Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri December 15th, 2017, 02:46 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 20th, 2009, 03:50 GMT 

Here is one that Bob seems to enjoy playing. Does this warrent classic status? Lets post some great renditions,as he plays this one. Any stand out nominations? General thoughts on the tune. The Mez enjoys it, but never passionate it about it. But after God knows positive reception , I may play this one for a while or listen to some nominations what do you all think of this one? MEZ

PostPosted: Wed May 20th, 2009, 04:12 GMT 

A great song, worthy of it's place on GH Vol II

PostPosted: Wed May 20th, 2009, 05:16 GMT 

I don't have much to say.

PostPosted: Wed May 20th, 2009, 05:32 GMT 

It's nothing special. Wouldn't rate it up there as a Classic, certainly not a bad song by any means though

PostPosted: Wed May 20th, 2009, 06:24 GMT 

I like the studio version on GHII, current live incarnations don't do much for me.

PostPosted: Wed May 20th, 2009, 08:35 GMT 

OK

First off I want to say that it's been my impression
that Bob has purposefully played guitar on this song only
the last couple of years, for the sole reason that it fits perfectly
the feeling he must get every time someone asks him why he doesn't
play guitar anymore.
This song for me is about how we've got to accept what comes along no matter
how unfortunate it may be; and for fans at his concerts, they'll get what Bob wants to give and no more.
"You want guitar, I'll give you one song but it'll be the one about my indifference towards your needs."
So by that rationale, I am pleased when he picks it up to do this one, even if he does usually
play three notes in a never ending pattern.
I won't post it, but Amsterdam this year has a funny rendition. Bob's guitar is ridiculous.
He also played When I Paint My Masterpiece this night as well, which was pretty special IMO.

What i really miss though is the "Mystery Train" version from the 90's.
And one particular night in Tallahassee, Florida, Bob and the band, but most importantly
Bucky Baxter, took this song into a new dimension. Listen for Bucky's scorching guitar which kicks in
in the middle of the song. Unbelievable. A seriously underrated guitarist. Bob's vocals' not too shabby either.
This is the only version I've ever needed for this, yes, classic song.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/xv6coh

Furthermore, Joe Cocker's version is slightly better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5-mX1OLdOs

PostPosted: Wed May 20th, 2009, 11:38 GMT 

Watching The River Flow is a great song. Totally NEW MORNINGish and would have been a great companion to One More Weekend. I always relate those two.

PostPosted: Wed May 20th, 2009, 14:49 GMT 

great song.. not sure it's a classic.. but i love it.

PostPosted: Wed May 20th, 2009, 18:58 GMT 

PostPosted: Sat January 5th, 2013, 09:10 GMT 
Titanium Member

I enjoy watching the river flow

PostPosted: Sat January 5th, 2013, 16:22 GMT 

I seem to recall liking Chicago fall 2002 for this one...not sure there was a great recording of that show but it's one of the few times Dylan's caught some of the funk of the studio track. I don't consider it classic, especially when you remember Masterpiece was cut at the same session(s).

PostPosted: Tue February 5th, 2013, 19:41 GMT 

DEAR GOD!!! Sometimes I find a song buried in the middle of a show in the middle of
any year on the NET & there's an incredible version of a song you've heard a billion times
now suddenly done with such joy and red-blooded rock n roll!!

Here is such an example. Bob truly kills this song and Bucky F'n Baxter!!!! Holy Mother, was that guy good!!!
Be sure to listen towards the end where Bob almost sinks the song by pulling out the wrong harmonica
& quickly extinguishes it with a raucous ending:)

Green Bay WI
April 15 1994
http://www.sendspace.com/file/m3a1rh

PostPosted: Tue February 5th, 2013, 20:44 GMT 
Titanium Member

This has always been an ok song to me. Not a classic, not bad.

PostPosted: Tue February 5th, 2013, 22:26 GMT 
Titanium Member

This track would have helped liven up New Morning and fit right in.

As a standalone on GH II it's okay as a song, except I hate that whiny electric guitar and the leaden loping rhythm that tries to get off the ground and fails.

PostPosted: Tue February 5th, 2013, 23:30 GMT 
Titanium Member

Having a song about creative importance break down and stop mid-recording is pretty cool. Dylan's arrangements don't often echo his lyrics like that.

PostPosted: Wed February 6th, 2013, 15:02 GMT 

^^^^Agree with this...this songs arrangement and workings are wonderful. The slowing down and return is my favorite part about the song.

I also agree that this would have fit quite well on New Morning.

PostPosted: Wed February 6th, 2013, 21:05 GMT 

I agree WRT the studio version of this song on GHII. I love the slowing down & picking it back up.

