Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu May 24th, 2018, 04:21 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri May 6th, 2011, 23:32 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed December 30th, 2009, 22:58 GMT
Posts: 614
Location: Trapped in a world she never made.
Read pages 94-95 of this book excerpt:

http://books.google.com/books?id=fy82fy ... &q&f=false

Hopefully, the entire poem will turn up on the internet.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 7th, 2011, 09:45 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue December 14th, 2010, 14:22 GMT
Posts: 43439
Location: Beneath the Southern X
How about typing it up?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 7th, 2011, 23:16 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed December 30th, 2009, 22:58 GMT
Posts: 614
Location: Trapped in a world she never made.
Johanna Parker wrote:
How about typing it up?


I don't have the first issue of "Photography" magazine, where the 179 line poem was published. Maybe Clinton Heylin will type it up for you.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 8th, 2011, 03:36 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat January 1st, 2011, 20:57 GMT
Posts: 6839
Location: Out in the West Texas town of El Paso
I'll try to track down the magazine and make scans, but I'm not making any promises. I get off on that sort of thing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 8th, 2011, 05:26 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed December 30th, 2009, 22:58 GMT
Posts: 614
Location: Trapped in a world she never made.
goodnitesteve wrote:
I'll try to track down the magazine and make scans, but I'm not making any promises. I get off on that sort of thing.


Please send me a private message if you ever find the missing poem.
In the meantime, I'll put pictures of it on milk cartons and telephone poles.
Good luck.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 8th, 2011, 05:51 GMT 

Joined: Thu January 31st, 2008, 17:51 GMT
Posts: 968
thanks for posting this. Never heard about it.

Seems like the kind of thing that would have been referenced more commonly,
or reprinted somewhere.

I also keep reading these mentions of the 1974 Tour journals.
Sure would like to read those, too.

And, and, and - never saw that photo before^


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 8th, 2011, 09:02 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue December 14th, 2010, 14:22 GMT
Posts: 43439
Location: Beneath the Southern X
There are more tour diaries out there. I've read about some from the early '80s which are said to be mostly drawings. Sure would be interested in those, but there's probably a line to be drawn as to what is private stuff and what can be published at some point.

As to the poem, I thought A-ghost-in-love was saying it was in the book, that's why I asked about typing it up. Now I recall it was mentioned, but the whole poem wasn't in there. Sorry about that. And, not asking CH any favors.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 8th, 2011, 09:05 GMT 

Joined: Mon December 6th, 2004, 08:17 GMT
Posts: 2906
Johanna Parker wrote:
but there's probably a line to be drawn as to what is private stuff and what can be published at some point.


Naaaaaaaaah!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 8th, 2011, 20:49 GMT 

Joined: Mon May 10th, 2010, 19:30 GMT
Posts: 1802
Location: New York
i would love to see this poem and the complete 1974 diaries. damn..we all need to see it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu November 13th, 2014, 04:55 GMT 

Joined: Thu November 13th, 2014, 04:37 GMT
Posts: 754
Location: Oregon Diaspora
R. Zimmerman, 'An observation, revisited', 1976, on page 9 of the 28 page, unbound, 275mm x 355mm, Will Faller edited Photograph, volume 1, issue 1, released that summer. The magazine was published by Photography New York Publishing Co., ISSN 0271-3829. Bob took much time in composing the brilliant, 179 line poem, in response to the photographs of Nina Alexander and Herta Hilsher-Wittgenstein of a young woman ('Toni') dying, then dead from breast cancer, the works seen by Bob at the Susan Caldwell Gallery in SoHo. Decades later, it mystifies me the poem has not seen wide publication, although, to his credit, Clinton Heylin in his 2009 Revolution in the air recognises the authenticity of the poem.
STEPHAN PICKERING / חפץ ח"ם בן אברהם
Torah אלילה Yehu'di Apikores / Philologia Kabbalistica Speculativa Researcher
לחיות זמן רב ולשגשג

THE KABBALAH FRACTALS PROJECT


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu November 13th, 2014, 08:14 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue December 14th, 2010, 14:22 GMT
Posts: 43439
Location: Beneath the Southern X
^
Thank you.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu November 13th, 2014, 09:35 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu October 21st, 2010, 20:59 GMT
Posts: 453
Location: In the dark, glowing
The link in the first post doesn't work for me. Is it the same poem also known as 'Tiny Montgomery's Geography Lesson', the authenticity of which was attested by Sally Grossman a couple of years back? If so, the text of the poem, with Christopher Ricks' commentary, is available in a back number of Isis somewhere.

Once again it begs the question whether that Nobel Prize Committee is sleeping on the job.

