Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu February 22nd, 2018, 09:14 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Mon January 8th, 2018, 06:46 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
I understand (kind of) a Bootleg Series release for Blood On the Tracks and/or Desire but Rolling Thunder Revue has been done. I appreciate it but I can't really see anything being added that would be an improvement or really beneficial. But then again, they released a crapload of stuff from the '60s so maybe they will. Someone will project how much money people are willing to spend and then they'll start the presses.

The Bootleg Series has stepped up its game since then; two discs worth of material on the Rolling Thunder Revue is definitely not enough to warrant it done.

I think we'll definitely see a Blood on the Tracks/Desire/RTR box set next year, and Lord I hope it's 32 discs large.

PostPosted: Mon January 8th, 2018, 08:51 GMT 

Nightingale's Code wrote:
^Trouble No More was a one-listen only for me, so a thorough release on the (vastly superior) years preceding it would be a very welcome treat.

Although that period of Dylan's output is not my favourite I have to admit that I was favourably impressed with my 2CD set of Trouble No More. I've played it a lot more than Saved or Shot but am well up for the '74 - '76 release if it materialises.

PostPosted: Mon January 8th, 2018, 10:26 GMT 

Nightingale's Code wrote:
^Trouble No More was a one-listen only for me, so a thorough release on the (vastly superior) years preceding it would be a very welcome treat.

I didn't buy TNM but had the box for some weeks here with me.
After listening to less than half of the material I liberated me from the duty of playing the whole thing.
Other may love TNM, but I found it quite tiring and redundant to listen to the same message again and again.
I'm really looking forward for BS14 hoping that it will contain the Rolling Thunder years or stunning NET performances or something completely unexpected!

PostPosted: Mon January 8th, 2018, 17:02 GMT 

I'm a big Bob fan, but I don't know how you all can handle these huge box sets. Even if I had the money (and I don't!), those are just too big and daunting for me. I got the "Trouble No More" 2 disc set for my birthday, and I've listened it nonstop for almost two months. It's wonderful.

But I just don't need 27 different versions of the same song. Hell, I listened to the two disc version of "The Cutting Edge", and I thought that was pretty redundant. I'd much rather just get out my "Live 1965" or "Bringing It All Back Home" or whatever classic you can name and enjoy it yet again. Stuff that good never gets old. But, to each his own, of course. And I'm sure Bob and his generations of Dylans are happy to have all of you on board!

PostPosted: Sun January 14th, 2018, 12:40 GMT 
Promethium Member

mystic garden wrote:
I think we'll definitely see a Blood on the Tracks/Desire/RTR box set next year, and Lord I hope it's 32 discs large.

HopE wrote:
Other may love TNM, but I found it quite tiring and redundant to listen to the same message again and again.

holliswatson wrote:
I just don't need 27 different versions of the same song. Hell, I listened to the two disc version of "The Cutting Edge", and I thought that was pretty redundant.

These comments ring true to me.
I will purchase the deluxe set of whatever comes out, just to have it.
But, must admit the following only made it through one spin, if that:
- No Direction Home
- Witmark
- Basement Box
- Cutting Edge Box
- Trouble Box

If the next box contains repetitious songs it will probably end up on the same list.
But it will be purchased, regardless.
Nice to know these are there, if needed.

I do go back to the others from time to time.
For instance, might throw on Another Self right now &
follow it up with Tell Tale!

PostPosted: Sun January 14th, 2018, 18:01 GMT 
Titanium Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
For instance, might throw on Another Self right now &
follow it up with Tell Tale!

That's a helluva one-two punch!

PostPosted: Sun January 14th, 2018, 19:50 GMT 

I'm kind of shocked, but Trouble No More is still the primary thing being played in my car 2.5 months later. There's so much there, and so much variety there given the 8 discs, that my wife and I seem to always find something new to appreciate on the album.

PostPosted: Sun January 14th, 2018, 21:07 GMT 

belleseb32 wrote:
I'm kind of shocked, but Trouble No More is still the primary thing being played in my car 2.5 months later. There's so much there, and so much variety there given the 8 discs, that my wife and I seem to always find something new to appreciate on the album.

Same here, being played every day. I'm back to Toronto for the last few days.
Disks 3-6 are probably getting the most rotation. I'm not even close to laying
it aside for a few weeks.

PostPosted: Sun January 14th, 2018, 21:12 GMT 

gerardv wrote:
belleseb32 wrote:

Same here, being played every day. I'm back to Toronto for the last few days.
Disks 3-6 are probably getting the most rotation. I'm not even close to laying
it aside for a few weeks.

I'm standing in the middle.

I listen very often - almost daily - to the unreleased tracks I've collected in a single CD.
(including Abraham & Jesus Met the Woman).

The rest is (almost) silenced.

PostPosted: Sun January 14th, 2018, 21:58 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
- No Direction Home
- Witmark
- Basement Box
- Cutting Edge Box
- Trouble Box

WHAAATTT????

Some of Dylan's greatest ever work dismissed, right there. You CANNOT BEGIN to judge them on one listen.

Personally, the Basement Box ranks as my number one Dylan album of all time. It's a treasure trove.

PostPosted: Mon January 15th, 2018, 15:48 GMT 
Promethium Member

mjmooney wrote:
Still Go Barefoot wrote:
- No Direction Home
- Witmark
- Basement Box
- Cutting Edge Box
- Trouble Box

WHAAATTT????

Some of Dylan's greatest ever work dismissed, right there. You CANNOT BEGIN to judge them on one listen.

Personally, the Basement Box ranks as my number one Dylan album of all time. It's a treasure trove.

Indeed, if only it had remained buried...

We would be able to long for the "what may be" instead of having to live with the disappointing reality of "what is".

With the exception of the Trouble No More box set, this is my opinion of everything else Still Go Barefoot noted above... and you can add everything else from the '60s to it. After 50 years I still don't see anything interesting, worthwhile, or necessary contained therein.

PostPosted: Mon January 15th, 2018, 18:20 GMT 
Promethium Member

mjmooney wrote:
Still Go Barefoot wrote:
- No Direction Home
- Witmark
- Basement Box
- Cutting Edge Box
- Trouble Box

WHAAATTT????

Just wanna make it clear that just because these releases
only saw one spin or less, I do NOT qualify them as “dismissed.”
Those are your speculative words, not my REAL words, thoughts or intent.

Yes, I understand the Basement Box is fun.
Believe me “Tree With Roots” was my go-to for that period till this.

And plenty of other non-commercial boots from lots of 66 shows, etc., made these new slick sets ‘must-owns,’ but not “must-play-every-minutes.”

Untrodden is correct regarding the irony of wanting what you can’t have.

I am perfectly content owning these BS’s and will touch them from time to time, no doubt, to retrieve something or re-live whatever.

Also, I will continue to buy most of what becomes officially available, as long as it isn’t regurgitation of the same past recordings. Just not gonna sit there listening to the same songs over & over very much.
Very pleased to buy them and happy to own them!

Catching the tour live a couple/few times a year works great these days too, still better than any recording can do (for me).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8