Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon June 25th, 2018, 17:23 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: stuck in the middle
PostPosted: Thu April 16th, 2009, 19:31 GMT 

Joined: Sun January 25th, 2009, 12:03 GMT
Posts: 136
"Stuck in the Middle with you" by Stealers Wheel, wikipedia says it's written by Joe Egan and Gerry Rafferty but I heard somewhere that Bob wrote it. In the Movie "Reservoir Dogs" it is introduced as "dylanesque". What's the truth?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stuck in the middle
PostPosted: Thu April 16th, 2009, 19:33 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue March 17th, 2009, 14:46 GMT
Posts: 616
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: Maybe Donovan!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stuck in the middle
PostPosted: Thu April 16th, 2009, 19:48 GMT 

Joined: Wed May 10th, 2006, 01:12 GMT
Posts: 233
"dylanesque" just means that it sounds like Dylan or that it's influenced by Dylan. It doesn't mean that Dylan wrote it. And I'm pretty sure that Dylan did NOT write that song. It just sounds like something he'd write.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stuck in the middle
PostPosted: Thu April 16th, 2009, 19:54 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri September 1st, 2006, 06:19 GMT
Posts: 3604
Location: Sub specie aeternitatis
Hugo wrote:
"dylanesque" just means that it sounds like Dylan or that it's influenced by Dylan. It doesn't mean that Dylan wrote it. And I'm pretty sure that Dylan did NOT write that song. It just sounds like something he'd write.


As opposed to a fine classic as 'Wiggle wiggle'.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stuck in the middle
PostPosted: Thu April 16th, 2009, 20:13 GMT 
Titanium Member

Joined: Wed August 2nd, 2006, 17:29 GMT
Posts: 9954
Somehow it got stuck on a boot as being Dylan, so I think a lot of the confusion may come from that


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stuck in the middle
PostPosted: Thu April 16th, 2009, 20:16 GMT 
Senior Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed June 6th, 2007, 20:48 GMT
Posts: 9558
Location: Norway
I actually wrote that... I forgot my notes at a café once, cant remember where.. nobody believed me tho.. :(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stuck in the middle
PostPosted: Thu April 16th, 2009, 20:19 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed January 7th, 2009, 15:16 GMT
Posts: 763
Location: I'm circlin' around the Southern Zone
According to dylanchords.info:

"Stuck in the Middle with You

An mp3-file is apparently in circulation, where this song is credited to Dylan. It is not a song by Dylan at all, but a 70s’ hit by Stealers Wheel"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stuck in the middle
PostPosted: Thu April 16th, 2009, 20:22 GMT 

Joined: Sun November 14th, 2004, 21:25 GMT
Posts: 973
Not a boot. Napster. Same place those rare Bob Dylan/Janis Joplin duets were found.

Bob Zimmerman wrote:
Somehow it got stuck on a boot as being Dylan, so I think a lot of the confusion may come from that


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stuck in the middle
PostPosted: Thu April 16th, 2009, 20:25 GMT 
Titanium Member

Joined: Wed August 2nd, 2006, 17:29 GMT
Posts: 9954
Ah, that makes more sense. I'd always heard that it was a boot. :roll: Why would people think Napster tags were accurate?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stuck in the middle
PostPosted: Thu April 16th, 2009, 20:34 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri June 27th, 2008, 20:28 GMT
Posts: 17309
Location: Maybe it isn't a tour, maybe he's just lost.
I read on the internet that Bob wrote the Bible.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stuck in the middle
PostPosted: Thu April 16th, 2009, 21:06 GMT 

Joined: Sun November 14th, 2004, 21:25 GMT
Posts: 973
No, that was Leonard Cohen.

Long Johnny wrote:
I read on the internet that Bob wrote the Bible.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stuck in the middle
PostPosted: Thu April 16th, 2009, 21:19 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun February 12th, 2006, 04:32 GMT
Posts: 2118
Bob Zimmerman wrote:
Ah, that makes more sense. I'd always heard that it was a boot. :roll: Why would people think Napster tags were accurate?



Haha yeah if I hear one more person tell me how much they like Dylan's cover of the Radiohead song "Creep", I'm gonna lose it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stuck in the middle
PostPosted: Thu April 16th, 2009, 21:26 GMT 

Joined: Mon November 14th, 2005, 16:14 GMT
Posts: 250
Location: Gothenburg.
muleskinner_blues wrote:
Bob Zimmerman wrote:
Ah, that makes more sense. I'd always heard that it was a boot. :roll: Why would people think Napster tags were accurate?



Haha yeah if I hear one more person tell me how much they like Dylan's cover of the Radiohead song "Creep", I'm gonna lose it.