I have to say how glad I am to see this song on Track Talk today, because I hadn't heard it in about 20 years, until just this past weekend. You see, I only have GHII on vinyl & have been without a turntable for about 20 yrs. My bf got me exactly what I wanted for Christmas: a turntable that also has a vinyl-to-mp3 converter.

And I knew EXACTLY what I wanted to be the FIRST song I heard when I set up that turntable. Which I did on Sunday afternoon. As soon as the turntable was working, I dropped the needle on GHII, and just completely grooved to one of my favorite songs.

I'm not sure if it rates as "classic" objectively, but in my book, it's a classic.

I relate to the lyrics so much & I love the drive & kind of country funkiness to the music in that version.

And on a personal note, that one song got me through a very rough freshman fall semester. I was at a school that was actually situated on a river. I thought I would love being on campus & away from everything, just studying. But I quickly became very homesick - I desperately wanted to be "back in the city, instead of this old bank of sand". That song just captured my feelings of being homesick and unhappy in a small, rural town, actually on the riverbank. Man. I can't listen to that song, without it transporting me back to that time.

That song was a lifeline for me, during a very unhappy period in my life. I listened to it constantly.

And it was so wonderful to listen to it this weekend, with that warm, intimate sound you only get from vinyl, complete with cracks & pops on the record, all scratchy.

Thanks for letting me share a memory & an aspect of "why Bobby's music is so important to me" type moment.

PostPosted: Thu February 7th, 2013, 00:50 GMT 

Up-tempo '93 versions hard to beat with this song. Sad to hear it reined in to another blues-chug over the years.

PostPosted: Thu February 7th, 2013, 01:50 GMT 
Promethium Member

My favorite is from Hammerstein Ballroom (August 12, 2003?) with Larry, Freddy, and Chuck Loeb sharing the stage... Chuck Loeb took one of the solos and absolutely lit the place up... fabulously played, beautifully performed and a true pleasure to behold...

The same can be said of Things Have Changed which followed. I can assure you, for those seven or eight minutes heaven and earth stood still...

PostPosted: Thu February 7th, 2013, 02:31 GMT 

Great song, good, gruff vocals.. a lot of Leon Russell thumbprint on this...wish more would have come out of these sessions (Paint My Masterpiece being one)..

PostPosted: Tue January 14th, 2014, 12:14 GMT 
Promethium Member

Two decades after the departure of Bill Wyman, the Rolling Stones (with Wyman) recorded Watching the River Flow for an album titled, Boogie 4 Stu, a tribue to Ian Stewart. The choice of the song was based on Ian Stewart's judgment that "Watching the River Flow" was "the only decent thing Bob Dylan ever did." :shock:

:lol:

Whether or not one considers the song "great", the song is a fun, rollicking piece that is a delight to hear and witness with every outing. But "the only decent thing Bob Dylan ever did" ?

That is a bit much in my book.

PostPosted: Wed January 15th, 2014, 04:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

I love this song very much! I agree with everyone else that it would fit into New Morning perfectly. Reminds one of One More Weekend, or even Working On A Guru.

Mark Loveland wrote:
Great song, good, gruff vocals.. a lot of Leon Russell thumbprint on this...wish more would have come out of these sessions (Paint My Masterpiece being one)..

^^me too. The newly recorded stuff for GHII is excellent and I wish there was more, but I'm happy with what there is.

PostPosted: Thu January 16th, 2014, 04:29 GMT 

likeatrain wrote:
Up-tempo '93 versions hard to beat with this song.

My all-time favorite comes from the first show I went to, October 8, 1993 in Sacramento. I wish I knew how to share a link to this version. I LOVE this performance.

PostPosted: Thu January 16th, 2014, 18:20 GMT 

Mark Loveland wrote:

Jesse Davis as well. It sounded great the few times the radio deigned to play it. I consider it part of what I call the slump explanation song series.

PostPosted: Thu November 30th, 2017, 22:31 GMT 

Unlike many here, I've always loved the Spring tour of 2006.
Sure its weird and maybe not the strongest music he's ever made, but there are a lot of
little joys to be found amongst the terrain.
Im also a big Denny Freeman fan. I think he brought a level of refinement that hadn't been a part of the
sound since Larry's departure.
I give this little gem as an example. Overall, this isn't a great show but here's a fun song within where you can
hear some interesting interplay within the circle.
Vocally, Bob sounds serviceable, not great, not off. But it's Denny and Bob playing off of each other that's so fun to listen to.
I love Denny's solo and then Bob's harp solo is just sublime.
It's a fun rendition!!

New Orleans LA
April 28 2006
http://www.mediafire.com/file/zb6oxby6l ... r_Flow.mp3

And just so you know that wasn't a fluke, check out this version from Valencia Spain
a couple months later:
https://youtu.be/AbPzP20x2Ak?t=14m46s