TINY MONTGOMERY'S GEOGRAPHY LESSON

when I was in the slammer
down tuscaloosa way
stars fell on alabama
and lit up mobile bay

oh don't go down to bristol
singing the huntsville blues
and never tote a pistol
that you don't mean to use

i had a girl in selma
a girl in lafayette
the first one's name was thelma
the second i forget

i gave my heart to thelma
but see what grief love brings
when i went back to selma
she'd moved to union springs

and now i'm in decatur
i don't know how or why
i guess sooner or later
man needs some place to die

so farewell phenix city
and farewell spanish fort
my song is full of pity
my song is very short


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu November 13th, 2014, 09:49 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu October 21st, 2010, 20:59 GMT
Posts: 453
Location: In the dark, glowing
I just dug out Ricks' commentary but it doesn't add much. He points out that the towns named in the poem are all in Alabama and that Montgomery is of course the capital of that state.

As usual with Ricks, I'm left asking the so what question.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu November 13th, 2014, 10:34 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri September 5th, 2014, 09:50 GMT
Posts: 3626
Flesh-Colored Christ wrote:
The link in the first post doesn't work for me. Is it the same poem also known as 'Tiny Montgomery's Geography Lesson', the authenticity of which was attested by Sally Grossman a couple of years back? If so, the text of the poem, with Christopher Ricks' commentary, is available in a back number of Isis somewhere.

Once again it begs the question whether that Nobel Prize Committee is sleeping on the job.

TINY MONTGOMERY'S GEOGRAPHY LESSON

when I was in the slammer
down tuscaloosa way
stars fell on alabama
and lit up mobile bay

oh don't go down to bristol
singing the huntsville blues
and never tote a pistol
that you don't mean to use

i had a girl in selma
a girl in lafayette
the first one's name was thelma
the second i forget

i gave my heart to thelma
but see what grief love brings
when i went back to selma
she'd moved to union springs

and now i'm in decatur
i don't know how or why
i guess sooner or later
man needs some place to die

so farewell phenix city
and farewell spanish fort
my song is full of pity
my song is very short


How does it beg that question? By not being all that great?

Seriously, do you ever read poetry?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu November 13th, 2014, 10:42 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu October 21st, 2010, 20:59 GMT
Posts: 453
Location: In the dark, glowing
Not often, I'm afraid. I just feel Bob gets unfairly overlooked.

It's the same with his paintings and films, which are really good in my opinion but generally get criticised by critics.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu November 13th, 2014, 10:48 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon September 8th, 2014, 11:02 GMT
Posts: 1328
Location: Tiresome Town
What question?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu November 13th, 2014, 11:12 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu October 21st, 2010, 20:59 GMT
Posts: 453
Location: In the dark, glowing
Sloppy work by Ricks. Most of those towns are in Alabama, but Bristol is across the border in Tennessee.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu November 13th, 2014, 12:32 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri September 5th, 2014, 09:50 GMT
Posts: 3626
Flesh-Colored Christ wrote:
Not often, I'm afraid. I just feel Bob gets unfairly overlooked.

It's the same with his paintings and films, which are really good in my opinion but generally get criticised by critics.


No, he is fairly overlooked by the Nobel Literature judges. If he were to win it would be a punch in the face to proper writers.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu November 13th, 2014, 12:34 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue December 14th, 2010, 14:22 GMT
Posts: 43439
Location: Beneath the Southern X
Bob Dylan, improper writer.
That's a new one.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu November 13th, 2014, 12:37 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri September 5th, 2014, 09:50 GMT
Posts: 3626
Johanna Parker wrote:
Bob Dylan, improper writer.
That's a new one.


Songwriter.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu November 13th, 2014, 12:38 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon September 8th, 2014, 11:02 GMT
Posts: 1328
Location: Tiresome Town
Song-assembler.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu November 13th, 2014, 12:40 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue December 14th, 2010, 14:22 GMT
Posts: 43439
Location: Beneath the Southern X
Bloody categorization...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu November 13th, 2014, 13:12 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri September 5th, 2014, 09:50 GMT
Posts: 3626
Johanna Parker wrote:
Bloody categorization...


Next time your washing machine breaks down, call a dentist and see what happens.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu November 13th, 2014, 13:16 GMT 
Titanium Member

Joined: Wed February 16th, 2005, 21:50 GMT
Posts: 5211
Location: New Hampshire
Hungryhoss wrote:

No, he is fairly overlooked by the Nobel Literature judges. If he were to win it would be a punch in the face to proper writers.



And being such a noted literary critic, your words carry such weight!


Last edited by chrome horse on Thu November 13th, 2014, 13:39 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu November 13th, 2014, 13:32 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri September 5th, 2014, 09:50 GMT
Posts: 3626
chrome horse wrote:
Hungryhoss wrote:

No, he is fairly overlooked by the Nobel Literature judges. If he were to win it would be a punch in the face to proper writers.



And being such a noted literary critic, you words carry such weight!


Literary critics criticise literature, music critics criticise music.

I don't see many of the former reviewing Bob Dylan's albums, or many of the latter being asked to write about novels or collections of poetry.

Why do you think that is?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: boiledgutsofbirds, The Wicked Messenger


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group