Haha, I was just about to write "I remeber when I thought that Dylan made a cover of radioheads 'creep' after finding a 'rare' mp3". It took a while before I figured the truth out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stuck in the middle
PostPosted: Thu April 16th, 2009, 21:42 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed January 7th, 2009, 15:16 GMT
Posts: 763
Location: I'm circlin' around the Southern Zone
Long Johnny wrote:
I read on the internet that Bob wrote the Bible.


Oh God! You have created the eternal return!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stuck in the middle
PostPosted: Thu April 16th, 2009, 22:24 GMT 

Joined: Fri February 16th, 2007, 07:31 GMT
Posts: 3396
Long Johnny wrote:
I read on the internet that Bob wrote the Bible.


nah, he was the inspiration for the Bible...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stuck in the middle
PostPosted: Thu April 16th, 2009, 22:28 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri June 27th, 2008, 20:28 GMT
Posts: 17309
Location: Maybe it isn't a tour, maybe he's just lost.
Yeah, it all started when Betty & Abe found him wrapped in swaddling clothes in a basket in some reeds on the banks of the East Swan river.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stuck in the middle
PostPosted: Thu April 16th, 2009, 23:44 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue March 17th, 2009, 00:14 GMT
Posts: 366
Location: London, UK
He dissed the song most blatantly on TTRH's 'beginnings, middles and ends' shows. I suspect he is not a fan!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stuck in the middle
PostPosted: Fri April 17th, 2009, 00:48 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed February 6th, 2008, 23:46 GMT
Posts: 3479
Location: Meh
What did he say?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stuck in the middle
PostPosted: Fri April 17th, 2009, 01:21 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue March 17th, 2009, 00:14 GMT
Posts: 366
Location: London, UK
one of the fake callers requested it by name, when they hung up bob said 'I won't play *that* song' (his emphasis))


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stuck in the middle
PostPosted: Fri April 17th, 2009, 07:27 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon March 27th, 2006, 07:16 GMT
Posts: 1761
I wish people would do some research before commenting here! You can't always believe wikipedia folks!

http://www.lyricsbay.com/stuck_in_the_m ... dylan.html

http://www.emp3world.com/mp3/56305/Bob% ... With%20You

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAo7OhthLGI

http://www.gugalyrics.com/THE-GUESS-WHO ... YLAN-COVER)-LYRICS/210007/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stuck in the middle
PostPosted: Sat June 23rd, 2018, 18:37 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed November 29th, 2017, 04:04 GMT
Posts: 893
My lovely sweet kind neighbour died suddenly less than 48 hours ago. She was a big character locally and we will all miss her. Her funeral was today.

Just as her coffin was bring lowered into the ground, with the priest saying his prayer about 'the faithfully departed', some eejit pulled up to the graveyard gates in a white racy car, the windows open, blasting out 'Stuck in the middle with you'. Took him a few minutes to turn it off too.

A surreal moment. I think my neighbour would have liked the whole scene. She would not have been annoyed, she would have said 'Young people these days!' with a glint in her eye. Not her kind of music though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stuck in the middle
PostPosted: Sun June 24th, 2018, 07:48 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue June 21st, 2011, 11:15 GMT
Posts: 1628
GirlsWon'tLeaveMeAlone wrote:
My lovely sweet kind neighbour died suddenly less than 48 hours ago. She was a big character locally and we will all miss her. Her funeral was today.

Just as her coffin was bring lowered into the ground, with the priest saying his prayer about 'the faithfully departed', some eejit pulled up to the graveyard gates in a white racy car, the windows open, blasting out 'Stuck in the middle with you'. Took him a few minutes to turn it off too.

A surreal moment. I think my neighbour would have liked the whole scene. She would not have been annoyed, she would have said 'Young people these days!' with a glint in her eye. Not her kind of music though.



What a sad and likewise encouraging story!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stuck in the middle
PostPosted: Sun June 24th, 2018, 07:50 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue June 21st, 2011, 11:15 GMT
Posts: 1628
To my ears "Stuck in the middle" in parts resembles Dylan's "Rita May" (or vice versa). Don't know if I'm the only one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stuck in the middle
PostPosted: Sun June 24th, 2018, 14:38 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat December 10th, 2011, 15:23 GMT
Posts: 332
I remember seeing it listed on Limewire, an old download thing I used to use. I thought it was stupid and ignored it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stuck in the middle
PostPosted: Mon June 25th, 2018, 14:00 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed November 29th, 2017, 04:04 GMT
Posts: 893
h.egbert wrote:
To my ears "Stuck in the middle" in parts resembles Dylan's "Rita May" (or vice versa). Don't know if I'm the only one.


Thank you for that h.egbert. I listened to Rita Mae last night. I can see a little similarity in the rhythm and lyric arrangement.

Funny though because listening to Rita Mae made me want to listen to EXILE ON MAIN STREET last night. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Maxwinner


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group