Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed May 23rd, 2018, 01:26 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 12th, 2016, 15:40 GMT 

LeftBanke wrote:
I really wouldnt believe anything Victor said. He was the type that if Dylan had 5 girlfriends he had to say he had 10.
One quick rule of thumb: dont take your girlfriends to hang with musicians.

She insists she was kind of loyal to the road manager until he committed a couple unforgivable sins: he wouldn't listen to her troubles and he had the effrontery to doubt her orgasms. More rules of thumb.

PostPosted: Thu May 12th, 2016, 15:43 GMT 

Oh, boo hoo hoo. That absolves her

PostPosted: Thu May 12th, 2016, 16:32 GMT 

Her objective was Dylan, thats the only reason she hooked up with "Ernie". Gifting her Dylan bootlegs was the quickest way to 'date' her.

PostPosted: Fri May 13th, 2016, 01:55 GMT 
Titanium Member

Bob got the title for Knocked out and Loaded from this song. https://youtu.be/DG6gPe1plWQ

Rumor in their circle was that Bob felt Columbia didn't promote Empire Burlesque well enough so he was purposely delivering bad albums until his contract was up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri May 13th, 2016, 01:57 GMT 

What a trash-fest! Can't wait to read this book! :oops:

PostPosted: Fri May 13th, 2016, 02:02 GMT 

So are we thinking ernie was victor? She seemed to use actual names for everyone else. Maybe there was an ernie??

PostPosted: Fri May 13th, 2016, 05:52 GMT 

What did he say around his 70th birthday…I paraphrase (can't find the actual quote)….

" I urge anyone who has ever met me or heard my songs or knows someone who has heard songs…to write about me…..Everyone has a great book in them and i encourage/implore them to go forward…..lol

SOmething like that…

clearly this lady has this one great book….or as he said back in 2001-rome interview….regarding books written about him…"Where's all the good stuff." …the dirt…the dish.. the gossip

no doubt she will shed some more light on his creative/performing process….Good thing Paul Williams ain't alive…this would've given him a run for his money.

Add this to the thread of the dylan books that must be read….

FOr me - i am buying several copies…want a copy in each room of my apartment...

PostPosted: Fri May 13th, 2016, 12:40 GMT 

A friend who read the book, told me what she found most shocking, is that she claimed to be an author and had previously written a novel.

Victor eventually replaced "Ernie". Ernie originally worked for Bill Graham before he went to work for Dylan.

PostPosted: Thu May 19th, 2016, 19:21 GMT 
Titanium Member

Let's hear what Van thinks about this kind of book. >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFX3EIl3Ouo

PostPosted: Fri May 20th, 2016, 08:58 GMT 

I finished reading it a few days ago and feel a bit lost, now, without it. It was a fantastic read, totally absorbing.

PostPosted: Fri May 20th, 2016, 14:40 GMT 
Titanium Member

I'm still reading it, it's going slowly, but I find it hard to read these days. There's so much to do and I get sucked into the television. I have a backed up queue of art films I've brought in from all around the world. I also have a few other books lined up right after, such as the Robert Bloch autobiography and a newish book by Stanley Kubrick's assistant. Maybe I can knock it out this weekend.

PostPosted: Sat May 21st, 2016, 02:52 GMT 
Titanium Member

Bob sings and plays harmonica on this unreleased Ringo song. I did not know, but thanks to this book, I do now.
https://youtu.be/qR7CdSYzJOE

PostPosted: Sat May 21st, 2016, 21:51 GMT 

"Let's hear what Van thinks about this kind of book."

Hmmm....

Queen Anne Lace - I think, if you haven't already, give the book a try. Then try to anticipate what Van might think, and sing. (Maybe you have, and you still think Van can stand in for, and summarize your 'response' to the book here?)

(IMHO the book is better, yes better, than this throw-away sneeze from Van.)

And Van's response - or the narrator in his song - is from a position of at least of having read the ('new biography') book before criticizing it. Have you read the book?

I always liked the "don't criticize what you don't understand" bit from Dylan. Kinda caught me.

And if you ponder a bit, Van - who you seem to be using as a blanket critique of the book (?) - critiques, with total poetic hyperbole, historical memory - "And I can't even remember last week."

And Van, in the song, that I think you might think stands in as an aloof, moral, rubbishing of a memoir, also sings "Not on my wavelength and it's such a shame, That they have to play the name game, The fame game, the name game..."

