Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun October 22nd, 2017, 08:24 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri October 20th, 2017, 10:38 GMT 

I was wondering about this. Albert Grossman was still riding shotgun with Bob on the '66 tour, and Dylan and Sara were supposedly on their way home from Grossman's place when the "motorcycle accident" occurred. I'm not aware of any further documented correspondence between them after that, but obviously there would have been with the subsequently cancelled live dates, circa August 1966.

I believe Dylan was still under contract to him until summer 1970...?

I'm kind of wondering, was Grossman still effectively 'managing' Dylan in 1967, 68, 69? I mean, technically?

On a personal level, when did Bob actually start to distance himself from Grossman?

PostPosted: Fri October 20th, 2017, 11:32 GMT 
Titanium Member

I know that when Bob’s son Samuel was born in 67? bob wanted to change the name of his publishing name (I guess at the time it was Big Sky Music or something) and the woman at the desk told him that he couldn’t without Albert and that’s when he realized he didn’t own his songs fully. He didn’t believe it at first but once he did I think that was the end of Albert. I’m sure they conversed after that, but not a whole lot. Albert eventually died on a flight in the 1980’s. I don’t know if he attended the service, my guess is no. I think Sara was close with Sally Grossman, so maybe there was some connection still there.

It’s all in Down the Highway or Behind the Shades

PostPosted: Fri October 20th, 2017, 12:02 GMT 

In Levon Helm's autobiography he mentions that he noticed Dylan and Grossman weren't talking to each other at the Woody Guthrie tribute concert in early 1968 and it is long believed (speculated?) that Dear Landlord is about Albert Grossman.

PostPosted: Fri October 20th, 2017, 14:43 GMT 

jonno_osmond wrote:
In Levon Helm's autobiography he mentions that he noticed Dylan and Grossman weren't talking to each other at the Woody Guthrie tribute concert in early 1968 and it is long believed (speculated?) that Dear Landlord is about Albert Grossman.

Yes, I've read that too -- but what I wonder is: If Dylan was already miffed with Grossman as early as some-point-in-1967, what kind of working relationship still existed in 1968 and 1969?

It's curious that 1968 was the first year that Dylan recording nothing (since '60, that is).

PostPosted: Fri October 20th, 2017, 14:46 GMT 

It was right about 12:13:54 GMT

PostPosted: Fri October 20th, 2017, 14:48 GMT 

Pretty sure in Robbie Robertson's book he discusses it. Cant remember if it had to do with a falling out, or that David Geffen was poaching them. This was around the time of Planet Waves.

I forget exactly what it is, but it is mentioned. Grossman repped The Band too.

PostPosted: Fri October 20th, 2017, 15:08 GMT 

After John Wesley Harding. The JWH songs, as well as the Basement Songs and Blonde On Blonde were published by Dwarf Music, the company Grossman and Dylan formed which was part of something called Bob Dylan Words And Music Company. The songs on Nashville Skyline are on Big Sky which Dylan created after splitting from Grossman. Big Sky lasted through New Morning. Starting with the songs from Pat Garrett, Dylan formed another company Ram's Horn, which went through Desire. Following his divorce, Dylan formed Special Rider which remains his publishing company. After finally settling with Grossman's widow, Dylan was able to bring all publishing companies, as well as the songs which were on M. Witmark & Sons (almost everything before Blonde On Blonde) under the Special Rider umbrella. Only Dylan's earliest songs like "Song To Woody" originally published by Duchess are now owned by him or one of his companies.

PostPosted: Fri October 20th, 2017, 15:51 GMT 

PSB wrote:
Only Dylan's earliest songs like "Song To Woody" originally published by Duchess are now owned by him or one of his companies.

Thanks for the info. I assume you mean "not owned"?

PostPosted: Sat October 21st, 2017, 17:38 GMT 

mojofilter wrote:
PSB wrote:
Only Dylan's earliest songs like "Song To Woody" originally published by Duchess are now owned by him or one of his companies.

Thanks for the info. I assume you mean "not owned"?

Yes, and it's now too late to edit.