because it would be such a subversive, Dylan-esque fuck you to the audience.

Yes.

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 19:48 GMT 
Titanium Member

A lot of people will want him to play the old stuff, and he may well do that, it'll just be the really old stuff.

Mick Jagger said, You can't always get what you want, and Dylan's co-star Rupert Everett said, brilliantly but I'm not sure originally, something like : You get what you want, but it takes the form you deserve.
But actually I think the crowd in the desert will be hip to it, and will get a show a lot of them will love.

There should be something almost transcendently beautiful about Long And Wasted Years followed by Autumn Leaves followed by applause followed by Blowin' In The Wind followed by Stay With Me. That's resilience of the spirit right there.

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 20:11 GMT 

yopietro wrote:
Leonard Cohen over the last number of years has been a far superior performer than Dylan. And yes, his voice has dropped about two octaves since his debut album, but his voice is still a pleasure to listen to.

He's actually stopped performing did you not notice he didn't tour the last album?

Shadows still made it to no 1 in the UK charts so there's enough people who still enjoy listening to Bob Dylan even if you don't.

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 20:38 GMT 

Considering the other acts performing in the desert, I predict Dylan's going to really, really, really,
turn up the effing sound !!! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 20:47 GMT 

still waiting on that Kentucky Fried Chicken commercial.

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 21:04 GMT 
Titanium Member

seg wrote:

George Hamilton's 15 minutes of fame is about up.

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 21:08 GMT 

Desolation Row wrote:
yopietro wrote:

He's actually stopped performing did you not notice he didn't tour the last album?

Shadows still made it to no 1 in the UK charts so there's enough people who still enjoy listening to Bob Dylan even if you don't.

I know he didn't tour for Popular Problems. Whether he stopped touring for good or just took a break is yet to be determined though. I can say that the Cohen shows I saw since he went back on the road after his long hiatus were some of the best shows I've ever seen.

As far as the people who are enjoying what Dylan is doing these days, God bless...

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 21:25 GMT 

The Cohen future touring diary is currently empty and has been since December 2013 , and the Dylan future touring diary is also empty after October 14th .
Both Diaries may fill up a bit , but Dylan's is more likely too. If Dylan stops touring at the same age Cohen did the last Tour would be Spring 2020.

Last edited by cohenadmirer on Mon July 18th, 2016, 21:55 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 21:30 GMT 
Titanium Member

Untrodden Path wrote:
arthurprecarious wrote:

What do we think?

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 21:44 GMT 

goodnitesteve wrote:
seg wrote:

George Hamilton's 15 minutes of fame is about up.

He would rock this gig

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 22:29 GMT 

Everyone, please stop embarrassing yourselves by comparing Leonard Cohen to Bob Dylan (or even mentioning them in the same breath)....

PostPosted: Tue July 19th, 2016, 00:34 GMT 

Id expect The Set.
If he contractually has to play longer than The Set normally lasts then he will add back in some songs on the fringes of The Set (or maybe sing slower or maybe have a longer intermission)