Interesting. Yet, if you turn to page one, para one, of Chronicles, Dylan name drops (Dempsey, Bill Haley...) and remembers a cab ride over 50 years ago (Whereas poor Van, in his snotty song, can't even sneeze a week of memory into his tissue.)

Is it a case of Bob being able to lean on relationship issues and write songs and that is ok?
But when a woman does it, it's a materialistic grab and exploitative?

Maybe in a roundaboutway you are alluding to the kind of quasi-enigmatic ending to the song?

As Van farts,

"Lord, the name game, its such a cryin' shame
Please tell me who's to blame
They just keep on playin' the fame game
Oh the name game, its such a cryin' shame
Keep on, keep on playin'.."

PostPosted: Sun May 22nd, 2016, 03:11 GMT 

Quote:
Bob’s womanizing caused an unhappy incident during the tour that led to road manager Gary Shafner leaving the staff.

During the tour, Shafner had to fly home to California to attend to some private business. While he was away, Bob apparently became involved in a relationship with Shafner’s girlfriend, Brita Lee, even though Bob’s wife Carolyn was on the tour as one of the backing singers.

The embarrassment and unhappiness resulted in Shafner’s departure. People close to Bob talk about this incident as one of the worst things Bob ever did to an employee. Shafner was devoted to Bob, yet Bob repaid him in the cruelest way.
- "Down the Highway", Howard Sounes.

PostPosted: Sun May 22nd, 2016, 03:35 GMT 

Delightful thread to read! I haven't got the book, but am enjoying the responses here. Especially "ragman" and others who're taking a compassionate, human view of the whole mess. Thank goodness the 80s are over!

PostPosted: Sun May 22nd, 2016, 04:01 GMT 
Titanium Member

Ernie is Gary then?

PostPosted: Sun May 22nd, 2016, 04:16 GMT 

I think Britta was a very willing participant and encouraged or started the fling. What i cant believe is that bobs wife was on the tour! That marriage seemed to be mainly a convenience for the child.

It seems that Carole was the main partner from Britta's book, Not the wife! Are you sure the wife was on the tour?

How did he keep all these affairs straight?

PostPosted: Sun May 22nd, 2016, 06:41 GMT 

rephs wrote:
It seems that Carole was the main partner from Britta's book, Not the wife! Are you sure the wife was on the tour?

Reading the book by Britta Lee Shain, I did not get the impression that Carolyn Dennis was on that tour.
But accourding to Olof, she was http://www.bjorner.com/DSN08690%20-%201987%20Temples%20In%20Flames%20Tour.htm

PostPosted: Sun May 22nd, 2016, 07:52 GMT 

twistedpin wrote:
rephs wrote:

Reading the book by Britta Lee Shain, I did not get the impression that Carolyn Dennis was on that tour.
But accourding to Olof, she was http://www.bjorner.com/DSN08690%20-%201987%20Temples%20In%20Flames%20Tour.htm

I have asked Britta to clarify this point. When I get a response I'll post it.

PostPosted: Sun May 22nd, 2016, 07:56 GMT 

[

But accourding to Olof, she was http://www.bjorner.com/DSN08690%20-%201987%20Temples%20In%20Flames%20Tour.htm[/quote]

:shock: this makes me think that it was a marriage in name only, not really a marriage, just a contract or something.

PostPosted: Sun May 22nd, 2016, 15:45 GMT 

rephs wrote:
I think Britta was a very willing participant and encouraged or started the fling. What i cant believe is that bobs wife was on the tour! That marriage seemed to be mainly a convenience for the child.

How did he keep all these affairs straight?

I thought Sounes located a shared residence in the Valley although it's been a while. Plus there's a 1992 divorce which interestingly corresponds with his last series of Idiot Wind performances.

PostPosted: Sun May 22nd, 2016, 19:23 GMT 

He lived with all of them just not at the same moment in time. He bought Clydie a house too.

PostPosted: Sun May 22nd, 2016, 23:26 GMT 
Titanium Member

Haven't you guys watched Sister Wives? It just takes a little knack for scheduling.

PostPosted: Sun May 22nd, 2016, 23:30 GMT 

oh the ragman wrote:
"Let's hear what Van thinks about this kind of book."

"Lord, the name game, its such a cryin' shame
They just keep on playin' the fame game
Oh the name game, its such a cryin' shame
Keep on, keep on playin'.."

What book was Van singing about? Clinton Heylin's 'Can you Feel the Silence'?

PostPosted: Mon May 23rd, 2016, 01:43 GMT 

Van was probably talking about himself....
He has a few skeletons in his closet too.. :?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next